Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-08, 08:34 PM   #1
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
Thread Starter
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ignorant motorists

I was 'taking the lane' on a rural road that was two-lane blacktop with a double yellow line. As I approached a a small hill that had a bend, to the right, the female driver behind me honked, despite the obvious double yellow line. As I came over the small hill, the woman called me an a******. What's next.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 08:39 PM   #2
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Turn the other check and keep on riding.
politicalgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 10:06 PM   #3
crhilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like those better than the ones where they try to inform you of the law. At least the people who call you names are obviously too stupid to be able to express themselves in a cogent way.

The ones who inform you of something just seem so obnoxious to me. There's something inside me that feels I have to respond, but my wit isn't nearly quick enough .
crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 10:48 PM   #4
StrangeWill
Senior Member
 
StrangeWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fallbrook, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Grenade through the window.
StrangeWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-08, 10:50 PM   #5
zonatandem
Senior Member
 
zonatandem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single
Posts: 10,908
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Just wave and pedal on!
zonatandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 01:42 AM   #6
frymaster
Senior Member
 
frymaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: where the mild things roam
Bikes:
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWill View Post
Grenade through the window.
that's a total overreaction!


caltrops.
frymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 06:22 AM   #7
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 24,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
I was 'taking the lane' on a rural road that was two-lane blacktop with a double yellow line. As I approached a a small hill that had a bend, to the right, the female driver behind me honked, despite the obvious double yellow line. As I came over the small hill, the woman called me an a******. What's next.
1. Water to Blood
2. Frogs
3. Gnats
4. Flies
5. Livestock Diseased
6. Boils
7. Thunder and Hail
8. Locusts
9. Darkness
10. Death of the Firstborn

Any other questions?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 06:27 AM   #8
Pig_Chaser
Senior Member
 
Pig_Chaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, AB
Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3
Posts: 1,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Death, Taxes, Ignorant motorists... accept it

As someone already said smile and wave is possibly the best response.
Pig_Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 07:17 AM   #9
Longfemur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,936
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you "take the lane", you better have a good reason to do so. Unless they happen to be cycling enthusiasts, drivers have never heard of this taking the lane concept. Taking the lane is good in theory, but it's only practical in traffic where the cyclist can go almost as fast as the cars can. I'm not sure a rural road would qualify. In some cases, if it's a narrow situation, you're safer to just wait until the traffic passes.
Longfemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 07:25 AM   #10
StephenH
Uber Goober
 
StephenH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dallas area, Texas
Bikes:
Posts: 11,327
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
You know, it's easy to complain about ignorant motorists, but I'm not aware of ANY on-going efforts to change the situation as a whole. Bicycle advocates work at it, but mainly reach cyclists. But I've never ever seen anything relating to safe bike riding or driving cars around bicycles except on bicycle websites or in literature given out at bike rides. They need to start putting bike-related safety info in with the water bills, on the driver's license test, maybe as a test to RENEW a lcense, even; put commercials on TV, whatever. But the message is simply not going out to the vast majority of non-cyclists, and it's no wonder they're ignorant of bicycle laws.
__________________
"be careful this rando stuff is addictive and dan's the 'pusher'."
StephenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 07:33 AM   #11
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central Ohio
Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longfemur View Post
When you "take the lane", you better have a good reason to do so. Unless they happen to be cycling enthusiasts, drivers have never heard of this taking the lane concept. Taking the lane is good in theory, but it's only practical in traffic where the cyclist can go almost as fast as the cars can. I'm not sure a rural road would qualify. In some cases, if it's a narrow situation, you're safer to just wait until the traffic passes.

Funny that the only slow moving vehicles expected to move over are bicycles. You don't see farm equipment pulling over, nor do you see Amish buggies pulling over. I don't disagree that you should have a good reason for taking a lane, but who are we to judge an individual's action when we aren't in the situation ourselves.
politicalgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 08:02 AM   #12
hunyak
Senior Junior Member
 
hunyak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Bikes: Cannondale, Trek
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
You know, it's easy to complain about ignorant motorists, but I'm not aware of ANY on-going efforts to change the situation as a whole. Bicycle advocates work at it, but mainly reach cyclists. But I've never ever seen anything relating to safe bike riding or driving cars around bicycles except on bicycle websites or in literature given out at bike rides. They need to start putting bike-related safety info in with the water bills, on the driver's license test, maybe as a test to RENEW a lcense, even; put commercials on TV, whatever. But the message is simply not going out to the vast majority of non-cyclists, and it's no wonder they're ignorant of bicycle laws.
Stephen,
You are unfortunately correct. We mostly "preach to the choir"...
hunyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 09:23 AM   #13
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,975
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
You know, it's easy to complain about ignorant motorists, but I'm not aware of ANY on-going efforts to change the situation as a whole. Bicycle advocates work at it, but mainly reach cyclists. But I've never ever seen anything relating to safe bike riding or driving cars around bicycles except on bicycle websites or in literature given out at bike rides. They need to start putting bike-related safety info in with the water bills, on the driver's license test, maybe as a test to RENEW a lcense, even; put commercials on TV, whatever. But the message is simply not going out to the vast majority of non-cyclists, and it's no wonder they're ignorant of bicycle laws.
+1000.

I heard a series of commercials the other day on the radio... started with "save the water," "don't drink and drive, " and ended with "safe boating." Not once in my life have I heard, or seen anything that even suggests that cyclists have rights to the road. Even "share the road" signs are misinterpreted as being directed at cyclists...
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 01:19 PM   #14
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
I was 'taking the lane' on a rural road that was two-lane blacktop with a double yellow line. As I approached a a small hill that had a bend, to the right, the female driver behind me honked, despite the obvious double yellow line. As I came over the small hill, the woman called me an a******. What's next.
You're implying that you were in compliance with the traffic laws, and she either doesn't know the traffic laws, or doesn't care what the traffic laws are.

The question is, were you complying with the traffic laws? Or was her assessment accurate?
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 01:52 PM   #15
st0ut
Senior Member
 
st0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: new england
Bikes: Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no thats not in question at all Blue.
st0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 02:03 PM   #16
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ut View Post
no thats not in question at all Blue.
Why not? If the OP was in violation of the law, the motorist was right. If the OP was following the law, the motorist was wrong.

It's the only question there is, actually.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 02:14 PM   #17
st0ut
Senior Member
 
st0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: new england
Bikes: Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
lets assume for the sake of argument your jurisdiction. (and the vast majority of laws are for cycelist to be on the road with some exceptions)

then the augument is did the motorist action result in a threat to the cycelist.. in which i would say yes.

Lets stop calling road rage, road rage and call it by what it really is assault with a vehicle with deadly intent.


When can another vehicle come along side another vehicle on a two lane road with a double yellow? that means the motorist crossed the double yellow. which is driving wrecklessally.
st0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 02:24 PM   #18
Rex G
Senior Member
 
Rex G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bellaire TX USA
Bikes: Bianchi Alloro, Veloce, San Remo, Pista; Rivendell Canti Rom; Zinn custom
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I get some of these IGNERNT reactions from motorists when I am driving in my Jeep, simply because I believe in things like speed limits. For some unfathomable reason, motorists are much less ignernt when I am driving a white Crown Vic with big blue letters on the sides. "Ignernt" is a word down here in Texas, separate from ignorant.
__________________
Have Colt, will travel...

Last edited by Rex G; 06-15-08 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
Rex G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 02:36 PM   #19
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ut View Post
lets assume for the sake of argument your jurisdiction. (and the vast majority of laws are for cycelist to be on the road with some exceptions)

then the augument is did the motorist action result in a threat to the cycelist.. in which i would say yes.

Lets stop calling road rage, road rage and call it by what it really is assault with a vehicle with deadly intent.


You think a horn honk is assault with a vehicle with deadly intent?



Now, I won't say a honk can't be threatening, because it obviously can be, depending on the circumstances. But without something more than a push of the horn, you would get absolutely no traction on your "novel" legal theory, in any jurisdiction you choose.

By the way, last week i was taking the lane because the road conditions on that block made it unsafe not to take the lane. A car came up behind me, followed me for about half a block, then passed me and the driver gave a honk as it passed.

Was that "assault with a vehicle with deadly intent too"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ut View Post
When can another vehicle come along side another vehicle on a two lane road with a double yellow? that means the motorist crossed the double yellow. which is driving wrecklessally.
What exactly does the question of whether the motorist made an unsafe pass (or, for that matter, any of what you wrote above) have to do with my statement, which you take issue with? (Hint: absolutely nothing.).
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 02:52 PM   #20
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post
By the way, last week i was taking the lane because the road conditions on that block made it unsafe not to take the lane. A car came up behind me, followed me for about half a block, then passed me and the driver gave a honk as it passed.

Was that "assault with a vehicle with deadly intent too"?
Oh yeah, after he passed me, he got back in my lane and then flipped me off. Maybe I should have filed a complaint with the police about that bird, too.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 03:59 PM   #21
Tabor
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Surly Pacer with full Ultegra
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every time you take the lane, people get more used to see cyclist taking the lane.
Tabor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 04:10 PM   #22
st0ut
Senior Member
 
st0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: new england
Bikes: Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post


You think a horn honk is assault with a vehicle with deadly intent?



Now, I won't say a honk can't be threatening, because it obviously can be, depending on the circumstances. But without something more than a push of the horn, you would get absolutely no traction on your "novel" legal theory, in any jurisdiction you choose.

By the way, last week i was taking the lane because the road conditions on that block made it unsafe not to take the lane. A car came up behind me, followed me for about half a block, then passed me and the driver gave a honk as it passed.

Was that "assault with a vehicle with deadly intent too"?

What exactly does the question of whether the motorist made an unsafe pass (or, for that matter, any of what you wrote above) have to do with my statement, which you take issue with? (Hint: absolutely nothing.).
You asked if the bicycelist or the mortoist was in violation of the law.

it is apperent that since the motorist crossed the double yellow line she was at fault. When there is NO evidance of the cycelist being in violation of any law. Yet you ask anyway

funny how you ignore certain facts to support your point.
st0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 04:17 PM   #23
st0ut
Senior Member
 
st0ut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: new england
Bikes: Wife Trek 7100, GT lola, specialzed Hotrock, Trek Grommet, dead Trek 5200(KIA rear derailer failed and brok frame), and Trek 720 (Died of neglect when the 5200 became a stable mate)
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I ride with my son on the TAB. if a motorist uses there HORN or in anyway attempts to disturb the navigation of my bike by use of horn or simple physics and causes my son to to fall. I guess that is my fault? There should be no charge against he motorist?

In this case had there been another vehicle on the other side of the hill, would you then seek out the cyclist for 'causing' the accident?
st0ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 04:44 PM   #24
Blue Order
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,282
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ut View Post
You asked if the bicycelist or the mortoist was in violation of the law.

it is apperent that since the motorist crossed the double yellow line she was at fault.
It's apparent? Where did the OP state that the driver crossed the double yellow line? The post could certainly be taken to mean that the motorist crossed the double yellow line. It could also be taken to mean that the motorist passed after the no-pass zone. Either version is supported by the OP, because the OP is ambiguous, and yet you state as a "fact" that the motorist crossed the double yellow line. Interesting. Especially in light of your next comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by st0ut View Post
When there is NO evidance of the cycelist being in violation of any law. Yet you ask anyway

funny how you ignore certain facts to support your point.
Ignore "facts" that you've manufactured in your own mind? Guilty.

As you've said, there's no evidence that the cyclist violated any law. There's also no evidence that the cyclist was in compliance with the law. All we have is an ambiguous description of an encounter between a cyclist and a motorist. The cyclist could be in compliance with the law, or the cyclist could be in violation of the law. From the OP's description, we just don't know. Sure, we can fill in the blanks and make assumptions about what happened, based on our individual prejudices, but those assumptions aren't "facts."

So my questions still stand: Was the cyclist in compliance with the law? If so, the motorist was wrong. Was the cyclist in violation of the law? If so, the motorist was right.
Blue Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-08, 05:37 PM   #25
Feathers
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Order View Post

You think a horn honk is assault with a vehicle with deadly intent?
and if the driver had honked at three other cyclists that same day, it means that you would have survived a close brush with an almost-mass-murderer!
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:45 AM.