Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    bike cop hit by motorist

    details are sketchy, but a cop on a bike was in the lane and got hit by a motorist in Tacoma.

    was the bike cop at fault? did the driver fail to yield? or was the policeman just not conspicious enough? perhaps an electronic distraction device used by the driver at the time of the collision prevented the driver from noticing the policeman.

    further evidence as to the fallacy of lane position as traffic cure-all, regardless of lane position.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  2. #2
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,521
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With "sketchy details" as you mention, how can any such conclusion be made regarding the "fallacy of lane position?"

    For all you have presented... the cop may have been on a sidewalk crossing a driveway.

  3. #3
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, he was reported as being in the lane and hit by cross traffic.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    oh, he was reported as being in the lane and hit by cross traffic.
    Yeah, but was he POWERWEAVING™? Was he using a steely-eyed Alpha Dog stare? Did he anticipate that he would get hit?

    Is there ANY way at all we could blame this on the cyclist?

  5. #5
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Lord Master Forester and his little dog HH, the cop probably caused it due to his own error.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    I've had enough.
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definately the bike cops fault!!
    He failed to make sure the road was completely clear of people, the pastures completely clear of cows, and that no meteorites were falling from the skies.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrosseyedCrickt
    Definately the bike cops fault!!
    He failed to make sure the road was completely clear of people, the pastures completely clear of cows, and that no meteorites were falling from the skies.
    And the text-messaging driver who hit him was involved in a useful economic activity.

  8. #8
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude, the bike cop likely overlooked the meteorites! but it was definetly his fault, his lane position just wasn't exactly right, even though the driver violated right of way rules.

    seems like some drivers are not paying attention, and if that's what some drivers do, we as bikers should be cognizant of that, and prepare for it.

    how could it be a drivers fault for failing to notice the bike cop? the cop should have noticed the car, and premptively avoided the collision. since he did not, it was his fault for failing to adjust for a distracted driver on a cross street.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  9. #9
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    how could it be a drivers fault for failing to notice the bike cop? the cop should have noticed the car, and premptively avoided the collision. since he did not, it was his fault for failing to adjust for a distracted driver on a cross street.
    It was the cop's fault because he wasn't left-handed. If he were, all the motorists would have noticed him due to the conspicuity of his firearm.

    All smart-aleck remarks aside, that's really sad to hear, Bek. My personal experiences with bike cops are among the most positive I've had with law enforcement. Will you keep us apprised of the details as you learn them?

  10. #10
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes, donna. it is always tragic to hear of injuries from traffic accidents. i shouldn't be making such levity of a serious situation, but wanted to use this accident to illustrate the failure of lane position to protect against distracted drivers.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  11. #11
    Striving for Fredness deputyjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Old Giant Rincon
    Posts
    1,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    According to Lord Master Forester and his little dog HH...
    Monsignor: We must always fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men.
    Connor: I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
    Murphy: Aye.

    OttawaCountyDSA.com

  12. #12
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    yes, donna. it is always tragic to hear of injuries from traffic accidents. i shouldn't be making such levity of a serious situation, but wanted to use this accident to illustrate the failure of lane position to protect against distracted drivers.
    Yeah, if a on-duty (I presume?) police officer took the lane and it didn't matter, I can't help but wonder what that means for the rest of us. I can't speak for the Tacoma area, but our bike cops look pretty darn cop-like. If you don't notice that, you're driving in a coma.

  13. #13
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some pretty sick comments here.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S. Riding, Va.
    My Bikes
    2 Road, 1 SS/FG
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI
    Some pretty sick comments here.
    You got that right.

  15. #15
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you guys haven't heard of traffic accidents? they happen often, hawaii dudes.

    my post #8 mirrors the comments by the A&S rezident bike blamer helemt head as to why bikes are at fault even when distracted drivers are factored into the accident scenario.

    Oh, it was a cop on a motorbike, BTW.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  16. #16
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,521
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donnamb
    Yeah, if a on-duty (I presume?) police officer took the lane and it didn't matter, I can't help but wonder what that means for the rest of us. I can't speak for the Tacoma area, but our bike cops look pretty darn cop-like. If you don't notice that, you're driving in a coma.
    But golly so many drivers are in a "coma..." somewhere in their climate controlled environment, with the built in multi speaker entertainment center, behind their tinted glass windows, tending to business on cell phones and text messaging while perched on fine Corinthean leather; I am surprised they find time to even tend to the coffee and donuts they pick up at the local drive thru window. Driving??? what is that? Oh and where are those cigarettes... and golly don't forget to primp the hair.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Wakulla County, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale mb, Catrike Pocket
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Not Obvious to Everyone

    I am under no illusion, despite the Taser, Glock, helmet and radio that I am recognized as a bike cop...at least by motorist. One of the local thugs we got last summer actually saw our approach but did not realize who we were until it was to late. He complained that he thought we were "those f!!!!!!g Mormons". I also got attitude from a first responder at a motorcycle crash until he realized there was a reason two of us were dressed alike and packing heat. I think as our program continues more people will get use to recognizing us but would still not think that the bike cop status would make me car proof/resistant.
    05 Cannondale F600
    96 Cannondale M500
    84 Ross Mt. Hood ss
    05 Fuji Police Special

  18. #18
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma198
    He complained that he thought we were "those f!!!!!!g Mormons".
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  19. #19
    tired donnamb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
    Posts
    5,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma198
    I am under no illusion, despite the Taser, Glock, helmet and radio that I am recognized as a bike cop...at least by motorist. One of the local thugs we got last summer actually saw our approach but did not realize who we were until it was to late. He complained that he thought we were "those f!!!!!!g Mormons". I also got attitude from a first responder at a motorcycle crash until he realized there was a reason two of us were dressed alike and packing heat. I think as our program continues more people will get use to recognizing us but would still not think that the bike cop status would make me car proof/resistant.
    Ah, here where I live, the police issue bike raingear is so like the typical bike commuter's raingear, many men get treated very, very well on the roads because the motorists mistake them for police. Of course, with my red, girly, step-through bike and my purple raincoat, I can't get away with that.

  20. #20
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    you guys haven't heard of traffic accidents? they happen often, hawaii dudes.

    my post #8 mirrors the comments by the A&S rezident bike blamer helemt head as to why bikes are at fault even when distracted drivers are factored into the accident scenario.

    Oh, it was a cop on a motorbike, BTW.
    So, your comments are still sick.
    A motorcycle cop recently lost his life in an accident during a Presidentil escort here in Hawaii. We did not joke about it.

  21. #21
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,352
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI
    So, your comments are still sick.
    A motorcycle cop recently lost his life in an accident during a Presidentil escort here in Hawaii. We did not joke about it.
    Having done the job myself, I'm not offended. Nobody is making a joke about the cop's death, but rather making fun of the usual 'the cyclist was wrong' crap that usually comes with these threads. But it seems we've committed the same offense by doing our poking in this thread.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  22. #22
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,012
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think I have no compassion? plueaze, i've volunteered hundreds, likely thousands of hours of my life in the service of others in life threatening situations requiring rescue and evacuation. I hope the policeman makes a speedy and complete recovery.

    i was using an accident just echoing and parodying the comments often made in A&S by the esteemed armchair cyclist that always blames the cyclist.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  23. #23
    Fritz M richardmasoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom
    According to Lord Master Forester and his little dog HH, the cop probably caused it due to his own error.
    Putting Bekologist and Forester in agreement.

    RFM

  24. #24
    Senior Member Paul L.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    My Bikes
    Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)
    Posts
    2,601
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardmasoner
    Putting Bekologist and Forester in agreement.

    RFM

    With the exception that one is only agreeing by satire.
    Sunrise saturday,
    I was biking the backroads,
    lost in the moment.

  25. #25
    Fritz M richardmasoner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion
    Posts
    954
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist
    i was using an accident just echoing and parodying the comments often made in A&S by the esteemed armchair cyclist that always blames the cyclist.
    You also wrote:
    further evidence as to the fallacy of lane position as traffic cure-all, regardless of lane position.
    In other words, because the cop was in the lane, he was at fault? That's how I read it.

    People in the lane get hit, sure, but so do cyclists on the path crossing the road, cyclists in the gutter, cyclists in the bike lane, and cyclists on sidewalk. If getting rear-ended is a fatal shortcoming of taking the lane, then so is any kind of riding style or engineering short of creating a complete network of fully segregated paths. I don't hold that view, but that's how I'm reading you. If complete safety is what you want, go buy the biggest truck money can buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •