Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-07, 01:45 PM   #126
drroebuck
Ride.
 
drroebuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lameness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcryar
I stopped coming to BF several months ago simply because of all the BS--mostly between 3 or 4 people who constantly dominate every thread with garbage that had very little to do with the original post. I came back today to see if anything was different, and this is the first post I read....
I left BF about a year ago because the mods are way too heavy-handed. This is a good example.

Isn't the beauty of the Internet in its self-governance? If I don't like what someone says, or a thread has been "hijacked," I have three options: argue back, ignore the flamer, go read something else. I much prefer that those options remain mine.

I can understand the need to deal with the most blatant a$$es, etc., but to lock threads because they've veered off topic or become argumentative is condescending and fascist. Dial down the authority and maybe some people won't feel the need to rebel; the remaining jacka$$es you can deal with on a case-by-case basis.

Ah well, back to RBR I go. See ya next year.
drroebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 04:30 PM   #127
joejack951
Senior Member
 
joejack951's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wilmington, DE
Bikes: 1984 Trek 660, 2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2014 Islabikes CNOC 14 (son's)
Posts: 9,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
drroebuck, Completely off-topic but I love the quote in your sig. I read that in a book on bicycle history and laughed at how applicable it still is today.
joejack951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 05:13 PM   #128
Brian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drroebuck
I left BF about a year ago because the mods are way too heavy-handed. This is a good example.

Isn't the beauty of the Internet in its self-governance? If I don't like what someone says, or a thread has been "hijacked," I have three options: argue back, ignore the flamer, go read something else. I much prefer that those options remain mine.

I can understand the need to deal with the most blatant a$$es, etc., but to lock threads because they've veered off topic or become argumentative is condescending and fascist. Dial down the authority and maybe some people won't feel the need to rebel; the remaining jacka$$es you can deal with on a case-by-case basis.

Ah well, back to RBR I go. See ya next year.
You don't get it. And what are all the $ signs for? They just make you look like a jackass.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 10:56 PM   #129
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drroebuck
I left BF about a year ago because the mods are way too heavy-handed. This is a good example.

Isn't the beauty of the Internet in its self-governance? If I don't like what someone says, or a thread has been "hijacked," I have three options: argue back, ignore the flamer, go read something else. I much prefer that those options remain mine.

I can understand the need to deal with the most blatant a$$es, etc., but to lock threads because they've veered off topic or become argumentative is condescending and fascist. Dial down the authority and maybe some people won't feel the need to rebel; the remaining jacka$$es you can deal with on a case-by-case basis.

Ah well, back to RBR I go. See ya next year.
You know, we've got folks like you who say we're too heavy-handed. We've also got an equal number of folks saying moderation here isn't heavy-handed enough. If neither group of people are satisfied with our moderation, I'd say we're doing something right.

I wish you the best in your pursuit of a self-governing Shangri-la. Take care.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 01:12 AM   #130
drroebuck
Ride.
 
drroebuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejack951
drroebuck, Completely off-topic but I love the quote in your sig. I read that in a book on bicycle history and laughed at how applicable it still is today.
Ha! We must have read the same book. Lots of gems in that one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
You don't get it. And what are all the $ signs for? They just make you look like a jackass.
Now there's an intelligent response.


Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamb
You know, we've got folks like you who say we're too heavy-handed. We've also got an equal number of folks saying moderation here isn't heavy-handed enough. If neither group of people are satisfied with our moderation, I'd say we're doing something right.
You may have a point. At the end of the day, however, if a lot of people would just grow up (that includes the provocateurs and the easily provoked) you guys would have a lot less moderating to do.


Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamb
I wish you the best in your pursuit of a self-governing Shangri-la. Take care.
Why thank you. It does exist. I have seen it.

_
drroebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 05:40 AM   #131
Brian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drroebuck
Now there's an intelligent response.
Thank you.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 07:51 PM   #132
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci
 
LittleBigMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 8,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drroebuck
I left BF about a year ago because the mods are way too heavy-handed. This is a good example.

Isn't the beauty of the Internet in its self-governance? If I don't like what someone says, or a thread has been "hijacked," I have three options: argue back, ignore the flamer, go read something else. I much prefer that those options remain mine.

I can understand the need to deal with the most blatant a$$es, etc., but to lock threads because they've veered off topic or become argumentative is condescending and fascist. Dial down the authority and maybe some people won't feel the need to rebel; the remaining jacka$$es you can deal with on a case-by-case basis.

Ah well, back to RBR I go. See ya next year.
Good rant.

Hey, the internet is full of options. Nothing stopping you, really, from saying anything you want, if people want to hear it.
__________________
No worries
LittleBigMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 08:59 PM   #133
Brian
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Brian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Between the mountains and the lake.
Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!
Posts: 16,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll take note of his complaint. Did I mention that since he left, the site has more than doubled in size? I predict that we have have tripled our membership in roughly 18 months. We should hit 79K before the end of the month, so I kind feel we're doing something right.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-07, 09:03 PM   #134
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen his shangri-la. It's ugly, vicious, mean-spirited, and abusive. Thankfully, we have moderators here.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:41 PM   #135
nun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS
Posts: 3,268
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Why is VC separate from A&S

As VC is all about operating a bike in a vehicular manner with all the other vehicles on the road I find it a bit ironic that VC has been consigned to is own little sub-forum ghetto. Is this to keep it away from the general A&S threads so that it won't cause too much trouble?
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:45 PM   #136
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk
 
Little Darwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wilkes-Barre, PA
Bikes: Many
Posts: 8,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Because every thread on every topic was turning into a VC thread.

Some people think that a discussion can sometimes be enlightening without considering the implications as related to vehicular cycling, others don't.
__________________
Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Little Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:48 PM   #137
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
because VC is bicycling advocacy's ******* stepchild- and the vehemence of some of the 'vc' was ruining A&S topics so bad the moderators decided to make a little sandpit for mudslinging that includes prejudice.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 12:51 PM   #138
Script
Senior Member
 
Script's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Florida,Indiana,Pennsylvania
Bikes: Seven (brand, not number....
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekologist View Post
because VC is bicycling advocacy's ******* stepchild- and the vehemence of some of the 'vc' was ruining A&S topics so bad the moderators decided to make a little sandpit for mudslinging that includes prejudice.
And here I thought it was so we would all be on the same page when we started singing 'Kumbaya'

Script is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 01:26 PM   #139
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator
 
KrisPistofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: POS Tennessee
Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
Posts: 7,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
VC needed it's own bike lane. Now HH torments us in P&R about Ron Paul, Ayn Rand and Richard Dawkins all day. You should have to pay us for taking him off your hands.

Last edited by cuda2k; 02-28-08 at 03:21 PM.
KrisPistofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 03:40 PM   #140
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Darwin View Post
Because every thread on every topic was turning into a VC thread.

Some people think that a discussion can sometimes be enlightening without considering the implications as related to vehicular cycling, others don't.
By way of example, somebody whom I shall refer to here as "I Drank the Kool-Aid" replied to a question about which lights would be good for use as daytime flashers with yet another "I drank the Kool-Aid" lecture on lane positioning.

It was happening to every thread:

OP: Can somebody please explain bike fit to me?
I Drank the Kool-Aid: Let me tell you about lane positioning...

OP: So which candidate would be good for cycling?
I Drank the Kool-Aid: Let me tell you about lane positioning...

OP: Can somebody recommend some good rain gear?
I Drank the Kool-Aid: Let me tell you about lane positioning...



...so a VC subforum was created.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 03:43 PM   #141
derath
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Reisterstown, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 3,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Because A&S is the place where everyone can chat and feel like they are actually doing something. the VC forum is the place where everyone can circle jerk around over and over. It is like Foo without the fun.

-D
derath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 04:18 PM   #142
JRA
Senior Member
 
JRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
As VC is all about operating a bike in a vehicular manner...
You must be new here.

The premise is wrong. That's not what VC is all about (if only it were! if only it were!).

VC-ism is so much more (unfortunately). Back in the days when I used to think that VC was all about operating a bike in a vehicular manner, I used to think VC was a good thing. I have a very different view now.

If you want to start an argument among bicyclists, bring up John Forester and his cult-like following. Read the VC forum and you will see thread after thread degenerate into the same tired old fight over whether JF is a god or a demon. It isn't pretty.

Personally, I think the split was a wonderful thing for A&S.
JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 04:42 PM   #143
Helmet Head
Banned.
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Read the VC forum and you will see thread after thread degenerate into the same tired old fight over whether JF is a god or a demon. It isn't pretty.
That's an absurd and totally unsubstantiated claim.

Whatever VC is, it's definitely not a cult of personality.
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 04:46 PM   #144
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯
 
-=(8)=-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
Posts: 7,903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
You must be new here.

The premise is wrong. That's not what VC is all about (if only it were! if only it were!).

VC-ism is so much more (unfortunately). Back in the days when I used to think that VC was all about operating a bike in a vehicular manner, I used to think VC was a good thing. I have a very different view now.

If you want to start an argument among bicyclists, bring up John Forester and his cult-like following. Read the VC forum and you will see thread after thread degenerate into the same tired old fight over whether JF is a god or a demon. It isn't pretty.

Personally, I think the split was a wonderful thing for A&S.
+1
I hate to see useful stuff get fouled by the 4 horseman of VC
__________________
-ADVOCACY-☜ Radical VC = Car people on bikes. Just say "NO"
-=(8)=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:18 PM   #145
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
If you want to start an argument among bicyclists, bring up John Forester and his cult-like following.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head View Post
That's an absurd and totally unsubstantiated claim.

Whatever VC is, it's definitely not a cult of personality.
Is that there what they call "Q.E.D."?

Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 05:57 PM   #146
Helmet Head
Banned.
 
Helmet Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes:
Posts: 13,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
Is that there what they call "Q.E.D."?



But seriously, just because there is controversy about what the ramifications of VC are does not mean it is "much more" than being "all about operating a bike in a vehicular manner...".

In fact, it is because VC is "all about operating a bike in a vehicular manner...", and bike lanes are not, that that part of the controversy exists.
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:05 PM   #147
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I vote this thread gets moved to the VC forum.
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:08 PM   #148
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head View Post




Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head View Post
But seriously, just because there is controversy about what the ramifications of VC are does not mean it is "much more" than being "all about operating a bike in a vehicular manner...".

In fact, it is because VC is "all about operating a bike in a vehicular manner...", and bike lanes are not, that that part of the controversy exists.
I question that premise. Look at any highway in California. The left lane is almost always an HOV lane. With some exceptions for ZEV and ULEV vehicles, single-occupancy vehicles are not permitted to operate in those lanes. And yet nobody would claim that vehicles excluded from the HOV lanes are not "vehicles," or are not being operated "vehicularly."
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:23 PM   #149
JRA
Senior Member
 
JRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Louis
Bikes:
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allister View Post
I vote this thread gets moved to the VC forum.
LOL

Seconded
JRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 07:04 PM   #150
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I merged it with Brian's original thread on the topic. The decision stands, as does the reasons behind it.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:11 PM.