Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-10, 05:40 PM   #1
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,718
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
What would you do?

Last night I found myself in a situation I hadn't planned on, and was a bit torn between politeness and concern for public safety. I think I made the wrong choice, but that probably would have been the case no matter what I did.

There's an overlook at the top of Lake Washington Boulevard, with a bench, stone wall, garden, and a view of the lake with a neighboring city for a backdrop, and the mountains off at the horizon. I like the spot quite a bit, and only live a few miles away, so when I have time, I enjoy heading out this way, either as part of a longer ride, or for a bit of quick exercise after work.

I took a seat at the bench, enjoying the view and some bread and cheese, when a truck pulled up and parked. There's absolutely no parking here, so this already caught my attention. Two ladies jumped out, talking about the best view around ... one walked over to within a few feet of me, without actually seeing me sitting there, dropped her pants, and let loose. I turned away out of politeness, and heard a torrent of water that would put Niagra Falls to shame. The other lady had disappeared behind a bush for a moment.

The lady noticed me as she left, and said "... alcohol ..." after an awkward pause, in a "that explains everything" sort of way. Then she told her friend "That guy just watched me pee," both of them giggling. Then they got back in the truck and left, following a not-very-straight line. Clearly, the passenger wasn't the only one who'd had a lot to drink that night.

I didn't bring my cell phone with me on the ride, which I guess is mistake #1. Nor did I get their plates. So our story ends here.

What would you have done? Am I wrong to think the driver was almost certainly intoxicated, and didn't belong on the roads? In my shoes, would you have taken down the license plate numbers and called the police when you passed a phone? Or would you see that as jumping to histrionic conclusions and forcing yourself into other peoples' business? I'm sure I'll regret asking, but I've been wondering what I 'should' have done...?
Seattle Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 05:42 PM   #2
mercator
In the wind
 
mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT
Posts: 898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sounds like a good intro to a penthouse letter...
mercator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 05:49 PM   #3
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,718
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Imagine two loafs of bread, fighting over a hair raccoon's tail.

Sorry.
Seattle Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 06:16 PM   #4
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
If you do not get a plate # and report them, do not be surprised when they run you off the road sometime in the future.

I have called a company president about an employee (that lives near me), driving drunk in a company truck. He lost the home use of the company truck for many years.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 06:36 PM   #5
Raiden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central CA
Bikes: Fuji SST, Cotic Roadrat, Bianchi SASS, a bunch of others
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
I have called a company president about an employee (that lives near me), driving drunk in a company truck. He lost the home use of the company truck for many years.
That's totally cool with me- a wrecked truck (hopefully that's the worst of the damage) hurts the company and its employees as well.
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 08:01 PM   #6
thompsonpost
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercator View Post
Sounds like a good intro to a penthouse letter...
Sounds like a couple of "girls" I don't ever want to meet. Ever.

Last edited by thompsonpost; 04-22-10 at 08:09 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 08:57 PM   #7
ilmooz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Were these two of the Kardashians, by any chance?

Call 911 and report it. That gives police cause to stop the vehicle if they see it and determine if further action is warranted.
ilmooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 09:02 PM   #8
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas
 
10 Wheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In The Wind
Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Posts: 29,714
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Nutten Honey
__________________
[SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 09:35 PM   #9
GraysonPeddie
Senior Member
 
GraysonPeddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL 32304, USA
Bikes: Trek Pure Trike (recently bought)
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate to offend those two women, but those two are idiots...

I'm telling you, man... Have your cell phone with you no matter where you're at. This is just stupid...

I'm sorry I shouldn't have said that but my mind just went nuts.
GraysonPeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-10, 11:17 PM   #10
adaminlc
Senior Member
 
adaminlc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Bikes: 2007 Surly Cross Check, 199? Novara Alpine
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have reported drunk drivers lots of times. Had some frat boys practically pull up in my yard while they stopped to try to figure out where they were going. They were all smashed, and the cops caught them within a few blocks. Taking a drunk driver off the road is always a good idea.
adaminlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 11:47 AM   #11
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,718
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Thanks, everyone, for confirming my gut feeling that I really was in the wrong here. I stuffed a pen and sticky-pad in my saddle bag, and will start making a point of always bringing my cell phone with me on rides. More importantly, I'll listen to my gut before it's too late, if there's a next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
If you do not get a plate # and report them, do not be surprised when they run you off the road sometime in the future.
Or run somebody else off the road, when I might have prevented it ... which would make me feel a lot more guilty.
Seattle Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:11 PM   #12
thompsonpost
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Last night I found myself in a situation I hadn't planned on, and was a bit torn between politeness and concern for public safety. I think I made the wrong choice, but that probably would have been the case no matter what I did.

There's an overlook at the top of Lake Washington Boulevard, with a bench, stone wall, garden, and a view of the lake with a neighboring city for a backdrop, and the mountains off at the horizon. I like the spot quite a bit, and only live a few miles away, so when I have time, I enjoy heading out this way, either as part of a longer ride, or for a bit of quick exercise after work.

I took a seat at the bench, enjoying the view and some bread and cheese, when a truck pulled up and parked. There's absolutely no parking here, so this already caught my attention. Two ladies jumped out, talking about the best view around ... one walked over to within a few feet of me, without actually seeing me sitting there, dropped her pants, and let loose. I turned away out of politeness, and heard a torrent of water that would put Niagra Falls to shame. The other lady had disappeared behind a bush for a moment.

The lady noticed me as she left, and said "... alcohol ..." after an awkward pause, in a "that explains everything" sort of way. Then she told her friend "That guy just watched me pee," both of them giggling. Then they got back in the truck and left, following a not-very-straight line. Clearly, the passenger wasn't the only one who'd had a lot to drink that night.

I didn't bring my cell phone with me on the ride, which I guess is mistake #1. Nor did I get their plates. So our story ends here.

What would you have done? Am I wrong to think the driver was almost certainly intoxicated, and didn't belong on the roads? In my shoes, would you have taken down the license plate numbers and called the police when you passed a phone? Or would you see that as jumping to histrionic conclusions and forcing yourself into other peoples' business? I'm sure I'll regret asking, but I've been wondering what I 'should' have done...?
Just curious, here. Is that the intersection at Madrona and Lk Washington Blvd?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:17 PM   #13
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 13,718
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
It was up the hill a bit, at the intersection of Lake Wash and Hillside.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...02658&t=h&z=19
Seattle Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:22 PM   #14
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I would have called it in merely for the possibility that those two might be the type to make their own call that you were "peeping" at them while they went.
__________________
Silver Eagle Pilot
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:28 PM   #15
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Call it in now, with the description that you have. No reason why you shouldn't, even if it was yesterday.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 12:30 PM   #16
thompsonpost
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
It was up the hill a bit, at the intersection of Lake Wash and Hillside.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...02658&t=h&z=19
Yeah, that's pretty blatant. I'd have snitched.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-10, 07:29 PM   #17
digibud
Senior Member
 
digibud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Further North than U
Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs
Posts: 1,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If I had seen her weaving dangerously I would have called it with a cell phone. Without it...nothing to do but pedal on....
digibud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53 PM.