Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    59'er Mariner Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Alexandria, IN
    My Bikes
    LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
    Posts
    3,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Hostile Comments about two bicyclists hit by car

    People bragging about teaching bicyclists a lesson. I guess they feel justified since a women ran down two guys minding their own business on a straight road in broad daylight.

    http://www.topix.net/forum/source/in...LIDI17DUCRPBS8

  2. #2
    Senior Member maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ky. and FL.
    My Bikes
    KHS steel SS
    Posts
    3,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of people have that attitude. That is why you have to TAKE your rights and use them to the fullest extent. In the wild kingdom most of the little animals have spines,bad tastes, or poisons, that's what we have to be: the nasty, aggressive little animals of the road that nobody wants to fool with.
    Not too much to say here

  3. #3
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seemed to me that the majority of the posters were advocating the rights of bicyclists, not attacking them. Yes there were a few bike-hating idiots, but not nearly as many as we've all seen elsewhere. I got the impression that most (though not all) people in that area are actually thoughtful, reasonable and decent. (Compare those posts with those of that radio station in Portland last year where the announcers were encouraging listeners to run cyclists down...)
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  4. #4
    Fat Guy in Bike Shorts! manual_overide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez
    Posts
    630
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what the heck? read the last 5 or so comments. they posted disparaging comments about cyclists the whole time, then at the end quote and take potshots at themselves. I think their server was hacked.
    http://beingfatsucks.duder.net
    Personal story of a man trying to lose his inner 4th grader... well trying to lose 80 lbs at least..


    http://stephenwuebker.traineo.com/ba...henwuebker.png

  5. #5
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Alot of people have that attitude. That is why you have to TAKE your rights and use them to the fullest extent. In the wild kingdom most of the little animals have spines,bad tastes, or poisons, that's what we have to be: the nasty, aggressive little animals of the road that nobody wants to fool with.
    Yeah, fight fire with fire. Escalation. Battle!

    You're gonna find ****** in every group, cyclists included.
    This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Reston, VA
    My Bikes
    2003 Giant OCR2
    Posts
    2,369
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Alot of people have that attitude. That is why you have to TAKE your rights and use them to the fullest extent. In the wild kingdom most of the little animals have spines,bad tastes, or poisons, that's what we have to be: the nasty, aggressive little animals of the road that nobody wants to fool with.
    Yeah, I'm sure that will deter all the people in 3000 lb vehicles. Somehow I don't think they'll be impressed. *rolls eyes.*

  7. #7
    bac
    bac is offline
    Senior Member bac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    My Bikes
    Too many to list!
    Posts
    7,487
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber View Post
    You're gonna find ****** in every group, cyclists included.
    That's really the bottom line. Ride, and have fun riding. If you can at all help it, don't let the jag-offs ruin your day.

    ... Brad

  8. #8
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why, but it seems to me newspaper website forums are always loaded with trolls. Doesn't seem to matter what paper it is, or where it covers.

  9. #9
    Hoz
    Hoz is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
    I don't know why, but it seems to me newspaper website forums are always loaded with trolls. Doesn't seem to matter what paper it is, or where it covers.
    Agreed. I saw the same thing with the "Dog da bounty hunter " arrest. As the threads got longer the BS got deeper. Intelligent conversation goes out the door around page 3.

  10. #10
    Banned. Jeronimo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Behind The Orange Curtain
    My Bikes
    A bunch of 'em
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My IQ dropped 20 points after reading that midwestern idiot-fest.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,283
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeronimo_ View Post
    My IQ dropped 20 points after reading that midwestern idiot-fest.

  12. #12
    ROM 6:23 flipped4bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Coastal Maine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, it's typical. Didn't stop me from posting the following:

    We're here. We wear lycra, sometimes, not spandex! We pay taxes like you. Share the road. Get used to it!
    Every time we let a vehicle pass there is a little bit of compromise. But compromise allows the city to function and allows cyclists to function in the city. The trick is not to eliminate compromise but to learn how to work safely within it.

    --Robert Hurst

  13. #13
    Hoz
    Hoz is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cyclists post, create critical mass.


    http://www.topix.net/forum/source/in...LIDI17DUCRPBS8
    Last edited by Hoz; 07-27-07 at 08:58 PM.

  14. #14
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by manual_overide View Post
    what the heck? read the last 5 or so comments. they posted disparaging comments about cyclists the whole time, then at the end quote and take potshots at themselves. I think their server was hacked.
    sorry, I didn't read to the end. The first page or so seemed like reasonable people, so I stopped, because, as been mentioned here already, newspaper message boards can get idiotic in a hurry; it makes BF look like a Mensa rally.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  15. #15
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dropmachine.com
    Posts
    4,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    239 posts. Good lord.

    When I got to the post about how motorcycles always obey the speed limit and bicycles break it, I stopped skimming.

  16. #16
    Geosynchronous Falconeer recursive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    My Bikes
    2006 Raleigh Rush Hour, Campy Habanero Team Ti, Soma Double Cross
    Posts
    6,312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Underbridge View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure that will deter all the people in 3000 lb vehicles. Somehow I don't think they'll be impressed. *rolls eyes.*
    The idea is not to impress people. Most drivers, even the ones who are doing the "lesson teaching" do not want to be involved in a collision. If you are position yourself visibly and assertively, it will be tougher for any driver to misjudge the situation.
    Bring the pain.

  17. #17
    Thread Killer evblazer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Marfan Syndrome-Clyde-DFW, TX
    My Bikes
    Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider
    Posts
    1,844
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by recursive View Post
    The idea is not to impress people. Most drivers, even the ones who are doing the "lesson teaching" do not want to be involved in a collision. If you are position yourself visibly and assertively, it will be tougher for any driver to misjudge the situation.
    I agree with this but I also see a problem with it. Yes I a auto wants to avoid a collision but even more then that so do I. If they play chicken with squeezing me off or cutting me off and slowing they may see me but what is to stop them from saying then didn't? Add to that most every story I've read, and I'd assume drivers have seen, seem to say that unless it was a drunken driver even if the cyclist dies they don't get charged.
    Being visible and assertive will make it harder for a driver to misjudge the situation but sometimes when I have asserted myself it made it easier for the driver to assert his 3000lb or 6000lb butt in my path after they skim past my handlebars to make a pass. A hostile driver may be in only one of 1000 cars or maybe rarer unfortunately on a bicycle you get passed alot more often then a car would that can keep up with traffic.
    When traffic is high and cars have to pay too much attention to merge into lanes and avoid me and the cars they are merging with I have at times pulled off. Sure I could take the lane and force them to slow down traffic and merge, if they see me, but I have been cut off and sqeezed enough that I'd really rather avoid altercations. If the car behind me merged left at 45mph the car riding his bumper steps on the gas to pass him only to find me in their path? If they are swearing at the other driver and giving them the number one they may not find me until i'm under their front bumper.

  18. #18
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,914
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evblazer View Post
    I agree with this but I also see a problem with it. Yes I a auto wants to avoid a collision but even more then that so do I. If they play chicken with squeezing me off or cutting me off and slowing they may see me but what is to stop them from saying then didn't? Add to that most every story I've read, and I'd assume drivers have seen, seem to say that unless it was a drunken driver even if the cyclist dies they don't get charged.
    Being visible and assertive will make it harder for a driver to misjudge the situation but sometimes when I have asserted myself it made it easier for the driver to assert his 3000lb or 6000lb butt in my path after they skim past my handlebars to make a pass. A hostile driver may be in only one of 1000 cars or maybe rarer unfortunately on a bicycle you get passed alot more often then a car would that can keep up with traffic.
    When traffic is high and cars have to pay too much attention to merge into lanes and avoid me and the cars they are merging with I have at times pulled off. Sure I could take the lane and force them to slow down traffic and merge, if they see me, but I have been cut off and sqeezed enough that I'd really rather avoid altercations. If the car behind me merged left at 45mph the car riding his bumper steps on the gas to pass him only to find me in their path? If they are swearing at the other driver and giving them the number one they may not find me until i'm under their front bumper.
    Tend to agree... I had a incident the other day where I was driving and slowed down for a cyclist moving left in front of me... the reaction of the motorist behind me was to give a long honk, move left suddenly and then move in front of me... he obviously did not see nor apparently cared about the cyclist... the latter who upon hearing the long horn honk, scurried back to the curb and quit. So the aggressive motorist essentially "won" by their arrogant attitude. I had words with the motorist, but the cyclist was no doubt very spooked by the idiot motorist. And yes they were driving a huge black SUV... no doubt for intimidation factor...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •