Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 98
  1. #51
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    Invest in a helmet cam with a second pointed behind you.
    I did get an Oregon Scientific for $85 when Mr. Hit&Run started up after his probation and the 2 year time limit for a civil lawsuit against him expired. I attached it to my wrist so I could catch his approach from behind and swing it while he passes. I have vid of him moving into my lane for a closer pass, of him turning his windshield washer on as he gets close, his honk is audible and a still capture of him right next to me with his hand pressed on his horn. I stopped wearing it because it is somewhat uncomfortable and prevents me from wearing a blinkie on my wrist. Mr. Hit&Run escalated things a couple weeks ago, so I pulled the Oregon Scientific back out and found the power switch is no longer working. Christmas gift will be a package deal:
    ContourHD 1080p Full HD Helmet Camera
    extra data capacity in a SanDisk 16 GB Class 2 microSDHC Flash Memory Card
    extra Contour 2350 ContourHD Battery
    all for $260 with shipping to Hawaii.

    I am convinced that sooner or later, Mr. Hit&Run will file a false police report against me (his lawyer had him do it as a defense against his Hit & Run, along with other nasty tactics). None of the tactics, including claims of stalking, harassment, extortion, etc. (as myrridin claims we engage in) worked with the police, city prosecutor, criminal judge or civil judge (people who actually know the law, unlike myrridin). If and when Mr. Hit&Run does file his second false police report, the videos will be ready to turn it back on him.


    Timeline for info and clarity:
    Feb 2006 Hit & Run occurred
    his insurance paid $400+ in material damages, no payment for personal injury (but I held that as potential small claims case against him for 2 years should Mr. Hit&Run not back off)
    Jul 2006 Mr. Hit&Run found guilty of fleeing the scene = 6 month probation and a fine
    Sep 2006 Mr. Hit&Run civil claims against me were dismissed as having NO basis in fact or law (it was a stupid lawyer trick trying to intimidate a witness [me] and try to get legal fees out of me = complete fail on lawyers part)
    Aug 2006 to Mar 2008 Mr. Hit&Run had to drive an extra 6 miles each work day to avoid crossing paths with me on the highway he hit me on (sometime during that time he and his wife sold their 2 car, including the mercedes he hit me with; and now the two of them share a Scion tC)
    Mar 2008 time limit for possible small claims case has expired (plus one month to ensure a case was not filed the last day) Mr. Hit&Run shows back up on the highway and starts the sort of close passing with honking (not too close because he is likely afraid he will end up in jail if he ever hits me again).

    So for the past 2 and a half years, each time Mr. Hit&Run has honked his wimpy little Scion tC horn, I just chuckle that the whole thing is STILL eating HIS insides up.

    The other JAMs on my log have mostly backed off the harassment.

    One JAM that I followed to his home and began talking to him in a calm voice, turned to a big shouting match with him yelling racial slurs but finally ended in a hand shack. A few weeks later he even pulled alongside me, while I was riding, for a neighborly chat (sort of a piece offering I guess).

    So my tactics work with all but the worst of our society.
    Last edited by CB HI; 12-03-10 at 01:55 PM.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  2. #52
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by myrridin View Post
    Your the one making this an argument about the law... which is why I ignored your question. How many people get prosecuted under the existing stalking statutes? Not many... Doesn't make the ones who weren't prosecuted innocent of stalking...

    What YOU described doing is stalking. It is also a form of vigilantism. If you do what you claim, you seem to have some issues. It isn't a good idea for anyone to do what you suggested. It will lead to conflicts and by doing so you are instigating such conflicts. There is no good outcome likely from such behavior.
    Yet you fail to link to any law supporting your claims.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  3. #53
    Yabba-Dabba-Doo! AlmostTrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Bedrock, IL
    My Bikes
    1969 Schwinn Orange Krate, 5 speed stick shift
    Posts
    3,068
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good for you CB.

    Thankfully, some folks refuse to just bend over and keep taking it.
    Have Bike, Will Travel

  4. #54
    genec genec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    san diego
    My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Posts
    23,042
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow CB... confrontation is tough (been there done that). Confrontation with a positive result is even tougher.

  5. #55
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Christmas gift will be a package deal:
    ContourHD 1080p Full HD Helmet Camera
    extra data capacity in a SanDisk 16 GB Class 2 microSDHC Flash Memory Card
    extra Contour 2350 ContourHD Battery
    all for $260 with shipping to Hawaii.
    Cool.

    I noticed that since the Drift HD170 came out that the prices for alternative HD cameras dropped. On the Electronic subforum I started a thread there a few months ago that has some interesting posts. The conclusion was that to get license plates at speed you needed HD video.

    I've had very few conflicts. One guy -- with his family in his car! -- started shouting and eventually used profanity and threats. My response was thank god I paid my taxes for those jails! I've never seen him again. Life is too short, IMO, to deal with most of this cr@p.

  6. #56
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    3,017
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Christmas gift will be a package deal:
    ContourHD 1080p Full HD Helmet Camera
    extra data capacity in a SanDisk 16 GB Class 2 microSDHC Flash Memory Card
    extra Contour 2350 ContourHD Battery
    all for $260 with shipping to Hawaii.
    Warning -- Class 2 is not likely to be fast enough to keep up with that video camera. Class 4 is going to be marginal, and I'd suggest Class 6 even if it costs more.

    Personally, I'd suggest two cameras, and have them mounted to your bike rather than your hand, though you could have a third on your helmet if you wanted. I don't normally have problems with drivers, but when doing more interesting group rides I have put a GoProHD onto my handlebars, and have put cheap 808 keychain cameras (about $13 on eBay, plus you'll want an 8 GB micro sd card, another $15 or so) pointed backwards on my rack and one on my helmet -- that generally catches most anything that happens that's interesting around me.

    Anything on your helmet bounces all over the place -- it's amazing how much you move your head -- and the rolling shutter of all these cameras (it's less on the GoPro, of course) makes the videos annoying, though they'd still be good for evidence. If you want good video, mount the camera to your frame somehow -- that's a lot more steady than your handlebars, but it's hard to do without adding a stick that sticks forward past your bars (on an upright bike.)
    Last edited by dougmc; 12-03-10 at 02:55 PM.

  7. #57
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been considering the 808 keychain cameras as well.

    Hope there will not be a problem with the class 2 disk, as that is what is being sold as a packet add-on. Will computers a couple of years old, actually read the class 4 or 6 disk or do most of the problems occur with the SDHC rated disk. Clearly an area that I am not up to speed on.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  8. #58
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    3,017
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    I have been considering the 808 keychain cameras as well.
    They are cheap in every way -- inexpensive ($13), unreliable (turn off and on spontaneously, crash, etc.), low quality (640x480 or 640x480 extrapolated into 720x480 (worse!)), massive rolling shutter effects, narrow field of vision), etc. But they are SO inexpensive they're worth trying out.

    Will computers a couple of years old, actually read the class 4 or 6 disk or do most of the problems occur with the SDHC rated disk.
    Class 2 or whatever just refers to the write speed -- Class 2 means they guarantee 2 MB/s, class 4 = 4 MB/s, etc.

    Looking things up, they seem to say they support Class 2. So maybe it'll be fine -- though that seems too close to the actual writing speed in 1080p mode for comfort to me.

  9. #59
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, I learned something new.

    If the class 2 does not work so well, I will just buy a class 6 and see what other device/reader I can get the class 2 to work in (like a Garmin GPS?).
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  10. #60
    aka Jerome CritEastwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado Again
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    Yet you fail to link to any law supporting your claims.
    That's how sociopaths roll, doncha know?
    Runnin' With The Pack

  11. #61
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CritEastwood View Post
    That's how sociopaths roll, doncha know?
    True enough.

    I guess I should add a caution. If anyone chooses to challenge the JAMs in a similar manner, be sure to read your state laws so you know where the legal boundary is in YOUR state and be ready to physically defend yourself.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  12. #62
    Senior Member dougmc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Bridgestone RB-T, Bike-E, Vision R-40, Novara Safari
    Posts
    3,017
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    If the class 2 does not work so well, I will just buy a class 6 and see what other device/reader I can get the class 2 to work in (like a Garmin GPS?).
    Class 2 would be fine for a GPS, though 16 GB of it would be seriously wasted -- I've got maps of Texas and all the surrounding states in mine, road and topographical, and I think it takes like 250 MB. A street map of the entire US is like 2 GB or so if I recall correctly.

  13. #63
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, I would load the 2 GB US roads and the 4 GB topo maps. So hopefully the card will work OK in the ContourHD.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  14. #64
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,325
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CritEastwood View Post
    That's how sociopaths roll, doncha know?
    You might want to avoid using technical terms that describe a psychological condition when talking about someone whom you disagree with. It just makes a person look childish...

  15. #65
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sggoodri View Post
    How far back in time did the record of speeding tickets go? I haven't had any kind of traffic ticket since about 1988-89, when I was a teenager, but I got two speeding tickets in my teens. What percentage of drivers in the general population have never received a ticket? I suspect that it might be small.

    I also suspect that once the wrong politician discovers his license plate number, driving record and other information on this server, it will be taken offline, "to protect the public's right to privacy."
    The oldest apparent database entry date that I found so far was 1991. 1994 seems to be the earliest date for most drivers, with older closed cases not being electronically recorded. I saw some cases that began in 1985, but were not closed out until 1998 or later.

    From my understanding, prior to electronic records, many states only kept data for 7 years.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    earth
    My Bikes
    steel ones
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Handling things "citizen to citizen" is by definition vigilantism"
    absolutely wrong.
    it's how civil adults can handle things without bringing lawyers into the mix.

  17. #67
    meandering nomad
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Newport,Rhode Island
    My Bikes
    eleven bikes no car
    Posts
    407
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now if we could just get cops to do their job and enforce the law.
    Safety Nanny Checklist
    1.Two headlights major brand 100+ Lumens plus helmet light2.Two tail-lights at minimum but really you need more3.Mirrors on helmet, handlebar and back of glove.4. Reflective vest and tape on every surface5.Disc and caliper brakes just in case6.Horn, bell and train whistle7.Chicken Little’s Phone# 8.Wear a helmet at all times (you might fall out of bed)Because it's scary out there!

  18. #68
    Senior Member Dchiefransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Newark, CA. San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    6,191
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by genec View Post
    What about making up some official looking letter and sending it telling them they are in a database for errant drivers and have been reported by a cyclist to the database, and this information may be used against them in the future should they be involved in any cyclist related collision. None of the aforementioned is incorrect BTW, as CBHI has indicated that he has a log of JAMs. Maybe even include a HI based list of cyclists' rights to the road.

    It just lets the motorist know that "someone" is watching.
    Some cycling advocacy groups have a database like that where people can report incidents.
    Here, in California, they have a "confidential" license plate program, where certain groups, like olice or prison guards, don't get their info released by the DMV. They are abusing the FastTrak system by not paying on the bridges near here, and don't get caught due to this program.
    Silver Eagle Pilot

  19. #69
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecopXXX View Post
    "Handling things "citizen to citizen" is by definition vigilantism"
    absolutely wrong.
    it's how civil adults can handle things without bringing lawyers into the mix.
    You need to get a new dictionary and because your screen name implies you are a cop, you should get a new job or get retrained.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  20. #70
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    earth
    My Bikes
    steel ones
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    You need to get a new dictionary and because your screen name implies you are a cop, you should get a new job or get retrained.
    OK, we can play
    Vigilante is an "unauthorized group administering punishment for crimes" where is the punishment? where is the group? guess you're full of it.

  21. #71
    totally louche Bekologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    A land that time forgot
    My Bikes
    the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes
    Posts
    18,026
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    I

    So for the past 2 and a half years, each time Mr. Hit&Run has honked his wimpy little Scion tC horn, I just chuckle that the whole thing is STILL eating HIS insides up.
    It's abundantly clear this isn't just eating the insides of Mr hit and run up.
    Last edited by Bekologist; 12-20-10 at 08:34 AM.
    "Evidence, anecdote and methodology all support planning for roadway bike traffic."

  22. #72
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecopXXX View Post
    "Handling things "citizen to citizen" is by definition vigilantism"
    absolutely wrong.
    it's how civil adults can handle things without bringing lawyers into the mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecopXXX View Post
    OK, we can play
    Vigilante is an "unauthorized group administering punishment for crimes" where is the punishment? where is the group? guess you're full of it.
    Please clarify your post. Your quotation marks and short hand writing style in the first post make that post confusing. As such, I am pretty sure I misunderstood the intent of that post and retract my claims of you needing a new dictionary and job.

    Your second post asking "where is the punishment? where is the group?" is in line with my thinking. Remember, my post are the ones saying that the described actions others and myself have taken, do not fit the definition of vigilantism.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  23. #73
    Cycle Year Round CB HI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    11,420
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bekologist View Post
    It's abundantly clear this isn't just eating the insides of Mr hit and run up.
    Unlike Mr. Hit&Run, I did not pay any legal fees, I did not get probation, I did not have to pay a fine, I won the civil case, his insurance had to pay for bike repairs including an upgrade to a Chris King headset (only LBS in stock headset and overall cheaper than special ordering a standard headset and paying for a bike rental in the interim). For two years, Mr. Hit&Run had to drive an extra 6 miles each work day while I still road my regular route.

    The only cost to me were parking fees for 2 witnesses and time/effort. The Chris King headset more than offsets the parking fees. The time and effort are well offset by the additional legal education for me and especially my wife.

    And best of all, I get a good laugh each time Mr. Hit&Run drives by and honks his wimpy Scion tC horn at me and tries to spray windshield washer fluid on me. Seriously, the guy is about 48 years old now and their only "family of three" car is a Scion tC (a college kid style car).

    So, from my prospective, I mostly see win/win. The only negative is that even with everything Mr. Hit&Run has put himself through, his driving and attitude has not improved.
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave.

  24. #74
    aka Jerome CritEastwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Colorado Again
    My Bikes
    Yes
    Posts
    1,080
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    And best of all, I get a good laugh each time Mr. Hit&Run drives by and honks his wimpy Scion tC horn at me and tries to spray windshield washer fluid on me. Seriously, the guy is about 48 years old now and their only "family of three" car is a Scion tC (a college kid style car).
    He sounds like a real mullethead, with a "too bad, so sad" kind of existence. Sounds like a win for you to me.
    Runnin' With The Pack

  25. #75
    24-Speed Machine Chris516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wash. Grove, MD
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike
    Posts
    5,149
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CB HI View Post
    The Hawaii Judiciary just changed it’s public information link for traffic offenses, such that it is now searchable by license plate number. If the infraction is other than a parking ticket, then the listing includes a name and link to the case. Each court case includes a number associated to that name. The court number is hotlinked to all other traffic offenses associated with that name and AKAs.

    http://jimspss1.courts.state.hi.us:8...CFE23963599BFE

    Over the years, I have logged the plate numbers and actions of JAMs that have intentionally harassed me and placed me in danger. In running the log of license plates, some interesting commonality has shown through:

    1. Virtually all have been ticketed for speeding
    2. Most have been ticketed for not wearing a seat belt
    3. Many have failed to keep either their registration, safety inspection or insurance current
    4. Less than 5% of the plate numbers did not show any offense
    5. The other 95% mostly had multiple infractions.
    6. Only a few had DUI convictions

    With the name and if they own their home/condo, I have public database access such that I can look up their address. The phone book could also work if they list their address there (but Hawaii no longer requires the phone company provide phone books). I wonder if these people would continue to endanger cyclist if they understood they might get tracked down.
    I wonder if there are websites like that, for Maryland, DC, and Virginia?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •