Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 226 to 232 of 232
  1. #226
    Senior Member italktocats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    249
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howsteepisit View Post
    Let's see here, it appears that Ziemas and his buds got together and decided that cyclists who wear headphones are idiots, so it must be fact. Why does this sound familiar to those of us who lived through the civil rights ear in the US?
    even idiots are allowed to ride a bike

  2. #227
    Senior Member howsteepisit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Mecian
    Posts
    3,406
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not in Latvia, apparently
    Recycle, Reclaim, Reuse and Repair
    The 4 Rs to save the planet

    "Toes"

  3. #228
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by italktocats View Post
    so all motorcycles are impaired

    as well as all cagers


    everyones impaired!

    being impaired is thus the norm, thus noone is impaired overal
    One must take into consideration that those vehicles are not capable of instantaneous and dramatic changes in direction like cyclists and pedestrians, and they typically operate in a far more predictable way on roads than cyclists and pedestrians do, and when on MUTs there is even less order and formality which requires more cooperative interaction.

  4. #229
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    It happens, but the idiot is still an idiot when he takes his headphones off. It doesn't mean that the headphones make everyone behave like maniacs.
    There has been hyperbole displayed by both sides of the issue. Those who choose to believe the use of earphones will cause the sky to fall, and those who choose to believe wearing earphones only causes busybodies and old hens distress. In reality the truth falls between the two, and its having the awareness of the potential issues that matters, not what one chooses to belive.

  5. #230
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    7,744
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
    There has been hyperbole displayed by both sides of the issue. Those who choose to believe the use of earphones will cause the sky to fall, and those who choose to believe wearing earphones only causes busybodies and old hens distress. In reality the truth falls between the two, and its having the awareness of the potential issues that matters, not what one chooses to belive.
    Sure, I'd add "simply misguided" and "prone to snap judgments" in with that group.

    You don't even know that the guy with earbuds has anything turned on. You don't know the volume level if he does. You don't know that he even has hearing; perhaps he's deaf and has earbuds so that you don't try to talk to him. You don't know that he doesn't have full awareness with any volume of music. People assume that there's automatically a problem, and that really is a case of choosing to believe something.

    I've said it a couple of times, I judge someone's potential distraction and skills by observing them as I approach. Earbuds, helmet, clothes, type of bike, none of these common sources of judgment enter into it - just their positioning and movements in context with what's going on around them. I don't choose to believe anything at all about their headphones.

  6. #231
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Kent Wa.
    My Bikes
    1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8
    Posts
    2,616
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wphamilton View Post
    I don't choose to believe anything at all about their headphones.
    But you are aware of the potential right? If you're approaching a couple of joggers from behind on a MUT, one with earphones one without, do you really not watch the one with earphones any closer?

    I rode about 60 miles yesterday and passed many cyclists and pedestrians wearing earphones without issue, but there was one jogger who wearing them who didn't respond to my bell and decided to cross from the right hand side of the trail to the gravel track on the left hand side of the trail just as I was passing her. I had to brake, swerve, and ring my bell repeatedly to avoid her, fortunately I was going a little Under 10 mph because of prior experiences.

    It was my awareness of the potential issues, and my extra caution for those who wear earphones that prevented a collision.

  7. #232
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    7,744
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstart View Post
    But you are aware of the potential right? If you're approaching a couple of joggers from behind on a MUT, one with earphones one without, do you really not watch the one with earphones any closer?

    I rode about 60 miles yesterday and passed many cyclists and pedestrians wearing earphones without issue, but there was one jogger who wearing them who didn't respond to my bell and decided to cross from the right hand side of the trail to the gravel track on the left hand side of the trail just as I was passing her. I had to brake, swerve, and ring my bell repeatedly to avoid her, fortunately I was going a little Under 10 mph because of prior experiences.

    It was my awareness of the potential issues, and my extra caution for those who wear earphones that prevented a collision.
    I am aware of the potential, but no I don't watch the one with earphones more closely. I watch the jogger more closely who shows no awareness. Who shows no response to my alert, overt nor with body language. I get the u-turn joggers, one of the biggest hazards in my opinion, but I see no correlation with earphones. Looking at their watch, or some other device, slowing down, changing posture and losing their line, those are my tip-offs and I've seen it with or without earphones. Plus being near a landmark or mile marker (after around 2,000 trips on the commute I know where they're more likely to turn around, but that's another subject).

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •