Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-21-07, 09:57 AM   #1
BikeImpotence
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Crazy Riders

For the record, I am not a cyclist but I am an avid runner.

But, I came across one this morning. This guy blew a stop sign around a blind corner, taking a right turn at 20mph onto a major road during rushour. Guess who he scared the **** out of. He turned right into my lane of travel (rightmost). I couldn't slow down in time (blind corner) and couldn't swerve (car to my left, no shoulder to the right). I honked as I went by at his reckless behavior. At the next light, he decides to punch my car repeatedly and tried to rip my sideview mirror off, calling me a piece of **** because I "endangered" him.

Apparently, that guy's expectations are that cars swerve out of the way for him when he recklessly throws himself into traffic, violating a law in the process.

I would certainly hope that he wouldn't drive his car like that...why did he think it was ok for him for him to ride his bike like that?

I don't have a problem with cyclists running red lights, breaking benign traffic laws IF it is COMPLETELY safe to do so. This was clearly not the case, however. It irks me because this sort of entitlement among cyclists in Boston is no longer an anomaly and is quickly becoming the norm. This guy was so pugnacious that a person less than me would have grabbed that shiny new sand wedge in my backseat that I just bought and really made him feel endangered.
BikeImpotence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 10:05 AM   #2
Tappets
almost kosher
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i cant say i'm a total angel when it comes to lights and stop signs, to tell you otherwise would make me a liar, but i'm not reckless like that and i do a pretty good job of keeping my cool around cars and such, as i expect them to do the same. doesn't always work. maybe he'll figure it out when someone does connect a sandwedge with his head. he should win a class 5 jackass prize.
Tappets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 10:32 AM   #3
pityr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: PDX
Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stuff like that happens a lot in Portland. Too bad there isn't much you can do about it...
pityr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:01 PM   #4
CoffeeEater
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Stoopid cager! Stop harassing the cyclist!
CoffeeEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:23 PM   #5
jimmuter
Urban Biker
 
jimmuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durham, NC
Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp
Posts: 731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Steroids.
jimmuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:25 PM   #6
caloso
Packfodding 3
 
caloso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sacramento, California, USA
Bikes: Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
Posts: 33,867
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
OP, did you sign up just to tell us that you saw a cyclist riding dangerously?
caloso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:26 PM   #7
seeker333
__________
 
seeker333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Bikes: yes!
Posts: 3,168
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I'm sorry for your experience, but I don't think you're going to get much sympathy in this forum.

For every one of these "nuisances" you've dealt with, most of of us bicyclists have had them ten-fold (or more) from motorists. And when we're getting it from motorists, its not an unpleasant annoyance, but more like a terrifying, life-threatening situation.

For cyclists who ride on public roads with any traffic at all, its a daily ordeal. I consider it a major victory if I can make it though my ride and keep grinning at the onslaught of pointless, inane motorist shenanigans I'm forced to deal with.

Your comment about the sand wedge is typical of many motorists too - threats of physical violence to bicyclists are common, and usually acted out with a 5000 lb chevy or buick - so I'll take your sand wedge please - I might survive that.

Really, go get on a bike and pedal down the road aways, basically follow the rules and mind your own business - see how many people in cars %$ck with you just because they can - then come back here and share your opinions with us.
seeker333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:27 PM   #8
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caloso
OP, did you sign up just to tell us that you saw a cyclist riding dangerously?
..and find the A&S forum...it sure looks like a sockpuppet troll to me. But if it isn't, the cyclist was wrong. Cyclists are people too...you got good folks and you got jerks.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:30 PM   #9
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker333
I'm sorry for your experience, but I don't think you're going to get much sympathy in this forum.

For every one of these "nuisances" you've dealt with, most of of us bicyclists have had them ten-fold (or more) from motorists. And when we're getting it from motorists, its not an unpleasant annoyance, but more like a terrifying, life-threatening situation.

For cyclists who ride on public roads with any traffic at all, its a daily ordeal. I consider it a major victory if I can make it though my ride and keep grinning at the onslaught of pointless, inane motorist shenanigans I'm forced to deal with.

Your comment about the sand wedge is typical of many motorists too - threats of physical violence to bicyclists are common, and usually acted out with a 5000 lb chevy or buick - so I'll take your sand wedge please - I might survive that.

Really, go get on a bike and pedal down the road aways, basically follow the rules and mind your own business - see how many people in cars %$ck with you just because they can - then come back here and share your opinions with us.

I'm a cyclist, but if I am riding or driving and you blow a stop, making me come close to hitting you - you're gonna get my boot up your butt. Aint no excuse for bad manners or unsafe operation, no matter how picked on you feel.
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:31 PM   #10
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker333
I'm sorry for your experience, but I don't think you're going to get much sympathy in this forum.
Ha!

I'm totally in sympathy with him, and if it had been my car, the JAB would be cooling his precious little temper in jail right now. Possibly with a sand wedge jammed up his...
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:35 PM   #11
kjmillig
Senior Member
 
kjmillig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NE Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 1,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cyclists get an unfair amount of harassment on the road, but this sounds like it might be more like, "Stoopid cyclist, stop harassing the cager." Most of us have seen very similar behavior among cyclists, motorists, and pedestrians alike. One does something stupidly dangerous and illegal, then instantly externalizes the fault.
However if the cyclist was wrong and attacked my car, I'd assume he's trying to inflict bodily harm on me and would probably have shown him the business end of my Taurus personal protection tool.
kjmillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:36 PM   #12
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So when someone does something this hazardous in a car, which is pretty much daily, should I sign onto carforums.net and tell them to reign in their goons?

Just asking.

I mean, I could.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:51 PM   #13
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
So when someone does something this hazardous in a car, which is pretty much daily, should I sign onto carforums.net and tell them to reign in their goons?

Just asking.

I mean, I could.
I think he's raising an important issue in the right forum. What's the problem?
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 02:53 PM   #14
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
So when someone does something this hazardous in a car, which is pretty much daily, should I sign onto carforums.net and tell them to reign in their goons?

Just asking.

I mean, I could.
Lets!
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 03:12 PM   #15
BikeImpotence
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
So when someone does something this hazardous in a car, which is pretty much daily, should I sign onto carforums.net and tell them to reign in their goons?

Just asking.

I mean, I could.
I guess this is what I mean. I didn't post on this site to be a troll, or to incite a flame war. My point is, this guy ignored the fact that it was HIS fault and then tried to start a fight with me despite the fact that he put his own safety in jeopardy.

Stuff like this can be perpetrated by cyclists, motorists, pedestrians, etc. alike. I understand that. My observation, however, is that these days, it seems to be getting worse. A few of you said it yourselves - motorists are crazy these days. Well, if that is the caution, why does it seem that cyclists, who are physically very vulnerable, seem to be acting MORE recklessly?

Like I said before, I am an avid runner. Living in a city, interacting with traffic is unavoidable during my runs. However, I never cross the street when there is a "dont walk" sign, unless it is completely safe to do so. Even good motorists will have their attention wander from time to time. I simply won't take that risk.
BikeImpotence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 03:38 PM   #16
Carusoswi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I detest statements like, "if you want motorists respect, you have to ride like motorists" usually coming from cyclists who advocate that I stop for and observe every red light (even if my vision is clear and there isn't a car to be seen for miles), make a complete stop at stop signs, again, whether or not there is other traffic present, never ride the sidewalk, always ride with traffic, no exceptions ever, not even for a fraction of a mile even if doing so enhances my safety.

That said, I still feel it important that we, as cyclists, remain objective enough to admit that it is entirely possible that the OP is not a "troll" but is relating an incident exactly as it occurred - that is possible for a cyclist to be at fault - that we are all people, no better or worse than the next.

To attack the OP's credibility ignores the fact that such riders as he describes do, in fact, exists amongst those of us who ride bikes.

I disagree that one incident is evidence that "it is getting worse." I would inquire of the OP how many similar incidents has he observed. Probably not enough to make that sort of generalization. Of course, I also don't believe that road rage is getting worse or that there should be a special law against aggressive driving (another media-invented phenomenon, IMO).

All these issues simply get more coverage (often hysterical in nature) than they did in the days before 24-hr news, the internet, video surveillance everywhere, etc.

All of that notwithstanding, we still need to be objective and certainly more tolerant of posters who relate stories that don't support the advocacy that favors us.

Caruso
Carusoswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 04:28 PM   #17
AGGRO
Mistadobalina
 
AGGRO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Clairemont
Bikes: Trek Hilo
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 posts? oooooooooooooooo K
AGGRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 04:40 PM   #18
Az B
Fattest Thin Man
 
Az B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Directly above the center of the earth
Bikes: Miyata 610, Vinco V, Rocky Mountain Element
Posts: 2,649
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Only one side of the story...

Things that make you go hmm.

Az
Az B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 05:00 PM   #19
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was walking in a crosswalk, when a cyclist ran a red light and buzzed me. I pointed to the light and said "the light," and the cyclist's response was "F-off." It happens far more often than some of you are acknowledging. I don't think cycling advocacy is advanced by that behavior, and I don't think cycling advocacy is advanced by pretending that type of behavior simply doesn't happen, or is rare. It's not rare, it's becoming ever more common, and it's harming cycling.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 05:18 PM   #20
pityr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: PDX
Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order
I was walking in a crosswalk, when a cyclist ran a red light and buzzed me. I pointed to the light and said "the light," and the cyclist's response was "F-off." It happens far more often than some of you are acknowledging. I don't think cycling advocacy is advanced by that behavior, and I don't think cycling advocacy is advanced by pretending that type of behavior simply doesn't happen, or is rare. It's not rare, it's becoming ever more common, and it's harming cycling.
I see it happen quite a bit around here. More so since it got warmer and more people are taking to the streets.

The warm weather brings out all the bozos, cyclist or motorist or...

OTOH I have seen more people signaling turns lately as well. Makes me smile
pityr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 05:28 PM   #21
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Ha!

I'm totally in sympathy with him, and if it had been my car, the JAB would be cooling his precious little temper in jail right now. Possibly with a sand wedge jammed up his...
Just stick with the taser, officer
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 05:35 PM   #22
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order
I was walking in a crosswalk, when a cyclist ran a red light and buzzed me. I pointed to the light and said "the light," and the cyclist's response was "F-off." It happens far more often than some of you are acknowledging. I don't think cycling advocacy is advanced by that behavior, and I don't think cycling advocacy is advanced by pretending that type of behavior simply doesn't happen, or is rare. It's not rare, it's becoming ever more common, and it's harming cycling.
From my observations, the proportion of cyclists that really know what they're doing in traffic is pretty low. At the bottom of the scale are riders that are outright menaces, no doubt.

One of my greatest fears is that cycling becomes hugely popular, but the proportion of skilled to clueless riders stays the same.
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 06:27 PM   #23
BikeImpotence
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carusoswi
I detest statements like, "if you want motorists respect, you have to ride like motorists" usually coming from cyclists who advocate that I stop for and observe every red light (even if my vision is clear and there isn't a car to be seen for miles), make a complete stop at stop signs, again, whether or not there is other traffic present, never ride the sidewalk, always ride with traffic, no exceptions ever, not even for a fraction of a mile even if doing so enhances my safety.

That said, I still feel it important that we, as cyclists, remain objective enough to admit that it is entirely possible that the OP is not a "troll" but is relating an incident exactly as it occurred - that is possible for a cyclist to be at fault - that we are all people, no better or worse than the next.

To attack the OP's credibility ignores the fact that such riders as he describes do, in fact, exists amongst those of us who ride bikes.

I disagree that one incident is evidence that "it is getting worse." I would inquire of the OP how many similar incidents has he observed. Probably not enough to make that sort of generalization. Of course, I also don't believe that road rage is getting worse or that there should be a special law against aggressive driving (another media-invented phenomenon, IMO).

All these issues simply get more coverage (often hysterical in nature) than they did in the days before 24-hr news, the internet, video surveillance everywhere, etc.

All of that notwithstanding, we still need to be objective and certainly more tolerant of posters who relate stories that don't support the advocacy that favors us.

Caruso
Of course, I don't have any objective data to justify my observation of a trend. It's just that - my observation. Like anything else, it could be different from someone else's. The other incident that stands out in my mind was when a cyclist blew a red light (this was in NYC) and actually hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk. She was an older lady (early 60s). Fortunately, she didn't get hurt, but the cyclist's initial reaction was that it was the pedestrian's fault...until he saw the red light. Clearly, this guy didn't even pay attention.

I do find it interesting that there are people on this thread that seem to hold the view that anyone on a bicycle can do no wrong (of course not the majority - just a few).
BikeImpotence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 07:01 PM   #24
cknott
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BikeI,

You are in a forum that is very biased in favor of bicyclist.

Go to a running forum and post the same story, you'll get a lot more stories like yours.

Bicyclists don't get respect because they act like they only have to obey the law when they feel like it.
cknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-07, 07:02 PM   #25
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeImpotence
I do find it interesting that there are people on this thread that seem to hold the view that anyone on a bicycle can do no wrong (of course not the majority - just a few).
Would you quote any of the replies that states that anyone on a bicycle can do no wrong? Because I read through the responses and I didn't see anyone state anything like that.
Sprocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:10 PM.