Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-08, 07:59 PM   #1
arexjay
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike vs. Car Facts and Statistics

I'm writing a paper on the benefits of bike riding vs. car driving. I was hoping you guys could direct me to some facts and/or websites outlining some facts and statistics regarding this issue. Thanks!
arexjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 08:13 PM   #2
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
So... you're asking us to do research for you on a school project? That sounds like about one step short of plagiarism. Imagine a time when you couldn't just sit down at a computer and have others do your work for you.

Now live it.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 08:23 PM   #3
MrCjolsen
Senior Member
 
MrCjolsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Davis CA
Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, '85 Giant road bike (unrecogizable fixed-gear conversion
Posts: 3,957
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We don't do facts and statistics. But we can give you lots of anecdotes.
MrCjolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 08:52 PM   #4
xiamsammyx
Harbinger
 
xiamsammyx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: IRO Jamie Roy, Old Araya fixed conversion.
Posts: 564
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I dont think he was asking you to write his paper for him. I am doing an almost identical paper and it calls for research to support your arguments, which essentially is plagerism. It is under the guise of support though so as long as its cited it makes it ok.
What he is doing is being lazy and not just searching for it himself.
xiamsammyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 09:25 PM   #5
arexjay
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't mean to be a dick, but if you read carefully, I asked you to direct me to facts and/or websites. I didn't ask any of you for specific facts, and I'm not asking anybody to write my paper for me. I'm looking for a bike advocacy website or something of the like, somewhere I can find such facts. I've been looking around and have already found a couple online and human resources, I was just hoping that someone had some cool websites off the top of their head, and hopefully I hadn't run across them yet. Yeesh.
arexjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 09:43 PM   #6
Marrock
Senior Member
 
Marrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
So... you're asking us to do research for you on a school project? That sounds like about one step short of plagiarism. Imagine a time when you couldn't just sit down at a computer and have others do your work for you.

Now live it.
"If you steal from one you are plagiarizing, If you steal from ten you are doing research, If you steal from one hundred you are an expert." --Delaney
Marrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 09:51 PM   #7
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arexjay View Post
I don't mean to be a dick, but if you read carefully, I asked you to direct me to facts and/or websites.
Meh. So websites are valid research sources now, huh?
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 10:13 PM   #8
Marrock
Senior Member
 
Marrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Meh. So websites are valid research sources now, huh?
You mean wikipedia isn't accurate?
Marrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 10:32 PM   #9
Allister
Devilmaycare Cycling Fool
 
Allister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wynnum, Australia
Bikes: 1998 Cannondale F700
Posts: 3,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Meh. So websites are valid research sources now, huh?
They're as good as any, if you choose carefully. Not believing everything you read is an adage that predates the internet.
Allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-08, 11:03 PM   #10
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Meh. So websites are valid research sources now, huh?
Depends on the instructor, and it depends on the site. Some might allow government sites as a reasonable citation source.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 07:53 AM   #11
resipsa
The Thing Itself
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Bikes:
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Meh. So websites are valid research sources now, huh?
I agree with your point, but only so far. Those sites that actually cite their sources are great for allowing people to quickly find the primary sources upon which they should be relying. Also, there are some sites which are good primary sources unto themselves, though they are pretty much limited to governmental bodies and universities.
resipsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 08:29 AM   #12
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul
 
40 Cent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Meh. So websites are valid research sources now, huh?
So "meh" is a catchall interjection now, huh?
40 Cent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 09:26 AM   #13
gmacdermid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Norco Monterey, Devinci Destination
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a depressing thread!
gmacdermid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 09:57 AM   #14
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,692
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Bike facts are hard to find, as there just is not much study done about cyclists. Transportation facts are available at the NHTSA... google it.

Some limited bike facts are available through http://www.bta4bikes.org/ (check cyclist resources)

Check this site for some older info... http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/ links from that page to others might help you.

Good luck.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 10:18 AM   #15
The Human Car
-=Barry=-
 
The Human Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Baltimore, MD +/- ~100 miles
Bikes:
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It seems to me there were more facts being published last year during the $3 a gallon spike then this year. What stands out in my mind was Bicycle Magazine's Bike Town summary last year where things like weight loss and depression were surveyed pre bike riding and post bike riding.

Anyway I try and collect articles and resource links on Baltimore Spokes, here is a resent link:
http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...81015154338976 search the site and you might be able to find more.
__________________
Cycling Advocate
http://BaltimoreSpokes.org
. . . o
. . /L
=()>()
The Human Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 11:22 AM   #16
gmacdermid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Bikes: Norco Monterey, Devinci Destination
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kudos to genec and the Human Car for their helpful posts.
gmacdermid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 11:53 AM   #17
BBnet3000
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 2.0, Dahon Speed D7
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCjolsen View Post
We don't do facts and statistics. But we can give you lots of anecdotes.
lolol so true
BBnet3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 11:59 AM   #18
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist
 
invisiblehand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
Posts: 5,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Roburt Hurst maintains a helpful site as well ...

http://www.industrializedcyclist.com/lies.html

John Allen has some stuff too ...

http://www.bikexprt.com/research/index.htm
__________________
A narrative on bicycle driving.
invisiblehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-08, 04:11 PM   #19
StrangeWill
Senior Member
 
StrangeWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fallbrook, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Put this in your essay:
"So like, if you ride a car, you're a danger to everyone else, and most likely a lunatic trying to kill cyclists"
StrangeWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 12:40 PM   #20
ukmtk
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Bikes: Raleigh MTRAX, Ribble Road
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Research

I have used many papers from this site to write my own papers.

Monash University Accident Research Centre (MUARC)
ukmtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-08, 09:47 PM   #21
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!
 
Cyclaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Bikes: several
Posts: 4,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
a hard fact is good to find
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world - the ones that can count in base 2, the ones that can't count in base 2, and the ones that didn't expect this to be in base 3.
Cyclaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 08:27 PM   #22
djnzlab1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Facts ARe..

HI,
Most car owners hate seeing a bike rider on the road it means they need to slow down and allow a little space for the rider, some people are so mad they may almost brush the bike rider to teach them a lesson.
The facts are if a car hits a bike most likely the bike ridder is going to fall and have serious injuries.
I ve seen a car lightly brush a pedal on a bike tossing the rider into the air and breaking his back the driver of the car didn't even feel the hit and was notified by the police of the injury and leaving the scene.
So its a pretty scary thing when cars and bikes mix...
Doug
djnzlab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 08:40 PM   #23
StrangeWill
Senior Member
 
StrangeWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fallbrook, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrock View Post
You mean wikipedia isn't accurate?
Wikipedia is software, not a book, learn to use it.
StrangeWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 10:00 PM   #24
Marrock
Senior Member
 
Marrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 1,921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWill View Post
Wikipedia is software, not a book, learn to use it.
No thanks, I'd rather use reliable sources.
Marrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 10:10 PM   #25
StrangeWill
Senior Member
 
StrangeWill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fallbrook, CA.
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrock View Post
No thanks, I'd rather use reliable sources.
There was this awesome concept called "sources cited", yeah, wikipedia has them, instant link to reliable sources.
StrangeWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 PM.