This happened right here on Long Island, where I live. It has to be one of the weirdest stories I've heard in a while. Spontaneous Human Combustion? Anyone care to speculate?
While riding bike in Bethpage, man catches fire, dies
BY BILL MASON AND MATTHEW CHAYES
March 13, 2009
"An elderly man who was apparently smoking a cigarette while riding his bicycle home died yesterday after his clothes caught fire on a residential Bethpage street, officials said.
Joseph Rusin, 87, of Bethpage, was seen by a passing motorist at noon engulfed in flames and rolling on the ground on the front lawn of a home on Burkhardt Avenue, police said.
The motorist, a FedEx driver, used a fire extinguisher from his truck to put out the flames, officials said..."