Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-14-07, 09:37 PM   #1
FaceThem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FaceThem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cyclist yeild to cars..not the othe other way around

..lets try this again..

I ride facing the traffic 99.9% of the time and this allows me the greatest possible safety margin for myself.. i watch head on the approaching traffic and move aside when they seem unwilling to move even an inch ..some actually move a little towards me in protest but i simply move well aside spoiling their attempt to "teach me a lesson". Most of the time i'll simply switch over to the other side of the road giving them the widest possible margin. So i am in complete control and drivers couldn't hit me even if they tried...i'm dodging all the crazy drivers..not all the crazy drivers dodging me..and as a result the world is my oyster..i listen to Mozart to drown out road noise but i normally take the routes where I don't see much traffic...when i do encounter oncoming cars and trucks i ride facing them..when it looks like they're not going to move over even a tiny courteous amount i go onto the shoulder and let them tear by.

Anyone who rides with their back to the traffic is playing Russian roulette. When i ride facing the traffic i am the one that makes adjustments and i am the one that gets out of everyone's way. By everyone I mean cyclists, cars, trucks, motorcycles, joggers, skateboarders, roller bladders, pedestrians and what ever is coming at me. I go unnoticed on the roads because no one has to brake or maneuver around me.
Whenever traffic passes, I simply give them the widest possible berth. I ride very slow or walk in very dangerous situations. My bikes big wide tires allow me to go almost anywhere. The big motorcycle mirror mounted on the right side (yes right) really enhances my way of seeing all.

This way of riding, facing the traffic, was not my idea but my fathers. He was a very smart man when it came to safety. Our entire house was wired with fire detectors 57 years ago. All our boats were enhanced with flotation to prevent them sinking. He must have been the first to get those studded winter tires 50 years ago. He invented safety mirrors for cars that were slightly convex. His most significant accomplishment was redesigning the safety shoe for electrical workers to prevent electrocution. If you have a white tag on your safety shoe with an orange Greek "omega" symbol, that's his shoe. It only took 15 years to convince people it was a smart idea.

The traffic laws work fairly well for the masses and not too many cyclists are being killed or injured but I prefer feeling entirely safe. I will never rely on others to see me. I will always want to see them and I will continue my civil disobedience and cycling.

This past spring in Ontario 7 cyclist were killed in 19 days http://www.therecord.com/links/links_070623125435.html


Cycling facing the traffic is slowly been implemented in different parts of the world. See this link........... http://archive.thisisoxfordshire.co..../14/69179.html
and this one...http://www.bikexprt.com/bikepol/faci...contraflow.htm







---Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
FaceThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:05 PM   #2
le brad
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: portland, or
Bikes:
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
??
le brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:12 PM   #3
Brian Ratliff
Senior Member
 
Brian Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Portland, OR
Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
Posts: 10,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
^^^
Stir, stir, stir the pot...

Fourth time the charm?
__________________
Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 09-14-07 at 10:23 PM.
Brian Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:14 PM   #4
Brian Ratliff
Senior Member
 
Brian Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Portland, OR
Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
Posts: 10,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think he posts here everytime his little "practice" results in a ticket or crash.

I sorry. I shouldn't feed the troll.
__________________
Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Brian Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:15 PM   #5
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Whatever floats your boat.
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:16 PM   #6
Brian Ratliff
Senior Member
 
Brian Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Portland, OR
Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
Posts: 10,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I almost ran into a cyclist riding the wrong way. That would've hurt. We started doing the chicken dance.

Fortunately, we came to an agreement in time: him in the traffic lane (going the wrong way, I might add) and me hugging the curb.
__________________
Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Brian Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:22 PM   #7
seafoamer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: pee-dee-ecks
Bikes:
Posts: 318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride with traffic mainly because I have a terrific ass and want the greatest amount of ppl to see it.
seafoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 10:25 PM   #8
Brian Ratliff
Senior Member
 
Brian Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Portland, OR
Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
Posts: 10,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
^^^
Well, I ride with traffic just so I can see your ass.
__________________
Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Brian Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 11:18 PM   #9
kylen721
I Ride Slow
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DFW, TX
Bikes: Orbea Orca, Raleigh Furley
Posts: 231
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I yell at people who ride against traffic... very nicely of course... but yelling none the less
kylen721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 11:30 PM   #10
john bono
Senior Member
 
john bono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've found my encounters with wrong way cyclists have been reduced tremendously once I started carrying my lance.
john bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-07, 11:48 PM   #11
axelfox
Senior Member
 
axelfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceThem View Post
..lets try this again..

I ride facing the traffic 99.9% of the time and this allows me the greatest possible safety margin for myself.. i watch head on the approaching traffic and move aside when they seem unwilling to move even an inch ..some actually move a little towards me in protest but i simply move well aside spoiling their attempt to "teach me a lesson". Most of the time i'll simply switch over to the other side of the road giving them the widest possible margin. So i am in complete control and drivers couldn't hit me even if they tried...i'm dodging all the crazy drivers..not all the crazy drivers dodging me..and as a result the world is my oyster..i listen to Mozart to drown out road noise but i normally take the routes where I don't see much traffic...when i do encounter oncoming cars and trucks i ride facing them..when it looks like they're not going to move over even a tiny courteous amount i go onto the shoulder and let them tear by.

Anyone who rides with their back to the traffic is playing Russian roulette. When i ride facing the traffic i am the one that makes adjustments and i am the one that gets out of everyone's way. By everyone I mean cyclists, cars, trucks, motorcycles, joggers, skateboarders, roller bladders, pedestrians and what ever is coming at me. I go unnoticed on the roads because no one has to brake or maneuver around me.
Whenever traffic passes, I simply give them the widest possible berth. I ride very slow or walk in very dangerous situations. My bikes big wide tires allow me to go almost anywhere. The big motorcycle mirror mounted on the right side (yes right) really enhances my way of seeing all.

This way of riding, facing the traffic, was not my idea but my fathers. He was a very smart man when it came to safety. Our entire house was wired with fire detectors 57 years ago. All our boats were enhanced with flotation to prevent them sinking. He must have been the first to get those studded winter tires 50 years ago. He invented safety mirrors for cars that were slightly convex. His most significant accomplishment was redesigning the safety shoe for electrical workers to prevent electrocution. If you have a white tag on your safety shoe with an orange Greek "omega" symbol, that's his shoe. It only took 15 years to convince people it was a smart idea.

The traffic laws work fairly well for the masses and not too many cyclists are being killed or injured but I prefer feeling entirely safe. I will never rely on others to see me. I will always want to see them and I will continue my civil disobedience and cycling.

This past spring in Ontario 7 cyclist were killed in 19 days http://www.therecord.com/links/links_070623125435.html


Cycling facing the traffic is slowly been implemented in different parts of the world. See this link........... http://archive.thisisoxfordshire.co..../14/69179.html
and this one...http://www.bikexprt.com/bikepol/faci...contraflow.htm







---Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
axelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 12:00 AM   #12
Bikepacker67
Banned
 
Bikepacker67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ogopogo's shoreline
Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is what we call a neotroll...
Bikepacker67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 12:01 AM   #13
Bekologist
totally louche
 
Bekologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: A land that time forgot
Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
Posts: 18,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
great way to make eye contact with drivers.
Bekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 12:12 AM   #14
croscoe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Beware! The federal government has dispatched ABVs (anti-bike vehicles). Use extreme caution.


Realize that you will never be completely safe. I believe that you are less safe riding against traffic listening to music. Darting all over the place is not advised as it triggers the motorists "wtf" sensors. Flow with the traffic, be pradictable, be safe.
croscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 12:15 AM   #15
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
I take it that your Dad became the big safety man AFTER he dropped you on your head?

Normally you post this BS in June of each year. Your 3 months late this year and you posted it twice within 4 minutes. It really creates confidence in your postition.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 01:01 AM   #16
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Bikes:
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did he invent the internet, too?
CommuterRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 03:16 AM   #17
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.
 
Artkansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: La Petite Roche
Bikes:
Posts: 12,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceThem View Post
The big motorcycle mirror mounted on the right side (yes right) really enhances my way of seeing all.
Yeah I bet. Riding into traffic all you will ever see in your mirror is the traffic that has already passed by. That's a real safety item.
Artkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 05:00 AM   #18
Hobartlemagne 
Spelling Snob
 
Hobartlemagne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano, Texas
Bikes: Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm lets do some collision math:

riding "against": Traffic 40mph + Bike 20mph = collision speed of 60mph
riding "with": Traffic 40mph - Bike 20mph = collision speed of 20mph
__________________

The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!
Hobartlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 06:17 AM   #19
piper_chuck
Senior Member
 
piper_chuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Bikes:
Posts: 562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
Did he invent the internet, too?
Nope, just the part that helps people avoid being electrocuted when they're online.
piper_chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 06:48 AM   #20
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff View Post
I almost ran into a cyclist riding the wrong way. That would've hurt. We started doing the chicken dance.

Fortunately, we came to an agreement in time: him in the traffic lane (going the wrong way, I might add) and me hugging the curb.
I've hit one straight on. Broke my wheel, fork, and bent (slightly) the frame. Not much room on the side of the road to miss the ba**ards.



If he's lucky, as he ages, he'll learn
closetbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 06:59 AM   #21
FaceThem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FaceThem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seven deaths in 19 days

Seven deaths in 19 days...excerpt.."It appears that Taylor was doing everything right when a car driven by an 85-year-old man plowed into him from behind, killing him."
FaceThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 07:00 AM   #22
dobber
Perineal Pressurized
 
dobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In Ebritated
Bikes:
Posts: 6,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
__________________
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 07:15 AM   #23
FaceThem
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
FaceThem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
Hmm lets do some collision math:

riding "against": Traffic 40mph + Bike 20mph = collision speed of 60mph
riding "with": Traffic 40mph - Bike 20mph = collision speed of 20mph

Traffic 40mph ???? Not where i live..more like 60mph
Bike 20 mph?? going up hill against the wind...more like 5mph


Lets do some other math

riding "against": 2 eyes cyclist plus 2 eyes driver = 4 eyes collision avoidance
riding "with": 2 eyes driver = 2 eyes driver (and hopefully not blurry or distracted or blinded by glare)
FaceThem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 07:45 AM   #24
shumacher
Senior Member
 
shumacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hammond, LA
Bikes: 95 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, 92 Specialized Sirrus Triple
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
I've hit one straight on. Broke my wheel, fork, and bent (slightly) the frame. Not much room on the side of the road to miss the ba**ards.



If he's lucky, as he ages, he'll learn
If I'm reading that chart correctly, since I'm 31, I should start riding against traffic.
shumacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-07, 07:54 AM   #25
Brian Ratliff
Senior Member
 
Brian Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Portland, OR
Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
Posts: 10,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceThem View Post
riding "against": 2 eyes cyclist plus 2 eyes driver = 4 eyes collision avoidance
riding "with": 2 eyes driver = 2 eyes driver (and hopefully not blurry or distracted or blinded by glare)
We should drive our cars against traffic. The same logic holds, yea?

So, where do you live that has all these nice shoulders which you can ride against traffic? Or do you ride against traffic on roads without shoulders as well?
__________________
Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Brian Ratliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 AM.