Our local Bike/Ped Advisory Committee (BPAC) has an excellent opportunity to educate our Department of Public Works on bicycle infrastructure. A bike network was started here in the late 90's, but put aside until just recently, when the DPW asked some of us to help them pick the effort back up again. Much of the personnel has changed in the interrim, including most of us from the BPAC, as well as the city Transportation Engineer. At the last meeting, we were discussing design standards, and the city asked us on the BPAC to make a recommendation to them as to which guidelines document we think is the best. Coincidently(?), we at the BPAC had just identified this at our last meeting as a way that we could help the city!
I would like to ask your help in identifying possible standards to look at. I know there's a ton out there, so your recommendation will help us make sure that we have not missed any important ones to review, but also help us get a head start in evaluation. Since we are the U.S., I think it makes sense to limit our list to North American documents. Here's what's on our list so far:
- AASHTO Guide for the Development of Bicycle Facilities
- Bike Lane Design Guide (Chicago)
- City of Portland (OR) Bicycle Master Plan
- USAF Landscape Design Guide
- FHWA Bicycle Compatibility Index Implementation Manual
- FHWA "Selecting Roadway Design Treatments to Accommodate Bicycles"
- Minnesota Bicycle Transportation Planning and Design Guidelines
- Oregon Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan
- Guidelines for Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities in Texas
- New Jersey Planning and Design Guidelines
- Hamilton ON Design Guideline for Bikeways
- Street Design Guidelines for Healthy Neighborhoods
- UNC HSRC Bicycle Compatibility Index
Specific questions, if that helps you formulate thoughts:
- Can you recommend any good ones you've found that are not on our list? (I'm sure there's plenty in California that I don't have here.) If you have an online link, that would be GREAT!
- Do any on or off the list really stand out for you?
- We are also interested in exploring the sharrow concept. I'm not aware of any of these discussing sharrows, although I haven't read them all. Do you know of any guidelines, on or off the above list, that include sharrows?
Thanks for any input you have!