I'm inspired now. Thanks the the recent Iowa Bicycle Summit that is. I am tired of the way to slow progress being made regarding bicycle facilties. Not to say nothing is being done, there is.
First here is what is being done:
1. The Parks & Rec. Director has a file on Complete Streets info.
2. Funding for Safe Routes to School has been applied for for the new Unity Elementary School.
3. The bridge project is underway, the funding for it should be completed in the next month or so.
Here is what needs to be done & what I will push hard to get done.
1. Adopt a Complete Streets Policy for Sioux City. The info. is doing no one any good sitting in a file somewhere. I'm going to approach the MPO, the city. gov. & parks & rec. dept. about this all at the same time.
2. Find out what the funding, if granted for the Safe Routes to School, is going to be used for for Unity Elementary & advocate for all of the schools to be included & funded in the future. I'm also going to approach the private schools about this as well. The funding can be used for both public & private schools.
3. Push for Riverside Blvd to be put on a road diet. See this thread for details on that: Time for change.
I am going to do this with or with out the help & support of the Siouxland Trails Foundation. It will be easier with. I will be very aggressive but diplomatic with this as well. I know that sounds contradictory but I think I can pull it off.
Tell me what you think about these ideas. Any questions or comments are welcome.