Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet 178 10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped 94 5.63%
I've always worn a helmet 648 38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do 408 24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions 342 20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-12, 07:43 PM   #2776
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
Many organized bicycling events require helmet usage due to insurance coverage requirements or other liability concerns.
(I could swear I've typed that before in this thread)
Have you ever validated there really is any insurance coverage "requirement" for helmet usage in the absence of any legal requirement?

I was told about an insurance company requirement for rides in my area. When questioned, the bike shop owner who informed me of the requirement, admitted that the "requirement" was essentially nothing more than a device the local club leaders used to keep out casual and recreational cyclists who don't fit the profile of the self declared "serious" club member cyclists who dominate the rides. The insurance company connection to the "requirement" was totally bogus.

"other liability concerns" could require the prohibition of ANYTHING some worrywort wishes to imagine could be a liability concern, including riding a bicycle in any manner.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 07-02-12 at 07:47 PM.
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 07-02-12, 07:56 PM   #2777
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 26,480
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
No, I've never put on a cycling event or contacted any insurance companies in preparation for doing so. Your premise may represent the reality of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
"other liability concerns" could require the prohibition of ANYTHING some worrywort wishes to imagine could be a liability concern, including riding a bicycle in any manner.
It could. Some of those rides oughtta require full leathers
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 07-03-12, 08:45 AM   #2778
Omiak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Minneapolis
Bikes:
Posts: 313
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He makes a compelling argument and I generally think he's right. I wear a helmet now because I recently had a concussion bad enough to cause amnesia (not cycling related) and because I live in the worst country in the world with regard to road fatalities per capita.

Last edited by Omiak; 07-03-12 at 08:58 AM.
Omiak is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 10:09 AM   #2779
gna
Count Orlok Member
 
gna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe Frankenbike
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gna is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 10:51 AM   #2780
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gna View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 11:22 AM   #2781
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, okay, having watched the talk... I'm just not sold. I understand the tradeoff on a population-wide basis of urging/legislating helmet use versus scaring people off bikes. On a personal level, though, I wouldn't ride without one.

One statement he made, though, intrigues me. I think he said that helmet wearers are 50% more likely to crash. I wonder whether the low-speed cycling transport crowd, which is largely helmetless, skews the data, and that a large proportion of helmet wearers engage in sport cycling, to include high speed road riding and road racing, and also MTBers pushing themselves on challenging courses. Of course they crash more; they are pushing the limits, which is why they are wearing their helmets to begin with.

One thing I've considered was that for non-sport riders, once they get past a certain learning curve, their likelihood of crashing is greatly reduced. My personal experience seems to back that; I crashed once early on after starting to ride again, and nothing since then. But then our mayor recently went down, suffering a broken collar bone and concussion that is still affecting her vision (she had to get new lenses), even with a helmet.... her first fall in 25 years of riding.

Yeah, I prefer the look of a non-helmeted rider to a helmeted one, and that's kind of a draw when a good chunk of the appeal of cycling has to do with style (yeah, admit it). If others don't want to wear a helmet, they're adults; they can make their choices. It's none of my business. But I personally value my noggin enough to protect it.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 11:33 AM   #2782
Commodus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 4,144
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie;14435965...
Yeah, I prefer the look of a non-helmeted rider to a helmeted one, and that's kind of a draw when a good chunk of the appeal of cycling has to do with style (yeah, admit it). If others don't want to wear a helmet, they're adults; they can make their choices. It's none of my business. But I personally value my noggin enough to protect it.
I guess that's what it comes down to, in my opinion anyways. I'm fine with folks who believe a helmet has value, so long as they don't try to force the whole population to wear one.
Commodus is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 11:38 AM   #2783
Janine121
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Honestly, I think safety should come first... not wearing a helmet because of style is reckless to me..

I agree with ^Doohickie in that your noggin is valuable enough to protect it. I have friends that felt that they were "too cool" to wear a helmet, but recently found some pretty decent looking ones that are disguised as hats. It's pretty cool actually. I was thinking of buying one for myself. Found it here - http://luckychic.com/TS/Protected/Ve...9&&GroupId=725

I thought it was a cool concept. Hopefully ideas like these will encourage more people to wear helmets.
Janine121 is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 11:49 AM   #2784
sauerwald
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose, CA
Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine121 View Post
Honestly, I think safety should come first... not wearing a helmet because of style is reckless to me..
Over 10 times as many people per year die in accidents on stairs as on bicycles, if safety comes first, shouldn't we mandate helmet use when walking on stairs? We could save far more lives by requiring helmet use in motor vehicles than requiring it on bicycles - If you feel compelled to place safety first and wish to wear a helmet while riding a bike, or climbing stairs, or washing the dishes, I fully support your right to do so, but please, do not require me to wear safety gear so that you feel better about it.
sauerwald is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 11:54 AM   #2785
mrb09
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
I wonder whether the low-speed cycling transport crowd, which is largely helmetless, skews the data, and that a large proportion of helmet wearers engage in sport cycling, to include high speed road riding and road racing, and also MTBers pushing themselves on challenging courses. Of course they crash more; they are pushing the limits, which is why they are wearing their helmets to begin with..
+1 on this. This happens in the running world as well, the most competitive runners tend to have injuries. That's because they're on the edge of training as much as they can, and sometimes they push themselves over the edge. I think competitive cyclists (whether they race or not) are on that edge. Casual riders (me, for instance) aren't intentionally trying to push their limits that close.
mrb09 is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 12:00 PM   #2786
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gna View Post
Whoz dat?
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 12:04 PM   #2787
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Helmut Kohl
hagen2456 is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 12:09 PM   #2788
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janine121 View Post
Honestly, I think safety should come first... not wearing a helmet because of style is reckless to me..

I agree with ^Doohickie in that your noggin is valuable enough to protect it. I have friends that felt that they were "too cool" to wear a helmet, but recently found some pretty decent looking ones that are disguised as hats. It's pretty cool actually. I was thinking of buying one for myself. Found it here - http://luckychic.com/TS/Protected/Ve...9&&GroupId=725

I thought it was a cool concept. Hopefully ideas like these will encourage more people to wear helmets.
Well, according to this very thorugh paper, helmets are of practically no use except to children and elderly:

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/elvik.pdf

Makes sense, once you consider what may typically cause severe brain damage. Anyway, this has been discussed ad nauseam in the helmet thread.
hagen2456 is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 12:19 PM   #2789
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile
 
I-Like-To-Bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burlington Iowa
Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi
Posts: 23,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
Helmut Kohl
Tanks!
I-Like-To-Bike is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 01:43 PM   #2790
lostarchitect 
incazzare.
 
lostarchitect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Bikes: See sig
Posts: 6,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
The statistics can be skewed any way you want, depending on your bias. Just wear one if you want, don't if you don't want to. End of story.
__________________
1964 JRJ (Bob Jackson), 1973 Wes Mason, 1974 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 2000ish Colian (Colin Laing), 2011 Dick Chafe, 2013 Velo Orange Pass Hunter
lostarchitect is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 02:34 PM   #2791
gna
Count Orlok Member
 
gna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: St. Paul, MN
Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Raleigh Twenty, Raleigh Wyoming, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe Frankenbike
Posts: 1,535
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bikeyface/6799517337/
gna is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 05:12 PM   #2792
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
The statistics can be skewed any way you want, depending on your bias. Just wear one if you want, don't if you don't want to. End of story.
I agree about wearing or not. I do not agree about the Elvik paper having a bias, though. If you can find any, please let us know.
hagen2456 is offline  
Old 07-03-12, 09:15 PM   #2793
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
Okay, okay, having watched the talk... I'm just not sold. I understand the tradeoff on a population-wide basis of urging/legislating helmet use versus scaring people off bikes. On a personal level, though, I wouldn't ride without one.

One statement he made, though, intrigues me. I think he said that helmet wearers are 50% more likely to crash. I wonder whether the low-speed cycling transport crowd, which is largely helmetless, skews the data, and that a large proportion of helmet wearers engage in sport cycling, to include high speed road riding and road racing, and also MTBers pushing themselves on challenging courses. Of course they crash more; they are pushing the limits, which is why they are wearing their helmets to begin with.

One thing I've considered was that for non-sport riders, once they get past a certain learning curve, their likelihood of crashing is greatly reduced. My personal experience seems to back that; I crashed once early on after starting to ride again, and nothing since then. But then our mayor recently went down, suffering a broken collar bone and concussion that is still affecting her vision (she had to get new lenses), even with a helmet.... her first fall in 25 years of riding.

Yeah, I prefer the look of a non-helmeted rider to a helmeted one, and that's kind of a draw when a good chunk of the appeal of cycling has to do with style (yeah, admit it). If others don't want to wear a helmet, they're adults; they can make their choices. It's none of my business. But I personally value my noggin enough to protect it.
I was with you all the way to the last sentence, where you insult everyone who chooses not to wear a helmet. Why is it that helmet wearers have to be so unpleasant about it?
Six jours is offline  
Old 07-04-12, 01:04 AM   #2794
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostarchitect View Post
The statistics can be skewed any way you want, depending on your bias. Just wear one if you want, don't if you don't want to. End of story.
Statistics themselves are actually quite reliable (usually); it's usually the conclusions we draw from them that tend to be fallacious (usually due to the good ol' fashioned correlation=causation fallacy).
sudo bike is offline  
Old 07-04-12, 01:05 AM   #2795
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
I was with you all the way to the last sentence, where you insult everyone who chooses not to wear a helmet. Why is it that helmet wearers have to be so unpleasant about it?
Ditto.
sudo bike is offline  
Old 07-04-12, 08:17 AM   #2796
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
I was with you all the way to the last sentence, where you insult everyone who chooses not to wear a helmet. Why is it that helmet wearers have to be so unpleasant about it?
I agree. If adults can decide for themselves, and it's none of your business, you should respect anothers thoughts that may differ from yours.
closetbiker is offline  
Old 07-04-12, 08:50 AM   #2797
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For some reason that Parthian shot is always so hard to resist...
sudo bike is offline  
Old 07-04-12, 12:51 PM   #2798
Doohickie 
You gonna eat that?
 
Doohickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fort Worth, Texas Church of Hopeful Uncertainty
Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS
Posts: 14,320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
I was with you all the way to the last sentence, where you insult everyone who chooses not to wear a helmet. Why is it that helmet wearers have to be so unpleasant about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
Ditto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
I agree. If adults can decide for themselves, and it's none of your business, you should respect anothers thoughts that may differ from yours.
What's unpleasant about "But I personally value my noggin enough to protect it."? I wasn't trying to be unpleasant, it's just my personal statement, the way I view things personally. I wasn't judging anyone else.

I really like the thought of going helmetless, and I can fully see why people do it. My personal experience just tips the scale away from that choice though. Maybe if I never had a header, I'd be helmetless today, but knowing that I've gone down before and have some likelihood of going down again, I just like having the helmet on. If someone took offense at that, it certainly wasn't intended.
__________________
I stop for people / whose right of way I honor / but not for no one.



Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Doohickie is offline  
Old 07-04-12, 01:16 PM   #2799
closetbiker
Senior Member
 
closetbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver, BC
Bikes:
Posts: 9,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
What's unpleasant about "But I personally value my noggin enough to protect it."? ...
the short answer is, because it comes off as judgemental.

I can appreciate you have your view, and I know you don't mean it that way but that's how it comes off. To me anyway.

If wearing or not wearing a helmet isn't anyones business but their own, why make the comment? It seems by making one, you're judging.

Last edited by closetbiker; 07-04-12 at 01:47 PM.
closetbiker is offline  
Old 07-04-12, 01:52 PM   #2800
hagen2456
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Bikes: A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doohickie View Post
What's unpleasant about "But I personally value my noggin enough to protect it."?
You imply that the helmetless do NOT value their noggin (enough to protect it). "I personally" is mostly used that way - to stress the contrast between yourself and others.
hagen2456 is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 PM.