Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NoVA
    My Bikes
    Cervelo P2, Scott S30
    Posts
    598
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bicyclist killed by military truck (Washington DC)

    Bicyclist killed by military truck
    Bicyclist killed on N.Y. Avenue - Vehicle was in a convoy connected with the nuclear security summit
    Story by Martin Weil
    April 12, 2010


    Update, 7:23 p.m.: A bicyclist was fatally injured Monday night after she was struck by a vehicle in a military convoy connected with the nuclear security summit being held at the Washington Convention Center, authorities said.

    The bicyclist, a woman, was hit about 6 p.m. at the corner of 12th and New York Avenue NW, said D.C. police spokesman Quintin Peterson.

    “It was horrific,” said a woman who declined to give her name, but was clearly shaken after seeing the incident as she emerged from a nearby restaurant.

    Further details were not immediately available.

    Video: Police Chief Lanier at the scene of the collision

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has me twisted; one of my "brothers" was involved in the killing of another....

    I'm a vet, and while I know a certain amount of vets are piecees o' feces, I'll give a vet the benny of the doubt over a civilian. But then, I can't just automatically condemn a fellow rider, either.

    Tragic.

    RIP, rider; heal your soul, soldier.

    Edit: oops, skimming isn't good -- the rider was female... so, a "sister"....

  3. #3
    Senior Member wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Crystal MN
    Posts
    2,147
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We can see where this is headed. The was a collision between the truck and the cyclist. Aprox. what the video said.
    My Youtube Cycling Videos Here

  4. #4
    山馬鹿 Spire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Fuchu, Tokyo, Japan
    My Bikes
    TREK 1000 and a junk bike with a basket on the front to go to the shops.
    Posts
    1,398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I can say is that I wish her family my deepest condolences.

    If it turns out that the truck driver was as fault and negligent I hope he/she is prosecuted.
    http://www.cyclistsroadmap.com/eng/ - Cyclists' road map. Checkout which roads are good for cycling and rate roads in your area.

  5. #5
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whose brilliant idea was it to use military 5 ton trucks and reservist as police escorts?

    No national news coverage?

    This one looks like whatever happened, the cyclist will somehow get blamed.

  6. #6
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,072
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hrt4me View Post
    Bicyclist killed by military truck
    Bicyclist killed on N.Y. Avenue - Vehicle was in a convoy connected with the nuclear security summit
    Story by Martin Weil
    April 12, 2010


    Update, 7:23 p.m.: A bicyclist was fatally injured Monday night after she was struck by a vehicle in a military convoy connected with the nuclear security summit being held at the Washington Convention Center, authorities said.

    The bicyclist, a woman, was hit about 6 p.m. at the corner of 12th and New York Avenue NW, said D.C. police spokesman Quintin Peterson.

    “It was horrific,” said a woman who declined to give her name, but was clearly shaken after seeing the incident as she emerged from a nearby restaurant.

    Further details were not immediately available.

    Video: Police Chief Lanier at the scene of the collision
    The problem withe facts about the incident is some of the local news outlets were saying:

    1. It was a pedestrian, others said it was a cyclist
    2. The vehicle involved was two tons, others were saying it was five tons

  7. #7
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,072
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Whose brilliant idea was it to use military 5 ton trucks and reservist as police escorts?

    No national news coverage?

    This one looks like whatever happened, the cyclist will somehow get blamed.
    I agree.

  8. #8
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,730
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The title of the article subliminally suggests that a bicycle is not a vehicle:

    Bicyclist killed on N.Y. Avenue - Vehicle was in a convoy connected with the nuclear security summit
    Most people here at A&S will note that the wording implies that the bicyclist was a vehicle in the convoy. However, to anyone outside the cycling world, the terms "bicyclist" and "vehicle" are being used as mutually exclusive terms; hence, the vehicle is not describing the bicyclist.

    An observation for the A&S'ers who want to raise hell over whatever they read.

    -Kurt

  9. #9
    Elitest Murray Owner Mos6502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    My Bikes
    1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster
    Posts
    2,562
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this an appropriate time to open a debate about who is a "bicyclist"?

  10. #10
    www.theheadbadge.com cudak888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern Florida
    My Bikes
    http://www.theheadbadge.com
    Posts
    22,730
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mos6502 View Post
    Is this an appropriate time to open a debate about who is a "bicyclist"?
    Absolutely not. This is A&S.

    -Kurt

  11. #11
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I gather the cyclist was running a roadblock when hit. While that's no reason to hit her with a truck, I highly doubt hitting her was a deliberate act on the part of the driver.

    I wouldn't have tried to run the roadblock. Would she have tried to run the roadblock if she were driving a car?

  12. #12
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterRun View Post
    From what I gather the cyclist was running a roadblock when hit. While that's no reason to hit her with a truck, I highly doubt hitting her was a deliberate act on the part of the driver.

    I wouldn't have tried to run the roadblock. Would she have tried to run the roadblock if she were driving a car?
    The way I understand things from the limited info, was that the road block was suppose to be the 5 ton truck that ran over her. And since the truck was still moving and did not have emergency lights, I fail to see how it actually established a road block.

  13. #13
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris516 View Post
    The problem withe facts about the incident is some of the local news outlets were saying:

    1. It was a pedestrian, others said it was a cyclist
    2. The vehicle involved was two tons, others were saying it was five tons
    There is a suggestion that she might have been walking her bike.

  14. #14
    Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped. BarracksSi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?
    Posts
    13,858
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen people try to cross the street when every swingin' thing is being directed by police to stay on the sidewalk before a presidential motorcade hustles through. You'd think that something unusual is going on when you walk to Pennsylvania Ave. and you see people standing around and absolutely ZERO traffic on the street, right?

    How she could miss seeing a 5-ton is beyond me -- I don't think they were blasting through at fifty miles an hour. This is a hard way to be reminded of what your mother told you: "Look both ways before crossing the street."

    *edit* and, yes, I know that this accident wasn't on Penn Ave. My point is that people can be totally oblivious to stationary crowds, blocked traffic, and a large police presence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •