Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Walmart bike rider gpsblake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    South Carolina may allow motorcycles & bicycles to run red lights.

    http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8329953

    COLUMBIA, SC (AP) - South Carolina motorcyclists would be able to run some red lights under a measure heading to the governor's desk.

    The Senate and House agreed Thursday on a bill allowing motorcyclists, moped drivers and bicyclists to go through a stop light after waiting for two minutes if the light doesn't change and the intersection is clear.

  2. #2
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
    ...allowing motorcyclists, moped drivers and bicyclists to go through a stop light after waiting for two minutes if the light doesn't change and the intersection is clear.
    This makes lots of sense, however I don't think I'd have the patience to wait a full two minutes, and normally a car will show up by then, and see a skeleton (me) waiting on a bicycle...

    No worries

  3. #3
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wonder if isn't codified already under 'malfunctioning' traffic signal clauses there.

    sure don't wait two minutes if i think a signal is malfunctioning or won't detect my bike, law or no law-depending on traffic, even in my car!

  4. #4
    What member? road_rascal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Twin Cities MN
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This law has been in effect for some time here in MN.
    South Suburbs Twin Cities MN

  5. #5
    Senior Member StrangeWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA.
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 minutes? What kind of light doesn't cycle for 2 whole minutes after a vehicle arrives?

    Anyway, I figure during low-traffic times, stop lights should be treated like stop signs (green has right of way)... better yet the city get cracking with better algorithms on traffic light programming. I'd guess you could double or even triple the rate of flow looking at how inefficient they are.

  6. #6
    RacingBear UmneyDurak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    8,123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist View Post
    i wonder if isn't codified already under 'malfunctioning' traffic signal clauses there.

    sure don't wait two minutes if i think a signal is malfunctioning or won't detect my bike, law or no law-depending on traffic, even in my car!
    I was thinking the same thing. I haven't encountered light yet that had cycle longer then 2 minutes. If it doesn't turn green after that amount of time chances are it's because detectors are not calibrated properly. In that case it falls under "malfunctioning" light. So it seems the whole proposal is kind of pointless.
    I see hills.... Bring them on!!!
    Stay calm and bring a towel.

  7. #7
    Walmart bike rider gpsblake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few lights (3 out of the 8) in my little town that I know won't change if a bicycle is waiting. And the wait can be much longer than two minutes. I know them all by heart. So what I do on those lights is wait out any traffic crossing, then cross the light.

    The lights work by magnets sensors and my bicycle (and I would guess mopeds and motorcycles) won't trigger them to change the light, thus leaving it red until a car comes along.

  8. #8
    Sumanitu taka owaci LittleBigMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    8,945
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
    There are a few lights (3 out of the 8) in my little town that I know won't change if a bicycle is waiting. And the wait can be much longer than two minutes. I know them all by heart. So what I do on those lights is wait out any traffic crossing, then cross the light.

    The lights work by magnets sensors and my bicycle (and I would guess mopeds and motorcycles) won't trigger them to change the light, thus leaving it red until a car comes along.
    I feel you.

    I wonder if you can't notify your city/county and let them know the light won't change for you. Until then, check your local codes, there may be a clause already in place to allow you to treat unresponsive reds as stop signs.

    Good luck!

    No worries

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Potomac MD, USA
    My Bikes
    Klein Quantum Pro w/ Ultegra, Klein Pulse Comp w/ Marzocchi Z3 & XT/LX
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, all we need are thousands of drunk bikers running red lights and stop signs during Bike Week (which to some degree is every week in Myrtle Beach).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •