Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 110
  1. #1
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Are they freaking kidding!!!?

    Check this crap out! Some of this is just stupid! I wonder what idiot non-cycling politician dreamt this idea up. Probably the same moron who tried to save cyclists from themselves when he introduced a bill that would have banned all cyclists from roadways where they parrallel a trail.

    http://www.bikeiowa.com/asp/hotnews/...sp?NewsID=2033

  2. #2
    Kicked out of the Webelos bluebottle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What next? Propeller beanies?
    ______________________________________________

    Kicked out of the Webelos.

  3. #3
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle1
    What next? Propeller beanies?
    Yeah really. Then they'll dictate that we have to wear helmets & that the beanies are to go on the outside of the helmet.

    Did you catch what they are doing for those that ride snowmobiles, atv's, etc? click the link at the bottom of the page.

  4. #4
    One speed: FAST ! fordfasterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Posts
    3,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    omg, that bill is ********....
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

  5. #5
    Faster but still slow slowandsteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    My Bikes
    Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
    Posts
    5,979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is wrong with wearing reflective clothing? They already require reflectors which frankly don't work very well. But we do know that reflective clothing does work, so why not? Just think of all the safety features required on a car. You want a bike to be considered a vehicle but you don't want to follow even a fraction of the laws as they apply to cars. What a double standard.
    "Ride lots." -- Eddy Merckx

  6. #6
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the slippery slope. When cycling safety becomes a political issue, all sorts of crazy stuff gets introduced. On the bright side, hardly any of it ever survives past committee, let alone a full vote.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  7. #7
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady
    What is wrong with wearing reflective clothing?
    Nothing, but in the context of making such things required by law for cycling, three words come to mind:

    "barriers to entry"

    If such a law passes you're gonna see a lot more cyclists on the off-road facilities (which I think would be exempt) and less on the roads.

    Imagine what would happen to RAGBRAI if everyone was required to wear reflective clothing and have safety flags...which translates to 'negative economic impact'
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  8. #8
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,884
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I reading this right that the proposal for reflective material is also required during full daylight?

  9. #9
    Belt drive! vtjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont
    My Bikes
    2011 Trek Soho DLX
    Posts
    2,615
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What does a 6x9" flag look like to motorists behind you? I think it looks like this: |


  10. #10
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vtjim
    What does a 6x9" flag look like to motorists behind you? I think it looks like this: |

    Unless there's a good crosswind! Hmm, might as well add that as a requirement too while they're at it: Thou shalt not ride when wind speeds are below 15mph and thou shall keep the wind perpendicular to your direction of travel at all times.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  11. #11
    Mistadobalina AGGRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Clairemont
    My Bikes
    Trek Hilo
    Posts
    572
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I borrow the one on the back of my 5 year olds bike? And yes, from behind it looks like a stick.

  12. #12
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dropmachine.com
    Posts
    4,062
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady
    But we do know that reflective clothing does work, so why not? Just think of all the safety features required on a car. You want a bike to be considered a vehicle but you don't want to follow even a fraction of the laws as they apply to cars. What a double standard.
    I didn't see the law requiring motor vehicles to have reflective tape on the bumper and be painted bright orange. The only visibility requirement for motor vehicles is correct exterior lighting.... which is already a requirement for bikes. All of this flag stuff is above and beyond that.

    I do not get the reasoning behing your implication that vehicles weighing 10-20 times as much as bicycles and travelling 3-5 times as fast should require similar levels of safety equipment.

  13. #13
    8speed DinoSORAs Ed Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Oxford, UK or Mountain View, Ca
    Posts
    2,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oooh, there goes Iowa off the holiday list then

    This stuff is just crazy... must carry ID at all times? for why? and the least said about the flag, the better...
    Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

  14. #14
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    18,971
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Holland
    Oooh, there goes Iowa off the holiday list then

    This stuff is just crazy... must carry ID at all times? for why? and the least said about the flag, the better...
    Do you always react that way when one nobody makes a silly proposal that is going nowhere except the dust bin? Tighten down the straps on the tin foil. The Red Coats are coming!

