Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1670. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    178 10.66%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    94 5.63%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    648 38.80%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    408 24.43%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    342 20.48%
Page 116 of 350 FirstFirst ... 1666106114115116117118126166216 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 8743
  1. #2876
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    My Bikes
    Reynolds Wishbone
    Posts
    15
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    I was with you all the way to the last sentence, where you insult everyone who chooses not to wear a helmet. Why is it that helmet wearers have to be so unpleasant about it?
    This comes up frequently in religious debates: the side with a weak position becomes furious because the position to which he is emotionally wedded is so easy to attack. Of course, the side with the minority position also becomes furious, for different obvious reasons...

  2. #2877
    Senior Member curbtender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, East bay
    My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Posts
    3,066
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do those that run without headgear protect themselves from UV in some other way?

  3. #2878
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    5,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    So do those that run without headgear protect themselves from UV in some other way?
    I haven't found typical bicycle helmets to be adequate in that regard. So I wear a bicycling cap whether or not there's a helmet on top of it.

  4. #2879
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,889
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hagen2456 View Post
    I'm being more civil with you than you deserve; so if that's what you mean, then yes.
    Huh?

  5. #2880
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,889
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
    This comment is unspeakably ignorant and harmful.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! Man this stuff is just too good. It seems some of you can't figure out when someone else is speaking tongue in cheek.

  6. #2881
    Senior Member paulkal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Holland
    My Bikes
    2007 Nagasawa with C-Record, 1992 Duell with Croce D'aune/Chorus, three Gazelles, M5 recumbent
    Posts
    779
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    So do those that run without headgear protect themselves from UV in some other way?
    I wear a cycling cap when it is very sunny, of course a Campagnolo one.

  7. #2882
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holland: Why do helmet wearers have a greater incidence of head injury than normal cyclists?


    Interesting article and discussion stimulated from recent presentations by the European Cyclists' Federation. The rough idea is that cyclist behavior is a greater predictor of head injury than anything else. Ironically those wearing helmets are hoping that they'll be useful in situations for which they're not designed.

  8. #2883
    Bicikli Huszár sudo bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    My Bikes
    '95 Novara Randonee
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! Man this stuff is just too good. It seems some of you can't figure out when someone else is speaking tongue in cheek.
    "It's a joke! When you look at me like that, it's a joke!" -Homer Simpson
    "The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind. I love the bicycle. I always have. I can think of no sincere, decent human being, male or female, young or old, saint or sinner, who can resist the bicycle."

    - William Saroyan

  9. #2884
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Half you people would argue with a stop sign.
    Elitists suck.

  10. #2885
    Senior Member bandit1990's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    122
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but we would get the last word.

  11. #2886
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,611
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    Holland: Why do helmet wearers have a greater incidence of head injury than normal cyclists?

    Interesting article and discussion stimulated from recent presentations by the European Cyclists' Federation. The rough idea is that cyclist behavior is a greater predictor of head injury than anything else.


    We have no idea whether these riders fair better or worse with helmets.

    Martin speculates on the reason for the interesting 30 times higher rate of hospitalisation amongst helmet wearers:
    Can you spot the difference? All of the helmeted cyclists are racing around, head down, feet firmly clamped to the pedals on fragile lightweight skinny tired bicycles — except for the one on a muddy knobbly tired mountainbike.


    Clearly, you should be advocating that people ride heavy bicycles slowly!

    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    Ironically those wearing helmets are hoping that they'll be useful in situations for which they're not designed.


    You really have no idea what those riders are "hoping".
    Last edited by njkayaker; 07-10-12 at 03:11 PM.

  12. #2887
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit1990 View Post
    Yes, but we would get the last word.

    well played sir, well played LOL
    Elitists suck.

  13. #2888
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    Clearly, you should be advocating that people ride heavy bicycles slowly!
    I think it's quite obvious that riding heavy bicycles slowly ought to be made mandatory Anyone travelling above 20 km/h should have their children taken away from them and there should be threads on cycling forums calling them morons. It's only common sense isnt it?

    You really have no idea what those riders are "hoping".
    True. But given the evidence of most posts to this thread is it more likely that they believe that the helmet is of dubious efficacy in a limited circumstance, or that they believe that they will be saved from death because they've seen pictures of cracked helmets "It SAVED my LIFE!"?

    In any event, it's interesting that helmet wearers are over-represented in emergency room head-injury presentations in Holland.

  14. #2889
    Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad Rx Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Front Range
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check this baby out, looks like a good winter helmet.

    ¯\(°_o)/¯ . . .
    any skiers out there that would wear it?

  15. #2890
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Rider View Post
    ...the 50 mile loop I ride has over 26,000 feet of climbing ...
    That's an average 26% grade for 50 miles? Did you make an error? I'd love to see the Strava data on that ride...
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  16. #2891
    Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad Rx Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Front Range
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeyba View Post
    That's an average 26% grade for 50 miles? Did you make an error? I'd love to see the Strava data on that ride...
    Colorado sucks, you start on basically flatland then climb a big hill then go back down a big hill, then you climb a bigger hill, then you go half way down the big hill and then go up a really big hill, then you go all the way down to where you almost started at the flatlands. losing all the altitude you gained. this goes on and on and on, it's not a linear climb and you're constantly losing and re-climbing the same altitude only gaining marginally with each new climb. while technically from point (a) to point (b) is 2500'+, it takes 26,000' of climbing to get there and back.

  17. #2892
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Posts
    5,047
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Rider View Post
    ... it's not a linear climb and you're constantly losing and re-climbing the same altitude only gaining marginally with each new climb. while technically from point (a) to point (b) is 2500'+, it takes 26,000' of climbing to get there and back.
    Sure, but 26 kft in 50 miles still seems like a lot. Assuming half of the loop is descending and half is ascending then you're gaining 26 kft over 25 miles, i.e. an average grade of about 20%. Is this a paved route or a loop on fire roads and trails?

    Locally we've got a few fairly hilly paved routes, but not with that kind of average grade. The "Nifty 10-50" hits many of the steep climbs in and near Berkeley and is named that since it has 10 kft. of climb in 50 miles. And our local double century ride has almost as much climbing as your loop (22 kft) but spreads it out over 200 miles.

  18. #2893
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    My Bikes
    A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
    Posts
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    Holland: Why do helmet wearers have a greater incidence of head injury than normal cyclists?


    Interesting article and discussion stimulated from recent presentations by the European Cyclists' Federation. The rough idea is that cyclist behavior is a greater predictor of head injury than anything else. Ironically those wearing helmets are hoping that they'll be useful in situations for which they're not designed.
    I'm certainly not a helmeteer... but in Holland, only competitive cyclists wear helmets. As ordinary cycling is, er, extraordinary safe in Holland, whereas racing is probably as risky as any other place, there's a logical explanation for the numbers.

  19. #2894
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    8,611
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    I think it's quite obvious that riding heavy bicycles slowly ought to be made mandatory Anyone travelling above 20 km/h should have their children taken away from them and there should be threads on cycling forums calling them morons. It's only common sense isnt it?
    That's pretty-much the bizarre conclusion of the article. The article comes darn close to calling road bicyclists "names".

    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    Ironically those wearing helmets are hoping that they'll be useful in situations for which they're not designed.
    You really have no idea what those riders are "hoping".
    True. But given the evidence of most posts to this thread is it more likely that they believe that the helmet is of dubious efficacy in a limited circumstance, or that they believe that they will be saved from death because they've seen pictures of cracked helmets "It SAVED my LIFE!"?
    No, your first comment is ironic and hypocritical.

    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    In any event, it's interesting that helmet wearers are over-represented in emergency room head-injury presentations in Holland.
    Maybe. But given the clear bias against "roadies" in the article, it's not clear that it can be trusted as being an accurate portrayal of the data. Since it supports your side, you accept it non-critically.
    Last edited by njkayaker; 07-11-12 at 06:46 AM.

  20. #2895
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Rider View Post
    Colorado sucks, you start on basically flatland then climb a big hill then go back down a big hill, then you climb a bigger hill, then you go half way down the big hill and then go up a really big hill, then you go all the way down to where you almost started at the flatlands. losing all the altitude you gained. this goes on and on and on, it's not a linear climb and you're constantly losing and re-climbing the same altitude only gaining marginally with each new climb. while technically from point (a) to point (b) is 2500'+, it takes 26,000' of climbing to get there and back.
    I've ridden and raced all over Colorado and I'll pretty much guarantee you that you are not climbing anywhere near that much. You're talking over a 1000ft per mile. I've climbed mountaineering routes that aren't that steep. They just don't make roads that climb like that over those distances, anywhere. Maybe you can state the roads you're talking about and we can give them a look-see.
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  21. #2896
    Geck, wo ist mein Fahrrad Rx Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Front Range
    Posts
    715
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
    Sure, but 26 kft in 50 miles still seems like a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homeyba View Post
    I've ridden and raced all over Colorado and I'll pretty much guarantee you that you are not climbing anywhere near that much.
    you're both probably right I'm using the Neos Pro bike computer that is packed with so many "features" it doesn't do half of them well. it uses air pressure to figure altitude and it's fluctuated 250' just in the bike stand over a week.
    just the same being in the mountains isn't the same as getting to the mountains. once you're in the high country you don't dip up and down nearly as much as you would in the rollers, hogbacks, flatirons and front range. it's like a mountain town may be a few miles from another town as the crow flies but the road between them isn't straight and because of switchbacks and following a canyon or going around a mountain that few miles turns out to be a lot more.
    I'm certainly not saying I'm climbing a 26,000 mountain I'm saying I'm constantly losing what I've gained and then gaining it again. this silly computer pretends to keep track of all that, it really only proves to me that technology is a joke and I should just enjoy the ride. there's no way I'd buy a Garmin or a smartphone, the only reason I got this computer is my Giant came with "ride sense" and I fell for the hype. for what it's worth I ride Horsetooth, Pinewood and Carter Lake reservoirs then Horsetooth again.

  22. #2897
    Senior Member Homeyba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Central Coast, California
    My Bikes
    Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light
    Posts
    3,370
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rx Rider View Post
    you're both probably right I'm using the Neos Pro bike computer that is packed with so many "features" it doesn't do half of them well. it uses air pressure to figure altitude and it's fluctuated 250' just in the bike stand over a week.... what it's worth I ride Horsetooth, Pinewood and Carter Lake reservoirs then Horsetooth again.
    I think your confuser is giving you bogus data. You ride out of Loveland or Ft. Collins? Beautiful area to ride in. I was just there a couple weeks ago (Erie actually). Most of those climbs are in the "normal" 5%-10% range. Definitely good respectable climbing but probably less than half what your Neos is telling you.
    It doesn't get harder, you just go slower.

  23. #2898
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,484
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    In any event, it's interesting that helmet wearers are over-represented in emergency room head-injury presentations in Holland.
    Interesting, maybe, but hardly conclusive. Since most in Holland don't wear helmets, those who do may be those who put themselves in situations where they are more likely to injure themselves. I.e., if they weren't wearing helmets they'd probably still have ended up in the emergency room with head injuries.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  24. #2899
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    My Bikes
    A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
    Posts
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
    ...given the clear bias against "roadies" in the article, it's not clear that it can be trusted as being an accurate portrayal of the data. Since it supports your side, you accept it non-critically.
    PLEASE read http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post14465784. I'm pretty sure the numbers are correct.

  25. #2900
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many sports have safety equiptment. I fail to understand why a small vocal minority refuse to use safety equiptment for cycling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •