Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-17-10, 09:46 PM   #1
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
Thread Starter
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Blue wall of silence?

I quick scanned, but didn't see this anywhere, so sorry if it's a re-post.

Cop kills teen, no breathalyzer done

More from google news
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 01:38 AM   #2
Chris516
24-Speed Machine
 
Chris516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wash. Grove, MD
Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
Posts: 6,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian View Post
I quick scanned, but didn't see this anywhere, so sorry if it's a re-post.

Cop kills teen, no breathalyzer done

More from google news
Thank you for posting this. It is surprising how many officers will not cross the 'thin blue line', when one of their own is the cause of the problem.
Chris516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 06:56 AM   #3
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Back. Here.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Note that one of the responding officers was the officer-in-question's father.

Don't expect much.
Pedaleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 09:36 AM   #4
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
Thread Starter
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will the state police investigate like they should or will they do a token investigation before closing it out? A public official needs to take up the cause and call for a public inquiry of the police's handling of the investigation. You can't be objective when you're investigating yourself.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 09:46 AM   #5
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
He said that Koistinen never saw Dang because the bicycle had no reflectors or lights on it.
Riding after midnight with no lights or reflectors is essentially a death sentence. Not smart.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 09:57 AM   #6
oban_kobi
Senior Member
 
oban_kobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"He said that Koistinen never saw Dang because the bicycle had no reflectors or lights on it."

Even if the officer wasn't drunk, how was he supposed to see the guy? Even on my bike I only see light-less folks about 100 or so feet away, maybe. Not enough time to do much when in a car. The officer should definitely be tested, but the cyclist definitely takes some of the blame.
oban_kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 10:09 AM   #7
JamieElenbaas
enthusiast
 
JamieElenbaas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southern Mississippi for the time being.
Bikes: 2010 BMC SL 01 Roadracer, 2012 Davidson Tandem
Posts: 509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
"He said that Koistinen never saw Dang because the bicycle had no reflectors or lights on it."

Even if the officer wasn't drunk, how was he supposed to see the guy? Even on my bike I only see light-less folks about 100 or so feet away, maybe. Not enough time to do much when in a car. The officer should definitely be tested, but the cyclist definitely takes some of the blame.
Unless, of course there were lights and reflectors on the bike. Don't be surprised to learn that not all statements by cops about cops are fully truthful or that evidence against cops isn't sometimes 'altered' to cover up cop misbehavior. Yes, I don't trust cops.
JamieElenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 10:14 AM   #8
mnemia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowandsteady View Post
Riding after midnight with no lights or reflectors is essentially a death sentence. Not smart.
Yes, not smart. Unless that is a total lie being told by the cops to cover up their fault in the accident.
mnemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 10:15 AM   #9
oban_kobi
Senior Member
 
oban_kobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: California
Bikes: Trek 7.2 FX, Custom Vintage FG
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieElenbaas View Post
Unless, of course there were lights and reflectors on the bike. Don't be surprised to learn that not all statements by cops about cops are fully truthful or that evidence against cops isn't sometimes 'altered' to cover up cop misbehavior. Yes, I don't trust cops.
Chances are the cop was telling the truth. Unless you can show evidence to the contrary, his word out weighs your suspicions.
oban_kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 10:22 AM   #10
mnemia
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 747
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oban_kobi View Post
Chances are the cop was telling the truth. Unless you can show evidence to the contrary, his word out weighs your suspicions.
The whole point of this controversy is that people suspect the cop might not be telling the truth and that other cops might be covering for him. If you suspect that already, is it really that much of a stretch to speculate that the cops might also be "bending" other evidence, as well? If it's true that the cop wasn't drunk, and it's true that the bicyclist wasn't riding with reflectors or lights, then he should have welcomed the breathalyzer test as he'd be very unlikely to face any charges. The fact that he wasn't tested is suspicious.

As for the value of the cop's "word", it's not worth any more to me than the "word" of any other suspect in a fatal collision. He's got a lot of motivation to lie, and so his word alone shouldn't be given much weight.
mnemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 11:03 AM   #11
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow
 
slowandsteady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jersey
Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
Posts: 5,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemia View Post
The whole point of this controversy is that people suspect the cop might not be telling the truth and that other cops might be covering for him. If you suspect that already, is it really that much of a stretch to speculate that the cops might also be "bending" other evidence, as well? If it's true that the cop wasn't drunk, and it's true that the bicyclist wasn't riding with reflectors or lights, then he should have welcomed the breathalyzer test as he'd be very unlikely to face any charges. The fact that he wasn't tested is suspicious.

As for the value of the cop's "word", it's not worth any more to me than the "word" of any other suspect in a fatal collision. He's got a lot of motivation to lie, and so his word alone shouldn't be given much weight.

Riding without lights or reflectors in the dark is pretty damn common.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 12:10 PM   #12
trek2.3bike
Senior Member
 
trek2.3bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Bikes: Trek 5.2 and Trek 2.3 WSD upgraded to full Ultegra.
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oban_kobi View Post
"He said that Koistinen never saw Dang because the bicycle had no reflectors or lights on it."
Now you know why every police officer carries a Leatherman tool (with both straight and phillips screwdrives in it).
trek2.3bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 12:11 PM   #13
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For many of the reasons shown in previous posts in many (most?) jurisdictions there's a practice of bringing in another agency in situations like this.
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 12:28 PM   #14
lubes17319
Chronic 1st-timer
 
lubes17319's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lakehood, CO
Bikes: ...take me places.
Posts: 1,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've driven by many ninja cyclists at night.
But haven't run any over.........maybe my headlights are that much better?
lubes17319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 01:44 PM   #15
Sherbona
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubes17319 View Post
I've driven by many ninja cyclists at night.
But haven't run any over.........maybe my headlights are that much better?
I don't understand your point. Are you saying that ninja cyclists are not at greater risk of being hit?
Sherbona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 02:00 PM   #16
dorse
dirt merchant
 
dorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fraser Valley
Bikes: Heckler / Nomad / Blur LT
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think he is saying cops rarely patch two words of truth together.

My apologies to those that do.
dorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 02:11 PM   #17
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Back. Here.
Bikes:
Posts: 2,898
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona View Post
I don't understand your point. Are you saying that ninja cyclists are not at greater risk of being hit?
I think 'lubes' just might be saying that while riding at night without reflectors or lights is a bad idea, that it is still sometimes possible to see and avoid ninjas.

The subtext is that it's probably harder when drunk.
Pedaleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 03:33 PM   #18
atbman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Leeds UK
Bikes:
Posts: 1,970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ninja cyclists are pretty stupid to take the risk, but... isn't it astonishing how many comments are made in the media about how many ninjas people have seen?

Which, by the way, is not to say that the deaths of some ninjas are avoidable. I suspect that such people also ride in other ways which are unwise/illegal, leaping on/off sidewalks, salmoning, shcnign position without looking, etc.
atbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 04:02 PM   #19
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oban_kobi View Post
Chances are the cop was telling the truth. Unless you can show evidence to the contrary, his word out weighs your suspicions.
like ex-officer Pogan?
randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 07:34 PM   #20
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I would not believe the word of a cop investigating a cop.

A Honolulu cop driving DUI way over the limit ran a red light doing around 60 in a 30 mph zone and killed a young woman driving home from work. The first thing the cops did arriving on scene was to call the cop union lawyer to come to the scene. The killer cop was allowed to roam the scene uncuffed. The cops originally claimed the young woman ran a red light and the collision was her fault (luckily 3 witnesses refused to back down about seeing the cop running his red). No field sobriety test. No (official) breath test until 10 hours after the collision. Cops even tried to hide the fact that the official breath test was 10 hours after the collision.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 07:43 PM   #21
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 11,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
PS - Honolulu just threw out over 200 DUI cases headed to trial because cops falsified official reports in an overtime pay scam.

A defense lawyer heard a rumor of the scam and requested the investigation records. Senior cops got the DA to drop the one case to hide the scam. Took a Judge to force cops to release the records to the defense lawyer. Sh*t then hit the fan big time.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 09:32 PM   #22
trek2.3bike
Senior Member
 
trek2.3bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Midwest
Bikes: Trek 5.2 and Trek 2.3 WSD upgraded to full Ultegra.
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thugs in Blue.
trek2.3bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 09:52 PM   #23
Tom Pedale
Senior Member
 
Tom Pedale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Issaquah, WA
Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Currently in Seattle, we have an investigation into the death of John T. Williams, a Native-American wood carver who was walking across an intersection with a piece of wood and a folding knife.

An officer in a patrol car saw this man, stopped his car and got out. He ordered the man to drop his knife. When he did not, he shot him 5 times in the side killing him.

According to the link below, 4 seconds after issuing 3 rapid commands, the officer opened fire. Not only that, but evidence shows that the knife was folded when it hit the pavement.

Many in Seattle are outraged over this senseless killing. If this shooting is judged to be justifiable, there will be a huge outcry in our city.


http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ooting16m.html

Last edited by Tom Pedale; 11-18-10 at 09:55 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Tom Pedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 10:40 PM   #24
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Portland cops kill unarmed black, homeless and mentally handicapped people all the time, and there are rarely any consequences to the officers.
randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 11:02 PM   #25
Tom Pedale
Senior Member
 
Tom Pedale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Issaquah, WA
Bikes: 2006 Specialized Tarmac Expert, 1990 Specialized Allez Epic, Specialized RockCombo (winter), 70's Motobecane Team Champion,
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randya View Post
Portland cops kill unarmed black, homeless and mentally handicapped people all the time, and there are rarely any consequences to the officers.
Unfortunately, when these events occur, it's an unfair fight. Police unions and lawyers pile on the oppressed victims who have no resources to adequately wage a court battle.

"Justice for all" is a slogan without meaning,without context in a society where money will generally win a verdict in your favor.
Tom Pedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 AM.