Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-10, 07:23 PM   #1
009jim
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
009jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Bikes: Giant CRX3, Trek 7100
Posts: 1,288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
deluded cyclists??

Can anyone put some light on this situation I found myself in. It was a few months ago. I'm a commuter cyclist. Every day, rain or shine, I love my ride to work. I also occasionally go out socially with friends. However, in my little car one day I was driving to the university for a swim and there was a cyclist in front of me riding in the middle of the road. I wondered what to do and figured he had some sort of anti-social problem. I pulled out very wide and passed him (plenty of clearance). After I passed him I moved to the correct side of the road, which still left him ample room. Then I came to a speed bump and slowed down to go over it. The cyclist came up behind me and started screaming "f**k, f**k, f**k". Now, I didn't brake suddenly as I knew the dude was there somewhere, also there was a heap of room if this dude had wanted to go past me (but no - he couldn't ride in the middle of the road any more). So what was the dude's problem. Did he think he was someone real special and no-one was allowed to pass him? Did he consider himself owner of that road? I couldn't work it out. Now last week, I was driving nowhere near the university and there was a cyclist in the middle of the road in front of me. I noticed this dude had on "University of Queensland" on his knickers. Are these university cyclists in some deluded state of mind?
009jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 07:49 PM   #2
Dchiefransom
Senior Member
 
Dchiefransom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 6,205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
You're supposed to slow down for him, but he doesn't have to slow down for you. Part of the unofficial cyclist mantra.
__________________
Silver Eagle Pilot
Dchiefransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 10:22 PM   #3
Raiden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central CA
Bikes: Fuji SST, Cotic Roadrat, Bianchi SASS, a bunch of others
Posts: 1,393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We can't tell distances and speeds from this side of the internet, but if you two were still so close that he had to slow down while you went over the speed bump, why did you bother passing him? If this is a road through a school with speed bumps on it and fairly narrow lanes, perhaps the cyclists have judged the lanes to be too narrow for a car and a bike to exist in the lane, and the road to be too slow for passing to be a productive move?

Just some guesses, aside from 'the cyclist(s) has/have issues'.
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-10, 10:32 PM   #4
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,693
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
We can't tell distances and speeds from this side of the internet, but if you two were still so close that he had to slow down while you went over the speed bump, why did you bother passing him? If this is a road through a school with speed bumps on it and fairly narrow lanes, perhaps the cyclists have judged the lanes to be too narrow for a car and a bike to exist in the lane, and the road to be too slow for passing to be a productive move?

Just some guesses, aside from 'the cyclist(s) has/have issues'.
OK but could he see the speed bump signs from where he started to make the pass?

I tend to agree that if the driver (the OP) knew he was going to slow, then speeding up to pass the cyclist only to slow down in front of the cyclist is rather lame. But if he had no idea the speed bump was there... then it should be no big deal.

To the OP, if you knew you were slowing down for these speed bumps, what you did was the rough equivalent of right hook... where a motorist speeds up, passes a cyclist and then turns right just in front of the cyclist... presenting the cyclist with a "road block" of sorts.

This sort of thing is often done by drivers who "race" cyclists to a stop sign... jeeze, the motorist was going to stop anyway, so why the pass just moments before the stop? We cyclists find it annoying and frustrating. Put yourself in the cyclists place and consider what you would think of that action.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 11:16 AM   #5
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA
 
jefferee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kitchener, ON
Bikes:
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My thoughts:

Regarding cyclists "in the middle of the road"--it's often necessary for cyclists to ride some distance away from the side of the road due to debris, potholes, drains or even to discourage motorists from squeezing by if a lane is too narrow for a bike and motor vehicle to share. I'll head for the curb and let motorists go by when it's safe for me to do so, but sometimes they're just going to have to wait.

As for the speed bumps--there are a few on one of my routes that I can take considerably faster on the bike than motorists tend to do in their cars. It is moderately annoying to be passed just before a speed bump, when I know that I will be forced to hit the brakes a couple of seconds later when the motorist slows down for the bump. But I tend to save my voice for yelling at motorists who do things that are genuinely dangerous rather than a slight annoyance.
jefferee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 11:24 AM   #6
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,547
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Troll. He did a "speed as fast as I can to get in front of a cyclist and then slam on the brakes." Typically done 50 feet before a stop sign.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 11:34 AM   #7
daven1986
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd have sworn at you if you had overtaken me while I was clearly taking the lane for some reason, only to have you immediately slow down in front of me. You should have just waited really.
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 11:48 AM   #8
joel.recla
JR
 
joel.recla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Bikes: Jamis Dakar XC an a Raleigh Technium
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was a mountain biker for the longest time in northern wisconsin. I could go for hours on the trails without seein a car. I recently moved to Eau claire Wisconsin. It's not a very big city but it's mostly road bikes down here, so I jumped on the band wagon and bought. In my short time here with these guys I have noticed that the so called " pros" think they own the road. Now I beleive that on a bike u hold some special needs on the roads, but cars happen to be bigger and the roads are built for them. So as a fellow rider you're just gunna have to learn to live with it, but as a car owner. I'll give ya room, but when ur on the road, u need to watch the cars.
joel.recla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 11:50 AM   #9
kludgefudge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Bikes: late 80's bianchi campion d'italia, early 90's trek 2100, early 90's shogun selectra, mid 90's aluminum marin xcMTB, dept. store grade but upgraded columbia double eagle tandem
Posts: 437
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kludgefudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 12:52 PM   #10
Keithmj
Bus Driver
 
Keithmj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida
Bikes: Trek 1.2 Trek 7.2FX Troker single speed.
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't checked the other states but in Florida if the road's lane isn't wide enough for a car and a bicycle side by side and the car to give the required three feet distance the law says that the bicycle can take the whole lane, it is even safer that way for the cyclist. Even so the car must yeild to a bicycle..Cheers.
Keithmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 03:48 PM   #11
jrich179
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deluded cyclist population?? More like diluted cyclist population if you keep driving a car about
jrich179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 03:59 PM   #12
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com
 
cudak888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Southern Florida
Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com
Posts: 22,744
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aussie poster. 'Nuff said.

-Kurt
__________________
cudak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 04:55 PM   #13
robertv
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 438
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haha, drivers in Australia tend to be a little nasty to cyclists. Many of the cyclists here seem to have developed a very hostile attitude to cars as a result. It could just be that your cyclist was feeling a bit hostile that day. Cars pass me all the time and then slow down for whatever reason. While I would like it if they didn't do that I don't think theres much I can do. It certainly not the thing that I'm gonna waste my energy throwing a hissy fit about. If you nearly run me over, then I might lose it.
Hell, ANYTIME a car passes me with anything resembling clearance room I'm usually pretty damn happy.
robertv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 06:17 PM   #14
wheel
Senior Member
 
wheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Crystal MN
Bikes:
Posts: 2,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009jim View Post
"I'm a commuter cyclist."
"Every day, rain or shine, I love my ride to work."
" in front of me riding in the middle of the road."
"I wondered what to do"
" figured he had some sort of anti-social problem."
"I knew the dude was there somewhere"
there was a heap of room if this dude had wanted to go past me"
" So what was the dude's problem."
"Did he think he was someone real special and no-one was allowed to pass him?"
" Did he consider himself owner of that road?"
" I couldn't work it out. "
"Now last week, I was driving nowhere near the university"
" Are these university cyclists in some deluded state of mind?"
Good day troll.
wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-10, 10:09 PM   #15
joel.recla
JR
 
joel.recla's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Bikes: Jamis Dakar XC an a Raleigh Technium
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today I was ridin down the trail, and there was a bit of traffic jam. I slowed down, and everybody was confused so I looked around and there was a car trying to fit down the trail. I have no idea why u would asume a 4 ft wide trail was a road.
joel.recla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 07:00 AM   #16
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your actions, though legal as presented, were incompetent.

A competent driver on a familiar route would have considered the speed bump and hung back.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 07:33 AM   #17
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,693
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
I notice 009jim has not come back to respond to his thread.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 08:08 AM   #18
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
jeeze, the motorist was going to stop anyway, so why the pass just moments before the stop? We cyclists find it annoying and frustrating. Put yourself in the cyclists place and consider what you would think of that action.
And so was the cyclist. But leaving the stop sign, a motorist can continue at normal driving speeds if he makes it to the stop sign first rather than having to pass the cyclist after the stop sign. I ride on a neighborhood feeder street with stop signs every 2-3 blocks or so. Normal speed limit is 30. If I'm doing 20 on the bike, there is barely enough room for a car to pass me before the next stop sign. I can see where the driver wouldn't want to be "stuck" behind a cyclist all the way down though.

(Being the "coopertive vehicular cyclist" that I am, I usally pull far to the right and coast to let the driver know I'm inviting a pass. But I can see where other cyclists would try to occupy the traffic lane since they are almost as fast as the normal traffic speed.)

As I'm writing this, I'm forming a thought about the relative points of view between a cyclist and a driver in this situation. The car is easily capable of going faster than the cyclist, and even if the cyclist is not causing a significant delay, a driver may want to pass simply because cyclists are by and large less predictable than cars when in traffic, so riding in the vicinity of a bicycle seems like a risky situation to a driver and he wants to get away from that sitiuation as quickly as possible.

The cyclist looks at that delay as insignificant and doesn't see what the big hurry is for the car. Additionally, the cyclist prefers the front position because he does not necessarily fully stop at the stop signs (or maybe doesn't stop at all) and wants to conserve momentum through the stop signs. A car coming to a full stop is actualy impeding such a cyclist.

