Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 60
  1. #1
    Senior Member spooner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Officers seek bicyclists who hit toddler

    http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/loc...ter-state-park
    CLEVELAND - Officers are looking for two hit-and-run bicyclists who apparently hit a toddler at Edgewater State Park last week.

    The Ohio Department of Natural Resources said two men were riding bikes on the bike path in the Upper Edgewater Park area near the playground when they ran into a 3-year-old boy who was walking with his parents. It happened at about 6 p.m. on Friday, July 30.

    The ODNR said the collision broke the childís femur and caused him to get some cuts on his face and head.

    Officials said one of the males was wearing an orange shirt, and the other was wearing a gray shirt.

    Just before the incident, the ODNR said one of the men yelled, "Watch out, I donít have any brakes."

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,794
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And hitting the child didn't even slow them down? Public caning.

    And point of order -- they're not MEN. They're punks.

  3. #3
    Conservative Hippie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Wakulla Co. FL
    Posts
    4,271
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When they find 'em, they need to break some femurs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Crystal MN
    Posts
    2,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting enough cyclists hit the boy. Rather than a bicycle hit the boy. The sure don't have a problem stating a car hit the cyclist.
    My Youtube Cycling Videos Here

  5. #5
    Senior Member Chicago Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, the leafy NW side
    Posts
    2,084
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, yeah, well motorists hit people all the time, why blame the cyclist? The boy shouldn't have been there, they had the right of way!

    Yes, this is sarcasm, though it's not far from some of the commentary we get here.

    Watch out, I don't have any brakes = Watch out, I don't have any brains.
    I never think I have hit hard, unless it rebounds.

    - Dr Samuel Johnson

  6. #6
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,078
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but it was an accident, right?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Geo Cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada (1.5 hours drive North of Toronto)
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chicken S@#$s first a toddler is not that big if you don't have breaks can you not veer? Secondly it is a toddler if you cannot stop take on for the team and drop the bike and deal with some road rash for a couple weeks. Either way, sounds like punks, with no concept of morality or honour, and definitely no sense of compassion. if a car did that to a person they would be jailed, we advocate our right to the roads so in sense we should accept the same punishment a hitt an run driver would have put them in jail. A few months with bubba in the top bunk might make them think twice
    Geo

    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" - Albert Einstein

    www.CruiserSports.com

    1941 CCM Rambler
    1969 CCM Mustang
    1983 CCM Team 3200
    2010 Custom build road bike

  8. #8
    Senior Member Geo Cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada (1.5 hours drive North of Toronto)
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    but it was an accident, right?
    Accident or not it is hit and run, if a car hit a run the kid and he suffered the same injury the motorist would probably do time or atleats some sort of legal penalty that is simple because he failed to remain at the scene of an accident.
    Geo

    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" - Albert Einstein

    www.CruiserSports.com

    1941 CCM Rambler
    1969 CCM Mustang
    1983 CCM Team 3200
    2010 Custom build road bike

  9. #9
    Senior Member KD5NRH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stephenville TX
    Posts
    1,603
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Things like this are why my walking boots are steel-toed; I'd have no fear of damage to my foot from wedging it into that guy's spokes.

    If he was riding a MUP with no brakes intentionally, he should have expected something like this. If he somehow lost both cables at the same time, even the narrowest road bike tires can handle going off into the grass to slow down without complete loss of control.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    690
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who rides with no brakes? Fixed-gear riders?

  11. #11
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,102
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Al View Post
    Oh, yeah, well motorists hit people all the time, why blame the cyclist? The boy shouldn't have been there, they had the right of way!

    Yes, this is sarcasm, though it's not far from some of the commentary we get here.

    Watch out, I don't have any brakes = Watch out, I don't have any brains.
    Just because some have pointed out your bad driving around cyclist and your MUP oriented ideas of how road cyclist should ride, is no reason for your obnoxious comment in this thread when NO ONE else has made a comment even remotely similar to yours.

  12. #12
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,102
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneez View Post
    Who rides with no brakes? Fixed-gear riders?
    Do you really think it was a fixed-gear cyclist? All the fixed- gear cyclist I know, consider their legs to be brakes, even if YOU do not like it.

  13. #13
    Powerful-Ugly Creature Greyryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    569
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneez View Post
    Who rides with no brakes? Fixed-gear riders?
    The brakeless fad has been going strong in freestyle BMX for about 15 years now. I saw a guy last year, Fred Flintstoning it, barely get slowed down enough to make his corner. I don't think the stop sign he blew through was ever even a consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    When some wild eyed eight foot tall maniac grabs you by the throat and taps the back of your favorite head head against the barroom wall, and he looks crooked in the eye, and he ask you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    Posts
    4,353
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo Cruise View Post
    ...if a car did that to a person they would be jailed, we advocate our right to the roads so in sense we should accept the same punishment a hitt an run driver would have put them in jail. A few months with bubba in the top bunk might make them think twice
    Don't be so sure. Check this out from my local paper recently: http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms...ane-likely.csp

    Summary: A VERY drunk driver struck and killed a homeless man who was walking with all his possessions in a shopping cart. The drunk left the scene and was later found passed out in his vehicle. In spite of laws mandating prison time (the result of previous deaths of this sort near here), the judge gave the killer no prison time, just twenty days in county lock-up, which will probably be "served" by doing a bit of litter collection.

    I'm betting that these punks, if caught, get quite a bit harsher treatment by the legal system than the typical motoring scofflaw gets. And they will have earned every bit of it.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    397
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets not forget that judges like kids more then bums.

  16. #16
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo Cruise View Post
    Accident or not it is hit and run, if a car hit a run the kid and he suffered the same injury the motorist would probably do time or at least some sort of legal penalty that is simple because he failed to remain at the scene of an accident.
    But I would bet that if a car (motorist) hit a cyclist in that same community, no one would bat an eye. They might even "blame" the cyclist because they were "riding in the street." But a walking on a "bike path" (as stated in the OP) and get hit by a bike... the "blame" still goes to the cyclist... go figure.

  17. #17
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Do you really think it was a fixed-gear cyclist? All the fixed- gear cyclist I know, consider their legs to be brakes, even if YOU do not like it.
    Yeah, if they are truly riding fixies... I have noticed wannabe fixie riders that have freewheel hubs on their bikes, so they coast, and yet still have no brakes. Real idiots trying to be stylish!

  18. #18
    Senior Member Geo Cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada (1.5 hours drive North of Toronto)
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Yeah, if they are truly riding fixies... I have noticed wannabe fixie riders that have freewheel hubs on their bikes, so they coast, and yet still have no brakes. Real idiots trying to be stylish!
    I have heard "Real Fixies Don't Have Breaks" with I think is nothing more than a lot of male bravado hogwash to possibly compensate for other deficiencies between their legs.
    Geo

    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" - Albert Einstein

    www.CruiserSports.com

    1941 CCM Rambler
    1969 CCM Mustang
    1983 CCM Team 3200
    2010 Custom build road bike

  19. #19
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    22,378
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo Cruise View Post
    I have heard "Real Fixies Don't Have Breaks" with I think is nothing more than a lot of male bravado hogwash to possibly compensate for other deficiencies between their legs.
    Yeah but real fixie riders can brake with their legs, and typically do, as CBHI noted... it is the wannabe fixies that are the problem.

    It isn't bravado hogwash unless it is for some stylish fad and no other reason... real fixies are track bikes and there is a direct connection between the crank and the rear wheel, with NO freewheel. You stop pedaling and the bike stops. (the effect is a bit more intense than that... )

  20. #20
    Senior Member Geo Cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada (1.5 hours drive North of Toronto)
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    Yeah but real fixie riders can brake with their legs, and typically do, as CBHI noted... it is the wannabe fixies that are the problem.

    It isn't bravado hogwash unless it is for some stylish fad and no other reason... real fixies are track bikes and there is a direct connection between the crank and the rear wheel, with NO freewheel. You stop pedaling and the bike stops. (the effect is a bit more intense than that... )
    yeah but on track is far different than flying through town, a bike should have proper brakes in an urban environment, I lost count a long time ago how many times I have had to lock up my breaks to avoid being hit or side swiped or have someone run out in front of me, to me is seems irresponsible, and I know the don't have a free wheel but most braking is done by the front wheel to begin with and even without a free hub I don't think you can stop as fast as needed in urban environments.
    Geo

    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" - Albert Einstein

    www.CruiserSports.com

    1941 CCM Rambler
    1969 CCM Mustang
    1983 CCM Team 3200
    2010 Custom build road bike

  21. #21
    Senior Member gcottay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Green Valley AZ
    My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Posts
    3,772
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope leaders of Cleveland bike clubs will get publicly involved in the search.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

  22. #22
    Crankenstein bmclaughlin807's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Spokane
    My Bikes
    Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)
    Posts
    4,039
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo Cruise View Post
    yeah but on track is far different than flying through town, a bike should have proper brakes in an urban environment, I lost count a long time ago how many times I have had to lock up my breaks to avoid being hit or side swiped or have someone run out in front of me, to me is seems irresponsible, and I know the don't have a free wheel but most braking is done by the front wheel to begin with and even without a free hub I don't think you can stop as fast as needed in urban environments.
    I can't remember the last time I had to lock up my brakes to avoid being hit... It all depends on your riding style... but almost all accidents can be avoided without emergency braking if you're paying attention far enough ahead..... hell, my brakes are so out of adjustment right now I don't think I could make the wheels skid if I wanted to.
    "There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson

  23. #23
    Senior Member Geo Cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada (1.5 hours drive North of Toronto)
    Posts
    205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807 View Post
    I can't remember the last time I had to lock up my brakes to avoid being hit... It all depends on your riding style... but almost all accidents can be avoided without emergency braking if you're paying attention far enough ahead..... hell, my brakes are so out of adjustment right now I don't think I could make the wheels skid if I wanted to.
    on side streets here for some reason people don't tell their kids not to run out into the middle of the road , a few days ago I locked my wheels up because a child, maybe 4 years old ran right in front of me from in front of a parked car, I couldn't see him until he was in my path. but I was able to to veer and stop fast enough that I gave us both a mild heart attack and then continued on my way. That is the most I get or a car coming from behind me as we going into a intersection and the try to speed up to get in front of me and turn right , that happens a lot when I am downtown.
    Geo

    "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving" - Albert Einstein

    www.CruiserSports.com

    1941 CCM Rambler
    1969 CCM Mustang
    1983 CCM Team 3200
    2010 Custom build road bike

  24. #24
    Randomhead
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    12,078
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gcottay View Post
    I hope leaders of Cleveland bike clubs will get publicly involved in the search.
    I sincerely doubt that anyone in the bike club has ever had contact with these people. They didn't even try to say what kind of bike these people were riding, seems like a simple detail that would help find them. And since they almost surely were not on fixed gear, it would probably cut down on the speculation in A&S.

  25. #25
    Senior Member Chicago Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, the leafy NW side
    Posts
    2,084
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    I sincerely doubt that anyone in the bike club has ever had contact with these people. They didn't even try to say what kind of bike these people were riding, seems like a simple detail that would help find them. And since they almost surely were not on fixed gear, it would probably cut down on the speculation in A&S.
    That's why the local bike clubs should get involved. Obviously clowns like this were not members of a cycling club, but maybe one of their riders saw the cyclists in question on the path and can provide information...like what kind of bike they were riding. And if they are public about it maybe that will get the attention of riders who are not members who could also come forward with helpful information. At the least if they are publicly involved it may help to ameliorate the PR damage that incidents like this do to cyclists in a community. Like it or not this kind of thing sets back the 'cause' of cycling for all of us.

    There is, unbelievably, someone on the comments board of the news article linked above saying 'what was the boy doing on the bike path?' I wish I was kidding.

    [edit to add: I see genec has the same question, phrased a little differently. Nice.]

    Why would you expect members of the general public, especially parents of a toddler who has been hurt, to identify what kind of bike hit their kid?

    And if 'they almost surely were not on fixed gear,' what kind of brakeless bike were they 'almost surely' on?
    Last edited by Chicago Al; 08-03-10 at 11:04 AM.
    I never think I have hit hard, unless it rebounds.

    - Dr Samuel Johnson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •