Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-10, 12:12 AM   #1
mechBgon
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
mechBgon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 6,957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool... a CNN senior video editor's article on going car-free

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/11/19...ex.html?hpt=C2

On the front page of CNN?! Ok, which one of you hacked their servers
mechBgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 12:51 AM   #2
jrich179
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Bikes:
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, I just stumbled upon this..probably around the same time you posted. What's weird is the comments are like a day old (but we're only just now seeing the article) and they're largely PRO-bicycle! ...Well, now that it's on the main page and the weekend's over, expect the usual comments in 4-3-2-....
jrich179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10, 04:31 PM   #3
ianbrettcooper
Senior Member
 
ianbrettcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love some of these comments that say that riding a bike near to 3-ton vehicles is crazy. As if heavy vehicles don't have brakes and steering wheels. Heck, if right of way were dependent on weight, I guess the only sane drivers on the road would be those who drive 18-wheelers. The idea that cyclists shouldn't be on the road is, frankly, stupid.
ianbrettcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 08:52 AM   #4
San Rensho 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 5,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Its all well and good, but the guy bicycles 5 minutes to work. The only way more people are going to commute or use bicycles for everyday errands is to do away with the concept of suburbia, something that is not going to happen soon.
__________________
Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
San Rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 11:43 AM   #5
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,788
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
Its all well and good, but the guy bicycles 5 minutes to work. The only way more people are going to commute or use bicycles for everyday errands is to do away with the concept of suburbia, something that is not going to happen soon.
ouch, 5 minutes... what is that a 15 minute walk.

Although it is only 5 minutes, more importantly he has gone car free... so he has to also deal with transportation issues beyond his "commute."
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10, 07:49 AM   #6
ianbrettcooper
Senior Member
 
ianbrettcooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Rensho View Post
Its all well and good, but the guy bicycles 5 minutes to work. The only way more people are going to commute or use bicycles for everyday errands is to do away with the concept of suburbia, something that is not going to happen soon.
Actually, it is very likely going to happen soon. The recent spike in oil prices and the recession that followed have already reduced the number of motorized vehicles on the road. As it is, with oil prices high and likely to rise even higher due to the 2008 peak in global oil production, suburban commuters are being and will continue to be hardest hit, since they often have larger homes to heat and longer drives to work with little choice in terms of alternate transportation.

I'm considering buying a house next summer, but to be honest I wouldn't buy in suburbia even if they paid me to live there. The smart money folks are selling their suburban homes and moving into (or close to) the city.
ianbrettcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 03:02 PM   #7
crhilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
ouch, 5 minutes... what is that a 15 minute walk.

Although it is only 5 minutes, more importantly he has gone car free... so he has to also deal with transportation issues beyond his "commute."
Yea, but he doesn't talk about that. And that's the problem. The easy out of "I live farther" was left in the video.

I think people know that replacing their car with their bike is hard. They may think it's harder than it is. It's definitely hard though. So saying "it's easy" isn't helpful. Saying "it had only positive effects on my life" is probably the kind of argument you want to make. Such as: "I'm the same me, but skinnier and with a little extra spending money."
crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 03:04 PM   #8
crhilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbrettcooper View Post
Actually, it is very likely going to happen soon. The recent spike in oil prices and the recession that followed have already reduced the number of motorized vehicles on the road. As it is, with oil prices high and likely to rise even higher due to the 2008 peak in global oil production, suburban commuters are being and will continue to be hardest hit, since they often have larger homes to heat and longer drives to work with little choice in terms of alternate transportation.

I'm considering buying a house next summer, but to be honest I wouldn't buy in suburbia even if they paid me to live there. The smart money folks are selling their suburban homes and moving into (or close to) the city.
Sure, but in this guys case he could easily just walk. If I lived 3/4th of a mile from work I'd walk. I love cycling, but not enough to deal with the bike when I could just hoof it.
crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 03:22 PM   #9
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
Posts: 24,788
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhilton View Post
Sure, but in this guys case he could easily just walk. If I lived 3/4th of a mile from work I'd walk. I love cycling, but not enough to deal with the bike when I could just hoof it.
I agree... I regularly walk 3 miles just for the heck of it... a mile is nothing. If I lived that close I'd love to walk it.

I just did a little experiment with Google maps and I think it illustrates one issue of our society that strongly encourages driving... I used the same start and end points and then shifted the modes in google maps...

Driving, it is only 6.6 miles (and much of it direct freeway) it would take 11 minutes.
Using Public Transit, the route is largely the same as driving (using direct freeway) but could take up to 2 hours depending on the bus schedule.
Walking, the route increases to 8.8 miles (can't walk the freeway... the shortest route) and could take up to 3 hours, depending on my pace.
Cycle it, and the suggested route increases to 14.4 miles and will take just over an hour according to Google maps.

I see this sort of dichotomy all over the place... the "powered mode," driving, usually has the clearest shortest route... while all other transit methods end up taking some "secondary" route... and hence end up "second best."

Now in reality I can probably get the bike route to be shorter... as it is permitted for me to use part of the freeway... but bear in mind... it is "permitted." The automobile still gets "first routing."

What I saw in Oulu Finland was just the opposite... bike paths were the shortest route, while automobiles had to "go around." This prioritized cycling and walking. Of course, obviously, in some cases that short route is the only route.
genec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 09:27 AM   #10
SlimAgainSoon
Senior Member
 
SlimAgainSoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Down South
Bikes:
Posts: 1,261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Actually, the distance doesn't matter all that much ... 5 minutes vs. 15 or 20 or 30 minutes ... the hard part is getting out the door, so good for him.
SlimAgainSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-10, 01:49 PM   #11
crhilton
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska
Bikes: '07 Trek 1500, '08 Surly Cross Check, '09 Masi Speciale Sprint custom build
Posts: 4,568
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
I just did a little experiment with Google maps and I think it illustrates one issue of our society that strongly encourages driving... I used the same start and end points and then shifted the modes in google maps...

Driving, it is only 6.6 miles (and much of it direct freeway) it would take 11 minutes.
Using Public Transit, the route is largely the same as driving (using direct freeway) but could take up to 2 hours depending on the bus schedule.
Walking, the route increases to 8.8 miles (can't walk the freeway... the shortest route) and could take up to 3 hours, depending on my pace.
Cycle it, and the suggested route increases to 14.4 miles and will take just over an hour according to Google maps.

I see this sort of dichotomy all over the place... the "powered mode," driving, usually has the clearest shortest route... while all other transit methods end up taking some "secondary" route... and hence end up "second best."
I completely agree. It's not as bad here, but we get it too. The quickest route has typically been carefully designed for cars, and other users go largely ignored. Since we have next to nothing in the way of freeways (the "small town attitude" has protected us from that) there's typically a sidewalk if you want to put up with 40-50mph traffic noise 4 feet away. Of course, that does you no good when you need to cross the street where they've allotted no space to wait in the middle, and created no crossing point for the next 4 blocks.
crhilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 PM.