Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-29-07, 11:26 PM   #1
NYCJAZIE
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
NYCJAZIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok

Original Content: FIRST THINGS FIRST...I AM A 37YRD OLD FEMALE PROFESSIONAL BICYCLISTS AND ALSO A OWNER OF A MOTOR VEHICLE ...SO I KNOW HOW IT WORKS BOTH WAYS ON THE ROAD, I HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR A LONG TIME NOW. TODAY I HAD MY FIRST EXPERIENCE ON THE ROAD WITH MY VEHICLE AND AN IMMATURE BICYCLIST WHO APPERENTLY DOES NOT KNOW THE RULES OF BIKING AT ALL. LET ME EXPLAINED WHAT HAPPEND. I WAS DRIVING DOWN SECOND AVE IN NYC...BY 9TH STREET WHERE WE HAVE BIKE LANES FOR OUR CITY BIKERS..WHICH SINCE I AM ONE MYSELF I THINK IS WONDERFUL, SO HERE I AM I KNOW THERE IS A BIKE LANE, BUT ALSO ON THE LEFT LANE OF THE BIKE LANE VEHICLES ALSO MAKE THEIR TURNS. OK SO NOW I KNOW THIS AND BECAUSE AGAIN I AM A BIKER MYSELF I LOOK AT MY MIRRORS BEFORE I MAKE MY TURN ON THE LEFT LANE BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO GO AROUND THE BIKE LANE, ONCE YOUR ON YOUR TURNING POINT YOU HAVE A BLIND SPOT IN YOUR MIRROR BECAUSE YOU CAN'T SEE THE BIKE LANE ANYMORE AND YOU HAVE TO KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PEDESTRIAN WHO ARE CROSSING WHILE YOUR TRYING TO MAKE YOUR TURN...IMPOSSIBLE TO KEEP AN EYE ON A BIKER LIKE MYSELF, NOW HERE COMES DANGER... AS I WAS MAKING MY LEFT TURN I HEAR A VOICE SAYING WAIT, WAIT...I AM LIKE OK NOW COULD THAT BE SOMEONE IN THE SIDEWALK YELLING AT A FRIEND OR IT COULD OF JUST BEEN ANYONE TALKING WHATEVER THE CASE MAY HAVE BEEN, I NEVER EXPECTED THIS FROM A BIKER. (I GUESS IS A NEW ONE NOW) I STILL KEEP GOING BUT AT A SLOW PACE...(THANK GOD). THEN I HEAR IT AGAIN AND THEN NEXT THING YOU KNOW I HAVE A BIKER IN FRONT OF MY CAR..(I AM LIKE, ARE YOU KIDDING ME)...SO I SEE THAT HE IS NOT HURT BUT SCARED..( I DON'T BLAME HIM..MY HEART WAS READY TO JUMP OUT TOO), BUT NOW HE GETS CRAZY AND ANGRY AT ME...AND I AM JUST SITTING IN MY CAR LOOKING AT HIM TELLING ME THAT I WAS IN THE BIKERS LANE, I WAS WRONG AND THAT I KNEW IT...BLAH BLAH BLAH. ALL I SAID WAS DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A REPORT I CAN PULL OVER AND WE CAN TAKE CARE OF THIS, HE SAID NO AND KEPT TALKING CRAP AND I SAID OK SO NOW CAN YOU PLEASE GET OUT OF THE WAY SO THAT I CAN CONTINUE WITH MY DAY...AND HE LEFT AND I KEPT GOING ABOUT MY BUSINESS. WHILE I AM DRIVING I SEE HIM NEXT TO ME IN MY CAR AND HE IS LIKE "HEY YOU BROKE MY SPOKES", I SAID REALLY FOLLOW ME TO MY HUSBAND JOB THAT IS WHERE I AM GOING. HE SAID THIS IS GOING TO COST ME FIFTY DOLLARS AND I SAID OH REALLY WELL I DON'T HAVE THAT KIND OF CASH ON ME RIGHT NOW..BUT YOU CAN FOLLOW ME TO MY HUSBAND JOB AND HE CAN GIVE IT TO YOU, SO HE DID AND MY HUSBAND WHO IS A PROFESSIONAL BIKER HIMSELF LOOKED AT THE BIKE AND WE SPOKE TO THE KID A BIT ABOUT HOW HE WAS WRONG IN THE FIRST PLACE.

1) IF THERE IS A BIKE LINE:

I MUST NOT PARK, STAND OR STOP WITHIN OR OTHERWISE OBSTRUCT BIKE LANES, I WAS NOT IN ONE, BUT WENT AROUND IT TO MAKE MY TURN..ALL CARS DO IT AND IT'S ALLOW.

2) I MUST NOT DRIVE ACROSS A BIKE LANE EXCEPT FOR ACCESS, SAFETY AND TURNS.

(OK, SO WHEN HE TOLD ME I WAS WRONG FOR MAKING MY LEGAL TURN I WAS LIKE OK WE HAVE ISSUES).

3) HE WAS TELLING ME HOW HE SAW ME AND WAS TELLING ME TO WAIT, I SAID KID THIS IS NEW YORK CITY AND THE CARS ARE HONKING AND PEOPLE ARE EVERYWHERE AND WE DO HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF NOISE GOING AROUND US ALL THE TIME. SO HERE IS THE ICING ON THE CAKE...I TOLD HIM SO IF YOU SAW ME, WHY DID YOU KEEP GOING AND DID NOT BRAKE, I DID NOT HIT HIM, HE ACTUALLY HIT MY CAR. HE HAD A FIXED BIKE WITH NO BRAKES AND THE BIKE IS MADE FOR A TRACK NOT THE ROAD, "WOW" HOW CRAZY IS THAT, BIKING IN NEW YORK CITY WITH NO BRAKES. HE HAD NO HELMET WHICH REALLY PISSED ME THE HELL OFF AND HE HAD NO WHISTLE OR A BIKE BELL, AND HE HAS THE NERVE TO GET MAD AT ME. SO NOW LETS RECALL THIS INCIDENT.

I AM MAKING MY LEGAL TURN WITH A BLIND SPOT BECAUSE NOW MY MIRROR IS FACING NOT THE BIKE LANE BUT THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD I AM GOING DOWN NOW REMEMBER.

THE KID SAYS TO ME WHILE I AM IN A CAR WITH NOISE IN IT...WAIT WAIT. OKKKKKK.

THEN HE ENDS UP ON THE FRONT OF MY CAR WHILE MY CAR IS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TURN ALMOST FINISHING IT. DON'T ASK ME HOW HE ENDED UP THERE.

THEN HE GOES NUTS.

THEN HE HAS NO HELMET.

NO BELL OR WHISTLE. GOD HOW IMPORTANT ARE THOSE THINGS, PLEASE DONT BE UPSET IF WE DON'T SEE YOU WHEN YOU HAVE NOTHING ON YOUR BIKE TO WARN ANYONE INCLUDING PEDESTRIANS THAT YOU ARE ON THE ROAD, AND IF YOU REALLY CARED ABOUT YOUR LIFE, REMEMBER THIS, A BIKE LANE IS A BIKE LANE AND THAT IS ALL IT IS, YOU STILL HAVE TO RESPECT IT WITH YOUR LIFE...IT DOES NOT MEAN KEEP GOING BECAUSE IS A BIKE LANE AND ALSO IF YOU SEE A CAR TURNING AND YOU HAVE NO BRAKES ON YOUR BIKE THEN YOU HAVE A VERY BIG PROBLEM IN YOUR HANDS, BECAUSE THAT IS ONE OF THE LAWS IN NYC ABOUT BIKING IN NY. DON'T EXPECT A DRIVER TO CARE FOR YOU ON THE ROAD, WHEN YOU THE BIKER HAS NO RESPECT FOR YOURSELF. WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS ON YOUR BIKE THAT CAN REALLY SAVE YOUR LIFE THEN BASICALLY YOU'RE JUST LOOKING TO GET HURT AND MAYBE EVEN RUIN SOME INNOCENT DRIVER OR PEDESTRIANS LIFE THINKING THAT THEY KILLED SOMEONE ONLY BECAUSE THAT BIKER WAS CARELESS OF HIMSELF. ALWAYS TAKE CARE OF YOU ON THE ROAD AND WORRY ABOUT YOU, THE REST COMES EASY. AS FOR MYSELF I WAS VERY FORTUNATE TODAY THAT THE KID TURNED OUT TO BE A GOOD KID AND SAID HE WAS SORRY AND THAT HE WAS GOING TO GET A HELMET AND A BELL FOR HIS BIKE, WE GAVE HIM THE FIFTY BUCKS BECAUSE WE ARE ADULTS AND I GUESS HE NEEDED IT FOR THE DAMAGE THAT HE HIMSELF DID TO HIS BIKE, BECAUSE BELIEVE ME IF I WOULD OF HIT HIM WITH MY CAR HE MIGHT NOT HAD A BIKE LEFT NOR HIS LIFE...AND THE DAMAGE WAS ON HIS FRONT WHEEL FROM NOT HAVING BREAKS AND STOPPING WITH HIS FEET AND GOING FOWARD, BUT ALL IN ALL, PLEASE BIKERS DON'T ALWAYS BLAME THE DRIVERS, READ THE LAWS AT WWW.NYCDOT.COM AND REMEMBER NOT EVERYONE READS THEM AND WHEN EVER YOU GET INTO AN ACCIDENT ALWAYS REPORT IT, IN MY CASE THE KID WAS FINE, HE JUST TAP MY FRONT BENDER, BUT ENOUGH TO TEACH HIM A LESSON.

P.S. THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE ON BOTH ENDS OF THE ROAD.


BE SAFE, WEAR YOUR HELMETS AND PLEASE HAVE A WHISTLE OR A BELL ON YOUR BIKE, JUST LIKE DRIVERS HAVE A HORN TO WARN YOU, BIKERS NEED TO DO THE SAME FOR THEIR SAFETY. I NEVER LEAVE MY HOUSE WITH OUT MY WHISTLE, HELMET, AND THE REST OF MY PROPER GEAR, BUT BECAUSE I AM A DRIVER MYSELF I ALSO THINK JUST LIKE THEY DO AND I KNOW THE CAR BLIND SPOTS, SO I KEEP MYSELF SAFE, ALERT AND PREPARE TO MAKE A QUICK TURN AND I DON'T PUT MY TRUST ON ANYONE ON THE ROAD BUT MYSELF, MY JUDGEMENTS ARE MY ACTIONS TO MY SAFETY ON THE ROAD, DON'T EVER ASSUME THAT SOMEONE IS WATCHING OUT FOR YOU, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT, AND DRIVERS HAVE TO MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT BESIDES US THE BIKERS, SO GO AHEAD GRAB YOUR GEAR, YOUR WHISTLE YOUR NIGHT LIGHTS, AND EVERYTHING ELSE AND LET US KNOW THAT YOUR THERE TOO. I DO IT EVERYDAY FOR 3HRS WITH NO PROBLEMS.

HUGS, NYCJAZIE.

Last edited by NYCJAZIE; 10-01-07 at 04:16 PM.
NYCJAZIE is offline  
Old 09-29-07, 11:34 PM   #2
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,651
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Um, ok. I fear your point is lost amidst your "shouting", however.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 01:09 AM   #3
filtersweep
Senior Member
 
filtersweep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your post is rather rude, when you use ALL CAPS-- are you new to the interne? Actually, I thought they had a filter here to stop this sort of thing. Secondly, you have not made a clear point in your post. I have no idea what you are ranting about. There are so many issues mixed together.

BTW- what is a "professional bicyclist"? Does this mean you race road bikes? Mtn bikes? BMX? Downhill? Track? What? I have no clue.

I do not think bike lanes are wonderful at all--- for this exact reason.

I still do not understand what happened. It sounds like you were in the wrong, and are blaming your "blind spot" for failing to see the cyclist. Was the bike lane on the right or left side of the street? Were there one way streets involved? Is the bike lane on the left side of the road, and you are turning left?

How would a bell help when so many drivers have their windows rolled up, are talking on cell phones, etc...?

How can you go "around" a bike lane without driving "in" it? The fact is, you crossed a bike lane without yielding to a bike. What if you crossed a regular vehicle lane and hit another car? It is your responsibility to yield when changing lanes. A bike lane is a lane.

So what if he has no helmet. He still had the right of way.
filtersweep is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 02:01 AM   #4
StrangeWill
Senior Member
 
StrangeWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fallbrook, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cliffnotes version please.
StrangeWill is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 02:22 AM   #5
njm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Cambridge, Mass.
Bikes:
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, this was quite a post, NYCJAZIE. First, WELCOME TO BIKEFORUMS.

I know exactly the intersection you're talking about. It's a busy neighborhood, and there's a lot to keep track of when turning. Pedestrians in the crosswalk are one of those things. Cyclists in the bike lane that you're driving through are another one. I bet you'll be more careful when making turns in the future, and I bet the cyclist will be, too, and in that sense there's quite a bit of good that can come out of this, even though it was, clearly, upsetting to you.

I bet the cyclist will also consider moving to the regular lane at intersections to avoid this kind of problem.

I just wanted to follow up with a couple points -- I hope it's okay that I made some sentences lowercase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJAZIE
He had a fixed bike with no brakes and the bike is made for a track not the road, "wow" how crazy is that, biking in new york city with no brakes.
Have you been to Park Slope lately? Or the rest of the East Village, where you were?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJAZIE
I am making my legal turn with a blind spot because now my mirror is facing not the bike lane but the right side of the road i am going down now remember.

The kid says to me while i am in a car with noise in it...wait wait. Okkkkkk.

Then he ends up on the front of my car while my car is in the middle of the turn almost finishing it. Don't ask me how he ended up there.
As filtersweep mentioned above, driving through another vehicle's lane is, well, just like driving through another vehicle's lane. Just because when you were doing it, you couldn't see the lane in your mirror, doesn't excuse you from what happens.

And I think we can piece together how he ended up on the front of your car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJAZIE
When you don't have the most important things on your bike that can really save your life then basically you're just looking to get hurt and maybe even ruin some innocent driver or pedestrians life thinking that they killed someone only because that biker was careless of himself.
I don't quite know how you could say this. The people on BF read about cyclists who die on the road on a weekly basis. To write about what a tragedy it would be for a cyclist to get hurt -- because of the grief it would cause to the driver involved -- seems way out of line.

Not "out of line" for the internet, or because this is a cycling discussion site, but because that's a terrible thing for a person to say.

As I said above, it's good that no one was hurt. But I think you ought to re-read what you wrote, re-examine your reactions, and try to be a more bike-friendly driver in the future. Since you say you're a cyclist, I'm sure you'll be able to.

Again, welcome to BikeForums.

Last edited by njm; 09-30-07 at 02:26 AM. Reason: attach name to quotes; make correction
njm is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 04:01 AM   #6
why2not
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 195
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a little confused as to NY laws

It seems that you belive that for riding a bike
1) Helmets are required by laws
2) Bells or whistles are required by law
3) Brakes are required by law

It seems that you believe that when entering another vehicle's lane
4) You are not required to check behind you to ensure that you're not going to smash into an overtaking vehicle - that it is the other drivers responsiblity to stop when you suddenly enter their lane right in front of them

I suspect that only 3 is actually a law & if the cops had been called, the cyclist could had gotten a ticket for 3, while you would have gotten a ticket for 4. I think you should be thankful that you pulled your stunt in front of a cyclist, rather than veering in front of a car that way. They could have impacted you on your drivers door & then you wouldn't be around to convince yourself that the injury you caused another person was their fault, not yours. Personally, I hope this convinces you to position your mirrors so there are no blind spots, or actually look behind you (several times) to ensure there are no other vehicles in you blind spot before changing or crossing lanes.
why2not is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 07:21 AM   #7
maddyfish
Senior Member
 
maddyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ky. and FL.
Bikes: KHS steel SS
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check your blind spot next time, Babe. Before you run over somebody.
maddyfish is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 08:41 AM   #8
darksiderising
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303
Posts: 1,248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I was pretty sure that I knew what she was trying to say, and you all confirmed it. Thanks, BF community!
darksiderising is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 10:48 AM   #9
dobber
Perineal Pressurized
 
dobber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: In Ebritated
Bikes:
Posts: 6,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to post a response but since I'm not only an amateur cyclist but also an amateur board member I'll refrain.
__________________
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
dobber is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 12:17 PM   #10
doktoravalanche
Senior Member
 
doktoravalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: People's republic of Kernow
Bikes: Frankenhinger
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
doktoravalanche is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 12:19 PM   #11
stevesurf
another cat...FAB!
 
stevesurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: 1st star to the right...
Bikes: Merlin Ti Build, Trek Y-50, Bianchi Titanium Build, Custom Cuevas Road bike
Posts: 1,381
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone should thank you njm for the effort in translating that post in what is a very important section (Advocacy) in BF...so thank you...

...the "war" or difference of opinion between cyclists and motorists is extreme - there's a great article about Critical Mass in this month's Bicycling magazine - I recommend the read, as it better educates us (like me) that are not as aware of both sides' mindsets...

I recommend the OP, if serious about her concern, check out the two Bike Advocacy links in my sig and just get to know our mutual situation and then commit to supporting one side or another. Yes, I believe there is no middle ground when it comes to Bike Advocacy, because there is so much stacked against us as cyclists, to the point where I'll only commute in a bike friendly community, instead of putting myself at risk on shared roads as so many brave people here do...I guess the time I got hit by a car just created a fear in me that I have yet to overcome...


Quote:
Originally Posted by njm View Post
Wow, this was quite a post, NYCJAZIE.
...

I don't quite know how you could say this. The people on BF read about cyclists who die on the road on a weekly basis. To write about what a tragedy it would be for a cyclist to get hurt -- because of the grief it would cause to the driver involved -- seems way out of line.

Not "out of line" for the internet, or because this is a cycling discussion site, but because that's a terrible thing for a person to say.

As I said above, it's good that no one was hurt. But I think you ought to re-read what you wrote, re-examine your reactions, and try to be a more bike-friendly driver in the future. Since you say you're a cyclist, I'm sure you'll be able to.

Again, welcome to BikeForums.
__________________
9
stevesurf is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 12:24 PM   #12
gcl8a
Je pose, donc je suis.
 
gcl8a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Odense, Denmark
Bikes:
Posts: 1,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Learn how to write, please.
gcl8a is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 12:27 PM   #13
Rex G
Senior Member
 
Rex G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bellaire TX USA
Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All-caps are fine with me, but the tiny font makes the opening post unreadable.
__________________
Have Colt, will travel...
Rex G is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 05:40 PM   #14
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,853
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
All-caps are fine with me, but the tiny font makes the opening post unreadable.
It doesn't get any better when it is legible. Mr. and Mrs Professional Bicyclist? So is my donkey.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 05:44 PM   #15
DCCommuter
52-week commuter
 
DCCommuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
It doesn't get any better when it is legible. Mr. and Mrs Professional Bicyclist? So is my donkey.
When she said "professional bicyclist" I automatically assumed chinese food delivery person. That's the most common profession for cyclists in NYC after all.
__________________
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org
DCCommuter is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 05:49 PM   #16
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Bikes:
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
English isn't your primary language, is it?

