Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 75
  1. #1
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I initiated a car accident on the MUP

    MUP

    Somerville to Bedford, on my SS road bike in the dark.

    At the last road crossing before I95 headed to Bedford, is a crossing over rt4.

    The MUP has a crosswalk, and a walk button that work instantly if it hasn't
    been used in 5 minutes. So I roll up real slow to the sidewalk and lean against
    the pole, getting ready to smack the button and get an immediate yellow
    for cross traffic.

    I am stationary and chilling.

    So some cars are coming but it doesn't matter, I smack the button. Instant yellow. NOW... most
    folks would expect if there is a car within 30 feet it will just continue past the yellow, and
    even another car may cruise by. I always wait and let cars buffer out.

    Anyhow, yellow comes on and a car 30 feet away going west about 30 mph LOCKS the brakes and
    skids into the crosswalk and ends halfway onto the paint. And the car behind him smashes his bumper.

    So...driver #1 is a tool for jamming the breaks instantly...he should have rolled through the yellow
    like a normal person. Yellow means it is about to change red, but go through for cripes sake if you
    are right there

    and driver #2 is a tool for following too closely.

    I wait for my green/white crossing, and roll through at 3 mph just shaking my head and
    looking dumbfounded...'cuz I was.

    i dunno if my post has a point but it was really funny that a driver wanted to stop so damn bad
    for me that they broke normal driving rules and locked them up. I'd much rather have them blast
    by like any normal driver. a yellow does not mean stop. it certainly doesn't mean lock them up
    and skid into the sidewalk.
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    85
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D'oh!

    I can't say much about this in particular, but I think there has been an increase rear end collisions at lights in places where there are camera's. If there person thought there was a camera or something, they may have over reacted.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the driver was from another area of the country. I've met people from some cities that told me the police still ticket people for going through a yellow light.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    by the football hall of fame
    Posts
    850
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stinks to be them. I am shocked to hear that there are actually MUP crossings with traffic lights.

  5. #5
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang. That is pretty funny. Thanks for sharing. lol1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

    What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.

  6. #6
    smatte
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central Ma
    My Bikes
    diamondback - sherwood
    Posts
    166
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a witness to an accident why didn't you leave any info?

  7. #7
    L T X B O M P F A N S R apricissimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
    Posts
    2,226
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchiefransom View Post
    Maybe the driver was from another area of the country. I've met people from some cities that told me the police still ticket people for going through a yellow light.
    Yellow means stop if it is safe to do so. Clearly it was not.
    Last edited by apricissimus; 10-15-08 at 10:19 AM.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I recall the officer telling me was, yellow is for clearing the intersection. If your front wheels are over the stop line and the lights turn yellow, you may proceed through the intersection. If your front wheels have not crossed the stop line before the the light turns yellow then you may not proceed through the intersection and that was why he had to fill out the citation.

  9. #9
    L T X B O M P F A N S R apricissimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
    Posts
    2,226
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unkchunk View Post
    From what I recall the officer telling me was, yellow is for clearing the intersection. If your front wheels are over the stop line and the lights turn yellow, you may proceed through the intersection. If your front wheels have not crossed the stop line before the the light turns yellow then you may not proceed through the intersection and that was why he had to fill out the citation.
    That seems pretty extreme to me. Depending on your speed and where the stop line is, it may be pretty hazardous to stop for every yellow. But a lot depends on placement of the stop line which I'm sure varies greatly from place to place.

  10. #10
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srmatte View Post
    As a witness to an accident why didn't you leave any info?
    I am a bike rider, def. not interested in sparing time to witness for some crumpled bumper

    I have better stuff to do, like finish riding

    no one was laying in agony bleeding




    if it was a more messed up accident, loose dog, some other anomaly i'd stick
    around. but it was just a 'tool driver', and just some crinkled bumper, which nowadays
    is 1000 or more to repair. clearly, for whatever reason, the driver in back who
    did the hitting is guilty.

    it is clear cut and inescapable. no witness needed.
    no matter the circumstances, no matter what, if you rear
    end someone, you are guilty of following too close for conditions or not paying attention
    Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 10-15-08 at 10:41 AM.
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  11. #11
    Everyday I Bring You More
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Your front porch
    My Bikes
    Too many
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    I am a bike rider, def. not interested in sparing time to witness for some crumpled bumper

    I have better stuff to do, like finish riding

    no one was laying in agony bleeding




    if it was a more messed up accident, loose dog, some other anomaly i'd stick
    around. but it was just a 'tool driver', and just some crinkled bumper, which nowadays
    is 1000 or more to repair. clearly, for whatever reason, the driver in back who
    did the hitting is guily.

    it is clear cut and inescapable. no witness needed.
    no matter the circumstances, no matter what, if you rear
    end someone, you are guilty of following too close for conditions or not paying attention
    Nice justification of your inaction. Let's hope you don't need a witness someday.

  12. #12
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    24,324
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
    Dang. That is pretty funny. Thanks for sharing. lol1
    Wish I lived there. I would do that every day for laughs.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  13. #13
    L T X B O M P F A N S R apricissimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
    Posts
    2,226
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Paper Boy View Post
    Nice justification of your inaction. Let's hope you don't need a witness someday.
    Jeez Louise, he didn't witness a murder or anything. Not a big deal.

  14. #14
    Yabba-Dabba-Doo! AlmostTrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bedrock, IL
    My Bikes
    1969 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
    Posts
    3,050
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all drivers routinely follow the vehicle in front of them way too closely. It is virtually impossible to rear end someone no matter what they do if you maintain a generous buffer. No one is ever going to get me to rear end them. It doesn't sound like you needed to stick around for this either.
    Have Bike, Will Travel

  15. #15
    One speed: FAST ! fordfasterr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ft. Lauderdale FL
    My Bikes
    Ebay Bikes... =)
    Posts
    3,375
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    silly cagers.
    Florida Velodrome Association.
    Big Wheel Cycles.
    CAT-2. Road Bike: 2011 Specialized Allez SRAM Apex. .. and yes, I am vegan.

  16. #16
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Paper Boy View Post
    Nice justification of your inaction. Let's hope you don't need a witness someday.
    inaction ? I pressed the damn button.
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  17. #17
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
    Wish I lived there. I would do that every day for laughs.
    about 2 miles down the path is a second light I get to trigger, the road to the Air Force Base. people
    on that strip usually drive a lot better though.
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,902
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Paper Boy View Post
    Nice justification of your inaction. Let's hope you don't need a witness someday.
    Hey get with the program.
    Nowadays people Do Not interact with other people; those driver's may be crazed or dangerous psychos!
    Or the cop might flip out and pull crazy **** when he sticks around to talk!

    When you see something happen, it's best to get out of there fast and stay uninvolved.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    428
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unkchunk View Post
    From what I recall the officer telling me was, yellow is for clearing the intersection. If your front wheels are over the stop line and the lights turn yellow, you may proceed through the intersection. If your front wheels have not crossed the stop line before the the light turns yellow then you may not proceed through the intersection and that was why he had to fill out the citation.
    That doesn't make sense. If the light turns yellow and you're five feet before the intersection then there's no way you'll be able to stop before entering the intersection (assuming 25 mph in a normal car). As long as the car clears the intersection before the light turns red then there's no problem. That's why yellow lights are on longer for intersections with faster traffic.

  20. #20
    50000 Guatts of power 127.0.0.1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xenologer View Post
    Hey get with the program.
    Nowadays people Do Not interact with other people; those driver's may be crazed or dangerous psychos!
    Or the cop might flip out and pull crazy **** when he sticks around to talk!

    When you see something happen, it's best to get out of there fast and stay uninvolved.
    Lexington Bike Cops would:

    1) laugh in my face about waiting around as a witness for a rear-end collision fender bender

    2) high five me for triggering this because jerk drivers are always going fast here anyway

    in Mass. the only ones who care are the insurance companies. it's a crinkled fender. who the
    hell is going to stick around for that except an attention wh*re ????? I quit staring at fires and
    listening to fire and police sirens back when I was 12. I just move aside.
    I like fat bikes
    and I cannot lie.

  21. #21
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sioux City, Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vision R40 Recumbent
    Posts
    825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    MUP

    Somerville to Bedford, on my SS road bike in the dark.

    At the last road crossing before I95 headed to Bedford, is a crossing over rt4.

    The MUP has a crosswalk, and a walk button that work instantly if it hasn't
    been used in 5 minutes. So I roll up real slow to the sidewalk and lean against
    the pole, getting ready to smack the button and get an immediate yellow
    for cross traffic.

    I am stationary and chilling.

    So some cars are coming but it doesn't matter, I smack the button. Instant yellow. NOW... most
    folks would expect if there is a car within 30 feet it will just continue past the yellow, and
    even another car may cruise by. I always wait and let cars buffer out.

    Anyhow, yellow comes on and a car 30 feet away going west about 30 mph LOCKS the brakes and
    skids into the crosswalk and ends halfway onto the paint. And the car behind him smashes his bumper.

    So...driver #1 is a tool for jamming the breaks instantly...he should have rolled through the yellow
    like a normal person. Yellow means it is about to change red, but go through for cripes sake if you
    are right there

    and driver #2 is a tool for following too closely.

    I wait for my green/white crossing, and roll through at 3 mph just shaking my head and
    looking dumbfounded...'cuz I was.

    i dunno if my post has a point but it was really funny that a driver wanted to stop so damn bad
    for me that they broke normal driving rules and locked them up. I'd much rather have them blast
    by like any normal driver. a yellow does not mean stop. it certainly doesn't mean lock them up
    and skid into the sidewalk.

    Despite the both drivers stupidity why didn't you call 911 and check to see if anyone needed help? Someone could have been injured. Also I thought if you witness an accident you are supposed to stick around to help with the police report. Most people would also render aid to anyone injured. Someone could have had an injury that was not bleeding. Also can't witnesses who do not stick around be cited for leaving the scene, regardless of how major or minor it is? What if the guilty party challenges the citation, if there was one given, and it goes to court. They will need all witnesses for this purpose. You were a witness who left the scene. Again this is regardless of how severe the accident is.

    I hate to say it but some may think if you are ever in an accident and injured and require medical aid and there is a witness to it who left the scene when he or she could have and should stayed around to help you, but did not would be sort of a return or pay back for what you did. Put yourself in that situation.

    The fact is you did not know how bad if anyone was hurt or if anyone was even hurt at all. Sure it looked like a fender bender and only minor damage to the cars. But that' doesn't mean no one was hurt.

    Also you admitting that you caused an accident and then took off after on an internet forum is probably not to smart of a move on your part. You basically admitted to a crime. You may as well just wait for the police to come knocking on your door at this point.
    Last edited by Square & Compas; 10-15-08 at 12:38 PM.

  22. #22
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,544
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to get a helmet camera for next time !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  23. #23
    L T X B O M P F A N S R apricissimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
    Posts
    2,226
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square & Compas View Post
    Despite the both drivers stupidity why didn't you call 911 and check to see if anyone needed help? Someone could have been injured. Also I thought if you witness an accident you are supposed to stick around to help with the police report. Most people would also render aid to anyone injured.
    Yes, he should have called 911 so they could sort out all the dead bodies, and who knows, maybe coax some of the critically injured back to life.

    I got the impression from this thread that this was a minor fender bender.

    A&S clairvoyants come out to correct the evaluation of the situation by the OP, who was actually there when it happened.
    Last edited by apricissimus; 10-15-08 at 12:48 PM.

  24. #24
    L T X B O M P F A N S R apricissimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Melrose, MA
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
    Posts
    2,226
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square & Compas View Post
    Also you admitting that you caused an accident and then took off after on an internet forum is probably not to smart of a move on your part. You basically admitted to a crime. You may as well just wait for the police to come knocking on your door at this point.
    The OP hit the traffic signal button. The light changed from green to yellow, then to red. The OP then moved across the street. In what sense did he cause an accident?

  25. #25
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    18,945
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
    A&S clairvoyants come out to correct the evaluation of the situation by the OP, who was actually there when it happened.

    Quote Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
    The OP hit the traffic signal button. The light changed from green to yellow, then to red. The OP then moved across the street. In what sense did he cause an accident?
    In the sense that the A&S clairvoyant in question is also a Drama Queen. Call 911 for an obviously minor fender bender? Good Grief!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •