Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-28-08, 01:36 PM   #1
c_dinsmore
Seņor Member
Thread Starter
 
c_dinsmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: steel city
Bikes: travelers check, trucker deluxe, double cross dc, caad 10, rum runner, fuji america, karate monkey, tommasini prestige, parkpre tt, assorted beater/loaner bikes
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
illegal to lock to a lightpost

hey, i live in grand rapids, mi. the other day my friend was told it's illegal to lock his bike to a streetlight post. is there any validity to this? thanks much, brothers/sisters.
c_dinsmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 03:06 PM   #2
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Google,what's that?

http://www.ci.grand-rapids.mi.us/dow...ing_Inform.pdf

http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/index.pl?page_id=404
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 07:41 PM   #3
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
And did your Google search result in a answer certain for the OP?
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 08:31 PM   #4
John E
feros ferio
 
John E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
Bikes: 1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
Posts: 16,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
If it is illegal, that is precisely the sort of law which should be repealed to help encourage transportation cycling.
__________________
"Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 10:14 PM   #5
StrangeWill
Senior Member
 
StrangeWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fallbrook, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E View Post
If it is illegal, that is precisely the sort of law which should be repealed to help encourage transportation cycling.
Why should it be? You shouldn't be able to just chain your bike up wherever you want to in the interests of encouraging cycling.
StrangeWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-08, 10:25 PM   #6
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sometime within the last year, I saw a paper attached to a bike chained to a tree outside Whole Foods in Portland's Pearl District. Somebody else saw it too, and wasn't shy about picking it up and reading it-- it was a warning from a private security firm that they would cut the locks of any bikes that aren't locked to bike racks.

The problem is, there aren't enough bike racks to accommodate demand. And to add insult to injury, the neighborhood association has opposed efforts to increase bike parking by removing one curbside parking spot for cars and replacing it with curbside bike parking.

So instead of pursuing the obvious solution-- creating enough bike parking space to meet the demand-- they hire rent-a-cops to go around and cut people's locks.

Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 05:40 AM   #7
keiththesnake
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Lansing. I don't think there's any statute making it illegal. There very well could be a city ordinance making it illegal. Grand Rapids is pretty conservative. Check at the police station or at the office of the city attorney. Good luck.
keiththesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 07:21 AM   #8
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These "you can't park your bike here" laws really need a "you can't enforce this law unless bike parking is provided and available" clause. It amazes me how many place have laws that prohibit bike parking and no laws that require bike parking to be built or policies that install bike parking.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 07:59 AM   #9
sauerwald
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As I read the law, it is not clear - they seem to have a law that makes it illegal to NOT lock your bike and to leave it on the sidewalk, and ordinances which tell you not to lock your bike in a manner in which it would obstruct pedestrian or vehicular traffic, so I can see how depending on the location of the light post, it might not be legal to lock it to the light post.

I have never been to grand rapids, but from reading their bicycle law leaflet, it looks like a place with more laws than bike racks.
sauerwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 11:45 AM   #10
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
And did your Google search result in a answer certain for the OP?
"Sec. 10.137. Parking.
No person shall park a bicycle upon a roadway except against and parallel with the curb. Bicycles may be parked upon a sidewalk in a rack provided for such purposes, or against a building in such a manner as to afford the least obstruction to vehicular or pedestrian traffic. (Ord. No. 75-7, 1-21-75)"

What do you think?

The point I was making was for legal questions,you should check the law. All 50 states have their codes online,as well as a good number of cities. This will give you the correct answer,vs internet opinions.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 11:49 AM   #11
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
Sometime within the last year, I saw a paper attached to a bike chained to a tree outside Whole Foods in Portland's Pearl District. Somebody else saw it too, and wasn't shy about picking it up and reading it-- it was a warning from a private security firm that they would cut the locks of any bikes that aren't locked to bike racks.
In their defence,we have an ordinance in DC against locking to trees under a certain size. This is because if you lock to a small tree,a thief can easily cut it down. So you not only lose the bike,but a tree gets ruined.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 02:56 PM   #12
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
"Sec. 10.137. Parking.
No person shall park a bicycle upon a roadway except against and parallel with the curb. Bicycles may be parked upon a sidewalk in a rack provided for such purposes, or against a building in such a manner as to afford the least obstruction to vehicular or pedestrian traffic. (Ord. No. 75-7, 1-21-75)"

What do you think?

The point I was making was for legal questions,you should check the law. All 50 states have their codes online,as well as a good number of cities. This will give you the correct answer,vs internet opinions.
What do you think - your post and link provide no direct information as to the legality or illegality of locking a bike to a lightpost. So your post was worthless on the subject in this thread. Did you consider that maybe the OP did read Ord. No. 75-7 and since it only said a couple of ways cyclist MAY park on a sidewalk and listed NO Prohibitions except on the roadway (defined in most states as shoulder marking to shoulder marking) that the OP figured he would ask the forum, to gain a broader prospective on the subject.

If your google search provided a definitive answer, then post that, rather than being a wise ass.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 03:05 PM   #13
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
In their defence,we have an ordinance in DC against locking to trees under a certain size. This is because if you lock to a small tree,a thief can easily cut it down. So you not only lose the bike,but a tree gets ruined.
I did not know DC ordinances applied in Portland's Pearl District.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 11:59 AM   #14
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
What do you think - your post and link provide no direct information as to the legality or illegality of locking a bike to a lightpost. So your post was worthless on the subject in this thread. Did you consider that maybe the OP did read Ord. No. 75-7 and since it only said a couple of ways cyclist MAY park on a sidewalk and listed NO Prohibitions except on the roadway (defined in most states as shoulder marking to shoulder marking) that the OP figured he would ask the forum, to gain a broader prospective on the subject.

If your google search provided a definitive answer, then post that, rather than being a wise ass.
I thought the ordinance was pretty clear.

And please note that I did something to answer the OP's question. You've done nothing except hammer on me.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 12:07 PM   #15
dynaryder
PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes
 
dynaryder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: BicycleSPACE warehouse in SW Washington DC
Bikes:
Posts: 6,983
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
I did not know DC ordinances applied in Portland's Pearl District.
Never said they did. Was merely expressing why they may have done it. Maybe they don't want bikes parked to trees because they don't want the trees damaged/cutdown by improper locking or thieves trying to get the bike. Or maybe they don't want bikes parked everywhere interfering with foot traffic or creating clutter.

Srsly,my posts wound you up that much? C'mon.
__________________

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
dynaryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 02:01 PM   #16
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
In their defence,we have an ordinance in DC against locking to trees under a certain size. This is because if you lock to a small tree,a thief can easily cut it down. So you not only lose the bike,but a tree gets ruined.
I don't have anything against an ordinance that establishes some ground rules for locking up to public property (and protecting trees).The only thing I take issue with is official or semi-official responses to a shortsighted lack of bike parking that punish the cyclists and fail to address the real problem-- lack of adequate bike parking. Put in bike parking sufficient to meet the demand, and the problem solves itself.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 02:30 PM   #17
kendall
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Kentwood michigan.
Bikes: too many
Posts: 484
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in kentwood, essentially a part of grand rapids, and they do have some odd laws, but unless the bike was sitting accross the sidewalk, there should be no issues. It's one of those 'laws' that are entirely up to the officers interpretation of it.

Grand Rapids is also a heavily money oriented city, the city rents bike lockers downtown, so it would not be unexpected for them to pass a law restricting 'on street' parking.

Ken.
kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 04:39 PM   #18
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
I thought the ordinance was pretty clear.

And please note that I did something to answer the OP's question. You've done nothing except hammer on me.
It appears, but is not clear that you think it is illegal!

If a cyclist parks his bicycle "upon a roadway", "against and parallel with the curb" and runs his chain through his bike around the lightpost on the sidewalk curb - is that legal or illegal? The cyclist has not violated any portion of the ordnance.

The link you posted does not give a definative answer either way. It is possible that there may be another law that no one has yet found, that makes it very clear. If so, you should google it and post it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaryder
Google,what's that?.
And your the one that gave the OP this snotty little comment!

Last edited by CB HI; 05-30-08 at 04:45 PM.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-08, 05:08 PM   #19
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall View Post
Grand Rapids is also a heavily money oriented city, the city rents bike lockers downtown, so it would not be unexpected for them to pass a law restricting 'on street' parking.
My building has two bike racks in one of the garages (three floors of covered garages, one floor of open air parking.). There's WAY more demand for bike parking than there is rack space available, so the overflow from the bike racks is enormous. I've thought of asking the building manager to put more bike racks in, but the thing that holds me back is bike parking is free now (compared to $125/month for cars), and I understand that they're trying to make money off every space available. If I ask for more bike space, I may get it, but at a price-- no more free bike parking-- so I'm not sure I want to upset that apple cart.

In Grand Rapids, it appears they've put in paid bike parking, and there's a certain logic to that-- parking a car parking costs money, so why shouldn't bike parking? The answer to that question is because for public policy reasons, we want to promote bicycling, but if public policy is not the primary goal, charging for bike parking has a certain logic...
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 02:07 PM   #20
BrownBagginIt
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey, i was the friend who asked this question in the first place, thanks for your helpful suggestions and information. Just to be positive i'm going to ride over to the PD and ask. Here's the situation, the guy who told me to move my bike is the manager/owner of an upper scale clothing store in a very lower scale area (Eastown). I was going to a really grungy 24/7 coffee shop where all sorts of hooligans, anarchists, phreaks, junkies, liberals and radicals hang out at all hours. And the clothing store's demographic is very different from the coffee shop right next door. When i began to lock up my bike in front of his store (parallel to the curb, and not obstructing foot or vehicle traffic) he intimidated me into moving my bike around the block to the bike rack (made for about 4 bikes).

What really gets me is that it's perfectly acceptable for gas-gusslers to park in front of his store, just not cyclists who are trying to be nice to the planet and save some money.
BrownBagginIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 02:19 PM   #21
qmsdc15
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Maryland
Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley
Posts: 5,155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call his bluff. Tell him that you will have him arrested if he steals your bike. He doesn't have a grinder that will break your u-luck. If he does manage to remove your bike, call the police. He doesn't own the sidewalk and he doesn't make the rules.
qmsdc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 03:59 PM   #22
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
I just love shop owners that think they own the sidewalk and road in front of the store.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 09:49 PM   #23
ATAC49er
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: clipped in
Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)
Posts: 447
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
Sometime within the last year, I saw a paper attached to a bike chained to a tree outside Whole Foods in Portland's Pearl District. Somebody else saw it too, and wasn't shy about picking it up and reading it-- it was a warning from a private security firm that they would cut the locks of any bikes that aren't locked to bike racks.

The problem is, there aren't enough bike racks to accommodate demand. And to add insult to injury, the neighborhood association has opposed efforts to increase bike parking by removing one curbside parking spot for cars and replacing it with curbside bike parking.

So instead of pursuing the obvious solution-- creating enough bike parking space to meet the demand-- they hire rent-a-cops to go around and cut people's locks.

I would find the firm, and in no uncertain or even civil terms, DARE them to cut my bike lock; their job is security, they have no legal authority to confiscate or damage property "in the execution of their duties". So unless my bike is a security risk to someone else, they have no call to to do more than look at it.

Baldly said, the rent-a-cop who tries to cut my lock will face getting something else cut....
ATAC49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 11:31 AM   #24
alhedges
Senior Member
 
alhedges's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Naptown
Bikes: NWT 24sp DD; Brompton M6R
Posts: 1,133
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATAC49er View Post
I would find the firm, and in no uncertain or even civil terms, DARE them to cut my bike lock; their job is security, they have no legal authority to confiscate or damage property "in the execution of their duties". So unless my bike is a security risk to someone else, they have no call to to do more than look at it.

Baldly said, the rent-a-cop who tries to cut my lock will face getting something else cut....
This is almost certainly wrong. If you lock a bike on a tree in my yard, I certainly have the right to remove it. Or even to hire someone else to remove it. If you lock a bike to some part of whole food's property where they have prohibited bike parking, they have every right in the world (or at least in the US) to remove it. With the important proviso that they have to have clearly indicated that bike parking in the specific location is prohibited - which would seem to be the case in this situation.
alhedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 01:09 PM   #25
patc
Dubito ergo sum.
 
patc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ottawa, ON, Canada
Bikes: Bessie.
Posts: 1,735
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alhedges View Post
This is almost certainly wrong. If you lock a bike on a tree in my yard, I certainly have the right to remove it. Or even to hire someone else to remove it. If you lock a bike to some part of whole food's property where they have prohibited bike parking, they have every right in the world (or at least in the US) to remove it. With the important proviso that they have to have clearly indicated that bike parking in the specific location is prohibited - which would seem to be the case in this situation.
Local laws vary, but while you may have a right to remove the bike from your personal property, you may not have the right to destroy someone's property (i.e. cut the lock).
patc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.