One of my pet peeves is those idiots who ride at night with no lights.
Expecting to be caught in twilight,night soon I was testing my night footprint by both a standing person and by traffic.
The 3 angles I am interested in are:
12 o'clock-- straight on, as these drivers are apt to pull left in front of me if they don't ID me and honor my space
10 o'clock-- NW for the analog challenged, as these drivers are apt to blow thru a stop right in front of me
6 o'clock-- straight behind me, as they are apt to not notice me until too late.
6 is ok as whole road fills with red light
10 is very poor
12 is ok for light but extremely poor for driver recognition.
I would like to see the following, say 2inch x 2 inch images of how you look at night from these angles:
1. scenario 12best -- lights on, image of your bike at night from.4 houses away, coming right at camera
2. scenario 10best -- lights on, image of your bike at night from 1 house away, coming at 10 oclock to camera
3. scenario 6best -- lights on, image on your bike at night from 4 houses away, going away from camera
4. scenario 12worst -- no lights, just image of your bike at night from.4 houses away, coming right at camera
with car lights on from other side of street; i.e., how big is your reflective only footprint
5. scenario 10worst -- no lights, just image from your bike at night 1 house away, coming at 10 oclock to vehicle with lights on at stop sign
6. scenario 6worst-- no lights, image on your bike at night from 4 houses away, going away from camera with car lights shinning on bike, low beam, on same side of street.
The hope here is by sharing images we can all come up with creative ways to increase our night footprint and our safety. I am getting some more stuff to improve my footprint and will share images after they are added. Right now I am only comfortable with scenario 6best. The other 5 need work. I am going to try, I think it was alvoid's comment and put reflective tape on the wheel rims.
Again looking forward to seeing what you are doing to improve your nite footprint.