Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    My mother almost hit a cyclist

    I was talking on the phone with her today, and somehow the subject of bicycles came up-- -- and she mentioned that she almost hit a bicyclist. She went to get some take-out at a restaurant. It was near dusk, with low light conditions, and she was in the driveway, watching approaching traffic, waiting for traffic to pass so she could pull out into the street. After traffic had passed, she looked both ways, then took her foot off the brake, but hadn't yet applied gas, when a wrong-way cyclist riding on the sidewalk crossed in front of her. She didn't see him until he was directly in front of her.

    I asked if he had lights on his bike; she wasn't sure. I asked if he was wearing a helmet; she said yes. The main problem here was that he was riding wrong way-- she was watching oncoming traffic, although she did briefly look the other way before proceeding. He compounded that error by riding on the sidewalk. She said "If he had been in the street, I would have seen him, even if he was riding the wrong way."

  2. #2
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The side walk in front of your moms house is one way? Never heard of that. I thought sidewalks were able to be travelled on in both directions.

  3. #3
    One speed: FAST ! fordfasterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Posts
    3,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    The side walk in front of your moms house is one way? Never heard of that. I thought sidewalks were able to be travelled on in both directions.

    N_C got jokes.

    LOL
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    The side walk in front of your moms house is one way? Never heard of that. I thought sidewalks were able to be travelled on in both directions.
    It was in front of a restaurant. But no, sidewalks aren't one-way. The problem is this cyclist was riding against traffic, and on the sidewalk. That may not be illegal, but it's the kind of behavior that will clean out his end of the gene pool if he keeps it up. She said that if he had been in the street, but riding the wrong way, she would have seen him. She didn't see him riding on the sidewalk. Remember, low light conditions, riding in an unexpected place, against traffic. If he had been a pedestrian, she would have seen him because pedestrians move slower. But a cyclist is moving at a faster rate, and when compounded with riding against traffic and on the sidewalk, at dusk, he wasn't seen until he passed in front of her car.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bootiful Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt
    Posts
    2,024
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order
    It was in front of a restaurant. But no, sidewalks aren't one-way. The problem is this cyclist was riding against traffic, and on the sidewalk. That may not be illegal, but it's the kind of behavior that will clean out his end of the gene pool if he keeps it up. She said that if he had been in the street, but riding the wrong way, she would have seen him. She didn't see him riding on the sidewalk. Remember, low light conditions, riding in an unexpected place, against traffic. If he had been a pedestrian, she would have seen him because pedestrians move slower. But a cyclist is moving at a faster rate, and when compounded with riding against traffic and on the sidewalk, at dusk, he wasn't seen until he passed in front of her car.
    I do not think it is about the pedestrians being slower, rather that they don't step out in front of vehicles in the scenario you describe.
    Inside me is a thin man dying to get out.
    (He is kept comfortable by some pie, a half case of Bud, two cheese-dogs and a big screen Sony.)

  6. #6
    Banned Bikepacker67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ogopogo's shoreline
    My Bikes
    LHT, Kona Smoke
    Posts
    4,063
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say your mother almost hit a cyclist, I'd say a dumbass on a bike nearly ran into your mother.

    "Get off the damn sidewalk, and travel with traffic!"

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The speed difference between a ped and cyclist does matter, because motorists only scan the sidewalk for a distance 6 ft away from the path of the car before they cross the sidewalk. Riding on the sidewalk also places cyclists closer to visual obstructions, which delays the point where they can be noticed.

  8. #8
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,356
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is precisely the reason I hate jogging or walking contraflow -- motorists simply do not look in that direction.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  9. #9
    Banned Bikepacker67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ogopogo's shoreline
    My Bikes
    LHT, Kona Smoke
    Posts
    4,063
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E
    This is precisely the reason I hate jogging or walking contraflow -- motorists simply do not look in that direction.

    Even if you're driving in a car, you need to be careful.
    One of the three car accidents I've had in my life was when I was passing (in a legal passing lane) and a car from a sidestreet pulled out in the middle of my pass.

    I control braked and moved to the right so as the incompetent only clipped my left side - the cops were called, and she was cited.

  10. #10
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blue Order, was she any place I might recognize in the area? Trying to visualize here.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donnamb
    Blue Order, was she any place I might recognize in the area? Trying to visualize here.
    No, it's in California.

  12. #12
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP
    The speed difference between a ped and cyclist does matter, because motorists only scan the sidewalk for a distance 6 ft away from the path of the car before they cross the sidewalk. Riding on the sidewalk also places cyclists closer to visual obstructions, which delays the point where they can be noticed.
    While riding on a sidewalk is not the best idea... the idea that you can only see 6 feet is rather unusual. I find I can usually see to about 1/2 up a block when I am driving. Now perhaps I would not see a cyclists approaching at 20MPH... but rarely do cyclists on sidewalks do 20MPH. Most of the contra-flow sidewalk cyclists I see around here are kids moving at about 8-12MPH or less. The adult contra flow sidewalk cyclists are moving at about the same speeds and are larger, thus easier to see.

    Perhaps motorists need to learn to look both ways at sidewalks. And look twice... instead of that blink-glance that usually passes for "Gee, I looked." (and is too often followed by "I just didn't see... " )

  13. #13
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Order
    ...she was in the driveway, watching approaching traffic, waiting for traffic to pass so she could pull out into the street. After traffic had passed, she looked both ways, then took her foot off the brake, but hadn't yet applied gas, when a wrong-way cyclist riding on the sidewalk crossed in front of her. She didn't see him until he was directly in front of her.
    This has happened to me a number of times as a pedestrian. I learned a long time ago not to cross in front of a motorist who is looking the other way (I've often clapped my hands loudly to get their attention first, or waited, or even crossed behind their vehicle.)
    No worries

  14. #14
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
    This has happened to me a number of times as a pedestrian. I learned a long time ago not to cross in front of a motorist who is looking the other way (I've often clapped my hands loudly to get their attention first, or waited, or even crossed behind their vehicle.)
    Yeah, motorists develop bad habits and then don't understand why "I just didn't see them... "

  15. #15
    Senior Member R-Wells's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    614
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec
    Yeah, motorists develop bad habits and then don't understand why "I just didn't see them... "
    Aparantly cyclsts also develop bad habits and then wonder why motorist with bad habits didnt see them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •