Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-08, 08:04 AM   #1
Glades2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Follow-up: Extreme Cycling Fatailities...

Per my initial post of a week or two ago, I wanted to let everyone here know that from what other members recently mentioned on the club's web site, this woman crashed because of a front tire blowout near the bottom of one of the steepest descents (from my own experience, perhaps heat generated from too much braking, combined with a very high tire pressure), but, two other factors were also mentioned by club members:

- a possible front fork problem with the type of road bike that was being used (possibly a recall issue), and,

- not enough advanced training prior to the ride, since the group's only experience with hills or mountain roads before this ride were the "hills" of the local bridges, and, for those here who are aware of the hills around Mount Dora, Florida, this woman's several visits to Sugarloaf "Mountain", but, as we all know, training on bridge overpasses and even Sugarloaf are nothing compared to the steep mountain roads of North Georgia, and, their comments really do match my own previous analogy of the person who goes from being a skiier on the novice slopes to a novice who attempts the alpine slopes but crashes in the attempt...

The cyclist killed (Daniella) was liked by everyone that knew her, and, was greatly missed at the club's annual century last week, and, in her memory, I stand by my previous comments, because, as proactive as she was when it came to being a club member, I'm sure she'd say that more training and care is needed before and during rides that include very steep ascents and descents, since a certain amount of knowledge and skill is required before attempting a route that was initially designed for the professional cyclist (Tour de Georgia)...

When I belonged to the local Sierra Club chapter, they'd rate the outings by degree of difficulty, from novice to expert, which was done in the hope that the novice would not get into trouble by attempting something that was beyond a person's skill level - perhaps that is something needed for centuries such as Six Gap, instead of encouraging cyclists (in this case, "flatland" cyclists) to ride a "challenging" route, as was done for this ride...

Glades2

Last edited by Glades2; 11-07-08 at 08:44 AM.
Glades2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 08:47 AM   #2
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glades2 View Post
Per my initial post of a week or two ago, I wanted to let everyone here know that from what other members recently mentioned on the club's web site, this woman crashed because of a front tire blowout near the bottom of one of the steepest descents (from my own experience, perhaps heat generated from too much braking, combined with a very high tire pressure), but, two other factors were also mentioned by club members:...
and, in her memory, I stand by my previous comments, because, as proactive as she was when it came to being an active club member, I'm sure she'd say that more training and care is needed before and during rides that include very steep ascents and descents, since a certain amount of knowledge and skill is required before attempting a route that was initially designed for the professional cyclist (Tour of Georgia)...
Swell! Another followup up of your nasty gossip and speculation about the death of cyclist with the additional speculation of your club members' "mentionings" (no doubt prompted by you).

But that's OK, you are only doing this service "in her memory", eh? Your postings on this subject still make me retch.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 08:53 AM   #3
Glades2
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's your problem - others here posted intelligent comments to the previous thread, unlike your own words...

Many in our local club are still upset over what happened, and, have had many similar discussions in regards to the concerns that have been raised - more thought is needed before urban cyclists from relatively flat areas attempt expert routes such as the one in this case...

I'm glad that I stuck with my first reaction when hearing of her accident - that it likely happened because a person with little or no experience in mountain road cycling perhaps found herself in over her head - perhaps you are new to the sport and don't understand that, but, many here like myself are veterans of both racing and touring cycling and understand what that can mean when going 50 or 60 mph - if you have a problem with that, perhaps, as your username states, you are in the sport only for fun and not safety, but, as the veteran cyclists know, it only takes one accident to change a person's thinking - if the person survives...

Last edited by Glades2; 11-07-08 at 09:10 AM.
Glades2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 10:40 AM   #4
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now that we know your side of the "facts," let us drop this conversation (or argument, depending on how you look at it).

It is not tactful nor gentlemanly to dig up dirt over someone's tragic death.

-Kurt
__________________

Last edited by cudak888; 11-07-08 at 08:11 PM.
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 12:17 PM   #5
mkael
Senior Member
 
mkael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel branding cycling on public roads extreme is well a little extreme. People can usually slow down if they get scared. I don't know if that happened on a group ride with social pressure issues. And **** sometimes happens not everything has a reason.

Lots of mountains around the world must get people from flat areas. Is there a real problem with them crashing often? I would say motorcyclists take way bigger risks than the average cyclist on the slopes I have seen.
mkael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 02:01 PM   #6
surveyor
Where am I?
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Bikes: Old Centurion Accordo (in the process of being SS'ed), Cannondale Quick 5 (racks/panniers/fenders, utility bike), Trek XO1 (fun/fast/main ride)
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glades2 View Post
I'm glad that I stuck with my first reaction when hearing of her accident - that it likely happened because a person with little or no experience in mountain road cycling perhaps found herself in over her head - perhaps you are new to the sport and don't understand that, but, many here like myself are veterans of both racing and touring cycling and understand what that can mean when going 50 or 60 mph - if you have a problem with that, perhaps, as your username states, you are in the sport only for fun and not safety, but, as the veteran cyclists know, it only takes one accident to change a person's thinking - if the person survives...
It must be nice to be right all the time, and to be the ultimate authority on anything whenever you open your mouth...

It must be terribly droll to have to converse with us mere cycling mortals, especially when we don't immediate shower you with love and praise for those brilliantly insightful comments you make. (Especially those ad hominem attacks - they really persuade others to understand your point, don't you know.)

How do you walk past mirrors without swooning at the sight of yourself?
surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 02:09 PM   #7
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor View Post
How do you walk past mirrors without swooning at the sight of yourself?
Given the OP's taste/penchant for this accident victim's blood, maybe he can't see himself in a mirror. But then again, ghouls can, so I don't know how he does it.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 05:46 PM   #8
RobertHurst
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Bikes:
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glades2 View Post
Per my initial post of a week or two ago, I wanted to let everyone here know that from what other members recently mentioned on the club's web site, this woman crashed because of a front tire blowout near the bottom of one of the steepest descents (from my own experience, perhaps heat generated from too much braking, combined with a very high tire pressure), but, two other factors were also mentioned by club members:

- a possible front fork problem with the type of road bike that was being used (possibly a recall issue), and,

- not enough advanced training prior to the ride, since the group's only experience with hills or mountain roads before this ride were the "hills" of the local bridges, and, for those here who are aware of the hills around Mount Dora, Florida, this woman's several visits to Sugarloaf "Mountain", but, as we all know, training on bridge overpasses and even Sugarloaf are nothing compared to the steep mountain roads of North Georgia, and, their comments really do match my own previous analogy of the person who goes from being a skiier on the novice slopes to a novice who attempts the alpine slopes but crashes in the attempt...

The cyclist killed (Daniella) was liked by everyone that knew her, and, was greatly missed at the club's annual century last week, and, in her memory, I stand by my previous comments, because, as proactive as she was when it came to being a club member, I'm sure she'd say that more training and care is needed before and during rides that include very steep ascents and descents, since a certain amount of knowledge and skill is required before attempting a route that was initially designed for the professional cyclist (Tour de Georgia)...

When I belonged to the local Sierra Club chapter, they'd rate the outings by degree of difficulty, from novice to expert, which was done in the hope that the novice would not get into trouble by attempting something that was beyond a person's skill level - perhaps that is something needed for centuries such as Six Gap, instead of encouraging cyclists (in this case, "flatland" cyclists) to ride a "challenging" route, as was done for this ride...

Glades2
A blowout would be easy to see after the fact, just by looking at the tube. Unfortunately, just because we see that the tube suffered a blowout event does not mean the blowout was the cause of the crash, because a blowout could also occur when a wheel fails after a crash or in some front fork catastrophe.

So, why do they think it was a blowout? Did they even examine the tube and tire? What's this issue with the front fork that you mention?

Sounds like people are still guessing about what really happened, although evidence points to some kind of catastrophic equipment failure. And yet here you are, again, insisting that the cause was the victim's inexperience. Very, very strange behavior on your part I have to say.
RobertHurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 05:48 PM   #9
RobertHurst
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Bikes:
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by surveyor View Post
It must be nice to be right all the time, and to be the ultimate authority on anything whenever you open your mouth...
Right? I haven't heard or read anything about this tragedy that leads me to believe that Glade2 is even in the right ballpark.
RobertHurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 06:08 PM   #10
HoustonB
Βanned.
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland Oregon
Bikes: 1976 Dawes Galaxy, 1993 Trek 950 Single Track and Made-to-Measure Reynolds 753 road bike with Campag throughout.
Posts: 620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glades2 View Post
Fresh steaming excrement
I have an idea, why don't you go forth and procreate thyself.
__________________
LOL The End is Nigh (for 80% of middle class North Americans) - I sneer in their general direction.
HoustonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 06:13 PM   #11
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint
 
Panthers007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dante's Third Ring
Bikes:
Posts: 7,479
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Or, perhaps, a nice, fast ride down Snake Alley in Burlington, Iowa - with no brakes...
Panthers007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 06:33 PM   #12
RobertHurst
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Bikes:
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cudak888 View Post
Now that we know the facts ....
???? If you know the facts, please share.
RobertHurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 07:43 PM   #13
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
And we all know that only novice cyclist crash on fast down hills when they have blowouts.

Give up the worthless speculation. If you ever get some real facts, let us know. Then we can have a worthwhile discussion.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 08:10 PM   #14
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertHurst View Post
???? If you know the facts, please share.
It was intended to be sarcastic.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 09:21 PM   #15
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.
 
Ajenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The OP really ought to get a life. His speculation is rude, crude, and thoughtless.
Ajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 09:34 PM   #16
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The route was designed for the Tour De Georgia???? Geez, they have hills steeper than that in San Francisco, and everyday cyclists ride them all the time. Maybe what we need here is for YOU to stop acting like bike riding is dangerous and must be undertaken with excessive caution. Life is DANGEROUS, if you don't like that, stay on the porch.
__________________
Silver Eagle Pilot
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-08, 11:15 PM   #17
SeattleShaun
Team Fat Boy
 
SeattleShaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Seattle
Bikes: Bridgestone MB3 Commuter, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and Custom Ti roadbike by High Ti Cycles
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been trying to stay out of this, but it would be really nice if the OP would quit trying to proclaim that riding a bicycle on a public roadway is in any way extreme. The first thread was silly enough, two is absurd.

If you lack the very basic skill to ride a bicycle on a hill, great - don't ride on hills, but quit pretending that there was anything particularly difficult or "extreme" about the route.

On the positive side, at least he/she has apparently stopped fishing for specious reasons to deny life insurance claims.
SeattleShaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 09:30 AM   #18
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glades2 View Post
I'm glad that I stuck with my first reaction when hearing of her accident - that it likely happened because a person with little or no experience in mountain road cycling perhaps found herself in over her head - perhaps you are new to the sport and don't understand that, but, many here like myself are veterans of both racing and touring cycling and understand what that can mean when going 50 or 60 mph - if you have a problem with that, perhaps, as your username states, you are in the sport only for fun and not safety, but, as the veteran cyclists know, it only takes one accident to change a person's thinking - if the person survives...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajenkins View Post
The OP really ought to get a life. His speculation is rude, crude, and thoughtless.
I consider his misplaced condescension (emanating from his self proclaimed "veteran cyclist" status) directed at me and others disgusted with his lack of decency, to be the silver lining of humor to his black cloud of nasty gossip and tasteless speculation.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 02:06 PM   #19
trekker pete
pedalphile
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ellington, ct
Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't get everyone's pile on of the OP. Perhaps "extreme" was the wrong word, but, his intent, to point out the dangers of high speed descents, is valid. Maybe it will cause some to think about things like tire pressures and braking techniques.

Perhaps had Daniella read such a thread before her fateful ride, she might still be with us.
trekker pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 02:10 PM   #20
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
^^
Did you read the first thread.

This thread does nothing but add more speculation to the first one.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 06:12 PM   #21
trekker pete
pedalphile
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ellington, ct
Bikes: trek 1200, 520, Giant ATX 970, Raleigh Talon
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, no $h!t it's speculation. Half of what you read on BF is speculation.

So what.

The guy was trying to point out to the flatlanders on the board that flying down long steep hills just might get you dead if you aren't careful.

Seems like a valid discussion for A&S.
trekker pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 06:22 PM   #22
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
^^
Did you read the first thread?
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 06:44 PM   #23
UmneyDurak
RacingBear
 
UmneyDurak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: NorCal
Bikes:
Posts: 8,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
WTF is the point of this post?
UmneyDurak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 06:56 PM   #24
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,731
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
WTF is the point of this post?
Gratuitous finger pointing and nasty gossip and tasteless speculation from a ghoulish self proclaimed "veteran cyclist" repeatedly demonstrating his contempt for the victim and condescension towards those bicyclists who don't qualify as "experienced" IAW some cryptic standard known only to the OP.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-08, 11:19 PM   #25
RobertHurst
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Denver
Bikes:
Posts: 1,621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker pete View Post
I don't get everyone's pile on of the OP. Perhaps "extreme" was the wrong word, but, his intent, to point out the dangers of high speed descents, is valid. Maybe it will cause some to think about things like tire pressures and braking techniques.

Perhaps had Daniella read such a thread before her fateful ride, she might still be with us.
From everything I've read it seems most likely that Daniella suffered a catastrophic fork failure, hit an animal, or had the wheel fall off or dropout separate from the fork. If it was human error it could easily have been someone else's error and not Daniella's.

Considering reports of a broken fork the blowout explanation is down the list of possible explanations.
RobertHurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.