Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Bus Drivers

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bus Drivers

    Try to avoid bus drivers when you see those bus stop signs on the sidewalk. Today a bus made a sudden turn onto our lane forcing the person in front to brake and the person behind her flew off his bike and fell right under the bus. The bus fortunately made the stop at the bus stop before the bus wheel crushed his head. The bus driver was pretty rude saying he was only doing his job.

  2. #2
    Banned Bikepacker67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ogopogo's shoreline
    My Bikes
    LHT, Kona Smoke
    Posts
    4,063
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiyuuX View Post
    The bus driver was pretty rude saying he was only doing his job.
    You should have gotten his info, and let his boss know that this employee has misinterpreted his job description...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    6,030
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikepacker67 View Post
    You should have gotten his info, and let his boss know that this employee has misinterpreted his job description...
    Agreed.

    I would have called the police and filed a report.

  4. #4
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve View Post
    Agreed.

    I would have called the police and filed a report.
    Absolutely.

  5. #5
    Senior Member hotbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Long Island, New York
    My Bikes
    a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
    Posts
    2,519
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way the Bus Driver sees it, bicyclists are stealing his job.
    Don't you know? People who don't have cars are supposed to ride the County Bus, not ride bicycles.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/11629987@N02/sets/72157639939606343/

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well yeah im like traumatized now xD

  7. #7
    ♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯ -=(8)=-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    40205 'ViLLeBiLLie
    My Bikes
    Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder
    Posts
    7,634
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right hooking and drifting into the lane skills are requirements
    for becoming a bus driver here.

  8. #8
    Just a girl on a bike... SpaceNerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Phoenix/Michigan
    Posts
    162
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I do my best to avoid buses in general. The ones around here aren't very good at using mirrors. Scary.

  9. #9
    Old Fogy
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Murray, Utah
    Posts
    1,224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like the bus drivers in Salt Lake County are typical. They just go where and when they feel like it, let everybody else get out of their way or be run over. Cars, as well as bikes and pedestrians. Rude, arrogant, pushy.

  10. #10
    -=Barry=- The Human Car's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
    Posts
    4,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also let your local bicycle advocacy organization know about this.
    Cycling Advocate
    http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
    . . . o
    . . /L
    =()>()

  11. #11
    Devilmaycare Cycling Fool Allister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Wynnum, Australia
    My Bikes
    1998 Cannondale F700
    Posts
    3,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The police probably will do nothing, but getting it on record makes it worth the effort to report it. Better to report it to the bus company. They generally take a dim view of drivers acting irresponsibly, and hopefully will take some sort of disciplinary action against the driver.

    The best ones are when you get a tradesman or similar with their own phone number painted on the side of the vehicle acting like a nob. Then you can call them directly.
    If we learn from our mistakes, I must be a goddamn genius.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    My Bikes
    '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
    Posts
    4,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The police should have been summoned. You should still file the report, it's a hit and run.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    My Bikes
    '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
    Posts
    4,569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There seems to be a lot of cities with nasty bus drivers. Must be overly tight schedules?

    When I was in college the bus drivers were the safest and most patient of drivers. Always happy to talk to passengers (okay, almost always). And they had an incredible record on accidents.

    It's not impossible to have a bus system that works.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ottawa
    My Bikes
    Stevens Strada 600
    Posts
    155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crhilton View Post
    There seems to be a lot of cities with nasty bus drivers. Must be overly tight schedules?

    When I was in college the bus drivers were the safest and most patient of drivers. Always happy to talk to passengers (okay, almost always). And they had an incredible record on accidents.

    It's not impossible to have a bus system that works.
    Ditto for Ottawa. I'm a bus rider now until the weather improves. As a bike commuter, I have always had excellent interaction with the bus drivers of Ottawa. I've even had occasions where the drivers seemed to be deliberately blocking traffic so I would have time to get into a safe spot. I always make sure to wave thanks when a driver gives me the right of way .

  15. #15
    Al noisebeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    AZ
    My Bikes
    Jamis Sputnik, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
    Posts
    13,881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    City Bus Drivers = Excellent and very cyclist aware
    School Bus Drivers = The Worst and occasionally hostile

  16. #16
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiyuuX View Post
    Try to avoid bus drivers when you see those bus stop signs on the sidewalk. Today a bus made a sudden turn onto our lane forcing the person in front to brake and the person behind her flew off his bike and fell right under the bus. The bus fortunately made the stop at the bus stop before the bus wheel crushed his head. The bus driver was pretty rude saying he was only doing his job.
    When you say the "bus made a sudden turn onto our lane" do you mean

    1. bus was in adjacent traffic lane and suddenly merged into bike lane to get to bus stop
    2. bus was in outside lane (no bike lane) and cyclists were in "road margin" (unmarked bike lane, if you will) near curb when bus suddenly merged into margin to stop at bus stop.
    3. cyclists were in outside regular traffic lane (no bike lane) and bus was in adjacent traffic lane when he suddenly merged into outside lane to stop at bus stop.
    4. other


    Thanks.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A.

  18. #18
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, well, this is then yet another classic example of how the bike lane stripe causes motorists to be less likely to notice cyclists riding there, and how bike lanes encourage bicyclists to pass on the right when it is inadvisable to do so.

    Let me guess. The bus passed you and then began to slow. As it slowed to your speed and below, you guys were catching up and about to start passing on the right when it "suddenly" turned right into the bus stop.
    What did you expect him to do, slow and come to a complete stop staying outside of the bike lane, until you guys passed him on the right in the bike lane, and then pull into the bus stop? If so, you're expecting to be treated like pedestrians.

    As soon as the bus slowed you should have looked back and started moving left behind the bus. As it slowed more you should have looked back and worked to pass it on the left.

    Don't ever let the front wheel of your bike go past the rear bumper of a motor vehicle on your left especially at any place where the vehicle can or might turn right, and super especially if it's a truck or a bus.
    Last edited by Helmet Head; 03-31-08 at 06:09 PM.

  19. #19
    Devilmaycare Cycling Fool Allister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Wynnum, Australia
    My Bikes
    1998 Cannondale F700
    Posts
    3,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head View Post
    Ah, well, this is then yet another classic example of how the bike lane stripe causes motorists to be less likely to notice cyclists riding there, and how bike lanes encourage bicyclists to pass on the right when it is inadvisable to do so.
    Of course. It's the road's fault
    If we learn from our mistakes, I must be a goddamn genius.

  20. #20
    __________ seeker333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
    City Bus Drivers = Excellent and very cyclist aware
    School Bus Drivers = The Worst and occasionally hostile
    That's been my experience as well.

    I once had a school bus pass me in a 25mph residential area. He drove down the wrong side of the road a ways, slowed for a stop sign at the intersection, denying oncoming traffic their ROW to turn in, turned left still on wrong side of road, then immediately made a scheduled stop, his tail end hanging out into the intersection. All this in about 120 feet of road - where we're climbing a hill to a stop sign. Very dangerous for everyone. I passed him later using a different road, then he repassed me again just to make an immediate stop in front of me. Amazing.

    I called the School Admin and gave a restrained complaint. That bus driver gave me the stink eye for six months after that, but drove lawfully thereafter.

    I hate it that my mandatory property taxes are used indirectly to endanger me. And if it ain't the school bus, it's the moms flying in their suvs (buses are usually far from full), or the friggin useless dropout teens cruising the streets at night.

    I think 1 in about every 10 people drive this way - in a rage that overcomes good judgment.

    All these people should be forced to ride a bike in place of their car 2 days a week for a month. Would be far more effective at modifying their behavior than any legal remedy.

  21. #21
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allister View Post
    Of course. It's the road's fault
    No, it's not the road's fault.
    But the particular design (routing cyclists to the right of a buses turning right into a bus stop) is a contributing factor.
    A lot has to happen before these design issues will be resolved, not the least of which is that bicycling advocates have to understand the role these designs play in harming and killing cyclists.

    In the mean time, every reminder to not be enticed to pass on the right by a bike lane stripe may save someone's life.

  22. #22
    Devilmaycare Cycling Fool Allister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Wynnum, Australia
    My Bikes
    1998 Cannondale F700
    Posts
    3,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head View Post
    No, it's not the road's fault.
    But the particular design (routing cyclists to the right of a buses turning right into a bus stop) is a contributing factor.
    A lot has to happen before these design issues will be resolved, not the least of which is that bicycling advocates have to understand the role these designs play in harming and killing cyclists.

    In the mean time, every reminder to not be enticed to pass on the right by a bike lane stripe may save someone's life.
    By all means do that, but it is not the fault of the bike lane. Not even a little bit. It's the fault of the bus driver failing to give way to a cyclist that was perfectly visible. I've had bus drivers try the same thing, several times, on roads with and without bikelanes, and I can guarantee it wasn't because they didn't see me, they're just impatient ******. I've had a thousand times more than that merge perfectly safely across the bikelane.

    Now, once one understands that bus drivers can be this way, and prone to such stupid actions, it pays to be vigilant for them on the approach to bus stops, and avoid their idiocy by any means possible, but bikelanes do not cause drivers to cut off cyclists, they make that decision themselves.

    Stop being such an apologist for sh1tty driving.
    Last edited by Allister; 03-31-08 at 06:03 PM.
    If we learn from our mistakes, I must be a goddamn genius.

  23. #23
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allister View Post
    By all means do that, but it is not the fault of the bike lane. Not even a little bit. It's the fault of the bus driver failing to give way to a cyclist that was perfectly visible. I've had bus drivers try the same thing, several times, on roads with and without bikelanes, and I can guarantee it wasn't because they didn't see me, they're just impatient ******. I've had a thousand times more than that merge perfectly safely across the bikelane.

    Now, once one understands that bus drivers can be this way, and prone to such stupid actions, it pays to be vigilant for them on the approach to bus stops, and avoid their idiocy by any means possible, but bikelanes do not cause drivers to cut off cyclists, they make that decision themselves.

    Stop being such an apologist for sh1tty driving.
    I don't care about fault or blame. I assume most people would rather avoid a crash if they could.

    I care about causes of crashes in order to understand how to avoid them.
    But I'm not absolving anyone of anything. I'm just not interested in fault or blame, and so am not commenting on that.

  24. #24
    Devilmaycare Cycling Fool Allister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Wynnum, Australia
    My Bikes
    1998 Cannondale F700
    Posts
    3,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmet Head View Post
    I care about causes of crashes in order to understand how to avoid them.
    The bikelane did not cause anything, so why bring it up?
    If we learn from our mistakes, I must be a goddamn genius.

  25. #25
    Banned. Helmet Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humans do not behave in vacuums. The environment they are in largely influences how they behave.

    Again, the bike lane stripe is likely to be a significant factor in how and why the bus driver behaved the way he did, and how and why the cyclists behaved the way they did. That's why I bring it up.

    Further, the cyclists are likely to not be aware, even in the crash aftermath, of the role of the bike lane in enticing them to do what they did. If I can bring this to their attention, perhaps they, and maybe others reading this thread, will be less likely to be so enticed next time. Maybe even you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •