Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-08, 11:19 AM   #1
noisebeam
Al
Thread Starter
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
Posts: 14,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
School Zone

There have been numerous thread about the issues of school zones, congestions, unpredictable driver behavior, 'me&mykid&me&mykid&me' attitude, kids everywhere and every which way on foot and bike.

I generally avoid active school zones for these reasons.

Anyway, here are two local news articles about school zone issues:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/122408 - about the chaos at drop off zones.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/122393 - about a school bus sideswiping a parent drop off car when trying to pass using grassy area.

Too bad kids don't use the bus anymore.

Al
noisebeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 11:43 AM   #2
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,772
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
There have been numerous thread about the issues of school zones, congestions, unpredictable driver behavior, 'me&mykid&me&mykid&me' attitude, kids everywhere and every which way on foot and bike.

I generally avoid active school zones for these reasons.

Anyway, here are two local news articles about school zone issues:
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/122408 - about the chaos at drop off zones.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/122393 - about a school bus sideswiping a parent drop off car when trying to pass using grassy area.

Too bad kids don't use the bus anymore.

Al
Or bikes.
genec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 11:57 AM   #3
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the next column I'll write (that will be printed a couple of days before the kids return to school) will be about riding a bike to school with your kids
closetbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 11:59 AM   #4
noisebeam
Al
Thread Starter
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
Posts: 14,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Or bikes.
In the school zones I could ride thru there are a fair number of kids that ride bikes to school and that walk as well. The article mentions that as well.

I don't think the city should do anything to improve traffic & congestion at drop off -only make changes as required for safety for children, but not for convenience. Parents will then realize the bus is a better choice.

Al
noisebeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 11:59 AM   #5
noisebeam
Al
Thread Starter
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
Posts: 14,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
I think the next column I'll write (that will be printed a couple of days before the kids return to school) will be about riding a bike to school with your kids
Excellent
noisebeam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 01:10 PM   #6
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,772
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
In the school zones I could ride thru there are a fair number of kids that ride bikes to school and that walk as well. The article mentions that as well.

I don't think the city should do anything to improve traffic & congestion at drop off -only make changes as required for safety for children, but not for convenience. Parents will then realize the bus is a better choice.

Al
Or that the kids could and should ride a bike...
genec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-08, 01:26 PM   #7
maddyfish
Senior Member
 
maddyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ky. and FL.
Bikes: KHS steel SS
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^^^I'm not sure in the chaos that is described in that article I'd want my kids riding their bikes.

Luckily here we do not have busses, and daily approx 1/2 the kids walk/bike. There is still quite a bit of traffic, but it is fairly calm. We almost never drive to school because from our house it is significantly slower than even walking.
maddyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:36 PM.