Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1670. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    178 10.66%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    94 5.63%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    648 38.80%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    408 24.43%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    342 20.48%
Page 15 of 350 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 375 of 8743
  1. #351
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3kmi View Post
    I'm at 6 ,yes you read that correctly, concussions, so riding without a helmet is a big no no in my book
    Actually, that's 6 HELMETED cyclists with concussions. Seems helmets don't prevent concussion, asn as far as asking someone if they think a helmet saved their life all you are going to get back is an uneducated guess. Really makes no sense to ask this. Are you trying to prove something based on opinion? Can't be done, espescially with uneducated opinion.
    "There are many causes worth dying for. There are none worth killing for." Albert Camus

  2. #352
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Long Beach, Ca.
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Sojourn, '67 Raleigh Super Course, old Gary Fisher Mamba, and a generic Chinese folder
    Posts
    576
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unionmade View Post
    I've gone down twice in the last two years while commuting in city traffic (both after having another cyclist make an unadvertised turn in front of me). Helmet bounced off the pavement both time. Got up and continued my commute both times. Would not have without a helmet. Enough for me.

    You don't know this. Good possibility you may not have hit your head at all, considering the increased size of your noggin with the styrofoam hat on. While your uneducated opinion may differ, you really don't know.
    "There are many causes worth dying for. There are none worth killing for." Albert Camus

  3. #353
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat fink View Post
    I guess that would depend on what a person's riding involves. I wonder how many people who don't wear helmets are the types who also descend regularly at speeds ranging in the high 50s to low 60s (mph), and under what circumstances. Does anyone against helmets for cycling, feel they are not necessary in a criterium race?
    Well, I'm not "against" helmets, I just don't feel them necessary for most of the riding I do. My descending speeds these days are limited to 30-35 MPH. It's hard for me to believe I was once comfortable descending at freeway speeds - and frankly, I think a few ounces of foam is a joke in those circumstances. A motorcyclist will wear 20 pounds of protective gear when riding at those speeds.

    I'm also too damn old to enter a criterium under any circumstance - especially considering I'd have to ride the 4/5s to be remotely competitive. But if you forced me to ride one at gunpoint, I would certainly want a helmet. Such circumstances would increase my chances of crashing by a significant factor, and if nothing else, a bicycle helmet might prevent a nasty scalp wound. Never mind that "back in the day" I did all my crit riding (and crashing) in a leather hairnet, which never touched the ground.

  4. #354
    Senior Member Monster Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Warwick, UK
    My Bikes
    2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion
    Posts
    1,048
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baj32161 View Post
    Something I do not understand is that I have yet to hear those who refuse to wear a helmet give a really convincing argument (in my mind at least) as to why they don't or won't wear one. I really don't think it is a comfort issue, or a vanity issue. In fact, with some of the arguments I HAVE heard, it just seems to be an issue of defiance.....like "nobody has the right to tell me what I have to wear or what I have to do." I also wonder, in how many locales is wearing a helmet mandatory for adults.
    That may come into it for some people, but I think for the majority of bare-headed cyclists, it's the recognition that cycling safely on the road simply isn't dangerous enough to require a helmet. Some would counter that with something like 'you aren't losing anything by wearing one' but to that we argue that there are other day-to-day activities, with a similar or greater risk level to cycling, that no one even considers wearing a helmet for. Climbing a ladder is one example.

    For something like downhill mountain biking or riding in snow, the situation is different. The loose and/or uneven terrain makes falling off more likely, and protruding rocks, tree branches etc also make direct head impacts more likely, compared to road cycling where you're more likely to fall on your side. I do wear a helmet when riding in snow.

    Basically, it boils down to a combination of the low risk associated with non-competitive road cycling (other cycling activites are a different story) and the limited protective capabilities of cycle helmets. Like any activity, it's a case of weighing up level of risk vs level of protection. To bare-headed cyclists, the answer is that helmets are not usually necessary.

    The point you made about helmets for children is a good one. Kids who are learning to ride are much more likely to fall off than adults, and their skulls may not be as fully formed (someone might correct me on this) so for them, helmets make a lot more sense. When riding with their parents, it's far simpler for the parents to lead by example than it is to explain why the kids need helmets and the adults do not.
    Last edited by Monster Pete; 10-28-11 at 07:04 AM.
    I've got a bike, you can ride if you like it's got a basket, a bell that rings and things to make it look good- Pink Floyd, 1967

  5. #355
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Pete View Post
    ...

    Basically, it boils down to a combination of the low risk associated with non-competitive road cycling (other cycling activites are a different story) and the limited protective capabilities of cycle helmets... Kids who are learning to ride are much more likely to fall off than adults, and their skulls may not be as fully formed (someone might correct me on this) so for them, helmets make a lot more sense. When riding with their parents, it's far simpler for the parents to lead by example than it is to explain why the kids need helmets and the adults do not.
    Agree with your 2 points about non-use but I think it's always better to explain things to kids. They can understand if it's a simple explanation.

    I think a parent wearing a helmet will display to the child that cycling is dangerous, and that example will stick with them their whole life.
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

  6. #356
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,155
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A word of warning to the anti helmet crowd. With winter comming on you have to quit peeing into the wind, its going to freeze and you might catch cold. Do you guys understand that all your troll postings are NOT going to convince the helmet users to quit wearing them. And the big question remains -----why the hell do you care if most of us wear a helmet?????

  7. #357
    Infamous Member chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
    Posts
    24,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat fink View Post
    I guess that would depend on what a person's riding involves. I wonder how many people who don't wear helmets are the types who also descend regularly at speeds ranging in the high 50s to low 60s (mph), and under what circumstances. Does anyone against helmets for cycling, feel they are not necessary in a criterium race?
    Race car drivers wear helmets when racing, but not when driving to-from the track, or church or dinner, etc. Same applies to many cyclists like me - I'll wear a helmet in a crit or road race, but not when riding to work or the store or doing the tourist thing.

    But some feel the risk of "normal" recreational/utility riding warrants a helmet as well...great, I support their decision to do so, as long as they support my decision not to and don't start in with all this darwin organ donor BS.

    I am not "against" helmets for cycling or anything else...I just don't feel the need to wear one myself in most situations.
    Last edited by chipcom; 10-28-11 at 07:47 AM.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  8. #358
    Infamous Member chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
    Posts
    24,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    A And the big question remains -----why the hell do you care if most of us wear a helmet?????
    we don't...that you think anyone does is your own personal delusion.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  9. #359
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    4,155
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    closet

    Your hundreds of posts say otherwise. As far as I am concerned I really dont care what you or the anti helmet trolls think. The fact is most people dont think anyway.

    Riding my bent, the only two pieces of cycling gear that I use are a helmet, and cycling shoes. Since bents dont require cycling duds to mitigate problems caused by DF bikes, I wear T shirts mostly from club rides and rugby shorts. Again do I care what other people think--------not one whit. And that goes for helmets too.

  10. #360
    Infamous Member chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
    Posts
    24,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    closet

    Your hundreds of posts say otherwise. As far as I am concerned I really dont care what you or the anti helmet trolls think. The fact is most people dont think anyway.
    closet? I think you're hearing the voices in your head again, because he didn't even respond to your troll. For someone who doesn't care, you sure do spend a lot of time trolling this thread.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  11. #361
    Iconoclast rat fink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    3,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    Well, I'm not "against" helmets, I just don't feel them necessary for most of the riding I do. My descending speeds these days are limited to 30-35 MPH. It's hard for me to believe I was once comfortable descending at freeway speeds - and frankly, I think a few ounces of foam is a joke in those circumstances. A motorcyclist will wear 20 pounds of protective gear when riding at those speeds.
    Good reply, (all of it, not just what I highlighted). I can see how some my feel that their riding situation doesn't warrant a helmet. For those who ride in such a way that they are unlikely to crash, like commuting, or limiting one's speed, it could certainly be argued that a helmet isn't as necessary as it might be otherwise. I figure that for experienced cyclists, it should be up to them how they want to prioritize it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Pete View Post
    That may come into it for some people, but I think for the majority of bare-headed cyclists, it's the recognition that cycling safely on the road simply isn't dangerous enough to require a helmet. Some would counter that with something like 'you aren't losing anything by wearing one' but to that we argue that there are other day-to-day activities, with a similar or greater risk level to cycling, that no one even considers wearing a helmet for. Climbing a ladder is one example.

    For something like downhill mountain biking or riding in snow, the situation is different. The loose and/or uneven terrain makes falling off more likely, and protruding rocks, tree branches etc also make direct head impacts more likely, compared to road cycling where you're more likely to fall on your side. I do wear a helmet when riding in snow.

    Basically, it boils down to a combination of the low risk associated with non-competitive road cycling (other cycling activites are a different story) and the limited protective capabilities of cycle helmets. Like any activity, it's a case of weighing up level of risk vs level of protection. To bare-headed cyclists, the answer is that helmets are not usually necessary.

    The point you made about helmets for children is a good one. Kids who are learning to ride are much more likely to fall off than adults, and their skulls may not be as fully formed (someone might correct me on this) so for them, helmets make a lot more sense. When riding with their parents, it's far simpler for the parents to lead by example than it is to explain why the kids need helmets and the adults do not.
    This is a good post also. I can why some cycling advocates might feel that not wearing a helmet sends the message that anyone can ride, etc. You make the point that the activity should be considered in deciding whether or not a helmet should worn, I agree with that as well. Children, riding in snow/ice, mountain biking, and some speed, or handling oriented cycling are certainly more relevant to helmet wearing as the type/frequency of crash, change in those circumstances.
    "Winning is the best deodorant. Someone can look at your bike and say it stinks, but if you win with it, suddenly it's okay." - Jim Busby

  12. #362
    Iconoclast rat fink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    3,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
    Agree with your 2 points about non-use but I think it's always better to explain things to kids. They can understand if it's a simple explanation.

    I think a parent wearing a helmet will display to the child that cycling is dangerous, and that example will stick with them their whole life.
    Your first point about explaining is true. However, kids have a keen awareness of double standards and hypocrisy. When parents say something and don't follow their own rules, children will sense the insincerity of their actions and it devalues their words.

    As for the helmet example being a message that cycling is dangerous, I'm not so sure, but I will leave it at that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
    Actually, that's 6 HELMETED cyclists with concussions. Seems helmets don't prevent concussion...
    Did he say that his six concussions were even from cycling? I got the impression that he was talking reference to his lifetime. I've had six concussions, but they were all from other activities.
    Last edited by rat fink; 10-28-11 at 10:15 AM.
    "Winning is the best deodorant. Someone can look at your bike and say it stinks, but if you win with it, suddenly it's okay." - Jim Busby

  13. #363
    Iconoclast rat fink's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    California
    My Bikes
    Colnago Super, Fuji Opus III, Specialized Rockhopper
    Posts
    3,148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chipcom View Post
    Race car drivers wear helmets when racing, but not when driving to-from the track, or church or dinner, etc. Same applies to many cyclists like me - I'll wear a helmet in a crit or road race, but not when riding to work or the store or doing the tourist thing.

    But some feel the risk of "normal" recreational/utility riding warrants a helmet as well...great, I support their decision to do so, as long as they support my decision not to and don't start in with all this darwin organ donor BS.

    I am not "against" helmets for cycling or anything else...I just don't feel the need to wear one myself in most situations.
    Sounds reasonable to me. On the flip side of things, I find that a helmet is almost always appropriate for my style of riding. Every time I get on a bike, I can expect to be faced with certain (high) level of risk. Though I ride within my abilities, I take corners fast, sprint often, bunny hop often, don't decrease my speed on rough surfaces, and generally ride as fast as I can everywhere I go. I observe most traffic laws and am aware of my surroundings as I ride. I could slow down and have a lot fewer incidents, but then I wouldn't enjoy riding as much. So yeah, I take more risks, but I am also a thrill junkie, so I prepare for a ride appropriately. Someone who does not do what I do on a bike, probably does not need to be as concerned with things like that.
    "Winning is the best deodorant. Someone can look at your bike and say it stinks, but if you win with it, suddenly it's okay." - Jim Busby

  14. #364
    Bicikli Huszár sudo bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    My Bikes
    '95 Novara Randonee
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baj32161 View Post
    Wow...an interesting helmet thread, whoda thunk it? This has always been a polarizing subject and I actually enjoy reading all points of view. Now having said that...in my own experience, bike helmets wwere not even heard of in the US when I began riding road bikes back when I was in grade 6 in 1972....even through my high school and university years, you never saw anyone using a helmet, and I do not know what the casualty statistics were at that time. I stopped riding for years after that and picked t up again about 7 years ago and have, since then, always worn my helmet. Since i started riding again, i have gone out on my bike all of once without it, and I felt quite uncomfortable. I do not believe that it is my place to pontificate to other cyclists about helmet use so I do not do it but I always wear my helmet and I do WISH others would. Something I do not understand is that I have yet to hear those who refuse to wear a helmet give a really convincing argument (in my mind at least) as to why they don't or won't wear one. I really don't think it is a comfort issue, or a vanity issue. In fact, with some of the arguments I HAVE heard, it just seems to be an issue of defiance.....like "nobody has the right to tell me what I have to wear or what I have to do." I also wonder, in how many locales is wearing a helmet mandatory for adults.

    One thing that does bother me a bit is when i see families with young children out riding with the kids wearing helmets but the parents going without.
    For me, it's definitely a comfort issue. Fresno gets bloody hot in the summer, and a helmet leaves me arriving to work far more sweaty than if I leave it alone. Plus, feeling a cool breeze through your hair is a pretty darned good feeling. Also is the PITA of dealing with the helmet if I make stops. I tried locking it to the bike when I still wore one, and it got stolen (cut the straps). All of the above balanced with the seemingly small benefit of mitigating a minor injury (I don't believe they save lives or prevent brain damage) leaves me with forgoing the helmet.
    "The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind. I love the bicycle. I always have. I can think of no sincere, decent human being, male or female, young or old, saint or sinner, who can resist the bicycle."

    - William Saroyan

  15. #365
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat fink View Post
    ... kids have a keen awareness of double standards and hypocrisy. When parents say something and don't follow their own rules, children will sense the insincerity of their actions and it devalues their words...
    there's no double standard if something is appropriate for one person/situation and not another. They need to know when something is appropriate and when it isn't
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

  16. #366
    Bicikli Huszár sudo bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    My Bikes
    '95 Novara Randonee
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat fink View Post
    I guess that would depend on what a person's riding involves. I wonder how many people who don't wear helmets are the types who also descend regularly at speeds ranging in the high 50s to low 60s (mph), and under what circumstances. Does anyone against helmets for cycling, feel they are not necessary in a criterium race?
    Myself, I don't have a problem with various organized events requiring them. While I don't think they are necessary for casual rides, anything above that carries a far greater risk of a solo or bike-on-bike crash along with cyclists pushing their limits, both not really applicable to most folks riding a bike. If there is some reason that your risk of a solo fall goes up, such as a race, pushing yourself, or inclement weather, wearing one might make a bit more sense. I wear one when we get the first rain of the season, or when we've had a freeze. Other than that, I leave it at home.
    "The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind. I love the bicycle. I always have. I can think of no sincere, decent human being, male or female, young or old, saint or sinner, who can resist the bicycle."

    - William Saroyan

  17. #367
    Infamous Member chipcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    My Bikes
    Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
    Posts
    24,373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rat fink View Post
    Sounds reasonable to me. On the flip side of things, I find that a helmet is almost always appropriate for my style of riding. Every time I get on a bike, I can expect to be faced with certain (high) level of risk. Though I ride within my abilities, I take corners fast, sprint often, bunny hop often, don't decrease my speed on rough surfaces, and generally ride as fast as I can everywhere I go. I observe most traffic laws and am aware of my surroundings as I ride. I could slow down and have a lot fewer incidents, but then I wouldn't enjoy riding as much. So yeah, I take more risks, but I am also a thrill junkie, so I prepare for a ride appropriately. Someone who does not do what I do on a bike, probably does not need to be as concerned with things like that.
    If I want thrills, there are lots better ways to get them than riding a bike...which is as natural to me as walking. If I want thrills I can jump out of a perfectly good airplane, off a perfectly good mountain, or just go back to some combat zone so people can shoot at me and try to blow me up.

    I kinda like the relative non-thrill of riding a bike.
    "Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

  18. #368
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hippiebrian View Post
    You don't know this. Good possibility you may not have hit your head at all, considering the increased size of your noggin with the styrofoam hat on. While your uneducated opinion may differ, you really don't know.
    You don't know different. You actually have even less to go on than unionmade. There's just as good a possibility that he may have hit his head anyway, without a helmet. You really don't know and can't say.
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  19. #369
    Senior Member Laserman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    My Bikes
    09 Giant Cypress DX, 89 Schwinn Cruiser Supreme
    Posts
    380
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    A word of warning to the anti helmet crowd. With winter comming on you have to quit peeing into the wind, its going to freeze and you might catch cold. Do you guys understand that all your troll postings are NOT going to convince the helmet users to quit wearing them. And the big question remains -----why the hell do you care if most of us wear a helmet?????
    As chipcom pointed out, no such "anti-helmet crowd" exists, nor does anyone care whether or not you wear a helmet.
    This has been stated over and over again in this thread. Failure to grasp this concept could possibly indicate a cognitive dysfunction condition.
    You may want to consult a physician as early diagnosis is often the key to curing or minimizing the impact of such problems.
    Set phasers to butt-whup!

  20. #370
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by closetbiker View Post
    there's no double standard if something is appropriate for one person/situation and not another. They need to know when something is appropriate and when it isn't
    Like when I tell my 3.5 year old that she can't drive the car or use the shotgun or drink tequila until she's 18?

  21. #371
    Nobody mconlonx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,460
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    Like when I tell my 3.5 year old that she can't drive the car or use the shotgun or drink tequila until she's 18?
    You should at least let her do two out of three...
    I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.

  22. #372
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    My Bikes
    A load of ancient, old and semi-vintage bikes of divers sorts
    Posts
    1,827
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    A word of warning to the anti helmet crowd. With winter comming on you have to quit peeing into the wind, its going to freeze and you might catch cold. Do you guys understand that all your troll postings are NOT going to convince the helmet users to quit wearing them. And the big question remains -----why the hell do you care if most of us wear a helmet?????
    "Troll postings"? You mean, like http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post13419102 ?

    Next question: Are you able to understand the difference between sayin on the one side

    "Don't wear a helmet!!"

    and, on the other side

    "A helmet is probably of very little use, so you don't really need it" plus
    "Helmet campaigns do more harm than good, as they picture cycling as dangerous"?

    Good. I thought so.

  23. #373
    Senior Member closetbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    9,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RazrSkutr View Post
    Like when I tell my 3.5 year old that she can't drive the car or use the shotgun or drink tequila until she's 18?
    ... or she can drive when she's at least 16 and passes the test, or can give up the floating device when she learns to swim ....
    "My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything" -Peter Golkin
    [SIGPIC]http://www.wulffmorgenthaler.com/striphandler.ashx?stripid=57f6ca71-73a8-42a3-acc4-29e6d333df27[/SIGPIC]

  24. #374
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world would be a sadder place without the occasional shotgun-toting, tequila-drinking, Mustang-driving teenaged girl.

  25. #375
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,206
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I notice this guy isn't wearing a helmet. Doesn't he understand that it would save his life in the event of a 500 foot fall?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •