Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: ipods?

  1. #1
    bikes are sexy Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sheboygan area, WI
    My Bikes
    [2008 specialized allez tripple], [2006 Specialized hardrock sport], [1998 Robinson Rebel], [1980's vintage schwinn ministing], [2008 specialized epic comp] - [2009 origin8 scout 29er], [2005 KHS DJ200]
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ipods?

    sometimes i listen to mine when im taking a leisurely spin on the sidewalk in town. (some people hate sidewalk riding but when im going like 6 miles per hour theres no harm done) when im on the county roads i like to be able to hear cars so i can give them room to move over.

  2. #2
    POWERCRANK addict markhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Acton, West London, UK
    Posts
    3,783
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    shameless POWERCRANK plug
    Recommended reading for all cyclists - Cyclecraft - Effective Cycling
    Condor Cycles - quite possibly the best bike shop in London
    Don't run red lights, wear a helmet, use hand signals, get some cycle lights(front and rear) and, FFS, don't run red lights!

  3. #3
    Loco Motive Member Steve Hamlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Hey, is that a pinata?"
    "Let's hit it with a stick and find out!"
    "OH NO! It's a hornet's nest!!!"

    (This has -- see link to thread above -- been covered. I use an MP3 player, but turned down low. I ride mostly on paths and off-road... But, hey, don't let that interfere with everyone telling everyone what they should do.)
    Roll away the dew!

  4. #4
    Non-Custom Member zeytoun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    My Bikes
    1975-1980 SR road bike
    Posts
    1,613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as it's not the Eagles, Lebowski...
    I am a mutated sig Virus. Please put me in your sig so that I can continue to replicate and mutate, blah!.

  5. #5
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    sometimes i listen to mine when im taking a leisurely spin on the sidewalk in town. (some people hate sidewalk riding but when im going like 6 miles per hour theres no harm done) when im on the county roads i like to be able to hear cars so i can give them room to move over.
    How does 'you not using an ipod' let YOU "give them room to move over"?

  6. #6
    bikes are sexy Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sheboygan area, WI
    My Bikes
    [2008 specialized allez tripple], [2006 Specialized hardrock sport], [1998 Robinson Rebel], [1980's vintage schwinn ministing], [2008 specialized epic comp] - [2009 origin8 scout 29er], [2005 KHS DJ200]
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    How does 'you not using an ipod' let YOU "give them room to move over"?
    well normally i ride my mountain bike and the combined noise of my tires and my mp3 player makes it hard to hear traffic coming from behind. motorists in my area like those many areas aren't very conscientious of cyclists. so its my philosophy that if they are going to be inconsiderate jerks and not give me room i will get out of their way for my own self preservation.


    and to zeytoun:
    i hate the f****** eagles, man!

    thanks for the advice. i should have searched.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I, personally, think its totally fine to use an ipod as long as you exercise extra caution, and pay more attention visually to the situation around you. I have never found it an impairment when I ride, if I did, I would not listen to tunes along the ride.

    The streets I ride are either crowded enough that I don't have to listen for cars because I can just assume they are back there all the time (I would look over my shoulder ipod or not if I need to move left), or they are so quiet I can basically assume there will not be a car ever. I think I would be less inclined to use the ipod on a country road, or mountain road.

  8. #8
    CRIKEY!!!!!!! Cyclaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,270
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
    sometimes i listen to mine when im taking a leisurely spin on the sidewalk in town. (some people hate sidewalk riding but when im going like 6 miles per hour theres no harm done) when im on the county roads i like to be able to hear cars so i can give them room to move over.
    I just ride against traffic that way I can listen to the ipod and see traffic coming so I know when to bunnyhop back up onto the sidewalk.
    There are 10 types of people in the world - the ones that can count in base 2, the ones that can't count in base 2, and the ones that didn't expect this to be in base 3.

  9. #9
    Senior Member slagjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Down on East End Avenue.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer non-ear plug style headphones so that I can still hear the shouts of mothers' before I run over their toddlers. It is so emarassing to hit a toddler.

    One thing though. I would suggest not whatching your IPOD as you travel on your bike. THe other day I was whatching Marina the blond philologist on my ipod. I was riding down the business district sidewalk, near my house digging her intelegence, when all of a sudden a man flung open the door to the chocolate store! Before I new it I was doored and there was nothing I could say. At least I learned the orign of the word "pedigree".

    http://www.hotforwords.com/2008/04/13/pedigree/

  10. #10
    Metalhead
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Iowa City, IA
    My Bikes
    Surly Steamroller 2008, 70s fuji fixed conversion, 2007 Giant TCR, 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Posts
    110
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No different than someone listening to their radio in their cars...just another distraction and hearing obstruction. I listen to mine all the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by closetbiker
    How many cars would be sold, I wonder, if they advertised just the wrecks?

  11. #11
    CRIKEY!!!!!!! Cyclaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,270
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slagjumper View Post
    I prefer non-ear plug style headphones so that I can still hear the shouts of mothers' before I run over their toddlers. It is so emarassing to hit a toddler.

    One thing though. I would suggest not whatching your IPOD as you travel on your bike. THe other day I was whatching Marina the blond philologist on my ipod. I was riding down the business district sidewalk, near my house digging her intelegence, when all of a sudden a man flung open the door to the chocolate store! Before I new it I was doored and there was nothing I could say. At least I learned the orign of the word "pedigree".

    http://www.hotforwords.com/2008/04/13/pedigree/
    ...you can't just leave us hangin' like that, tell us the origin of the word 'pedigree'
    There are 10 types of people in the world - the ones that can count in base 2, the ones that can't count in base 2, and the ones that didn't expect this to be in base 3.

  12. #12
    Loco Motive Member Steve Hamlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very similar thread. . .

    Happy bicycling music

    "In the City" by the Eagles, maybe, but it's arguably a Joe Walsh song.

    ...and I'd hope Lebowski would listen to "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In)" by Kenny Rogers (!?!) and the First Edition. Glen Campbell on guitar. . !?! Supposed to be Jimi Hendrix favorite song!?!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Dr...ndition_Was_In)
    Roll away the dew!

  13. #13
    Senior Member slagjumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Down on East End Avenue.
    My Bikes
    Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.
    Posts
    1,815
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclaholic View Post
    ...you can't just leave us hangin' like that, tell us the origin of the word 'pedigree'
    Somethin to do with birds' feet.

    Click on the movie in the link, "teacher" explains it much better.

    http://www.hotforwords.com/2008/04/13/pedigree/
    Last edited by slagjumper; 04-15-08 at 12:46 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamlin View Post
    Very similar thread. . .

    Happy bicycling music

    "In the City" by the Eagles, maybe, but it's arguably a Joe Walsh song.

    ...and I'd hope Lebowski would listen to "Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Is In)" by Kenny Rogers (!?!) and the First Edition. Glen Campbell on guitar. . !?! Supposed to be Jimi Hendrix favorite song!?!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Dr...ndition_Was_In)
    Life needs more bowling viking women.

  15. #15
    Loco Motive Member Steve Hamlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maude Lebowski: What do you do for recreation?
    The Dude: Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.

    Yes, the Coen brothers are geniuses. . .I mean, really, a tribute to Busby Berkeley. . .and then Homer's "The Odyssey?"

    I'll show you the life of the mind!!
    Roll away the dew!

  16. #16
    Perineal Pressurized dobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    In Ebritated
    Posts
    6,557
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclaholic View Post
    I just ride against traffic that way I can listen to the ipod and see traffic coming so I know when to bunnyhop back up onto the sidewalk.
    Do you find your helmet comes loose doing all those bunny hops? I just ditched mine.

  17. #17
    bikes are sexy Lebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sheboygan area, WI
    My Bikes
    [2008 specialized allez tripple], [2006 Specialized hardrock sport], [1998 Robinson Rebel], [1980's vintage schwinn ministing], [2008 specialized epic comp] - [2009 origin8 scout 29er], [2005 KHS DJ200]
    Posts
    599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i usually just listen to my Credence on my old school tapedeck.

  18. #18
    CRIKEY!!!!!!! Cyclaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,270
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dobber View Post
    Do you find your helmet comes loose doing all those bunny hops? I just ditched mine.
    Nah man, that's what the full suspension is for.... you should upgrade to an xmart bike like mine, it even comes with fat knobbies!
    There are 10 types of people in the world - the ones that can count in base 2, the ones that can't count in base 2, and the ones that didn't expect this to be in base 3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •