Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    470
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do I need to replace my helmet?

    Sorry if this has been discussed, but a search didn't turn up anything. The plastic part on the outside of my helmet is in rough shape. A few weeks ago, it started coming off my helmet, so I used some electrical tape to go around the entire plastic piece so that it doesn't fall off. Yesterday, I noticed that there are cracks in the plastic towards the front of the helmet. I put some electrical tape around that too so that it wouldn't continue to crack. My question is.....does this affect the integrity of the helmet in an event of a crash? I don't really care how it looks, I just want to make sure that I'm being safe. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Dai Baka! Brate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, TX.
    My Bikes
    Marin-Bobcat Trail XC
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say yes replace it, but I'm no professional.
    Vas Corp Por!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Hambone's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bootiful Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    GT Edge for the road/Specialized Hopper (well the frame and the bb, everything else is new) for the dirt
    Posts
    2,024
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnydelnegro
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but a search didn't turn up anything. The plastic part on the outside of my helmet is in rough shape. A few weeks ago, it started coming off my helmet, so I used some electrical tape to go around the entire plastic piece so that it doesn't fall off. Yesterday, I noticed that there are cracks in the plastic towards the front of the helmet. I put some electrical tape around that too so that it wouldn't continue to crack. My question is.....does this affect the integrity of the helmet in an event of a crash? I don't really care how it looks, I just want to make sure that I'm being safe. Any help would be appreciated.
    the plastic outside keeps the styrofoam inside together in case your head bounces on the pavement two or more times. (That is how it was explained to me.)

    Considering how inexpensive a new helmet is...

    (FYI: if you don't care too much about looks, those skate board/hockey like helmets, from what I can tell, are built to withstand more abuse. And do not need to be replaced after one accident.)
    Inside me is a thin man dying to get out.
    (He is kept comfortable by some pie, a half case of Bud, two cheese-dogs and a big screen Sony.)

  4. #4
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're kidding right?

    There are hundreds (I'm kidding) of threads on this topic.

    Bike Helmets - How old is too old?

  5. #5
    Pinstriper SemperFi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    05' Specialized Sequoia Elite, Raleigh M40 Mountain Bike
    Posts
    489
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the sake of your own safety get a new one.
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Ride On!

  6. #6
    Senior Member DieselDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger
    Posts
    8,525
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to ask, then you've answered your own question.
    Bikes use brakes to stop.

    If your bike has breaks, don't ride it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Montreal
    My Bikes
    Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
    Posts
    6,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since the chance of hitting your head while cycling is so remote, your helmet will be fine. When you are at a place selling hemets, check them out, and if there is one that matches your favorite cycling clothes and it looks good on you - buy it.

  8. #8
    Senior Member John Wilke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,917
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDan
    If you have to ask, then you've answered your own question.
    I agree. Do you think you need a new helmet?

    jw

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP
    Since the chance of hitting your head while cycling is so remote, your helmet will be fine.
    Which is another way of saying "as long as you don't land on your head, your helmet will be fine."

  10. #10
    Senior Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    My Bikes
    Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)
    Posts
    2,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an old Giro helmet whose plastic was doing the same thing after many hours in the sun. The cracks could be a sign that your plastic is undergoing degradation caused by UV. If it is the plastic won't even hold itself together in a crash. I would replace it. I find my helmets last about a year if I ride 6000 miles or so.
    Sunrise saturday,
    I was biking the backroads,
    lost in the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •