Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    jim anchower jamesdenver's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    cyclist death - ignorant comments

    From this story

    and the comments of cyclists, shoulders, taxes, poor behavior all rolled into a few posts.. How embarrassing. Denver is supposed to be know as a cyclist friendly town overall.

  2. #2
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdenver View Post
    From this story

    and the comments of cyclists, shoulders, taxes, poor behavior all rolled into a few posts.. How embarrassing. Denver is supposed to be know as a cyclist friendly town overall.
    I lived in Denver for most of my life, and Denver is a bike-friendly town, much more bike friendly than almost any other big city in the US that I've been to. But in every city, even Portland, or Boulder, for that matter, you're going to find that a certain percentage of the car-driving population is going to be stupid, ignorant and/or hostile towards bicyclists. Most people, once they're made aware of tax structures, traffic laws, and the benefits that bicycling can confer on the community at large, tend to become more supportive of cyclists even if they don't ride themselves. In Seattle, I've noticed that as the number of bicycles increases, some motorists get more hostile, but the vast majority of people become more used to seeing them, and start treating them as a normal part of their driving routine. Maybe the same process is takiing place in Denver.

    Some of the posted comments were petty idiotic; I'm pretty sure that these comments do not represent the opinions or the intelligence of the majority of people in Denver. (I Did notice that some of the dumber comments came from Greeley; go figure.)
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Denny Koll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enraged fatsos driving cars while munching on chicken legs!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James, I thought your responses to that discussion were very well written and made important points. Good job!

    It's sad/funny how it seems like the same group of internet trolls winds up posting in the discussion after ever cyclist death that makes the paper. The discussion is eerily similar every time.

  5. #5
    Bent Ryder Sandwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My condolences to both families. There is not much in the article about the cyclist. Did he have lights, reflective gear, blinkies, etc....What kind of clothing was he wearing. I also read the commments! There were some pretty ignorant ones.
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

  6. #6
    Bent Ryder Sandwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Aurora Colorado
    My Bikes
    Bachetta Agio
    Posts
    546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bragi View Post
    Some of the posted comments were petty idiotic; I'm pretty sure that these comments do not represent the opinions or the intelligence of the majority of people in Denver. (I Did notice that some of the dumber comments came from Greeley; go figure.)
    I used to live near Greenlake, and now I am in Denver.

    As for Greely...I think its all that methane they breath
    As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
    Joshua 24:15

  7. #7
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,913
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bragi View Post
    But in every city, even Portland, or Boulder, for that matter, you're going to find that a certain percentage of the car-driving population is going to be stupid, ignorant and/or hostile towards bicyclists. Most people, once they're made aware of tax structures, traffic laws, and the benefits that bicycling can confer on the community at large, tend to become more supportive of cyclists even if they don't ride themselves. In Seattle, I've noticed that as the number of bicycles increases, some motorists get more hostile, but the vast majority of people become more used to seeing them, and start treating them as a normal part of their driving routine. Maybe the same process is takiing place in Denver.
    So an underlying issue is how do we make more people aware of the "tax structures, traffic laws, and the benefits that bicycling can confer on the community at large... " along with the legal aspects of cyclists' rights?

  8. #8
    Senior Member maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ky. and FL.
    My Bikes
    KHS steel SS
    Posts
    3,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll never make people aware of the law. They will never like having bikes on the road. The way cycling will be accepted is by ramming it down their throats. Ride your bike, on the road, follow the law, stop at lights and signs, be courteous, but take your rights and use them.
    Not too much to say here

  9. #9
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,155
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandwarrior View Post
    I used to live near Greenlake, and now I am in Denver.

    As for Greely...I think its all that methane they breath
    referencing all the Pinto Beans grown there?
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  10. #10
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    So an underlying issue is how do we make more people aware of the "tax structures, traffic laws, and the benefits that bicycling can confer on the community at large... " along with the legal aspects of cyclists' rights?
    Many local govt. agencies in the Puget Sound region are pretty pro-bicycling right now, so it's not too hard to get support there, but I do have a few quick suggestions (that I imagine have been mentioned before):

    1. Put some bicycling-related questions on the drivers' license test (Bicyclists' status as rightful road users, how to navigate when bikes are around);
    2. More signage that reminds drivers that bicycles will be sharing the road on some routes, maybe even on billboards;
    3. Public-service announcements on talk radio programs (although this might trigger an ugly backlash if the radio station or many of its listeners are rabid "get-out-of-my-way" f*ckwads...)
    4. Using civil suits to go after drivers who've injured bicyclists, if normal law-enforcement agengies won't do their job; make these legal actions as public as possible.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

  11. #11
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    15,173
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    We'll never make people aware of the law. They will never like having bikes on the road. The way cycling will be accepted is by ramming it down their throats. Ride your bike, on the road, follow the law, stop at lights and signs, be courteous, but take your rights and use them.
    I concur, although I think there is room for motorist education, as well.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  12. #12
    Senior Member littlewaywelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bragi View Post
    4. Using civil suits to go after drivers who've injured bicyclists, if normal law-enforcement agengies won't do their job; make these legal actions as public as possible.
    This isn't an "if" situation or an either or situation. Pursue both avenues independantly.
    The goals of the criminal system are retribution, punnishment, rehabilitation, and to protect society. The goal of the civil system is restoration.
    If someone gets hurt the civil system should definitely be engaged. If the action that caused injury was criminal, then the criminal system should be engaged.
    One Less Car
    Conservation begins with you.

  13. #13
    Junior Member Cool User Name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Erie, CO
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As both a bike rider and car driver in the Denver area, I can say bike riders do a lot to cause this sort of reaction, riding two or more abreast on highways without bike lanes for instance, and breaking every traffic law, especially at intersections.

    Cars are the norm, and Bikes are a hindrance to the orderly flow of traffic.

  14. #14
    Banned. Jeronimo_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Behind The Orange Curtain
    My Bikes
    A bunch of 'em
    Posts
    267
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Front Range is way too Californicated.

  15. #15
    Hoz
    Hoz is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeronimo_ View Post
    The Front Range is way too Californicated.
    +1 This rings a bell. In the early 70's we used to say Denver is the new LA (only with mountains).

  16. #16
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool User Name View Post
    As both a bike rider and car driver in the Denver area, I can say bike riders do a lot to cause this sort of reaction, riding two or more abreast on highways without bike lanes for instance, and breaking every traffic law, especially at intersections.

    Cars are the norm, and Bikes are a hindrance to the orderly flow of traffic.
    During my daily commute I see FAR more motorists breaking laws than cyclists. I cant tell you how many times I've had to hit my brakes HARD to avoid some idiot motorist that didn't bother to stop at a light or stop sign. Of course, the difference in numbers is probably to be expected, considering the number of drivers out there compared to cyclists. When you get a big enough group of people together, of course there are going to be some number of people who are ignorant or just plain jerks.

    Yes, sometimes I ride two abreast on a highway that doesn't have a bike lane.. makes it much easier to talk to the person I'm riding with. If I hear a car coming up behind me, I pull forward or fall back, and allow the passing car as much room as possible. I'd say 95% of the time I hear the car coming far enough away that I don't slow them down any more than usual. In this I'm not breaking the law.. it states single file 'when other vehicles are present'

    As far as downtown... I use a lane. I can easily keep up with the traffic, and I don't filter past cars at lights. I don't see the point. I won't save more than a few seconds, anyway.
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  17. #17
    bragi bragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    seattle, WA
    My Bikes
    LHT
    Posts
    2,837
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool User Name View Post
    As both a bike rider and car driver in the Denver area, I can say bike riders do a lot to cause this sort of reaction, riding two or more abreast on highways without bike lanes for instance, and breaking every traffic law, especially at intersections.

    Cars are the norm, and Bikes are a hindrance to the orderly flow of traffic.
    I agree with your first point, that sometimes idiot bike riders ruin it for the rest of us, especially the ones who run red lights, who ride on the sidewalk, or who generally can't seem to remember that traffic laws apply to them. As for your second point, you're way off base. Streets are public spaces. One's ability and/or willingness to procure and operate a large machine does not confer a greater right to the public space than other users. People are the norm, not cars. Driving a car on a public road is actually a privilege, not a right. It's time people were reminded of that fact. As for bikes being a hindrance to the orderly flow of traffic, that's simply not true. Why do you think large cities all over the world are trying to encourage bicycling? More people on bikes equals less traffic congestion, not more.
    If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •