Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Wrong way guy

  1. #1
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Wrong way guy

    Captured this a coupla months back.


  2. #2
    Spelling Snob Hobartlemagne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    My Bikes
    Panasonic DX4000, Bianchi Pista
    Posts
    2,863
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a controlled access freeway?

    That's a no-no in most states even if going the right way.

    The first rule of flats is You don't talk about flats!

  3. #3
    Where am I?
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Houston, TX
    My Bikes
    Old Centurion Accordo (in the process of being SS'ed), Cannondale Quick 5 (racks/panniers/fenders, utility bike), Trek XO1 (fun/fast/main ride)
    Posts
    179
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobartlemagne View Post
    Is that a controlled access freeway?

    That's a no-no in most states even if going the right way.
    +1

    Not to mention there are usually dozens of parallel streets along highways like that. Parallel streets where you can ride just as fast and not have to deal with 65+ MPH traffic.

    And going the wrong way on a controlled access freeway means that you will be going against the on-ramp traffic when you are trying to get off the freeway.

    I would rate this a 9.7 on the fail-o-meter.

  4. #4
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a bike path on both sides and the bicycle bridge from which I took this picture. It's not controlled access, but still...

  5. #5
    Senior Member LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    19,447
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I don't feel I'd be less safe riding the wrong way on the freeway. I typically don't ride the wrong way, though.

    It's legal to ride on some sections of the freeways around here. I guess if you're going the wrong way you wouldn't notice the "Bicycles must exit" signs that exist when you approach a "No Ride" zone.

    I prefer the freeway 'round here because riding 10 feet away from 70mph traffic with few exit/entrance options feels better than 4 (or fewer) feet away from 50mph traffic with all kindsa driveways and sidestreets.

    All depends on the situation, tho.

  6. #6
    Biker, Lover, Fighter
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The LBC, CA
    My Bikes
    My own hand built frames, Kestrel road bike, Surly Cross Check.
    Posts
    414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he's going for a ride to grab a cup of coffee with Mr. Darwin.

  7. #7
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy does it a lot. Lots of people have seen him going the wrong way down this road.

  8. #8
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,530
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post

    I prefer the freeway 'round here because riding 10 feet away from 70mph traffic with few exit/entrance options feels better than 4 (or fewer) feet away from 50mph traffic with all kindsa driveways and sidestreets.

    All depends on the situation, tho.
    Ain't that the truth...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    47
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that a cyclist or a ped?. I can't tell.

  10. #10
    Senior Member StrangeWill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fallbrook, CA.
    Posts
    1,112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should be taking the lane.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    90
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe he was picking up litter?

  12. #12
    Senior Member bhop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik
    Posts
    1,889
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some people think they're safer that way because they can see the cars coming. My friend told me this, and it blew me away. He doesn't ride, but said if he did, he'd ride facing cars so he could see them coming. I schooled him on how suicidal that is and think I made him understand, but the fact is he just has zero experience with bicycles and just didn't know.

  13. #13
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,731
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know more about the odd right turn the first car is making onto the shoulder (with no apparent exit), while the car behind him has his right blinker on for the same (yet, in the left edge of the lane at a reasonably sharp angle considering that speeds here are probably over 40)...

    -Kurt

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is clearly not a limited access roadway as evidenced by the traffic lights showing at top right of the photo. The shoulder here is super wide, and I doubt legal speeds exceed 50 mph given the configuration. This is clearly not a freeway.

    I'd want to know how taking the bike paths would compare with his taking the shoulder in terms of where this guy/gal is headed. His reasons for using the road my be more complicated than what shows in a snapshot.

    As for riding in the wrong direction, given the huge shoulder, I don't see where his direction of travel is such a big deal. Sure, we can speculate that he'll miss signs directing bike traffic to exit (presence of said signs equally speculative), but, from a photo, we can't tell if he's travelling to the next exit or making a cross country trip.

    Given that trailer he's towing, I'm guessing that he has a specific, local destination, and, from the posts here, it is clear he uses this route regularly.

    My vote would be to give him the benefit of the doubt absent more information than just the photo.

    Caruso

  15. #15
    Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In The Wind
    Posts
    25,077
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a surprise for the first car that sees him from the on ramp just up ahead of him.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

    Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

  16. #16
    Beer. I love. kenyan_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    My Bikes
    2006 Specialized Roubaix Comp
    Posts
    115
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhop View Post
    Some people think they're safer that way because they can see the cars coming. My friend told me this, and it blew me away. He doesn't ride, but said if he did, he'd ride facing cars so he could see them coming. I schooled him on how suicidal that is and think I made him understand, but the fact is he just has zero experience with bicycles and just didn't know.
    I know that in some countries, such as Kenya, the rule is to ride the bike against motor traffic. The reasoning might be that at least you can see the guy who's going to hit you, instead of getting hit from the back when you ride parallel to traffic. It's saying: Be a man, take it on the chin. Maybe it is Darwinism at work, natural selection, survival of the fittest, etc.

    I've seen cops pulls over wrong way guys/gals in the back roads by my workplace. Unfortunately it's always the poorer members of our society, and I know they don't have the funds to pay the fines, so it's a waste of taxpayer money.
    Legalize doping.
    Pedal, pedal, pedal, then pedal some more.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    32
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan View Post
    This guy does it a lot. Lots of people have seen him going the wrong way down this road.
    Is that 5 heading into St. Paul?

  18. #18
    Senior Member LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    19,447
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I'd like to see more freeway riders!
    right way
    Or wrong way.
    As long as they're not in the same lane at the same time.

    I did two mostly-Interstate centuries this past summer and did not see a single other freeway rider!
    Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-31-08 at 02:14 PM.

  19. #19
    Twincities MN kuan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Salsa, Cannondale, Surly.
    Posts
    2,527
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CSOM View Post
    Is that 5 heading into St. Paul?
    That's Hiawatha Avenue. Picture taken from the new Sabo bridge.

  20. #20
    Dogs like me. Ajenkins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    361
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi View Post
    It is clearly not a limited access roadway as evidenced by the traffic lights showing at top right of the photo. The shoulder here is super wide, and I doubt legal speeds exceed 50 mph given the configuration. This is clearly not a freeway.

    I'd want to know how taking the bike paths would compare with his taking the shoulder in terms of where this guy/gal is headed. His reasons for using the road my be more complicated than what shows in a snapshot.

    As for riding in the wrong direction, given the huge shoulder, I don't see where his direction of travel is such a big deal. Sure, we can speculate that he'll miss signs directing bike traffic to exit (presence of said signs equally speculative), but, from a photo, we can't tell if he's travelling to the next exit or making a cross country trip.

    Given that trailer he's towing, I'm guessing that he has a specific, local destination, and, from the posts here, it is clear he uses this route regularly.

    My vote would be to give him the benefit of the doubt absent more information than just the photo.

    Caruso

    My vote would be to get both him and carusowi some cyclist education.

  21. #21
    Got Scotch? goalieMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Minnetonka, MN
    My Bikes
    QR Kilo, Specialized Crossroads
    Posts
    277
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kuan View Post
    That's Hiawatha Avenue. Picture taken from the new Sabo bridge.
    I thought that looked familiar.

    "It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it."

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,180
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajenkins View Post
    My vote would be to get both him and carusowi some cyclist education.

    Save your education, Aj. I ride plenty, never against traffic. I just don't choose to judge a guy from a snap shot without any additional information.

    When I ride, I take care of myself, and would never shoot a pic of a fellow cyclist (I ride with a full load of DSLR photo gear most of the time) just to post it here so that we can take verbal pot shots at the guy.

    In my view, that has no positive impact on A&S.

    You are entitled to your view, however.

    Caruso

  23. #23
    Been Around Awhile I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Burlington Iowa
    My Bikes
    Vaterland and Ragazzi
    Posts
    19,505
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carusoswi View Post
    Save your education, Aj. I ride plenty, never against traffic. I just don't choose to judge a guy from a snap shot without any additional information.

    When I ride, I take care of myself, and would never shoot a pic of a fellow cyclist (I ride with a full load of DSLR photo gear most of the time) just to post it here so that we can take verbal pot shots at the guy.

    In my view, that has no positive impact on A&S.

    You are entitled to your view, however.

    Caruso
    I'm with Carusoswi. Too many A&S "educators" post as if advocacy consists of whining about the failings of "other cyclists" who don't look or seem to act as perfectly/competently as themselves. What exactly is the point of the OP and the ill informed finger pointers? My advice no advocacy is better than this brand of contempt for "other cyclists" hurled by BF advocates.

  24. #24
    Devilmaycare Cycling Fool Allister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Wynnum, Australia
    My Bikes
    1998 Cannondale F700
    Posts
    3,819
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes, going the wrong way is easier and safer than trying to get across six lanes of traffic. At least there's plenty of room.
    If we learn from our mistakes, I must be a goddamn genius.

  25. #25
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see what he is doing as being particularly dangerous except at ramps. Then it could be a big problem. Wrong way riders seem to ride as far to the side of the shoulder as possible, which would be ok most of the time. It's when they aren't on a shoulder that the problems really show up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •