Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    8speed DinoSORAs Ed Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Oxford, UK or Mountain View, Ca
    Posts
    2,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cyclicular Vehicling

    As a cyclicular vehicling (CV) advocate, I promote the use of techniques which aim to promote my use and right of use of the road as a driver. This is the only method by which one may be percieved to be a valid road user by others.

    This post is offered as a working document and FAQ to define and provide information about what is and is not CV. Some examples of CV, and other aspects of driving technique include:

    Taking the bike lane
    DLLP
    PEEK-A-BOO
    Pros and cons of mirrors and their use
    Effective signalling
    Wrong way driving
    Sidewalk driving

    Debate please
    Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

  2. #2
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Holland
    As a cyclicular vehicling (CV) advocate, I promote the use of techniques which aim to promote my use and right of use of the road as a driver. This is the only method by which one may be percieved to be a valid road user by others.

    This post is offered as a working document and FAQ to define and provide information about what is and is not CV. Some examples of CV, and other aspects of driving technique include:

    Taking the bike lane
    DLLP
    PEEK-A-BOO
    Pros and cons of mirrors and their use
    Effective signalling
    Wrong way driving
    Sidewalk driving

    Debate please
    Do you wear a helmet? Do you come to a complete stop?

    And stats. I want to see some stats. The more confusing the stats, the more I believe it.
    No worries

  3. #3
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,456
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
    Do you wear a helmet? Do you come to a complete stop?

    And stats. I want to see some stats. The more confusing the stats, the more I believe it.
    Wearing a carbon fiber collander on your head with a can of WD-40 attached with LBS bought bungee cords is 100% effective in warding off bicyclists' injuries and accidents. There are zero recorded instances of any cyclist ever even getting so much as a scratched pinky while wearing this safety attire. How's that for a safety statistic to take to the bank?

    Almost as good is riding the wrong way in the middle of the left lane of an Interstate at midnight during an eclipse of the moon. Another 100% safe activity since there are also no recorded instances of bicyclist injury under such conditions; ever. And the cyclists doesn't need to worry about rear lights, reflectors or conspicuousness, since it does not change the outcome - zero accidents. The proof is in the stats, eh?
    Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-05-06 at 11:30 AM.

  4. #4
    Dominatrikes sbhikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Still in Santa Barbara
    My Bikes
    Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.
    Posts
    4,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I promote the use of techniques which aim to promote my use and right of use of the road as a driver.
    I think your list is wrong. These are the techniques:
    • SLP - Static lane positioning. Hold your lane. Don't yield to any bicyclists. Add Heavy-handed horn use to add extra oomph to your position.
    • DLLP - Dynamic Lateral Lane Positioning or the Psych-swerve technique. That's right--psych out those bikes by aiming right at 'em. Teach them to take up space on our roads by showing them they're going to be hit. Swerve out of the way at the last minute and laugh at them.
    • Anti-Peekaboo - Hold your lane and refuse to move over when bikes are in your way. Pretend you can't even see them. Never look them in the eye. Don't even turn your head in their direction. Brush past as close as possible. Leave them guessing. Was that on purpose or did they not see me?
    • Mirrors are for looking back at the cyclist to see how they reacted. Laugh at them if they look scared.
    • Signaling is only for other valid road users. Never signal when a bicyclist is around. Who cares about them.
    • Wrong way driving - see DLLP above.
    ~Diane
    Recumbents: Lightning Thunderbolt, '06 Catrike Pocket. Upright: Trek Mountain Bike.
    8.5 mile commute. I like bike lanes.

  5. #5
    8speed DinoSORAs Ed Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Oxford, UK or Mountain View, Ca
    Posts
    2,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good stuff, keep it coming

    Oh, I forgot :-

    Sounding the horn to announce your presence and superiority.
    Left hooking methods for beginners (or right hook, if your Brit, Aussie, Japanese...)
    The cellphone and you - how to make the most of drive time.
    Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

  6. #6
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't drive in the "Pedal Zone" or you'll get your doors scratched up.

  7. #7
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember, you are driving a car and have the right of way over cyclists, who are nuts to be on the road, anyway. These cyclists remind me of squirrels, they get in your way, and might make you have a crash trying to avoid them.

    They really should get better jobs so they can afford to drive cars like everyone else.
    No worries

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great!

    What are the Ten Commandments of the Church of Cyclicular Vehicling? And I nominate Ed Holland as the Pope and Keeper of the Faith of the Church of Cyclicular Vehicling, anyone second my motion?
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  9. #9
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,921
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always drive fast and overtake in the right most lane... which is usually empty anyway... or only has a couple slow things in it.

  10. #10
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,921
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed limits... what speed limits. Go with the flow... if the flow is too slow, push it along. Power rules, man.

  11. #11
    Dominatrikes sbhikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Still in Santa Barbara
    My Bikes
    Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.
    Posts
    4,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by San Rensho
    This is great!

