Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-08, 06:45 PM   #1
UberIM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern New England
Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maine DOT-WTF?!?!?

Actually, it isn't as serious as the title implies.

Just don't know what to do.

On my daily commute, which is on a state highway -rt 2, there is a stretch where the trees/shrubs/vegetation have grown into the bike lane which forces me to ride on the left of the white line and in the car lane. This is in both directions and the same stretch of road.

I contacted the Maine DOT (since it is on a state highway) electronically and by phone. I also sent a note to the local newspaper about it.

Nothing has been done. It is a good three months since I complained.

The good news is that stretch of the road has a speed limit of 35 mph.

Maine is struggling financially but I worry now that darkness prevails during my commute and soon snow will be upon us.......

What do you clever, activists suggest?

Thanks in advance
UberIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 06:48 PM   #2
pennypue
n00b
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Southwest Ohio
Bikes: Two
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hedge clippers.
pennypue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 08:10 PM   #3
ghettocruiser
Former Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: dropmachine.com
Bikes:
Posts: 4,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is a "car lane"?

Never seen one.
ghettocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 08:20 PM   #4
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill
 
RacerOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Brazil, IN
Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett
Posts: 3,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take the lane.
RacerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-08, 08:33 PM   #5
AndrewP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid
Posts: 6,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When it is dark ride with lights on your bike, and take the lane. I have cut low hanging branches with the saw blade on my Swiss Army knife.
AndrewP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 01:15 AM   #6
UberIM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern New England
Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
When it is dark ride with lights on your bike, and take the lane. I have cut low hanging branches with the saw blade on my Swiss Army knife.
You folks are great. I was afraid I would have to do my own "landscape architecture." Just too lazy to stop and do this on my bike but I will...............
UberIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 05:57 AM   #7
JeffB502
Arrogant Safety Nanny
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Santa Maria, CA
Bikes: 2007 Trek 7.2 FX, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Either that or set up some cones/flares and hope they take care of it lol
JeffB502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 06:40 AM   #8
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,956
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Fire.






OK, just kidding. Take the lane.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 06:49 AM   #9
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,354
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1403 Post(s)
Call down to your town DOT and ask them who maintains the road. It might be them, rather than the state.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 07:30 AM   #10
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Fire.






OK, just kidding. Take the lane.
I've been thinking of relocating to California one day, the the thought of frequent wildfires scares me.
apricissimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 07:58 AM   #11
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,956
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
I've been thinking of relocating to California one day, the the thought of frequent wildfires scares me.
In reality they are quite seasonal, you tend to get notified as the danger to you increases, you plan for what might happen, and you live with it. The more isolated your house, the greater the chance for fire damage. Deep in the cities this is pretty rare.

Wild fires are similar to any other weather phenomena... storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.

Now what should scare you are the earthquakes... they come without notice.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 08:08 AM   #12
Hickeydog
Crushing souls
 
Hickeydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sagamore Hills, Ohio.
Bikes: Trek 1500
Posts: 1,591
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take a chainsaw and clippers and fix it yourself. And then send a bill to the DOT.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post

What's frightening is how coherent Hickey was in posting that.
Hickeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 08:30 AM   #13
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
In reality they are quite seasonal, you tend to get notified as the danger to you increases, you plan for what might happen, and you live with it. The more isolated your house, the greater the chance for fire damage. Deep in the cities this is pretty rare.

Wild fires are similar to any other weather phenomena... storms, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.

Now what should scare you are the earthquakes... they come without notice.
Didn't the San Diego metro area get hit pretty bad by fire a few years back? I understand that's probably a rare occurrence, but still... Scary!
apricissimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 09:33 AM   #14
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
Posts: 2,921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberIM View Post
Actually, it isn't as serious as the title implies.

Just don't know what to do.

On my daily commute, which is on a state highway -rt 2, there is a stretch where the trees/shrubs/vegetation have grown into the bike lane which forces me to ride on the left of the white line and in the car lane. This is in both directions and the same stretch of road...

....
What do you clever, activists suggest?

Thanks in advance
Pruning shears and Lopping shears. I carry pruning shears in my handlebar-basket. I have cleared about a mile of roadside vegetation. Sometimes I bring out the Lopping Shears, for branches bigger than 3/4 inch, up to two inches diameter.

Wear a reflective vest while trimming roadside vegetation.

Cut back as far as six feet from the white line (fog line).

Wear gloves while trimming, to avoid getting blisters on your hands/fingers.

So I suggest Do-It-Yourself (DIY) technique.

Note: I have also used a saw, but I find Lopping Shears work much quicker. I am thinking about using hedge-trimmer shears, I haven't used regular hedge trimmers lately.
hotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 10:49 AM   #15
flipped4bikes
ROM 6:23
 
flipped4bikes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coastal Maine
Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Lemond Tourmalet, Bridgestone MB-5
Posts: 1,713
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you use the Spot ME request page? I got great results. Can't remember the DOT guys name, but gave me a call, and we went out in his state vehicle and looked over the things I was concerned about. Some things got repaired (broken pavement on the Veranda St. shoulder) and others not (more Share the Road signage at the Falmouth Extension ramps on Route 1.

And there's nothing wrong with using hedge clippers, as suggested.
flipped4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 10:54 AM   #16
127.0.0.1
50000 Guatts of power
 
127.0.0.1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 1,001
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
where exactly is this on Rt 2 ?
so i can yell at you


HTFU...you know Baldacci and his team of crooks continues to run Maine into the ground.

get a bright taillight and take the lane.

you hear a logging truck, you get the hell off the road.
don't even try to take a lane when a logging truck is coming. ever. your rights do not apply
it is a matter of living or getting ground into hamburger

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 10-30-08 at 11:39 AM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 12:09 PM   #17
UberIM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern New England
Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes View Post
Did you use the Spot ME request page? I got great results. Can't remember the DOT guys name, but gave me a call, and we went out in his state vehicle and looked over the things I was concerned about. Some things got repaired (broken pavement on the Veranda St. shoulder) and others not (more Share the Road signage at the Falmouth Extension ramps on Route 1.

And there's nothing wrong with using hedge clippers, as suggested.
Yes, it is a state road and thus the local town is not responsible for it.
Yes, I did use SPot ME........
didn't help.........

I will try again, thanks
Even sent a note to the Bangor Daily News
UberIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 12:11 PM   #18
UberIM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern New England
Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
where exactly is this on Rt 2 ?
so i can yell at you


HTFU...you know Baldacci and his team of crooks continues to run Maine into the ground.

get a bright taillight and take the lane.

you hear a logging truck, you get the hell off the road.
don't even try to take a lane when a logging truck is coming. ever. your rights do not apply
it is a matter of living or getting ground into hamburger
First, what does "HTFU" mean?
Second, it is the stretch in Veazie between Chase road and Veazie Vet.
Do you live in the area?
UberIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 12:28 PM   #19
UberIM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Northern New England
Bikes: recumbent, mtn bike, road bike
Posts: 385
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipped4bikes View Post
Did you use the Spot ME request page? I got great results. Can't remember the DOT guys name, but gave me a call, and we went out in his state vehicle and looked over the things I was concerned about. Some things got repaired (broken pavement on the Veranda St. shoulder) and others not (more Share the Road signage at the Falmouth Extension ramps on Route 1.

And there's nothing wrong with using hedge clippers, as suggested.
I even called the Maine DOT and even called BIKEMAINE to no avail.

I am concerned about clipping some of the hedges as they are on private property. Prefer to have the aegis of the state govt before doing this.

Yes, Baldacci is a terrible governor.........
UberIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 12:34 PM   #20
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
Posts: 2,921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Is this it?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...27852&t=h&z=16
hotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 12:35 PM   #21
hotbike
Senior Member
 
hotbike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike
Posts: 2,921
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...27852&t=h&z=16
hotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 12:37 PM   #22
oakback
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talk to the property owner, or leave them a note. Very kindly let them know that the state has done nothing despite your repeated attempts, and that you offer to do it if they don't mind. "If you'd like me to do it, leave some pruning shears on your front porch in the morning."
oakback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 12:54 PM   #23
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,956
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by apricissimus View Post
Didn't the San Diego metro area get hit pretty bad by fire a few years back? I understand that's probably a rare occurrence, but still... Scary!
You can read about it here... http://map.sdsu.edu/ and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor...f_October_2007 and here http://www.kpbs.org/news/fires

My office closed for 3 days due to that fire, which came within miles of the office and near by freeways. The year before, we packed up and were ready to leave our house as fires came within a mile.

This year the fire dangers were greatly reduced by the fast response time of the pre-staged fire fighting air crews... During 2006 one such available crew was not allowed to cross the Canada border due to "Homeland Security issues..."

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall listening to that conversation with the "governator."


On the flip side... didn't the upper northeastern seaboard get hit with a Hurricane this year?
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 01:12 PM   #24
sanitycheck
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like the encroaching plants pose no danger to you, since you know where they are and can take the lane well in advance. It could be a nasty surprise for someone riding that route for the first time, though -- especially if it's dark and they've got inadequate lights. You'd be doing a good thing if you brought along some hedge clippers.

(Just in case someone hassles you for cutting plants that don't belong to you, take a picture first and show why the plants were dangerous. And keep a copy of your earlier correspondence with the DOT to show you gave the "legitimate" folks a chance to handle the situation first.)

Edit: just noticed that you said some of the hedges are on private property. You might try knocking on the door and explaining the situation; the owners may be willing to cut the hedges themselves. Of course, if they refuse and you do the job yourself, then there is always the outside chance that an Overprotective Hedge Sociopath will be out for revenge, and will now know what you look like, so use your discretion...

Last edited by sanitycheck; 10-30-08 at 01:21 PM.
sanitycheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-08, 01:30 PM   #25
apricissimus 
L T X B O M P F A N S R
 
apricissimus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Malden, MA
Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
You can read about it here... http://map.sdsu.edu/ and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califor...f_October_2007 and here http://www.kpbs.org/news/fires

My office closed for 3 days due to that fire, which came within miles of the office and near by freeways. The year before, we packed up and were ready to leave our house as fires came within a mile.

This year the fire dangers were greatly reduced by the fast response time of the pre-staged fire fighting air crews... During 2006 one such available crew was not allowed to cross the Canada border due to "Homeland Security issues..."

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall listening to that conversation with the "governator."


On the flip side... didn't the upper northeastern seaboard get hit with a Hurricane this year?
hurricanes by the time the get up here <<<<<<<< wildfires

I don't think it was still a hurricane by the time it got here, and it was weak enough that I don't even recall it as being a anything other than a run-of-the-mill storm.

The only severe weather we get around here are the occasional blizzards, which are mostly just nuisances.
apricissimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:12 PM.