Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-29-08, 11:52 AM   #1
rebornroadster
Gone bonkers
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In a house with a packed garage
Bikes: trek,schwinn,raleigh,japanese, chinese, kids bikes in carbon,steel,aluminum
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Drunk 18 yo male takes down another 2

Connecticut.Sat morning at 7 AM 2 bikers 39 & 49 years old were hit near an intersection in Granby,Ct. 18 year old kid was caught after leaving scene and charged with dwi.Don't have any other details but both bicyclists are reported to be alive.I'll let you know if there will be a public flogging or hanging of this little punk.
rebornroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 12:10 PM   #2
J.Lockdown
Cat 4
 
J.Lockdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gaithersburg MD
Bikes: Blue RC6AL - Rival Build
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its said to see this type of stuff happen. Two people just trying to get along in their life and then 1 person decides to get drunk and drive to mess everything up.

Another question why was the kid drunk at 7am? I dont know anyone that gets up first thing in the morning and drinks.
J.Lockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 12:18 PM   #3
sauerwald
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Lockdown View Post
Another question why was the kid drunk at 7am? I dont know anyone that gets up first thing in the morning and drinks.
My guess is that he was on his way home after an all night drinking binge - 7am is not early for a teenager, it is late.
sauerwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 12:29 PM   #4
rebornroadster
Gone bonkers
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In a house with a packed garage
Bikes: trek,schwinn,raleigh,japanese, chinese, kids bikes in carbon,steel,aluminum
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah,Beer at 7 am was a once upon a time for me.It's just a sad part of everyday life.There just seems to be a lot less respect and clear thinking nowadays,especially on the roads and highways.I don't know the facts but I hope the bikers are doing OK.I think the kid is out on bail.
rebornroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 12:54 PM   #5
littlewaywelt
Senior Member
 
littlewaywelt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,508
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's an hour I typically feel safest on the roads...drunks are in bed and the bulk of everyone else is in bed.

Hope the riders fair ok.
littlewaywelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 01:00 PM   #6
maddmaxx 
Small Member
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,140
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Michael McDermott of 7 Kearns Drive, Granby, was charged with two counts of second-degree assault with a motor vehicle and operating under the influence, evading responsibility with physical injury and reckless driving. He was released on a $15,000 non-surety bond and is scheduled to appear in Superior Court in Enfield on June 3.

The Police are investigating where he got the alcohol.


__________________
We are an empire. Be sure to use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 01:20 PM   #7
rebornroadster
Gone bonkers
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In a house with a packed garage
Bikes: trek,schwinn,raleigh,japanese, chinese, kids bikes in carbon,steel,aluminum
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah the facts.I just caught a brief summary on channel 30.Thanks
rebornroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 01:51 PM   #8
ruiner
ruins
 
ruiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebornroadster View Post
Yeah,Beer at 7 am was a once upon a time for me.It's just a sad part of everyday life.There just seems to be a lot less respect and clear thinking nowadays,especially on the roads and highways.I don't know the facts but I hope the bikers are doing OK.I think the kid is out on bail.
I found it's all a matter of perspective. There isn't more irresponsibility, that's just the wise part of you growing ever more crotchety.
ruiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 01:54 PM   #9
ckeizer77
Share the Road
 
ckeizer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glendale
Bikes: Torelli Montefalco
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebornroadster View Post
Ah the facts.I just caught a brief summary on channel 30.Thanks
Do you have a link for the coverage?
ckeizer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 02:51 PM   #10
rebornroadster
Gone bonkers
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In a house with a packed garage
Bikes: trek,schwinn,raleigh,japanese, chinese, kids bikes in carbon,steel,aluminum
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiner View Post
I found it's all a matter of perspective. There isn't more irresponsibility, that's just the wise part of you growing ever more crotchety.
Yeah, you're probably right,I may be a bit crotchety.(Just a little.)I see the things these kids do and the things they drive nowadays and I'm not really surprised when they happen.18 years old was almost 30 years ago for me.Since that time look how things have changed.I was a paperboy and delivered 60 or 70 papers on a bike on just about the busiest street in my town-never had a problem.Now we don't even have paperboys.Just maniacs in minivans.Pornography when I was a kid was illegal in most parts of the U.S.Now we get it delivered over the 'net whether we want it or not.Sex with the wrong person these days can infect you with a disease that can kill you.I remember when motorcycles had metal gas tanks and cars didn't always have radios and trucks almost never had them.I had to be in the house when the street lights came on during school nights.Now I hear kids outside at 11 o'clock almost every night.I did see a little hope today as I did notice 2 bikes in the rack at the elementary school.Things are looking up.
rebornroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 03:27 PM   #11
mike
Senior Member
 
mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Snowy midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 5,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
Michael McDermott of 7 Kearns Drive, Granby, was charged with two counts of second-degree assault with a motor vehicle and operating under the influence, evading responsibility with physical injury and reckless driving. He was released on a $15,000 non-surety bond and is scheduled to appear in Superior Court in Enfield on June 3.

The Police are investigating where he got the alcohol.

Looks like Mommy and Daddy bailed him out for $15,000. Chances are, they will pay for a good attorney too.

So, rather than the kid living with the consequences of his actions, he gets bailed out by someone else and someone else cleans up HIS mess at THEIR expense.

What happens next is round two where the kid gets into bigger trouble and hurts more people. The cycle will continue until others stop fixing his messes and he is faced with the full consequences of his actions.

I don't blame parents for the actions of their children unless, like these parents, they have a part in creating the monster.

Last edited by mike; 05-29-08 at 03:30 PM.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 04:35 PM   #12
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,967
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebornroadster View Post
Yeah, you're probably right,I may be a bit crotchety.(Just a little.)I see the things these kids do and the things they drive nowadays and I'm not really surprised when they happen.18 years old was almost 30 years ago for me.Since that time look how things have changed.I was a paperboy and delivered 60 or 70 papers on a bike on just about the busiest street in my town-never had a problem.Now we don't even have paperboys.Just maniacs in minivans.Pornography when I was a kid was illegal in most parts of the U.S.Now we get it delivered over the 'net whether we want it or not.Sex with the wrong person these days can infect you with a disease that can kill you.I remember when motorcycles had metal gas tanks and cars didn't always have radios and trucks almost never had them.I had to be in the house when the street lights came on during school nights.Now I hear kids outside at 11 o'clock almost every night.I did see a little hope today as I did notice 2 bikes in the rack at the elementary school.Things are looking up.
Feel much like you do... but at least one well known cycling advocate says "not much has changed in 30 years."
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 04:42 PM   #13
rebornroadster
Gone bonkers
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: In a house with a packed garage
Bikes: trek,schwinn,raleigh,japanese, chinese, kids bikes in carbon,steel,aluminum
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I blame this kid and his parents and the person who gave him the booze.What if he was 17 or even 16? Then he's not legally an adult.It is then the parents responsibility. Doesn't matter,two more bike riders are hurt and this kid is not.Just remember he's got to live with this and if he has any conscience he'll make restitution and do something with his life.Maybe he will or maybe he won't.I'd like to think so anyway.
rebornroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 06:03 PM   #14
J.Lockdown
Cat 4
 
J.Lockdown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gaithersburg MD
Bikes: Blue RC6AL - Rival Build
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope this kid gets tried as an adult and get some time for doing what he did. This is something he should have to live with and understand. I understand people screw up in life but at the same time driving while drunk is something you are aware of. This kid knew he would need to get home before he even started drinking. So he probably though "Oh I can hold my beer and control myself" and "I will be fine driving home". But I guess the kid found out he was wrong.
J.Lockdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-08, 06:48 PM   #15
maddmaxx 
Small Member
 
maddmaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
Posts: 7,140
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebornroadster View Post
I blame this kid and his parents and the person who gave him the booze.What if he was 17 or even 16? Then he's not legally an adult.It is then the parents responsibility. Doesn't matter,two more bike riders are hurt and this kid is not.Just remember he's got to live with this and if he has any conscience he'll make restitution and do something with his life.Maybe he will or maybe he won't.I'd like to think so anyway.
The average drunk gets to do it again..........and sometimes again. We haven't even begun to hear yet wat a wonderful kid he was and how this was all a tragic "accident".
__________________
We are an empire. Be sure to use it wisely.
maddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:08 AM.