    What are the Ten Commandments of the Church of Cyclicular Vehicling? And I nominate Ed Holland as the Pope and Keeper of the Faith of the Church of Cyclicular Vehicling, anyone second my motion?
    I nominate Bubba from Alabama or Arkansas.
    ~Diane
    Recumbents: Lightning Thunderbolt, '06 Catrike Pocket. Upright: Trek Mountain Bike.
    8.5 mile commute. I like bike lanes.

  12. #12
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought Bubba lived in California.

    No worries

  13. #13
    DoB
    DoB is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Detroit, MI
    Posts
    349
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only drive my car on the sidewalk....the roads just don't feel safe.

    I give pedestrians a little toot on the horn to let em know I'm coming, but a lot of them still look surprised when I drive by. And I drive pretty slow too, I never exceed 40 mph on the sidewalk.

  14. #14
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drive at night without my lights. No braking, 'cause those lights would give me away, too.

    It should go without saying that I'm going against traffic. Ignorant oncoming idiots.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  15. #15
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem driving in the door zone. If anyone opens their door, it'll just get ripped off.
    No worries

  16. #16
    Speed Demon *roll eyes*
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Waterloo, Ontario
    My Bikes
    1998 specialized s-works mtn bike / 2005 Kona Jake the Snake
    Posts
    982
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
    Wearing a carbon fiber collander on your head with a can of WD-40 attached with LBS bought bungee cords is 100% effective in warding off bicyclists' injuries and accidents. There are zero recorded instances of any cyclist ever even getting so much as a scratched pinky while wearing this safety attire. How's that for a safety statistic to take to the bank?

    Almost as good is riding the wrong way in the middle of the left lane of an Interstate at midnight during an eclipse of the moon. Another 100% safe activity since there are also no recorded instances of bicyclist injury under such conditions; ever. And the cyclists doesn't need to worry about rear lights, reflectors or conspicuousness, since it does not change the outcome - zero accidents. The proof is in the stats, eh?
    Who cares? This is about driving a car anyways. DOWN WITH THOSE SLOW POKES! (and that includes speed limit anals who cannot get out of my way!!! )
    1998 Specialized S-works Hardtail - hotrodded
    2005 Kona Jake the Snake cyclocross

  17. #17
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,456
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Holland
    As a cyclicular vehicling (CV) advocate, I promote the use of techniques which aim to promote my use and right of use of the road as a driver. This is the only method by which one may be percieved to be a valid road user by others.
    Never describe riding a bike as "riding a bike". In the Cyclicular Vehicling-Vehicular Cycling Continuum bicyclists "drive" a bicycle, therefore are by Newspeak definition indistinguishable from other valid road users. Case closed. What could be simpler for CV/VC advocates?

  18. #18
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,456
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtsmile
    Who cares? This is about driving a car anyways. DOWN WITH THOSE SLOW POKES! (and that includes speed limit anals who cannot get out of my way!!! )
    You don't understand at all; drivers are drivers, vehicles are vehicles. What's the difference? Eh?

  19. #19
    Bike Junkie aadhils's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    My Bikes
    Orange Brompton M3L; Milwaukee Bicycle Co. Fixie (Eddy Orange)
    Posts
    1,587
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's Cyclicular and what's Vehicling? My searches proved fruitless...

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Vehicling

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cyclicular

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,437
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aadhils
    What's Cyclicular and what's Vehicling? My searches proved fruitless...

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Vehicling

    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cyclicular
    We have to create an entry in Wikipedia for Cyclicular Vehicling!
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  21. #21
    Huachuca Rider webist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    My Bikes
    Fuji CCR1, Specialized Roubaix
    Posts
    4,274
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I'm a little surprised that "Head Helmet" hasn't weighed in here.
    Just Peddlin' Around

  22. #22
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webist
    I guess I'm a little surprised that "Head Helmet" hasn't weighed in here.
    Want me to weigh in? This is an idiotic thread that irresponsibly pokes fun at what is probably the only realistic, practical and effective way to reduce the number of cyclist lives lost to bike-car crashes: changing cyclist behavior.

  23. #23
    Banned Bikepacker67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ogopogo's shoreline
    My Bikes
    LHT, Kona Smoke
    Posts
    4,086
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBigMan
    I thought Bubba lived in California.


    I thought he lived in Harlem.
    Whoops... that's just his office...

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    My Bikes
    Raleigh
    Posts
    111
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can easily do Cyclical Vehicling with a Smart Car, which is no bigger than a riding law mower.

  25. #25
    My bicycle is fixed Brian Sorrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Riverside, CA
    My Bikes
    '08 Surly Steamroller, '05 Fuji Touring
    Posts
    1,017
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Holland
    The cellphone and you - how to make the most of drive time.
    Holy crap that's funny.

    A co-worker advised her 16 year old new driver daughter yesterday the following:

    "Don't change the radio stations while you're on the phone."

    The wide variety of ways in which this frightens me are almost inexpressible -- especially given that these people live a few miles from me and I bike-commute to work. I have a new technique to avoid her car -- it's called "Stay the f^c< away from Kia Rios".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •