Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-10, 08:42 PM   #1
dmsaenz
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bike Safety Awareness Survey

I am a student from the University of Houston as well as an avid cyclist. I am conducting a survey to study the connection between a cyclist's experience, background, and current life stage with their bike safety awareness and practices. I would greatly appreciate the participation of any and every individual willing. The survey will be available until December 5th. Thank you for your time and possible contribution to my studies.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/view...FCbmc6MQ#gid=0
dmsaenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 01:28 AM   #2
CritEastwood
aka Jerome
 
CritEastwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado Again
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not bad questions, but I'm sure the nit-pick patrol in A&S would dissect it just the same.
CritEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 08:58 AM   #3
crhilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like a lame goody two shoes now.
crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 10:07 AM   #4
Consularrider
Senior Member
 
Consularrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Arlington, VA
Bikes: Giant Transend, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On a couple of questions it would have been nice to have more than one options (bike and where you ride) since I have a fairly even split.
Consularrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 10:36 AM   #5
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why did you restrict the question about bicycle accident to only include injuries versus the automobile question that was more general?
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 11:08 AM   #6
crhilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yea, I would probably say my riding between solo and big groups is almost evenly split.
crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 11:08 AM   #7
crhilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
Why did you restrict the question about bicycle accident to only include injuries versus the automobile question that was more general?
Because he didn't want to know when you fell over cause you couldn't get your foot out of the pedal?
crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 11:21 AM   #8
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhilton View Post
Because he didn't want to know when you fell over cause you couldn't get your foot out of the pedal?
Okay, but the way the question is phrased it would eliminate accidents that would be covered by the automobile question. Skewing his results.

For instance, as a teenager I was struck by a car while riding my bike near my house. Neither I nor the driver were injured. That would count as an accident under the automobile question but not under the bicycle question. If the OP is in fact conducting research, his/her question has introduced a distortion into the answers, thereby calling the survey's validity into question.
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 11:35 AM   #9
gcottay
Senior Member
 
gcottay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Green Valley AZ
Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is you name and under whose supervision are you conducting this research?
gcottay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 12:44 PM   #10
crhilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
Okay, but the way the question is phrased it would eliminate accidents that would be covered by the automobile question. Skewing his results.

For instance, as a teenager I was struck by a car while riding my bike near my house. Neither I nor the driver were injured. That would count as an accident under the automobile question but not under the bicycle question. If the OP is in fact conducting research, his/her question has introduced a distortion into the answers, thereby calling the survey's validity into question.
I see your point, but that's not all his question misses. There are a number of things that you can't make equal on both sides. Some things that will throw it off:

* Bike slides out, no injury no damage. It's a crash, but it's not big deal.
* Car slides into a snow bank at low speed, no damage, no big deal.
* Bicyclist suffers overuse injury, hardly comparable to a injury car crash.
* Bicyclist crashes with other vehicle and isn't injured.
* Varying definitions of injury.


It's not as simple as comparing crashes to crashes. And if you only compare multi-vehicle crashes it's still not gonna work out. The odds of a minor fender bender sort of thing on a bike seem to be pretty low. Partially because there's no parking lot. Partially because bicyclists so often go in areas with low traffic, where motorists tend to do the opposite (probably not cause they like it).


Changing it to your question would be equally useless. However, at least with his question on it's own you get a number for how long you go between injuries. Unfortunately we're still stuck on the "varying definitions of injury" issue.
crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 12:44 PM   #11
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,975
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
I just want to know the results of the research when you are done. I find it rather annoying that so many students come here, ask for our help and then don't bother informing us of their intentions or results.

Sure it is a school project... but just let us read the paper or see the results or post a picture of your submission, or whatever.

Don't just use us and leave us.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 12:56 PM   #12
myrridin
Banned.
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 2,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhilton View Post
I see your point, but that's not all his question misses. There are a number of things that you can't make equal on both sides. Some things that will throw it off:

* Bike slides out, no injury no damage. It's a crash, but it's not big deal.
* Car slides into a snow bank at low speed, no damage, no big deal.
* Bicyclist suffers overuse injury, hardly comparable to a injury car crash.
* Bicyclist crashes with other vehicle and isn't injured.
* Varying definitions of injury.


It's not as simple as comparing crashes to crashes. And if you only compare multi-vehicle crashes it's still not gonna work out. The odds of a minor fender bender sort of thing on a bike seem to be pretty low. Partially because there's no parking lot. Partially because bicyclists so often go in areas with low traffic, where motorists tend to do the opposite (probably not cause they like it).


Changing it to your question would be equally useless. However, at least with his question on it's own you get a number for how long you go between injuries. Unfortunately we're still stuck on the "varying definitions of injury" issue.
Yes, but if the question concerned injuries, filtering out accidents without injuries (and providing some guidelines or means of estimating the severity of the injury) would need to occur. It is very unclear just what the OP is trying to determine.

The bottom line is that given the context of the OP's post, the inclusion of any information on the automobile seems irrelevant. ie, "...connection between a cyclist's experience, background, and current life stage with their bike safety awareness and practices..."
myrridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 01:09 PM   #13
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique
 
UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I just want to know the results of the research when you are done. I find it rather annoying that so many students come here, ask for our help and then don't bother informing us of their intentions or results.

Sure it is a school project... but just let us read the paper or see the results or post a picture of your submission, or whatever.

Don't just use us and leave us.
I'm currently writing a cycling paper for my class. I'll post it when I'm done.
UnsafeAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 02:10 PM   #14
CB HI
Cycle Year Round
 
CB HI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Honolulu, HI
Bikes:
Posts: 12,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsaenz View Post
current life stage
Interesting new PC term.
__________________
Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.
CB HI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 03:59 PM   #15
drmweaver2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a former academic myself, I AM surprised that, even though already asked, the request for surveyor's identity and affiliation has not been provided already/upfront here in the thread. I'd like to know what class & department, and professor this is being conducted for - not "supervisor" though the prof theoretically is "supervising".

Then again, I never failed to provide this information - so my expectations might be "skewed" by my own experience. Has the Human Subjects office at your university cleared the survey? The purpose statement on the survey is terribly simplistic - "educational purposes"? That covers a wide range of sins.

Last edited by drmweaver2; 11-19-10 at 04:03 PM.
drmweaver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 05:55 PM   #16
CritEastwood
aka Jerome
 
CritEastwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Colorado Again
Bikes: Yes
Posts: 1,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CritEastwood View Post
Not bad questions, but I'm sure the nit-pick patrol in A&S would dissect it just the same.
ummm, yeah
CritEastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 PM.