Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-08, 01:03 PM   #1
richardmasoner
Fritz M
Thread Starter
 
richardmasoner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: California
Bikes: Trek, Spesh, GT, Centurion
Posts: 960
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Transponders for bike safety?

Interesting idea, though short sighted in my opinion. http://www.roadsharealert.com
richardmasoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 01:20 PM   #2
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
Posts: 2,921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Wonderful idea, but it should be compatible with existing GPS and OnStar tm systems.

I think this is the way technology is heading, with motorists and cyclists able to share a railroad like system of "Centralized Traffic Control" (CTC), that has been used on the RR's for a hundred years (at least in the Northeast).

I hope there is way of overcoming the compatibility problem.

Last edited by hotbike; 03-29-08 at 01:21 PM. Reason: misspell
hotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 01:36 PM   #3
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 17,305
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
We had a similar thread on one of my email lists. Despite all of the modern technology on today's military and commercial aircraft, the pilot is still ultimately responsible for the plane. I just hope John Q. Public does not start to rely on advanced electronics as an excuse to be even less attentive, responsible, and cautious.
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 04:11 PM   #4
wheel
Senior Member
 
wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crystal MN
Bikes:
Posts: 2,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is so much we could do but don't.
Dead people are better than using technology.
wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 05:43 PM   #5
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbike View Post
Wonderful idea, but it should be compatible with existing GPS and OnStar tm systems.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbike View Post
I think this is the way technology is heading, with motorists and cyclists able to share a railroad like system of "Centralized Traffic Control" (CTC), that has been used on the RR's for a hundred years (at least in the Northeast).

I hope there is way of overcoming the compatibility problem.
Shouldn't be too much of an issue I would think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
We had a similar thread on one of my email lists. Despite all of the modern technology on today's military and commercial aircraft, the pilot is still ultimately responsible for the plane.
This is just as true for bicyclist and motorist as it is for the pilot. One point I will bring up since you mentioned aircraft is the fact that their transponders display what they are (commercial, "Friend or Foe") I would assert that a similar identification could be integrated into the transponder for cyclists. One thing I would want though would be a smaller size, not that the solar power part isn't great, it's just that the thing is just awkward looking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
I just hope John Q. Public does not start to rely on advanced electronics as an excuse to be even less attentive, responsible, and cautious.
While I agree with the sentiment, the fact of the matter is that cyclists in a world of cell phones, text messaging, etc need every alert they can get.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 09:43 PM   #6
CaptainCool
``````````````
 
CaptainCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: san jose
Bikes:
Posts: 763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, this is dumb.

It's only for drivers who buy the car module, who would probably be the drivers who are already concerned about bikers and would be watching for them. And, at worst, it's a false sense of security.

Instead, put that money into a light set, or reflective tape, or a yellow jacket, or bike safety PSAs.
CaptainCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 09:47 PM   #7
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCool View Post
No, this is dumb.

It's only for drivers who buy the car module, who would probably be the drivers who are already concerned about bikers and would be watching for them. And, at worst, it's a false sense of security.

Instead, put that money into a light set, or reflective tape, or a yellow jacket, or bike safety PSAs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Because of GM's commitment to continuous safety offering protection before, during, and after collisions OnStar will be standard in the full range of GM retail cars, trucks, and SUVs in the United States and Canada by 2007. The first year of OnStar service is included with your purchase of a new GM OnStar-equipped vehicle.
Adding this in can't hurt.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 11:31 PM   #8
kendall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kentwood michigan.
Bikes: too many
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sure it can hurt. It will provide another 'reason' cyclists and drivers don't have to pay attention.

Some cyclist gets creamed and the driver says 'well they didn't show up on my alert' or the cyclist stopped paying attention because he has the alert on his bike.

Too often people rely exclusively on their safety gear and forget how to be safe.

Ken
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-08, 11:51 PM   #9
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
Sure it can hurt. It will provide another 'reason' cyclists and drivers don't have to pay attention.

Some cyclist gets creamed and the driver says 'well they didn't show up on my alert' or the cyclist stopped paying attention because he has the alert on his bike.

Too often people rely exclusively on their safety gear and forget how to be safe.

Ken

Good grief, re read post #5. Also you need to actually visit the page the bike has a transmitter not a receiver.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 07:17 AM   #10
dmac49
Senior Member
 
dmac49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Outside..somewhere
Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Cannondale, Columbia
Posts: 433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Many states now have radar transponders at work sites. Some areas have transponders on emergency vehicles, and there are a host of other radar transponders out there for various safety related warnings. They activate radar detectors in cars. If it works on this principle I would say why not ? Any advance warning of any kind is better than none. Would I buy one....I'm not sure if I need one. Is the idea a good one....I think so.
dmac49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 12:20 PM   #11
kendall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kentwood michigan.
Bikes: too many
Posts: 487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn View Post

Good grief, re read post #5. Also you need to actually visit the page the bike has a transmitter not a receiver.
You should reread my post

the gist of it for those who need an explanation is that this system, as happens with many who mount a blinky or wear bright clothing, will promote the feeling in the CYCLIST that he can easily be seen/noticed/detected and therefore can relaxe vigilance, and won't -NEED- to be as alert.

It will do the same in the driver who has the RECIEVER in their car, (IE: the alert didn't beep so it should should be clear)

Ken.
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 02:21 PM   #12
HopliteGrad
Recreation Ecologist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Bikes: Schwinn Criss Cross (hybrid beater), Nashbar AT-2 disc MTB
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac49 View Post
radar transponders They activate radar detectors in cars.
Now THAT is an excellent idea. Is there any bike-portable device that could be used to set off radar detectors? That's an approach targeted at alerting the drivers most likely to be aggressive (i.e., the ones who are already demonstrating behaviors aimed at evading police). It also would activate a device that already has market penetration and is not proprietary.

Hmm.
HopliteGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-08, 03:08 PM   #13
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
the gist of it for those who need an explanation is that this system, as happens with many who mount a blinky or wear bright clothing, will promote the feeling in the CYCLIST that he can easily be seen/noticed/detected and therefore can relaxe vigilance, and won't -NEED- to be as alert.
A comment of a similar vein was made above. In post #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiyn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
We had a similar thread on one of my email lists. Despite all of the modern technology on today's military and commercial aircraft, the pilot is still ultimately responsible for the plane.
This is just as true for bicyclist and motorist as it is for the pilot. One point I will bring up since you mentioned aircraft is the fact that their transponders display what they are (commercial, "Friend or Foe") I would assert that a similar identification could be integrated into the transponder for cyclists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
It will do the same in the driver who has the RECIEVER in their car, (IE: the alert didn't beep so it should should be clear)

Ken.
Right, just like the early warning system built into Volvo's CAUSES crashes.
__________________

Last edited by Raiyn; 04-02-08 at 01:40 PM.
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-08, 03:22 PM   #14
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think a cell phone jammer would be more effective.
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 01:43 PM   #15
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE
 
Raiyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
I think a cell phone jammer would be more effective.
I disagree, at that point the driver will be more distracted in the "What the flying ********************* happened to my phone!?" sense and will automatically look at the phone display instead of the road.
__________________
Raiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 06:41 PM   #16
lanman
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn...I have been thinking of a similar concept for my thesis...back to the drawing board I suppose. This is fundamentally a good idea I feel, there are no pro-active safety solutions available to cyclists, only active and passive (lights, reflective gear, helmets). A more pro-active approach is necessary, because clearly it is not evident enough to drivers that there are cyclists out there.
lanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 07:53 PM   #17
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have grave doubts about using technology to solve behavioural problems. It may work well enough, but when that technology invariably fails...
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 03:12 PM   #18
FOG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Annapolis, MD
Bikes:
Posts: 798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbike View Post
Wonderful idea, but it should be compatible with existing GPS and OnStar tm systems.

I think this is the way technology is heading, with motorists and cyclists able to share a railroad like system of "Centralized Traffic Control" (CTC), that has been used on the RR's for a hundred years (at least in the Northeast).

I hope there is way of overcoming the compatibility problem.
CTC is a tradename for a brand of Traffic Control System (TCS). TCS relies on exclusive block allocation, which is completely unworkable for highway use, because trains are not permitted even to enter a block where another train is present. Positive Train Control, computer based train control, may offer the possibilty of flexible blocks, which would not allow a train to get close enough to a preceding train that an immediate service application of the brakes would result in the following train passing the preceding train's current position, even if the preceding train is moving in the same direction. This is quite different from what highway users do in current operation, where the following vehicle only needs to be able to stop behind where the preceding vehicle will stop, given the current speed. This results in much closer following distances on highways, relative to braking capability, than on railroads. At present, PTC systems, using very conservative braking algorithms, actually reduce system capability because the PTC systems do not allow as close follwing as TCS, or other fixed block systems. As far as I know, no PTC system will offer position information to a central office often enough to be useful were the system to be ported to highway use. Maybe some system contemplated under the Intelligent Transportation Systems program would offer a more practical solution. http://www.its.dot.gov/index.htm
FOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:55 AM.