The point is that there are different perspectives between drivers and cyclists. Both lines of reasoning have flaws which are made worse by egos. The bigger the ego, the more the sense of entitlement with respect to giving the self priority and maybe bending traffic rules to assert that priority.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 09:08 AM   #19
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,693
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
And so was the cyclist. But leaving the stop sign, a motorist can continue at normal driving speeds if he makes it to the stop sign first rather than having to pass the cyclist after the stop sign. I ride on a neighborhood feeder street with stop signs every 2-3 blocks or so. Normal speed limit is 30. If I'm doing 20 on the bike, there is barely enough room for a car to pass me before the next stop sign. I can see where the driver wouldn't want to be "stuck" behind a cyclist all the way down though.

(Being the "coopertive vehicular cyclist" that I am, I usally pull far to the right and coast to let the driver know I'm inviting a pass. But I can see where other cyclists would try to occupy the traffic lane since they are almost as fast as the normal traffic speed.)

As I'm writing this, I'm forming a thought about the relative points of view between a cyclist and a driver in this situation. The car is easily capable of going faster than the cyclist, and even if the cyclist is not causing a significant delay, a driver may want to pass simply because cyclists are by and large less predictable than cars when in traffic, so riding in the vicinity of a bicycle seems like a risky situation to a driver and he wants to get away from that sitiuation as quickly as possible.

The cyclist looks at that delay as insignificant and doesn't see what the big hurry is for the car. Additionally, the cyclist prefers the front position because he does not necessarily fully stop at the stop signs (or maybe doesn't stop at all) and wants to conserve momentum through the stop signs. A car coming to a full stop is actualy impeding such a cyclist.

The point is that there are different perspectives between drivers and cyclists. Both lines of reasoning have flaws which are made worse by egos. The bigger the ego, the more the sense of entitlement with respect to giving the self priority and maybe bending traffic rules to assert that priority.
Being both a driver (I was only car free for 7 years) and cyclist, I see that far too many motorists tend to be impatient and often try to "take advantage" of what ever situation they can, rather than queue up and follow the laws. This behavior is often demonstrated by motorists failing to actually stop at red lights before turning (and now we have signs that say "turning vehicles must stop for pedestrians") and by motorists that pass cyclists and then right hook them.

Frankly as a cyclist I have been in a situation where I have taken the lane on a local, narrow, parked car lined, low speed residential street, with speed bumps, only to have a motorist overtake me, and pass me by crossing a double yellow; then move to the far right to stop at a light behind traffic already there. I was positioned to go straight at the light. The motorist gained nothing, but put both himself and me in a dangerous situation by making such a pass.

Such a useless and aggressive pass is a prime example of what I am speaking.

In the example you give, it all comes down to whether there is enough room to safely pass. Also if you as a cyclist are doing 20MPH, there is a good chance that between acceleration and deceleration of the motor vehicle, your bike speed IS the average speed of the motorist. Also bear in mind that just because a road is posted 30MPH, doesn't mean you HAVE to go 30MPH. Far too often motorists feel that speed limit is the "required speed."

I have often had motorists pass me on 35MPH arterial roads only to wait at the light, while I come cruising up right behind them. The motorist works to race to the light, and then stop, but in reality their average speed is no greater than mine. They gain nothing but more waiting time by "racing" past me.

Now that all said, I agree that a cyclist should be cooperative on the road... but I also expect the same of motorists... who should not feel that they have any "priority" over the use of any road.

In the example given by the OP, he basically pulled in front of the cyclist and "cut off" the cyclist. I have a feeling he would quite object to that behavior if another motorist had done it to him.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 09:58 AM   #20
noisebeam
Al
 
noisebeam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AZ
Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex
Posts: 14,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
On 25mph posted roads with speed bumps I get stuck behind motorists.
noisebeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 10:17 AM   #21
daven1986
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: UK
Bikes:
Posts: 2,324
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
On 25mph posted roads with speed bumps I get stuck behind motorists.
Yeah on some roads with speed bumps I get stuck behind cars. What I find amusing is that if we slowed them down, even a bit, they'd toot us.
daven1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 11:32 AM   #22
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
Frankly as a cyclist I have been in a situation where I have taken the lane on a local, narrow, parked car lined, low speed residential street, with speed bumps, only to have a motorist overtake me, and pass me by crossing a double yellow; then move to the far right to stop at a light behind traffic already there. I was positioned to go straight at the light. The motorist gained nothing, but put both himself and me in a dangerous situation by making such a pass.
He gained the assurance of being able to pull away from you after the light turns green instead of maybe being stuck behind you.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 11:46 AM   #23
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,693
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
He gained the assurance of being able to pull away from you after the light turns green instead of maybe being stuck behind you.
The fact is that I was able to go before he was... he had to wait for a right turning motorist. He gained no such assurance.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-10, 11:55 AM   #24
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Oh... you're in CA. You can lane split.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-10, 11:28 AM   #25
sm1960
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 248
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread reminds me of the spandex elitist I see on the way home sometimes. The road has 3ft shoulders that are pretty clean with moderate 40mph traffic, but he always takes a good 2-3ft of road, backing up cars. Legal...sure, courteous...No.
sm1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:12 PM.