My take on this is that you pulled a classic hook on a cyclist, and now you're trying to blame him for being there. It's a no-go.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 06:14 PM   #17
Brian Ratliff
Senior Member
 
Brian Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Portland, OR
Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
Posts: 10,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCJAZIE View Post
First things first...i am a 37yrd old female professional bicyclists and also a owner of a motor vehicle ...so i know how it works both ways on the road, i have been doing it for a long time now. Today i had my first experience on the road with my vehicle and an immature bicyclist who apperently does not know the rules of biking at all. Let me explained what happend. I was driving down second ave in nyc...by 9th street where we have bike lanes for our city bikers..which since i am one myself i think is wonderful, so here i am i know there is a bike lane, but also on the left lane of the bike lane vehicles also make their turns. Ok so now i know this and because again i am a biker myself i look at my mirrors before i make my turn on the left lane because you have to go around the bike lane, once your on your turning point you have a blind spot in your mirror because you can't see the bike lane anymore and you have to keep your eyes on the pedestrian who are crossing while your trying to make your turn...impossible to keep an eye on a biker like myself, now here comes danger... As i was making my left turn i hear a voice saying wait, wait...i am like ok now could that be someone in the sidewalk yelling at a friend or it could of just been anyone talking whatever the case may have been, i never expected this from a biker. (i guess is a new one now) i still keep going but at a slow pace...(thank god). Then i hear it again and then next thing you know i have a biker in front of my car..(i am like, are you kidding me)...so i see that he is not hurt but scared..( i don't blame him..my heart was ready to jump out too), but now he gets crazy and angry at me...and i am just sitting in my car looking at him telling me that i was in the bikers lane, i was wrong and that i knew it...blah blah blah. All i said was do you want to make a report i can pull over and we can take care of this, he said no and kept talking crap and i said ok so now can you please get out of the way so that i can continue with my day...and he left and i kept going about my business. While i am driving i see him next to me in my car and he is like "hey you broke my spokes", i said really follow me to my husband job that is where i am going. He said this is going to cost me fifty dollars and i said oh really well i don't have that kind of cash on me right now..but you can follow me to my husband job and he can give it to you, so he did and my husband who is a professional biker himself looked at the bike and we spoke to the kid a bit about how he was wrong in the first place.

1) if there is a bike line:

I must not park, stand or stop within or otherwise obstruct bike lanes, i was not in one, but went around it to make my turn..all cars do it and it's allow.

2) i must not drive across a bike lane except for access, safety and turns.

(ok, so when he told me i was wrong for making my legal turn i was like ok we have issues).

3) he was telling me how he saw me and was telling me to wait, i said kid this is new york city and the cars are honking and people are everywhere and we do have lots and lots of noise going around us all the time. So here is the icing on the cake...i told him so if you saw me, why did you keep going and did not brake, i did not hit him, he actually hit my car. He had a fixed bike with no brakes and the bike is made for a track not the road, "wow" how crazy is that, biking in new york city with no brakes. He had no helmet which really pissed me the hell off and he had no whistle or a bike bell, and he has the nerve to get mad at me. So now lets recall this incident.

I am making my legal turn with a blind spot because now my mirror is facing not the bike lane but the right side of the road i am going down now remember.

The kid says to me while i am in a car with noise in it...wait wait. Okkkkkk.

Then he ends up on the front of my car while my car is in the middle of the turn almost finishing it. Don't ask me how he ended up there.

Then he goes nuts.

Then he has no helmet.

No bell or whistle. God how important are those things, please dont be upset if we don't see you when you have nothing on your bike to warn anyone including pedestrians that you are on the road, and if you really cared about your life, remember this, a bike lane is a bike lane and that is all it is, you still have to respect it with your life...it does not mean keep going because is a bike lane and also if you see a car turning and you have no brakes on your bike then you have a very big problem in your hands, because that is one of the laws in nyc about biking in ny. Don't expect a driver to care for you on the road, when you the biker has no respect for yourself. When you don't have the most important things on your bike that can really save your life then basically you're just looking to get hurt and maybe even ruin some innocent driver or pedestrians life thinking that they killed someone only because that biker was careless of himself. Always take care of you on the road and worry about you, the rest comes easy. As for myself i was very fortunate today that the kid turned out to be a good kid and said he was sorry and that he was going to get a helmet and a bell for his bike, we gave him the fifty bucks because we are adults and i guess he needed it for the damage that he himself did to his bike, because believe me if i would of hit him with my car he might not had a bike left nor his life...and the damage was on his front wheel from not having breaks and stopping with his feet and going foward, but all in all, please bikers don't always blame the drivers, read the laws at www.nycdot.com and remember not everyone reads them and when ever you get into an accident always report it, in my case the kid was fine, he just tap my front bender, but enough to teach him a lesson.

P.s. this is coming from someone on both ends of the road.


Be safe, wear your helmets and please have a whistle or a bell on your bike, just like drivers have a horn to warn you, bikers need to do the same for their safety. I never leave my house with out my whistle, helmet, and the rest of my proper gear, but because i am a driver myself i also think just like they do and i know the car blind spots, so i keep myself safe, alert and prepare to make a quick turn and i don't put my trust on anyone on the road but myself, my judgements are my actions to my safety on the road, don't ever assume that someone is watching out for you, because they are not, and drivers have to much to worry about besides us the bikers, so go ahead grab your gear, your whistle your night lights, and everything else and let us know that your there too. I do it everyday for 3hrs with no problems.

Hugs, nycjazie.
Okay, first, it is polite, on the internet, to post in standard sentence case so people can actually read what you wrote. Here, I fixed it for you.

So... what you are saying is that you cut a kid off who was traveling in the bike lane. By making a lane change without a shoulder check, you made yourself vulnerable to losing sight of something in your blind spot. I dunno. It still sounds like you all the way. It sounds like this "kid" was in the bike lane, minding his business, then some lady comes around, misjudges the lane change across the bike lane, and him, seeing the world close in on him, accelerated in front of your car to escape the sideswipe (that would be my reaction too, seeing as there is no way of knowing if I can use my brakes to stop in time to clear your rear bumper), then you, not paying attention, almost ran him down from behind, breaking some of the spokes in his wheel.

Basically, you've established that you are a ****ty driver who almost ran someone down and now is spewing on the internet looking to blame the victim. You've chosen the wrong alias to take; professional cyclists are few and they generally don't know anything about riding their bicycles in city traffic, as most of their riding miles are for training and are on roads well away from traffic. And if you were a messenger (the other type of cycling professional), they typically are solid toward other cyclists. So, basically, I'm thinking you are a lier about the professional cyclist gig. You are a housewife who got scared because she almost ran a person down while delivering lunch to your hubby because she didn't know how to drive and wants to blame the victim for your own stupidity. Sorry, this is what I read into this post.

Okay... popcorn now as HH and gang get his hands on this and blames the bike lane for this woman's stupidity... (sorry, inside joke. You're welcome to the popcorn too, just don't go popping off with all caps again.)
__________________
Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Brian Ratliff is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 06:16 PM   #18
Brian Ratliff
Senior Member
 
Brian Ratliff's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Near Portland, OR
Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.
Posts: 10,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
It doesn't get any better when it is legible. Mr. and Mrs Professional Bicyclist? So is my donkey.
What a coincidence. My two cats are Professional Bicyclists too!

$10 says they can beat your donkey.
__________________
Cat 2 Track, Cat 3 Road.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Brian Ratliff is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 06:36 PM   #19
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff View Post
$10 says they can beat your donkey.
I triple the bet. My monkey can beat 'em all:



-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 07:03 PM   #20
buzzman
----
 
buzzman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Newton, MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you drive on the real highway the way you drive on the virtual highway I hope you wear a seatbelt and have good insurance.

Previous posts have said it best but basically you need to check your mirrors and/or look over your shoulder before changing lanes. Think how it would have ruined your life had you made the same maneuver into a lane with a big 18 wheeler bearing down on you instead of a bicycle. As a driver you must treat the bicycle lane with the same respect you would any other travel lane before you cross even though it contains vehicles that might only do some minor damage to your car and your ego and not crush you like a bug.

If you are unable to see in your mirror due to a "blind spot" then you should not proceed until you are sure it is safe to do so. If you cannot manage to deal with the honking horns, crossing pedestrians, bicyclists and other distractions of driving in Manhattan then I suggest you not drive a car there until you have learned how to do so safely. I hope you ride your bicycle more carefully than you drive and, when you do, watch out for drivers as easily distracted as you are.


(note to BF regulars- I've ridden that bike lane frequently and ridden 2nd avenue long before there were bike lanes on it. The bike lane is an enormous improvement over what it was like before but as exemplified by the OP not a solution to drivers unable to negotiate the challenges of urban driving)
buzzman is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 07:21 PM   #21
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci
 
LittleBigMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Bikes:
Posts: 8,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hugs.



Be safe.
__________________
No worries
LittleBigMan is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 07:37 PM   #22
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If the cyclist had time to shout "wait wait wait", then he had time to brake and/or tuck behind the OP's car to go around as she made her turn.

IMO, the cyclist screwed this one up. I'm trying to see how the car was at fault, and I can't.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 07:55 PM   #23
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Wakulla Co. FL
Bikes:
Posts: 4,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The gist of what she said was, she cut him off.
CommuterRun is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 08:23 PM   #24
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.
 
BarracksSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
Posts: 13,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"Cut him off" -- please, I hear this from drivers who complain when another car moves into the hundred-foot space in front of them. If she "cut him off", it was because he was trying to make an unreasonable demand of her as a driver -- using his voice to utter a senselessly vague "wait wait" (what did he mean, "wait for me"? Sounds selfish to me), riding with no safety gear, and riding a fixie with no brakes in downtown NYC. Sheesh... even I'm not that stupid.

It's like skiing. The "right of way" is that uphill skiers yield to downhill skiers. I try to be courteous by looking uphill before I stop so that I don't block anybody immediately behind me. But, the skier in front -- who's usually slower -- cannot reasonably be expected to see everything that's going on behind them, and therefore cannot reasonably be expected to dodge the next Olympic wannabe downhiller who's closing at 40 mph. If there's a collision, the skier approaching from behind is almost always at fault, because they should have the time & awareness to change direction and avoid the skier in front.

I don't care what the law might say about a cyclist's right of way -- a few lines of municipal code will not shield my body from another vehicle. I'd rather be getting to my destination than going to the hospital, rehab, and civil court. My priority, then, is to safely get through traffic. I expect to get "cut off", right-hooked, left-hooked, doored, etc., so I do my best to avoid those situations entirely.

The cyclist in the original post screwed up.
BarracksSi is offline  
Old 09-30-07, 08:26 PM   #25
Dahon.Steve
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: New Jersey
Bikes:
Posts: 6,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
That had to be the hardest post I've ever read. She used very little periods and it seemed like a series or run-on sentences. Here's what I don't agree with her logic.

The OP said the cyclist was in the blind spot. While that maybe true, she knew before entering the corner that a cyclist had been passed and that cutting him off could very well lead to an accident. She was hoping he would STOP since she entered the corner first. This happens ALL the time as motorist don't care, taking unnecessary risks expecting the cyclist to slow down or come to a complete hault. In the motorists mind, the first person into the corner is right. This is a mistake.

The fact that he didn't have a helmet, whisle or bell is insignificant. She was going into that corner hard whether he had these or not!

If the cyclist had brakes, he would have been in the right but choosing to ride fixed gears compromised his position.
Dahon.Steve is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.