Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-26-07, 12:51 PM   #1
HQQKEM
Slow Swimmer
Thread Starter
 
HQQKEM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
SafeRoutes

I found this website http://www.saferoutesinfo.org/index.cfm and thought I would share it with the group. It really hit home about right now, as my son wanted to start riding to school this year. The school's official reply was that "we will try to find some place to store the bikes, but we discourage riding to school because of the traffic, the new drivers, and safety concerns." I'm glad to know there is a national movement to encourage
HQQKEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 01:01 PM   #2
littlewaywelt
Senior Member
 
littlewaywelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HQQKEM View Post
I found this website http://www.saferoutesinfo.org/index.cfm and thought I would share it with the group. It really hit home about right now, as my son wanted to start riding to school this year. The school's official reply was that "we will try to find some place to store the bikes, but we discourage riding to school because of the traffic, the new drivers, and safety concerns." I'm glad to know there is a national movement to encourage
Standard school bs. My kindergartener rides to school everyday with me in tow. I just lock his bike to the railing and his mom picks him and his bike up at the end of the school day. I'm slowly getting the school involved by pushing the green issue. I wrote a short piece about cycling's merrits for the school paper as well.

There are all kinds of things you can do to make it happen.
littlewaywelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-07, 04:01 PM   #3
octopuswithafez
Climbing and Biking
 
octopuswithafez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle
Bikes:
Posts: 91
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
Standard school bs. My kindergartener rides to school everyday with me in tow. I just lock his bike to the railing and his mom picks him and his bike up at the end of the school day. I'm slowly getting the school involved by pushing the green issue. I wrote a short piece about cycling's merrits for the school paper as well.

There are all kinds of things you can do to make it happen.
Damn! What size trailer do you sit in? Plus I am trying to imagine the size your kid's calves...
octopuswithafez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-07, 07:52 AM   #4
littlewaywelt
Senior Member
 
littlewaywelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopuswithafez View Post
Damn! What size trailer do you sit in? Plus I am trying to imagine the size your kid's calves...
nice!

Here's a great resource for anyone trying to green their school:
http://www.greenschools.net/index.html
littlewaywelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:56 AM.