Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    njm
    njm is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Houston light rail accident highlight reel

    Saw this link on CL BikeFo. Take note of how many drivers make turns from straight-only lanes.

    http://www.videosift.com/video/The-g...l-metro-system

    Caption: "If these drivers can't see a train, what hope do bicyclists have?"

  2. #2
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,571
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njm View Post
    Saw this link on CL BikeFo. Take note of how many drivers make turns from straight-only lanes.

    http://www.videosift.com/video/The-g...l-metro-system

    Caption: "If these drivers can't see a train, what hope do bicyclists have?"
    Classic in so many ways. Just classic. Gee, if you can't see a train...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bahahaha i laughed my bum off. thanks mate

  4. #4
    Senior Member StrangeWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA.
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, and people want to convince me that there are only a handful of people that pose a risk to a cyclist on the road.

    Also: Isn't it all so comforting knowing how many people don't check their mirror during a turn?

  5. #5
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,916
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are all those left turns illegal? I saw a few were marked as straight only, but not all.

    I wonder as if not it is an example of the problem of putting a thru lane across the path of a possible turning lane.

    Al

  6. #6
    tinydr
    Guest
    I'm curious as to how fast the "trains" are moving?

    Seems to me this is part of the problem with having LRVs operating on a streetgrade trainway.

  7. #7
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,571
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinydr View Post
    I'm curious as to how fast the "trains" are moving?

    Seems to me this is part of the problem with having LRVs operating on a streetgrade trainway.
    Seems to me this is part of the problem with granting drivers' licenses to just about anyone.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lt.Gustl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    My Bikes
    '80 Motobecane '86 Eddy Merckx '88 Miyata
    Posts
    242
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phoenix has an at grade light rail and I think the results will be the same. people are lousy drivers here. the approach speed isn't that high, it's just that the train can't react when it seems some bumble brained ninny about to turn, they just have to have faith in the idiots around them. I hope these idiots learned there lesson and that they have to pay to have the train repaired, missed time by occupants that were late for work etc...

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Francisco!
    My Bikes
    2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)
    Posts
    903
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember coming across a site detailing how bad Houston drivers were. Looks like this video confirms it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,154
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm all for Houston's lightrail but they made several huge mistakes.

    1. The trains run at grade level and speeds are over 25 mph.

    2. They allow cars to "ride" right along with the lightrail at speed. The lightrail should ONLY be given the green light to move while the motorist receives the red light until the train is 1 city block away. This is the procedure for the Hudson Bergen lightrail which has a fraction of the accidents that Houston has due to stopping all motor traffic once the lightrail enters the block.

  11. #11
    njm
    njm is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Posts
    311
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    I'm all for Houston's lightrail but they made several huge mistakes.

    1. The trains run at grade level and speeds are over 25 mph.

    2. They allow cars to "ride" right along with the lightrail at speed. The lightrail should ONLY be given the green light to move while the motorist receives the red light until the train is 1 city block away. This is the procedure for the Hudson Bergen lightrail which has a fraction of the accidents that Houston has due to stopping all motor traffic once the lightrail enters the block.
    Yeah, this is the procedure for the Green Line in Boston -- traffic doesn't get the chance to collide with the train unless a driver runs a red light.

    Someone mentioned that this is what happens when straight-ahead-going traffic crosses turn lanes, and that was exactly the generalization I was thinking of: the same drivers could do the same thing to cyclists on their right (in a bike lane or otherwise) when the drivers are making a right turn.

    I think it makes the case for bike lanes that are located INSIDE right turn lanes, as we have here in Cambridge, if bike lanes are being used.

  12. #12
    Can't ride enough! Da Tinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    south Louisiana
    My Bikes
    Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion
    Posts
    1,234
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Houston drivers are pretty bad. I teach advanced driving skills in Houston, on occasion.

    Note that hitting cars has very little effect on the train. Funny thing is that the accident rate was quite high when the trains first started running, but fell off rapidly. It seems drivers actually learned to look for the train!
    Last edited by Da Tinker; 09-27-07 at 08:17 PM.
    Happiness begins with facing life with a smile & a wink.

  13. #13
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Tinker View Post
    Yep, Houston drivers are pretty bad. I teach advanced driving skills in Houston, on occasion.

    Note that hitting cars has very little effect on the train. Funny thing is that the accident rate was quite high when the trains first started running, but fell off rapidly. It seems drivers actually learned to look for the train!
    Huh..... That's weird. They CAN be taught! *boggles*
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  14. #14
    Senior Member oilfreeandhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    My Bikes
    Shasta Kiliminjaro, Optima Dragon Recumbent
    Posts
    1,065
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very sobering. But as a bicycle rider, I must say, that I just expect it nowadays. Just yesterday, a woman was coming straight at me in a parking lot, needing to make a left turn in front of me. I got right up on her, and she jerks her wheel left, and then stops. I swear she did it just to scare the dickens out of me. It worked.
    Jim
    Make a BOLD Statement While Cycling!

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want a light rail train!

    Just for one day.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I attended BU (right on the Green line) there was a Car-T accident almost weekly, the T always won. In fact there is a particular mark that the coupling makes on the side panels and you would occasionally see cars driving around campus with one or two of these battle scars. Of course we also had a student get hit by the T on what seemed like a monthly bases. I think the conclusion to draw is that people are idiots act accordingly on your bike.

    Quote Originally Posted by njm View Post
    Yeah, this is the procedure for the Green Line in Boston -- traffic doesn't get the chance to collide with the train unless a driver runs a red light.

    Someone mentioned that this is what happens when straight-ahead-going traffic crosses turn lanes, and that was exactly the generalization I was thinking of: the same drivers could do the same thing to cyclists on their right (in a bike lane or otherwise) when the drivers are making a right turn.

    I think it makes the case for bike lanes that are located INSIDE right turn lanes, as we have here in Cambridge, if bike lanes are being used.

  17. #17
    Senior Member maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ky. and FL.
    My Bikes
    KHS steel SS
    Posts
    3,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the first part of the vid, isn't the train running stop lights?
    Not too much to say here

  18. #18
    Senior Member maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ky. and FL.
    My Bikes
    KHS steel SS
    Posts
    3,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the train stop at intersection? And doesn't it seem that the train goes much faster than the rest of the traffic? I've never een one of these trains, but from the vid, they seem to ignore traffic signals, and drive to fast.

    Looks alot like what happens when you have bike lanes: slower traffic stuck over to the right, faster poor manuevering traffic to the left.
    Not too much to say here

  19. #19
    Senior Member maddyfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ky. and FL.
    My Bikes
    KHS steel SS
    Posts
    3,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are moved over to the left, waiting to turn, but stopped, does the train stop and wiat behind you to turn, or just hit you? Can the train stop?
    Not too much to say here

  20. #20
    Elitest Murray Owner Mos6502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    My Bikes
    1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster
    Posts
    2,562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think grade level running is a problem, so long as the trains move at the same speed as cars. Denver's light rail only has a few short sections of street running, and I'm pretty sure the train goes the same speed as all other traffic, can't say I've heard of its street sections being especially accident prone.
    Aside from that, all the old streetcars used to run down street centers, and I think they actually had less accidents than the buses that replaced them.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    CA, USA
    My Bikes
    Surly CrossCheck, Xootr Swift
    Posts
    334
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the way the train manhandles those cars. I'm sorry, but I do

  22. #22
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,038
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddyfish View Post
    Does the train stop at intersection? And doesn't it seem that the train goes much faster than the rest of the traffic? I've never een one of these trains, but from the vid, they seem to ignore traffic signals, and drive to fast.

    Looks alot like what happens when you have bike lanes: slower traffic stuck over to the right, faster poor manuevering traffic to the left.
    They don't 'ignore' traffic signals. The signals are timed so that the trains don't have to stop.

    The only thing I see that looks unusual is that there is one point where it looks like there is a left turn lane on the tracks.... I've never seen that.

    Here in Denver they run the light rail the opposite direction of the traffic. I can't think of a single situation where there might be a collision that was the light rail operator's fault, and not the motorist's.

    edit: MOST of those drivers look like they're making blatantly illegal turns. The others just didn't check before they merged across the lane (Assuming that they're allowed to make the left turns at all) That left turn lane really bugs me, though.
    Last edited by bmclaughlin807; 09-28-07 at 01:57 PM.
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  23. #23
    Car(e) Free! koine2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Dallas, the only place where the DART Light Rail is a part of traffic is downtown. Things are kept really slow there and there are no turns allowed across the tracks where the rail is part of traffic. There are plenty of other roads to use to get onto the road you want. Outside of downtown, it is sometimes a subway, sometimes elevated and sometimes a regular train off street train (with rail crossings and the crossing block thingy's that block cross traffic). It has made for few accidents.
    "There is hardly a man or woman who dares to be just what he or she is without doctoring up the impression." --A.W. Tozer

  24. #24
    Senior Member Rex G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bellaire TX USA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally, it is illegal to turn left across the path of the train in Houston. In places where it is legal to turn left, there are signals indicating when to do so, which is NOT when the train is present.
    Have Colt, will travel...

  25. #25
    Senior Member Rex G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Bellaire TX USA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those who were changing lanes into the train, where the trains and cars share the lane, were "changing lanes not in safety" by Texas traffic law, just as if they cut off any other type of vehicle.
    Have Colt, will travel...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •