Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet 178 10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped 94 5.63%
I've always worn a helmet 648 38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do 408 24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions 342 20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-12, 08:12 AM   #2601
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,624
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
mcon

What is more verifiable than my own true life adventure. I was knocked over by a driver and hit my head on the right hand side of my helmet. I didn not recieve a scratch thanks to my helmet. Many more posters here have reported the same result.

Then all the anti helmet cult pounces on us and basically calls us liars. However-----------all the anti helmet cult members can quote all sorts of questionable sources to attempt to prove us wrong. But all of us that have been saved from injury simply know better. Have a nice day--------thanks to our helmets we did!!!!!!!!!
rydabent is offline  
Old 06-11-12, 09:38 AM   #2602
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
No shizzle. The number of people riding skateboards 2 miles appears to be very, very small. And the percentage of skateboarders who do it (with any sort of regularity) is small too.

Weirdly missing the point.
Translation: I'm wrong, so I'm going to change the subject and accuse you of going off-topic. Seen it all before, bud.
sudo bike is offline  
Old 06-11-12, 12:00 PM   #2603
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 7,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
[QUOTE=oxfordd30;14339546]I think this conversation may have taken a turn for the worse, lol.

When did that happen?
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 06-11-12, 01:31 PM   #2604
njkayaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 9,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
Translation: I'm wrong, so I'm going to change the subject and accuse you of going off-topic. Seen it all before, bud.


The fact that there are exceptions doesn't make it usual. Apparently, that's a hard concept for you to get.

Regardless of the activity, people are not going to tend to use or prefer using closed helmets, including the "skater" types, for high-effort sport.

If people are using closed helmets (including the "skater" type), they are not typically doing high-effort sports in them..


Last edited by njkayaker; 06-11-12 at 01:40 PM.
njkayaker is offline  
Old 06-11-12, 02:14 PM   #2605
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,477
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I see more skate type helmets on cyclists than ever before, personally. Lotta Bern, lotta Nutcase, even saw one of those Giro Reverbs a little while ago, thinking it was a 15 year old Giro Hammerhead I had to ask the dude about it. Reverb not a skate helmet of course, but old school bike helmet with way less holes than the current crop of roadie styrofoam.

A lot of commuter/transportation cyclists will put up with a little less airflow to have a helmet that doesn't look so alien. Alien head helmets only really go well with kit and not everyone wants to kit up all the time.

I know a guy who wears full face MC helmet for all rides. I should get him to roll the MUP with me and yell "BETTER HELMET" to all the Freds Surprisingly enough he's never said a word to me about my protection level decisions.

Also, longboards have a greater market share than any time that I can remember (I've been skating since 1978 or so.) and longboards are designed for long distance rides so I imagine way more people skate 2+ miles non-stop than they have at any other time in the past two generations.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 06-11-12, 02:21 PM   #2606
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,477
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
Regardless of the activity, people are not going to tend to use or prefer using closed helmets, including the "skater" types, for high-effort sport.
Skating to work is WAY more high effort than cycling to work, for me. YMMV.

Cyclists that wear the lightest, least protective piece of styrofoam that can pass the drop test should keep their mouths shut when it comes to offering advice on protection levels. I think they have a false perception of the protection they're getting from the hats and are way off base to berate non-helmeted cyclists.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 06-11-12, 08:34 PM   #2607
Rx Rider
Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad
 
Rx Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Front Range
Bikes:
Posts: 715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Skye

So are egotistical people that think they know everything!!!

if only there was a helmet that could protect your terribly sensitive feelings from a little thing called humor.
Rx Rider is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 01:13 PM   #2608
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
The fact that there are exceptions doesn't make it usual. Apparently, that's a hard concept for you to get.

Regardless of the activity, people are not going to tend to use or prefer using closed helmets, including the "skater" types, for high-effort sport.

If people are using closed helmets (including the "skater" type), they are not typically doing high-effort sports in them..

[text size and bold changed by me to reduce obnoxiousness]
Both skating and cycling can be about as "high-effort" as you want them to. When I ride to work, I'm not hunched over my bike like I'm on the Tour, dripping sweat and masculinity; I'm cruising along in street clothes at a comfortable pace. Both casual cycling and skating can indeed be low-effort or high-effort, that isn't the point.

Yes, closed skate-style helmets can be much more uncomfortable due to lack of airflow, every bit as much on a skateboard as with a bike (why you choose to argue this point is beyond me). That isn't the point either.

The point is that people choose a less effective and possibly more harmful helmet design (rotational injury concerns) for the sake of convenience; better airflow and ventilation. Many of those same people deride others who make a similar choice - the sacrifice of some safety for convenience (of which there are more tradeoffs than just airflow) - that they themselves made. That, was my point, which you managed to turn into a conversation about effort levels of skating vs cycling. I stand astounded.
sudo bike is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 05:29 PM   #2609
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
The point is that people choose a less effective and possibly more harmful helmet design (rotational injury concerns) for the sake of convenience; better airflow and ventilation. Many of those same people deride others who make a similar choice - the sacrifice of some safety for convenience (of which there are more tradeoffs than just airflow) - that they themselves made.

Exactly. Typical foam-and-plastic "roadie" helmets fall into one spot on the "safety equipment continuum", and that spot is pretty close to the "no safety equipment at all" end of the scale. A downhill mountain biker, for example, is going to be a lot further along on that continuum and probably wouldn't dream of undertaking the activity with as little safety equipment as the the typical roadie uses. The helmeteer, however, apparently believes that there is only a binary "safe/not safe" situation, where "safe" equals any kind of helmet (and nothing more).
Six jours is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 05:43 PM   #2610
kardar2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Redding, CA.
Bikes: Giant trance II MTB, Centurion Accordo
Posts: 188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I Say!!!!1 I can go buy lots of helmets but NOT heads or Brains.
kardar2 is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 06:10 PM   #2611
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
The helmeteer, however, apparently believes that there is only a binary "safe/not safe" situation, where "safe" equals any kind of helmet (and nothing more).
Yes, helmet proponents have nothing invested in safety training, preparedness, or experience...

Talk about binary beliefs...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-12-12, 07:30 PM   #2612
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
Posts: 3,847
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm a pro freedom type of guy, but some people are more in need of helmets than others. Playing softball, I always wore long pants because I didn't want to say to myself, "Man, why the hell I'm I wearing shorts and now I need to drop into second".
curbtender is online now  
Old 06-12-12, 07:32 PM   #2613
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Yes, helmet proponents have nothing invested in safety training, preparedness, or experience...
Your words, not mine.

But I think you've accidentally stumbled onto a kind of truth, as illustrated by an exchange I had a few pages back: a great many cyclists do not have any significant investment in "training, preparedness, or experience" and think it's a bit elitist to even bring it up.
Six jours is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 07:03 AM   #2614
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
Your words, not mine.

But I think you've accidentally stumbled onto a kind of truth, as illustrated by an exchange I had a few pages back: a great many cyclists do not have any significant investment in "training, preparedness, or experience" and think it's a bit elitist to even bring it up.
When you pose a binary qualification like "...(and nothing more).", it follows by your statement that any helmeteer certainly doesn't have training, preparedness, or experience. ...which would certainly be news to those who have been cycling with a helmet for decades, including LCIs.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

Last edited by mconlonx; 06-13-12 at 09:32 AM.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 09:24 AM   #2615
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
Just checking in... are people trying to talk other people out of a helmet? Or are people just saying they don't need a helmet, leave me alone? I wear a helmet because I'm going bald on top of my head and my ball cap doesn't stay on at 45mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
People are still advocating helmets as unnecessary in the milieu of everyday cycling due to the various detriments attributable to helmets, and the lack of verifiable protective qualities assigned to them in the face of widespread public belief that they protect beyond their design parameters in situations for which they have not been designed, tested, or subsequently found effective.

With a side of "I don't need a helmet, leave me alone."

With the perspective of someone who has been on this thread from day 1, I can say that it's not the intent of most to convince anyone to remove a helmet, but rather to have those who tell others that they should wear a helmet to respect the choice of others who do not want to wear a helmet.

Those who choose to go without have many valid reasons for their choice and do not like being called derogatory names, particularly when the reasons the name callers have for wearing helmets have been examined and found lacking.

If someone doesn't like, or doesn't understand why people do not wear helmets, they should look into the reasonings why they have chosen not to do so, and this thread provides many of those reasons. People who are concerned should also take a look around and see, the lidded are in the minority of all cyclists and think there may be a valid reason why this is so.
closetbiker is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 09:38 AM   #2616
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
If someone doesn't like, or doesn't understand why people do not wear helmets, they should look into the reasonings why they have chosen not to do so, and this thread provides many of those reasons.
People who choose wear helmets should also look into their own reasonings for wearing a helmet, then compare and contrast their beliefs and assumptions regarding the protective capabilities of helmets vs. the actual protective cababilities of helmets, as stated by manufacturers and proven through various studies.

Of course, self-examination has never been a very strong human trait...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 09:47 AM   #2617
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
People who choose wear helmets should also look into their own reasonings for wearing a helmet, then compare and contrast their beliefs and assumptions regarding the protective capabilities of helmets vs. the actual protective cababilities of helmets, as stated by manufacturers and proven through various studies.

Of course, self-examination has never been a very strong human trait...
... and realistic examinations for the "need" to wear a helmet are often overlooked (or presented in a misleading way) as well.

It's fear of injury that fuels the use of helmets, and that risk is most often placed out of both perspective and context, much to the detriment of cycling.

The OP that started this whole thread was about some women (who crash less often) not wearing helmets on a trail, while the children (who crash more often) that were wearing helmets.

The O poster said, the children had more sense than the women, and that the women were "airheads". It seems to me, if one doesn't crash without a helmet, they're safer, and more sensible, than someone who crashes with one.

Either way, people should be left to their own choices, particularly when the choice of riding a bike results in more benefit than detriment.

Last edited by closetbiker; 06-13-12 at 10:28 AM.
closetbiker is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 10:51 AM   #2618
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
The OP that started this whole thread was about some women (who crash less often) not wearing helmets on a trail, while the children (who crash more often) that were wearing helmets.

The O poster said, the children had more sense than the women, and that the women were "airheads".

Um, actually, the OP for this thread was trying to take out the perhaps misogynistic inflammation inherent in the OP from that other thread you're talking about...

I know it gets confusing sometimes, but try to keep up...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 11:12 AM   #2619
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Um, actually, the OP for this thread was trying to take out the perhaps misogynistic inflammation inherent in the OP from that other thread you're talking about...

I know it gets confusing sometimes, but try to keep up...
This thread is an extension of the original, which has been cut up a number of times, for a variety of reasons. The original idea is still the reason many post here, that is that a number of reasons to wear a helmet fall short for some, and I doubt the thread would have lasted as long if it weren't for the insulting manner in which the lidless are treated.

I know when a newcomer tells me about something I've already gone over, it's tempting to put him/her in their place (and that perpetuates the thread without helping)

Last edited by closetbiker; 06-13-12 at 11:26 AM.
closetbiker is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 11:39 AM   #2620
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
This thread is an extension of the original, which has been cut up a number of times, for a variety of reasons. The original idea is still the reason many post here, that is that a number of reasons to wear a helmet fall short for some, and I doubt the thread would have lasted as long if it weren't for the insulting manner in which the lidless are treated.
Hey, the only reason I hang around is the insulting manner in which the lidded are treated... :
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 12:00 PM   #2621
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah well, that's great and all but when you get public officials making the same lame arguments to wear helmets that are here on this thread, and they manage to get public opinion swayed towards, cycling is dangerous and the helmet is the cure, then the next thing you know, we get helmet laws and decreasing numbers of people on bikes, and that's just no good for anyone...
closetbiker is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 12:35 PM   #2622
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
Yeah well, that's great and all but when you get public officials making the same lame arguments to wear helmets that are here on this thread, and they manage to get public opinion swayed towards, cycling is dangerous and the helmet is the cure, then the next thing you know, we get helmet laws and decreasing numbers of people on bikes, and that's just no good for anyone...
If people are as effective IRL as they are here when talking about the realities of helmets vs. the myths, it's no wonder helmet laws pass...

Maybe use this thread -- or start another -- to talk about effective ways to strike down proposed MHLegislation. Instead of alienating helmet wearers.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 12:39 PM   #2623
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
maybe if someone reads the information on this thread, they'll have some good arguments to use if some politician wants to cut off a nose to spite the face of his/her electorate
closetbiker is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 12:56 PM   #2624
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,086
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
maybe if someone reads the information on this thread, they'll have some good arguments to use if some politician wants to cut off a nose to spite the face of his/her electorate
Oh yes, this is a helpful suggestion...
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 06-13-12, 01:02 PM   #2625
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
Oh yes, this is a helpful suggestion...
of course it isn't helpful because most people don't ride bikes and even fewer know of these arguments.

All most people know is what their elected tell them, even if it isn't true, and have counter-productive qualities.

This is also a reason why helmet laws fail in countries where most people do ride bikes and understand the arguments
closetbiker is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:39 PM.