  15. #15
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s totally whack. Out of curiosity is there a commercially available safety flag that can attach to a regular adult bike that fits these specs? And the big question is there something that can fit ALL bikes? I think that since this is not standard equipment that the state should pay for the refitting of the bikes already sold that do not have this flag, that should shoot down this bill pretty well.
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  16. #16
    chicharron
    Guest
    <<What is wrong with wearing reflective clothing? They already require reflectors which frankly don't work very well. But we do know that reflective clothing does work, so why not? Just think of all the safety features required on a car. You want a bike to be considered a vehicle but you don't want to follow even a fraction of the laws as they apply to cars. What a double standard.>>

    Straight from the mouth of Uncle Buckle the Safety Buffalo!



    whose side are you on anyway?

  17. #17
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What the issue of having to carry an id when riding opens the door to is mandatory liscensing. From there it opens the door to mandatory liability insurance on cyclists & eventually mandatory safety requirments, like helmets, certain style & types of bikes, etc. Where would it end if we let the ******* safety nannies, who in this case are also politicians, have their way?

    Holy crap was I really this bad with my helmet dogma? I sincerly apologize for that. I now see how bad it can be.

  18. #18
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya' know........
    I had a conversation with a non-cycling driver a while back. Went something like this.

    <Idle chit-chat leading up to the good part.>
    Motorist: "The government really needs to do something about the price of gas. The oil speculators have us over a barrel and it's starting to really hurt."
    Me: "Really? I hadn't particularly noticed."
    Motorist: <incredulous> "You haven't noticed three dollar a gallon gas? What kind of car do you drive?"
    Me: "Well, a Toyota Highlander, but it's for the wife and kids. My primary transportation is a bicycle."
    Motorist: <more incredulous> "A bicycle? On these roads? How do you get around without getting run over?"
    Me: "Why would you run over me?"
    Motorist: "Not me, the other drivers."
    Me: "Why would you think you're a better driver than everyone else? What do you measure that by?"
    Motorist: "Well, um....err. Haven't you seen all the idiots on the road?"
    Me: "Not particularly. Every once in awhile somebody will pull a bone-head move, but from what I see, either on the bike or in the car, drivers in this area are, for the most part, excellent."
    Motorist: "You're gonna' get killed out there."
    Me: "Why would you want to kill me?"
    Motorist: "Unbelievable." <walks off>

    The BS in this bill reminds me of that conversation. An egotistical, narcissistic, non-cycling motorist who thinks everybody else is an idiot. People like this are the epitome of people who cause their own problems.

  19. #19
    8speed DinoSORAs Ed Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Oxford, UK or Mountain View, Ca
    Posts
    2,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
    Do you always react that way when one nobody makes a silly proposal that is going nowhere except the dust bin? Tighten down the straps on the tin foil. The Red Coats are coming!
    Not quite sure where you are coming from here. My apologies if I caused any (unintended) offence to Iowans . It was just a light hearted remark.

    Perhaps I misinterpreted the context of the article cited in the original post, but I took it to mean that the bill had become law. Reading again I see (I think) that it has only been introduced. I'm still getting used to the way things run in this country!

    Cheers,

    Ed
    Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

  20. #20
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun
    I had a conversation with a non-cycling driver a while back. Went something like this.

    <Idle chit-chat leading up to the good part.>
    Motorist: "The government really needs to do something about the price of gas. The oil speculators have us over a barrel and it's starting to really hurt."
    Me: "Really? I hadn't particularly noticed."
    Motorist: <incredulous> "You haven't noticed three dollar a gallon gas? What kind of car do you drive?"
    Me: "Well, a Toyota Highlander, but it's for the wife and kids. My primary transportation is a bicycle."
    Motorist: <more incredulous> "A bicycle? On these roads? How do you get around without getting run over?"
    Me: "Why would you run over me?"
    Motorist: "Not me, the other drivers."
    Me: "Why would you think you're a better driver than everyone else? What do you measure that by?"
    Motorist: "Well, um....err. Haven't you seen all the idiots on the road?"
    Me: "Not particularly. Every once in awhile somebody will pull a bone-head move, but from what I see, either on the bike or in the car, drivers in this area are, for the most part, excellent."
    Motorist: "You're gonna' get killed out there."
    Me: "Why would you want to kill me?"
    Motorist: "Unbelievable." <walks off>

  21. #21
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun
    Ya' know........
    I had a conversation with a non-cycling driver a while back. Went something like this.

    <Idle chit-chat leading up to the good part.>
    Motorist: "The government really needs to do something about the price of gas. The oil speculators have us over a barrel and it's starting to really hurt."
    Me: "Really? I hadn't particularly noticed."
    Motorist: <incredulous> "You haven't noticed three dollar a gallon gas? What kind of car do you drive?"
    Me: "Well, a Toyota Highlander, but it's for the wife and kids. My primary transportation is a bicycle."
    Motorist: <more incredulous> "A bicycle? On these roads? How do you get around without getting run over?"
    Me: "Why would you run over me?"
    Motorist: "Not me, the other drivers."
    Me: "Why would you think you're a better driver than everyone else? What do you measure that by?"
    Motorist: "Well, um....err. Haven't you seen all the idiots on the road?"
    Me: "Not particularly. Every once in awhile somebody will pull a bone-head move, but from what I see, either on the bike or in the car, drivers in this area are, for the most part, excellent."
    Motorist: "You're gonna' get killed out there."
    Me: "Why would you want to kill me?"
    Motorist: "Unbelievable." <walks off>

    The BS in this bill reminds me of that conversation. An egotistical, narcissistic, non-cycling motorist who thinks everybody else is an idiot. People like this are the epitome of people who cause their own problems.
    I take it you were not on your bike with him in his car at the time? Or were you on your bike & he was walking?

  22. #22
    N_C
    N_C is offline
    Banned. N_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Bannation, forever.
    Posts
    2,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ILTB,

    I know we don't get along all that well here & don't always see eye to eye & at least for now we are leaving each other alone. Seems there has been an unspoken agreement made to keep the peace here.

    But as an Iowan what do you think of this crap? Are you going to do anyting to help stop it?

    I am, that's for sure.

  23. #23
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't tread on me, tread on them.
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  24. #24
    your nightmare gal chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The Cracker Factory
    Posts
    24,354
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by N_C
    ILTB,

    I know we don't get along all that well here & don't always see eye to eye & at least for now we are leaving each other alone. Seems there has been an unspoken agreement made to keep the peace here.

    But as an Iowan what do you think of this crap? Are you going to do anyting to help stop it?

    I am, that's for sure.
    Contact your own representative to get his/her feel if this bill even has a chance to come out of committee before freaking out. Introducing a bill is just the first step in a long process of approval and the vast majority never see the light of a vote or if they do, end up with vastly different wording and meaning. If approved by the House, a bill usually needs to go to your state Senate, where even more changes could me made or it could be killed. If it survives, but in a different form, then a conference committee has to iron out the differences.

    If your Rep thinks it has a chance, next step is to identify the committee members and start lobbying them with letters and emails....some educational emails to the bill's sponsors may also help. But I don't think this piece of work is ever going to come out of committee.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  25. #25
    DM4
    DM4 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady
    What is wrong with wearing reflective clothing? They already require reflectors which frankly don't work very well. But we do know that reflective clothing does work, so why not? Just think of all the safety features required on a car. You want a bike to be considered a vehicle but you don't want to follow even a fraction of the laws as they apply to cars. What a double standard.
    The most compelling reason not to wear reflective clothing is that it makes you look like a DORK. I would suspect that more than a few drivers will target the DORK.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •