Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,527
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    How many times have you heard that cyclists just don't obey stop signs?


  2. #2
    8speed DinoSORAs Ed Holland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Oxford, UK or Mountain View, Ca
    Posts
    2,748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty bad behaviour...

    However (and I'm all for observing traffic regulations, and practice what I preach) I detest the stop sign. It is extremely rare in Britain, where I grew up and learned about road use, so the notion of being required to stop in full, rather than yield as necessary seems absurd - although there it is, right at the bottom of my street.

    In certain residential situations, I can accept how the stop sign acts to mediate traffic behaviour. The problem is one has invented a regulation that is hard to enforce.

    Must go and make the dinner.

    Ed
    Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live.

  3. #3
    Senior Member SweetLou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But this video is not complete. I can't see the intersection. There might have been a cop directing traffic and waving the cars through.
    I've seen both cars and bikes run stop signs. I hate when people try to explain their behavior because of the behavior of others. The, "Well, cars speed all the time, so I run red lights." is not a good argument. I do find car drivers to be hypocritical when they complain about cyclists disobeying the law when I do see more cars breaking the law then I do bikes. But that is probably because I see a lot more cars than bikes everyday.

  4. #4
    Senior Member StrangeWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA.
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It's okay, this group of cars do it too!"

    Yeah, okay, whatever.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    College Park, MD
    Posts
    535
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should take some video of the stop sign directly outside my house. cars just blow right through it like it isn't even there, without braking or anything. some people even hit the gas while going through it.

    this is a residential neighborhood that has lots of children playing outside.

  6. #6
    Senior Member StrangeWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA.
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by o-dog View Post
    I should take some video of the stop sign directly outside my house. cars just blow right through it like it isn't even there, without braking or anything. some people even hit the gas while going through it.

    this is a residential neighborhood that has lots of children playing outside.
    Or pick up the phone...

  7. #7
    Older "newbie"
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hudson Valley of NY
    My Bikes
    Fuji Newest 4.0 just bought 7/26/08!
    Posts
    157
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same thing here in my village. I see people EVERY DAY blow through the stop signs. And there are lots of kids and pre-teens around playing too.

    Guess they figure no major road="I can blow through this sign".
    2008 Giant Sedona

    You can't always write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say, so sometimes you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream.
    -Frank Zappa

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those that say that cyclists always run stop signs are simply bigotted hippocrates, they have an irrational hatred of cyclists and logic will certainly not convince them.

    Cars are by far the biggest bargers of stop signs, because they outnumber cyclists, and also because the vast majority of cars think that "slowing down" for a stop is fine for them, but will go into conniptions when a cyclist does the same thing.
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  9. #9
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer
    Posts
    5,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure drivers are hypocrites. Cyclists are hypocrites too. I think by nature, many people hold others to higher standards than themselves. Since drivers and cyclists are people ...

    Nevertheless, I like the video. Stuff like that is helpful. Although such blatant behavior is atypical around here.

  10. #10
    Calamari to go cc_rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    My Bikes
    Trek 750
    Posts
    3,103
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the 15 miles I've driven this morning I've seen two cars run stops signs, eight cars not come to a complete stop at a sign, one car run a red light, four cars not stop before a right turn on red, many failures to signal a lane change or a turn, and too many speeders and tailgaters to count.

    Are all drivers scum???

  11. #11
    Former Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dropmachine.com
    Posts
    4,061
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, if there was no opposing traffic present.... those rolling stops are average or better by Toronto standards.

    This is more typical of the "respect" that stopping at a stop sign gets you here.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    My Bikes
    '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    But this video is not complete. I can't see the intersection. There might have been a cop directing traffic and waving the cars through.
    I've seen both cars and bikes run stop signs. I hate when people try to explain their behavior because of the behavior of others. The, "Well, cars speed all the time, so I run red lights." is not a good argument. I do find car drivers to be hypocritical when they complain about cyclists disobeying the law when I do see more cars breaking the law then I do bikes. But that is probably because I see a lot more cars than bikes everyday.
    Yea, you sort of have to believe the author. It's a bit better than the evidence presented against cyclists. It usually goes like this: "Cyclists never stop at stop signs, I'll like eat my own shorts if I see one stop, really stop, at a stop sign or stop light when they don't have to."

  13. #13
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,629
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cc_rider View Post
    In the 15 miles I've driven this morning I've seen two cars run stops signs, eight cars not come to a complete stop at a sign, one car run a red light, four cars not stop before a right turn on red, many failures to signal a lane change or a turn, and too many speeders and tailgaters to count.

    Are all drivers scum???
    No,you're in the DC metro area.

    And if you were to tell any of them that what they were doing was illegal,they would've threatened to run you over.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes/Novato,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  14. #14
    ROM 6:23 flipped4bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Coastal Maine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    Sure drivers are hypocrites. Cyclists are hypocrites too. I think by nature, many people hold others to higher standards than themselves. Since drivers and cyclists are people ...

    Nevertheless, I like the video. Stuff like that is helpful. Although such blatant behavior is atypical around here.
    +1. All I have to do is watch a stop light outside of my work. I see so many cyclists blow the red, even when it's been that way for 30 seconds, it's embarassing. But I also see drivers blow the red a few seconds after it's turned from yellow. Bad left turns, the I-totally-paused-right-on-reds, using the center lane as their own personal travel lane. And pedestrians, totally jaywalking, ignoring flow of traffic, I'm entitled to crossing the sidewalk against the light.
    Every time we let a vehicle pass there is a little bit of compromise. But compromise allows the city to function and allows cyclists to function in the city. The trick is not to eliminate compromise but to learn how to work safely within it.

    --Robert Hurst

  15. #15
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,527
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flipped4bikes View Post
    +1. All I have to do is watch a stop light outside of my work. I see so many cyclists blow the red, even when it's been that way for 30 seconds, it's embarassing. But I also see drivers blow the red a few seconds after it's turned from yellow. Bad left turns, the I-totally-paused-right-on-reds, using the center lane as their own personal travel lane. And pedestrians, totally jaywalking, ignoring flow of traffic, I'm entitled to crossing the sidewalk against the light.
    Sure, all this happens and it is the reality of human nature... BUT... only motorists hold it against cyclists... dangle it in front of us as "you are so bad..."

    Of course obviously we give it right back. (as in this thread).

    But the basis for so much of the lack of acceptance (even rage) comes down to a perceived ownership of the road by motorists based on their belief that they pay "road taxes" and always obey the laws. Neither of which is true.

    So to motorists... stop flying that red flag... and share the road.

    Bottom line, next time you get that same old tired argument... just remember, it's all BS.

  16. #16
    ROM 6:23 flipped4bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Coastal Maine
    My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
    Posts
    1,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No argument from me, genec. As long as motorists are safely behind their steel cage and we have nothing to protect us except common sense and a bunch of blinkies and bright clothing, we're always going to be more vulnerable.
    Every time we let a vehicle pass there is a little bit of compromise. But compromise allows the city to function and allows cyclists to function in the city. The trick is not to eliminate compromise but to learn how to work safely within it.

    --Robert Hurst

  17. #17
    Crushing souls Hickeydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
    My Bikes
    Trek 1500
    Posts
    1,591
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It helps if you avoid talking to any non-cyclist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

    What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.

  18. #18
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,527
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
    It helps if you avoid talking to any non-cyclist.
    They talk to me. Somehow they feel they understand better how I should ride my bike.

  19. #19
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer
    Posts
    5,160
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    No,you're in the DC metro area.

    And if you were to tell any of them that what they were doing was illegal,they would've threatened to run you over.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •