Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-09, 02:20 PM   #1
n00bL35
=microburst=
Thread Starter
 
n00bL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Bikes: Giant OCR3
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike-Car accident on Cops

I was watching Cops yesterday and the officers were called to an accident involving a car and a bicycle. When they arrive, they found a Toyota Corolla that drove off the road and landed in the woods. They asked the lady driving the car what happened, and wanted to know where the cyclist was. She says she was just driving along a straight road and skidded off. Where's the cyclist? She says she doesn't know anything about a cyclist.

The cops figure that the call was wrong, so they wave away the ambulance that arrives. Few minutes later, a dazed teenager comes stumbling up to the cops, drenched in blood. He had no memory of the crash and couldn't tell them which direction he was traveling or why. He didn't know his address and couldn't give them a name of someone to call. Upon closer inspection of the car, there was a teenager sized dent in the hood and the windshield was smashed like it hit a person.There was no other obstacle that would've made such a mark. They also found a bike in the woods, smashed to bits. The witness that called it in was driving behind the woman, and said she just smashed into the back of the bike, the kid flipped 10 feet into the air, and then they both skidded off the road.

The kicker is this: the woman was charged with failure to maintain lane! She nearly killed a 14 year old on a bike, then lied and said she never hit anyone, and she gets charged with failure to maintain lane?? What the hell is up with our justice system?
n00bL35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 02:21 PM   #2
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love
 
RichinPeoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 3,387
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw that too, that was very disturbing
RichinPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 02:50 PM   #3
RideCO
Indefatigable
 
RideCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: 09 Motobecane Grand Sprint and a couple others not worth mentioning.
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think sometimes we get a little too upset with "leniency" toward the driver when there is an accident involving a car and a bike. Accidents happen, and when they do tickets are issued for the violation committed and not for the result. I didn't see this one so I can't say whats fair or not but it sounds like she got charged with what she did, failure to maintain lane.

Its sucks when an accident involves a bike because the rider is so vulnerable, but if there was no malice then its just a ticket for the violation committed, even if someone gets killed.
RideCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 02:53 PM   #4
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,660
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
i watch too much cops; think i've seen that one at least a few times. yeah, it's crazy she could get away with that... too bad it wasn't the mayor she hit, instead of some powerless/unconnected child.

there's another episode where they're pulling over a car, and during the questioning a car hits a bike right behind them. unfortunately, they got most of the hit on tape too.

that show is crazy, yet i love it.

btw anyone watch "jail" - kinda like that show too. makes me so happy to be free.
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 03:14 PM   #5
n00bL35
=microburst=
Thread Starter
 
n00bL35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Bikes: Giant OCR3
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideCO View Post
I think sometimes we get a little too upset with "leniency" toward the driver when there is an accident involving a car and a bike. Accidents happen, and when they do tickets are issued for the violation committed and not for the result. I didn't see this one so I can't say whats fair or not but it sounds like she got charged with what she did, failure to maintain lane.

Its sucks when an accident involves a bike because the rider is so vulnerable, but if there was no malice then its just a ticket for the violation committed, even if someone gets killed.
What would happen if she hit a pedestrian? What if it was a 3 year old on a bike? The part that makes it worse is that she lied about the fact that she hit someone, and it literally delayed him from getting help for like 10 minutes. If the guy hadn't regained consciousness, he could've laid there until he died.
n00bL35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 04:07 PM   #6
RideCO
Indefatigable
 
RideCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: 09 Motobecane Grand Sprint and a couple others not worth mentioning.
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bL35 View Post
What would happen if she hit a pedestrian? What if it was a 3 year old on a bike? The part that makes it worse is that she lied about the fact that she hit someone, and it literally delayed him from getting help for like 10 minutes. If the guy hadn't regained consciousness, he could've laid there until he died.
If it was a 3 year old it would be a tragic accident, but an accident. What if nobody was there and she just drifted onto the shoulder, then back on the road? That has happened to me, it has happened to everybody.

I agree that Lying about it is the real problem, like if she left the scene, and because of that I suppose the cops were too 'lenient', but what can they charge her with?
RideCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 04:45 PM   #7
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,660
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideCO View Post
If it was a 3 year old it would be a tragic accident, but an accident. What if nobody was there and she just drifted onto the shoulder, then back on the road? That has happened to me, it has happened to everybody.

I agree that Lying about it is the real problem, like if she left the scene, and because of that I suppose the cops were too 'lenient'
, but what can they charge her with?
if she lied about it, i'd start with "obstructing justice" and go from there.

they can tack on all kinds of fun stuff if they really want to.
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 05:12 PM   #8
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Accidents are no ones fault. The driver hitting the cyclist was clearly an accident because it wasn't her fault she drove off the road, hit the cyclist, and continued off the road. Really, it's no one's fault. /sarcasm
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 05:27 PM   #9
RideCO
Indefatigable
 
RideCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: 09 Motobecane Grand Sprint and a couple others not worth mentioning.
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian View Post
Accidents are no ones fault. The driver hitting the cyclist was clearly an accident because it wasn't her fault she drove off the road, hit the cyclist, and continued off the road. Really, it's no one's fault. /sarcasm
My point was that her hitting the cyclist was an accident, not a serious crime.
RideCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 05:41 PM   #10
mattm
**** that
 
mattm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CALI
Bikes:
Posts: 13,660
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideCO View Post
My point was that her hitting the cyclist was an accident, not a serious crime.
but what she did after the accident made it a more serious crime, i think. (eg lying and trying to cover it up)

if that was a bike cop she hit, i'm sure they could come up with some better charges..
__________________
cat 1.

blog
mattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 05:43 PM   #11
ls01
he said member
 
ls01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: location, location!
Bikes: are smarter than your bikes
Posts: 7,918
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bet your attitude would change if she hit you from behind.
ls01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 05:43 PM   #12
Val23708
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NorCal
Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)
Posts: 2,457
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideCO View Post
My point was that her hitting the cyclist was an accident, not a serious crime.
negligence while operating dangerous machinery (a car) should count as a crime
Val23708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 05:49 PM   #13
RideCO
Indefatigable
 
RideCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: 09 Motobecane Grand Sprint and a couple others not worth mentioning.
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
but what she did after the accident made it a more serious crime, i think. (eg lying and trying to cover it up)

if that was a bike cop she hit, i'm sure they could come up with some better charges..
agreed.
RideCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 05:56 PM   #14
RideCO
Indefatigable
 
RideCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Boulder, CO
Bikes: 09 Motobecane Grand Sprint and a couple others not worth mentioning.
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val23708 View Post
negligence while operating dangerous machinery (a car) should count as a crime
I disagree,

Failing to keep your car within the lane is not negligence, it is a reasonably minor traffic violation, you can't throw people in jail for that, we would all be in jail, we have all crossed pavement markings on some occasions. The fact that she hit someone is an accident caused by said violation.

On the other hand if she was drag racing or tearing around like a nut case, that would be negligence.
RideCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 05:59 PM   #15
Glidedon
Senior Member
 
Glidedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Bikes:
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best Show on TV

Those two episodes are the reason I have a mirror.
Glidedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 06:05 PM   #16
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Val23708 View Post
negligence while operating dangerous machinery (a car) should count as a crime
It is. That's what they charged that old man with for running down all those people in the Santa Monica Farmer's Market.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RideCO View Post
I disagree,

Failing to keep your car within the lane is not negligence, it is a reasonably minor traffic violation, you can't throw people in jail for that, we would all be in jail, we have all crossed pavement markings on some occasions. The fact that she hit someone is an accident caused by said violation.

On the other hand if she was drag racing or tearing around like a nut case, that would be negligence.
Drivers are required to maintain control of their vehicle. Negligence is doing ANYTHING that causes a loss of control. The only thing that could excuse this lady would be if something outside of her control caused her to lose control of the vehicle, such as a malfunction of the vehicle. Yes, it's still an accident either way, but you are still liable for accidents.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 06:36 PM   #17
IbikezLA
Senior Member
 
IbikezLA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 459
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd think the cop would be pissed about being lied to.
IbikezLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 06:38 PM   #18
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt
 
Grumpy McTrumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Binghamton, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 12,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Don't watch COPS
Grumpy McTrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-09, 11:46 PM   #19
HarryStoddard
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideCO View Post
I think sometimes we get a little too upset with "leniency" toward the driver when there is an accident involving a car and a bike. Accidents happen, and when they do tickets are issued for the violation committed and not for the result. I didn't see this one so I can't say whats fair or not but it sounds like she got charged with what she did, failure to maintain lane.

Its sucks when an accident involves a bike because the rider is so vulnerable, but if there was no malice then its just a ticket for the violation committed, even if someone gets killed.
But she LIED about it! She was willing to leave the kid there like that.
HarryStoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 12:00 AM   #20
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss
 
celticfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TTing on the MUP
Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideCO View Post
I disagree,

Failing to keep your car within the lane is not negligence, it is a reasonably minor traffic violation, you can't throw people in jail for that, we would all be in jail, we have all crossed pavement markings on some occasions. The fact that she hit someone is an accident caused by said violation.

On the other hand if she was drag racing or tearing around like a nut case, that would be negligence.
Note to self: when/if I rear-end a cyclist because I'm drifting over the white line, make sure I'm not speeding or "drag racing or tearing around like a nut case". Then it'll just be an accident and I can go on my merry way with a ticket for a "minor traffic violation".
__________________
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
celticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 01:10 AM   #21
unterhausen
Randomhead
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
Bikes:
Posts: 14,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
seems to me that it is fairly common not to charge drivers with anything when there is an accident. And this is not just with cyclist involvement.
unterhausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 06:05 AM   #22
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStoddard View Post
But she LIED about it! She was willing to leave the kid there like that.
That's true. That makes her guilty of felony hit-and-run.
__________________
"Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 06:09 AM   #23
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bl35 View Post
i was watching cops yesterday and the officers were called to an accident involving a car and a bicycle. When they arrive, they found a toyota corolla that drove off the road and landed in the woods. They asked the lady driving the car what happened, and wanted to know where the cyclist was. She says she was just driving along a straight road and skidded off. Where's the cyclist? She says she doesn't know anything about a cyclist.

The cops figure that the call was wrong, so they wave away the ambulance that arrives. Few minutes later, a dazed teenager comes stumbling up to the cops, drenched in blood. He had no memory of the crash and couldn't tell them which direction he was traveling or why. He didn't know his address and couldn't give them a name of someone to call. Upon closer inspection of the car, there was a teenager sized dent in the hood and the windshield was smashed like it hit a person.there was no other obstacle that would've made such a mark. They also found a bike in the woods, smashed to bits. The witness that called it in was driving behind the woman, and said she just smashed into the back of the bike, the kid flipped 10 feet into the air, and then they both skidded off the road.

The kicker is this: The woman was charged with failure to maintain lane! She nearly killed a 14 year old on a bike, then lied and said she never hit anyone, and she gets charged with failure to maintain lane?? What the hell is up with our justice system?
a&s
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 06:27 AM   #24
K&K_Dad
Schleckaholic
 
K&K_Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Carteret Co., NC, USA
Bikes: '08 Trek 1.2, Schwinn Avenue Hybrid, '11 GT Sport
Posts: 1,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
here's the problem.. when bikes are involved in accidents you have to remember that bikes are given all due rights of the other vehicles on the road. Meaning that if an accident occurs it is between 2 vehicles(cars). We can't look at the fact that one of those vehicles has no safety restraint system or airbags, because that is a serious point here. Yes the woman should have been been charged with lying(possible obstruction) but it probably will never happen. It is a shame that people get hurt and no one 'pays' for it. Just this past weekend I went to a major accident involving 6 people in 2 vehicles. We flew 3 helo's out and 2 ground units to our closest trauma center. The youngest victim of the accident was 5 and he shattered both of his legs. Why? His driver pulled out in front of a car. What did she get charged with? Failure to yeild. Should she have been charged with more? Yes? But she has to be guilty of something to be charged with first and the officer has to have the balls to do it.
K&K_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-09, 06:32 AM   #25
IKYR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideCO View Post
Its sucks when an accident involves a bike because the rider is so vulnerable, but if there was no malice then its just a ticket for the violation committed, even if someone gets killed.
It's thinking like this that angers me...it's not just an "accident" its negligence on the part of the driver. An accident would be if the driver hit and icy patch or something and couldn't control the outcome. People are no longer expected to be responsible for any of their actions...it's always an "accident"..."I didn't see the person" Well its the drivers responsibility to pay attention and unless there are repercussions people feel no need to follow the rules of the road or safe driving practices...

wayne
IKYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:56 AM.