Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 130
  1. #1
    Senior Member Apnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    2006 Dahon Jack
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Has a helmet but won't wear it?

    On my commute (and sometimes when riding for fun) I see a lot of people with out helmets on. OK, I can kind of understand that (but don't agree with it), but what always shocks me are the people who have helmets but don't wear them.

    What's the point of that?

    I've seen riders with helmets clutched, buy the straps in hands, hung on handle bars, hung off backpacks and strapped down on racks. I don't get it, do they think they can toss the helmet on during the free fall of a crash? OK, that's a silly question, I don't believe anybody thinks they can put a helmet on during a crash. Maybe they were nagged by a parent/spouse/loved one/friend into taking the helmet but when out of site they took the thing off. I dunno.

    Has anybody else seen this? If so what are your thoughts on the subject of helmet 'carrying' riders?
    2006 Dahon Jack (commuter)
    2007 KHS Flite 300 (road)

  2. #2
    Packfodding 3 caloso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    My Bikes
    Ridley Excalibur, Gazelle Champion Mondial, On-One Pompino, Specialized Rock Hopper
    Posts
    30,276
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apnu View Post
    On my commute (and sometimes when riding for fun) I see a lot of people with out helmets on. OK, I can kind of understand that (but don't agree with it), but what always shocks me are the people who have helmets but don't wear them.

    What's the point of that?

    I've seen riders with helmets clutched, buy the straps in hands, hung on handle bars, hung off backpacks and strapped down on racks. I don't get it, do they think they can toss the helmet on during the free fall of a crash? OK, that's a silly question, I don't believe anybody thinks they can put a helmet on during a crash.
    Maybe they were nagged by a parent/spouse/loved one/friend into taking the helmet but when out of site they took the thing off. I dunno.

    Has anybody else seen this? If so what are your thoughts on the subject of helmet 'carrying' riders?
    99% of the riders I see doing this are kids under the age of 18. I imagine that you've hit it on the head: they put it on to ride out of the driveway and out of Dad's sight, and once around the corner off it comes because Oh My God only dorks wear helmets and I'd never get a date to the Prom.

    If I'm in a joking mood, I'll usually say something like "Nice helmet! Uh, you do know that it only works if you put it on your head, right?"

    If I'm in a non-joking mood, I might say "Put on your helmet, dumbass!"
    Cyclists of the world, unite! You have nothing to lube but your chains!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caloso View Post
    99% of the riders I see doing this are kids under the age of 18. I imagine that you've hit it on the head: they put it on to ride out of the driveway and out of Dad's sight, and once around the corner off it comes because Oh My God only dorks wear helmets and I'd never get a date to the Prom.

    If I'm in a joking mood, I'll usually say something like "Nice helmet! Uh, you do know that it only works if you put it on your head, right?"

    If I'm in a non-joking mood, I might say "Put on your helmet, dumbass!"
    You can't get a date to the prom when you're dead.

  4. #4
    pointless & uncalled for
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    TOONCA
    Posts
    378
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WesMorrison View Post
    You can't get a date to the prom when you're dead.
    I beg to differ. Such were the levels of my teenage angst and compulsion to conform to society that no small amount of consideration was given to the dearly departed as date material.

    In retrospect a corpse would have been far less humiliating than the date I ended up with.

  5. #5
    Senior Member rando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    2,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sometimes strap the helmet to the rack on the way home if it is too hot instead of wearing it.
    "Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

    Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me

  6. #6
    Senior Member Apnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    2006 Dahon Jack
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    I sometimes strap the helmet to the rack on the way home if it is too hot instead of wearing it.
    I can understand the heat issue. I have a helmet that looks like a cross between a BMX helmet and a MTN helmet. The thing is damn hot on summer days. I picked up a Headsweats skull cap to wear under it to keep the gallons of sweat I generated out of my eyes. Now I have a proper ventulated road helmet that I wear in the spring/summer/early fall months and wear the big nasty one when its cold (cuz with a wool skullcap, I'm very toasty in that thing, in Feburary, along the lake even!)

    My new helmet (Giro Transfer) has been great in 80 degree weather.

    If its too hot, I'd suggest (to the helmet carriers) that they get something else for the summer months.
    2006 Dahon Jack (commuter)
    2007 KHS Flite 300 (road)

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,851
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apnu
    My new helmet (Giro Transfer) has been great in 80 degree weather.

    If its too hot, I'd suggest (to the helmet carriers) that they get something else for the summer months.
    Wait, are you saying that 80 degrees is hot? You do realize where Rando lives, right? Even Delaware sees temps way over 80 (we usually get at least a few days of 110 degree heat indexes).

  8. #8
    Senior Member Apnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    2006 Dahon Jack
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do, and I don't mean any disrespect to rando. Chicago in July/August has days in high 90s with brutal (and smelly) humidity thanks to the river and lake we live with.

    Since I got the new helmet (about a week ago) it has been fairly cool. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't worn it in real heat yet.

    Having said that, I did wear the other, hotter helmet in 95+ degree, high humidity days and it wasn't comfortable. Which is why I bought the Headsweats skull cap. I was still hot with it, but not as bad as I was with out.

    However, I saw people on Monday, along the lake in 75-80 degree weather with out helmets. Go figure.
    2006 Dahon Jack (commuter)
    2007 KHS Flite 300 (road)

  9. #9
    Telemark! TeleJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    726
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apnu View Post
    ...
    What's the point of that?
    ....
    The point is that it is not your business.

  10. #10
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,576
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleJohn View Post
    The point is that it is not your business.
    Unless the OP's business is professional Safety Nanny, or a wannbe.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Apnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    2006 Dahon Jack
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It never ceases to amaze me the number of people around here who just show up to crap on threads.

    If you don't like the thread, ignore it and move on.
    2006 Dahon Jack (commuter)
    2007 KHS Flite 300 (road)

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    263
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was in school there was no way in hell that I would wear a helmet. I'd do a lot of other things that didn't make sense to fit in also. *****, look at all the smokers, something like 90% start before 18. I've thought about not wearing my helmet, and even rode around my neighborhood without it once, but when I hit 40 going downhill I'm glad I have that helmet on.

  13. #13
    I drink your MILKSHAKE Raiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    15,071
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apnu View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me the number of people around here who just show up to crap on threads.
    That would be I-Like-To-Bike's claim to fame.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Apnu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    My Bikes
    2006 Dahon Jack
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AStomper View Post
    When I was in school there was no way in hell that I would wear a helmet. I'd do a lot of other things that didn't make sense to fit in also. *****, look at all the smokers, something like 90% start before 18. I've thought about not wearing my helmet, and even rode around my neighborhood without it once, but when I hit 40 going downhill I'm glad I have that helmet on.
    Harrowing story. I get your drift. When I was in school my mother made me wear a safety vest when riding at dusk/night. (no helmet tho) I hated it and took it off once I was a block away from my house. and put it back on when I was a block away on my return trip.

    Oddly enough, now a days, I see the value of the vest. But I'm not old enough to have forgotten what it was like to be a teenager and have teenager concerns.
    2006 Dahon Jack (commuter)
    2007 KHS Flite 300 (road)

  15. #15
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Apnu View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me the number of people around here who just show up to crap on threads.

    If you don't like the thread, ignore it and move on.
    I don't know if anyone's, "crapping' on the thread. It's just that maybe if you ask an opinion, someone's might be that an individual might have a reason that couldn't possibly be explained or understood on a thread like this and maybe one should show a little respect that their choice is good enough for them, if not for others.

    If it's kids doing it, find me an adult who can understand their minds. If it's an adult, he has a right to make his own choice. If it's not an adults choice (by way of law) maybe it's a way to get out of police persecusion. I understand this is common in Australia.
    Last edited by closetbiker; 07-25-07 at 07:35 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member rando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    2,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't wear a helmet today! man I suck!
    "Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

    Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me

  17. #17
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    I didn't wear a helmet today! man I suck!
    the majority don't, but that's not the point. Why do people carry them on the bike, but not on their head? Who knows? maybe they have a clasp or strap problem, maybe it's too hot, maybe someone wants them to wear it, but they don't. is it such a large problem that it's anything but a curiousity?

  18. #18
    Senior Member rando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tempe, AZ
    Posts
    2,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
    the majority don't, but that's not the point. Why do people carry them on the bike, but not on their head? Who knows? maybe they have a clasp or strap problem, maybe it's too hot, maybe someone wants them to wear it, but they don't. is it such a large problem that it's anything but a curiousity?
    I don't think so.
    "Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world". ~Grant Petersen

    Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me

  19. #19
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,576
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn View Post
    That would be I-Like-To-Bike's claim to fame.
    Yep, dat's me. Crapping on threads of jokers who are full of crap, as well as theirselves. What's your problem with how other people choose to ride their bicycle, Jack? My problem is with self described experts whose idea of advocacy is to look down on other cyclists who don't meet the nanny boys' lofty standards.

  20. #20
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiyn View Post
    That would be I-Like-To-Bike's claim to fame.
    Yeah, but even that is better than people that come on BF just to crap on other cyclist.

    If it does not affect your safety, then stop worrying about them.

  21. #21
    brooklyn bike rider
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    brooklyn
    My Bikes
    bmw park bike, tonic fab supernaut, chromag stylus, traitor ruben
    Posts
    140
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Yeah, but even that is better than people that come on BF just to crap on other cyclist.

    If it does not affect your safety, then stop worrying about them.
    what about your friends or family who don't wear helmets while cycling?
    and even if i don't know them, i'd hate to see another cyclist done in
    by an injury that could have been prevented.
    it's all moot though, because no matter who says what,
    whether it's friendly, sincere advice, or condescending scolding,
    in the end it's their choice.

  22. #22
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosplat View Post
    what about your friends or family who don't wear helmets while cycling?
    and even if i don't know them, i'd hate to see another cyclist done in
    by an injury that could have been prevented.
    it's all moot though, because no matter who says what,
    whether it's friendly, sincere advice, or condescending scolding,
    in the end it's their choice.
    Oh, I am sorry, I did not realize Apnu was talking about his friends and family. He should definetly lock them in the house until they learn their lesson.

    Be sure and inspect their frig - make sure they are not eating any meat as well.
    Last edited by CB HI; 07-26-07 at 03:00 AM.

  23. #23
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And why are his friends and family riding bicycles in the first place, that is dangerous?

  24. #24
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    20,576
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    And why are his friends and family riding bicycles in the first place, that is dangerous?
    That's right, they might fall down; presumably he is shocked, shocked that they are so foolish as to ride without training wheels. Just to be safe, eh?

  25. #25
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosplat View Post
    what about your friends or family who don't wear helmets while cycling?
    ...in the end it's their choice.
    this is one of the problems of helmet promotion, the presentation of the risks of cycling without putting it in proper context or considering the benefits in balance with the risk.

    riding a bike is about as dangerous as taking a walk and I'd like to know how, when people who ride bikes their whole lives live longer than people who don't, that people think otherwise. Maybe the benefits that are there are ignored to place some fear into potential consumers of products who might not know of those benfits or the proper context of the risks.

    You're right, in the end it is their choice and you better respect it because if you don't someone is going to start questioning your choices and someone might tell you not to do something because they think it's not a good thing to do, whether it is or isn't.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •