Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet 178 10.66%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped 94 5.63%
I've always worn a helmet 648 38.80%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do 408 24.43%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions 342 20.48%
Voters: 1670. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-12, 10:21 PM   #3851
rekmeyata
Senior Member
 
rekmeyata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 8,227
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
I think we should make a bet as to how many posts will this generate before a mod closes it or no one responds to it anymore, and the person who gets the closest gets a prize from the Bike Forums.
rekmeyata is offline  
Old 10-29-12, 12:29 AM   #3852
sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár
 
sudo bike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fresno, CA
Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee
Posts: 2,116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It'll probably always be here in some form. Mods like to stick off-track threads that drift into helmet territory here. May as well put it all in one place where people know there be dragons rather than letting it spill into the rest of the forums (worse than now, that is).
sudo bike is offline  
Old 10-29-12, 07:09 AM   #3853
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,856
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
What I find disgusting about the anti helmet cult is when cyclist such as myself that have been in accidents and report that our helmets prevented some injury, the cult immediately make sport of it. They just cant truck anyone with real world experience disproving their view. They spew "studies" that claim helmets are of no use at all. Yet in the REAL WORLD those of us that have been saved some injury know better.
rydabent is offline  
Old 10-29-12, 08:02 AM   #3854
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,351
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
What I find disgusting about the anti helmet cult is when cyclist such as myself that have been in accidents and report that our helmets prevented some injury, the cult immediately make sport of it. They just cant truck anyone with real world experience disproving their view. They spew "studies" that claim helmets are of no use at all. Yet in the REAL WORLD those of us that have been saved some injury know better.
Well, usually you and others who post in kind are as wrong as the bare-head brigadiers: you and your ilk really can't say what injuries were or might have been prevented; but they can't really say it did nothing at all, or even that it did not work exactly as claimed.

You're usually as wrong as you think they are.

Yup.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline  
Old 10-29-12, 03:47 PM   #3855
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,856
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
ncon

In my case I was knocked over side ways at a low speed. I hid the side of my helmet on the pavement. There were scratches and gravel dents on the side of my helmet. If I had not been wearing a helmet my ear and the side of my face would have the gravel in wounds. Also I was not knocked senseless.
rydabent is offline  
Old 10-29-12, 07:35 PM   #3856
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
Also I was not knocked senseless.
So what is your excuse?
Six jours is offline  
Old 10-30-12, 01:07 AM   #3857
Daves_Not_Here
On your right
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern California
Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
I gave that link myself here early on but it was booed hooed away. Now it's your turn to be ridiculed.
Oops, sorry I missed it -- didn't mean to double post.

The best thing about that site is that the author demostrates how to strongly state a position without denigrating the opposing viewpoint -- very effective method of persuasion and advocacy. Reminds me to elevate my own communications. Sometimes.
Daves_Not_Here is offline  
Old 10-30-12, 07:15 AM   #3858
rydabent
Senior Member
 
rydabent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lincoln Ne
Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
Posts: 5,856
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
six

More personal attacks do not further the debate. Personal attacks are resorted to when someone cannot refute facts.
rydabent is offline  
Old 10-30-12, 09:26 AM   #3859
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 38,000Km on it, 10,000Km with a BionX assist on it
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
six

More personal attacks do not further the debate. Personal attacks are resorted to when someone cannot refute facts.
+1 But unfortunately that is almost always the end result of most/any disagreement on the web...
350htrr is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 01:27 AM   #3860
mr_pedro
Senior Member
 
mr_pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I come from a country with an average of more than 1 bike per person, it has the least amount of biker fatalities per mile traveled and helmets amongst commuters, by far the largest group, are non existent.
I can tell you that to make biking safer in the US you should not worry about helmets, instead look at improving infrastructure and above all create awareness for bikes in trafic. One of the best ways to do that is to get more people on the bike, unfortunately big pro helmet campaigns rely on fear to get people to wear helmets and that doesn't help to get more people riding their bikes.
mr_pedro is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 07:14 AM   #3861
skye
Senior Member
 
skye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
I come from a country with an average of more than 1 bike per person, it has the least amount of biker fatalities per mile traveled and helmets amongst commuters, by far the largest group, are non existent.
I can tell you that to make biking safer in the US you should not worry about helmets, instead look at improving infrastructure and above all create awareness for bikes in trafic. One of the best ways to do that is to get more people on the bike, unfortunately big pro helmet campaigns rely on fear to get people to wear helmets and that doesn't help to get more people riding their bikes.

Thank you for the breath of sanity.

Now, prepare yourself for the onslaught from the Culture of Fear.
skye is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 08:54 AM   #3862
mr_pedro
Senior Member
 
mr_pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
Thank you for the breath of sanity.

Now, prepare yourself for the onslaught from the Culture of Fear.
I think that there is one thing we can all agree on: it is in general safer to ride with an helmet than without (provided you won't enter into more reckless behavior because of wearing a helmet). I wear one when cruising along at 20+ mph on my road bike, I just don't see the necessity to wear one when commuting at 15 mph taking it easy on the hybrid bike.

But this is a choice everyone can and should make for themselves. People should just be aware that the helmet contributes very little to bike safety and can even decrease safety if:

* we start riding more recklessly with helmet
* drivers give you less space as you seem less vulnerable with helmet
* promoting helmet use leads to less people on bikes as it makes people afraid and misunderstand the risks of riding a bike. Just the health problems from this decrease in exercise already outweigh the health benefits from using a helmet.

quote from Canadian doctor DeMarco: "Ultimately, helmet laws save a few brains but destroy many hearts"

I am still not saying that one shouldn't use a helmet if they want to, it is just the fear that is put into people by active pro-helmet movements that is causing harm.
mr_pedro is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 10:21 AM   #3863
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 38,000Km on it, 10,000Km with a BionX assist on it
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
I think that there is one thing we can all agree on: it is in general safer to ride with an helmet than without (provided you won't enter into more reckless behavior because of wearing a helmet). I wear one when cruising along at 20+ mph on my road bike, I just don't see the necessity to wear one when commuting at 15 mph taking it easy on the hybrid bike.

But this is a choice everyone can and should make for themselves. People should just be aware that the helmet contributes very little to bike safety and can even decrease safety if:

* we start riding more recklessly with helmet
* drivers give you less space as you seem less vulnerable with helmet
* promoting helmet use leads to less people on bikes as it makes people afraid and misunderstand the risks of riding a bike. Just the health problems from this decrease in exercise already outweigh the health benefits from using a helmet.

quote from Canadian doctor DeMarco: "Ultimately, helmet laws save a few brains but destroy many hearts"

I am still not saying that one shouldn't use a helmet if they want to, it is just the fear that is put into people by active pro-helmet movements that is causing harm.
Careful there now, commonsense, well thems there words in red is fighting words around here...

Last edited by 350htrr; 10-31-12 at 11:25 AM.
350htrr is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 12:29 PM   #3864
skye
Senior Member
 
skye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
I think that there is one thing we can all agree on: it is in general safer to ride with an helmet than without (provided you won't enter into more reckless behavior because of wearing a helmet).
Actually, I don't agree with that. First, there is the fact that helmets increase the rotational component of a crash, thus increasing your risk of DAI; and secondly, there is the somewhat more complex argument (but one supported by the data nonetheless) that (a) the most protective variable in keeping cyclists on the road, but (b) wearing helmets causes people to perceive cycling as more dangerous than it is (cycling is actually quite safe), leading to (c) demands that people wear helmets, either social or legislative, reduce the number of cyclists, which takes me back to (a).

In other words, the more people that wear helmets, the more people think cycling is dangerous, thus fewer people cycle, thus increasing the danger for the remaining cyclists because their are fewer cyclists on the road.

So I am against the recommendation that people should wear helmets, because it is poor public health policy. However, if an individual wants to wear one, I really don't care one way or the other, because cycling is already pretty safe.
skye is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 02:31 PM   #3865
mr_pedro
Senior Member
 
mr_pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
Actually, I don't agree with that. First, there is the fact that helmets increase the rotational component of a crash, thus increasing your risk of DAI; and secondly, there is the somewhat more complex argument (but one supported by the data nonetheless) that (a) the most protective variable in keeping cyclists on the road, but (b) wearing helmets causes people to perceive cycling as more dangerous than it is (cycling is actually quite safe), leading to (c) demands that people wear helmets, either social or legislative, reduce the number of cyclists, which takes me back to (a).

In other words, the more people that wear helmets, the more people think cycling is dangerous, thus fewer people cycle, thus increasing the danger for the remaining cyclists because their are fewer cyclists on the road.

So I am against the recommendation that people should wear helmets, because it is poor public health policy. However, if an individual wants to wear one, I really don't care one way or the other, because cycling is already pretty safe.
In your point (a) "in" should be "is"?

My point that you quote is only that for the same type of crash you will be better off in general wearing a helmet. I am saying the same thing as you mention under (a) and (c).

I understand that there are situations where a helmet makes the damage worse but are you saying that if you know you are going to fall and hit your head you would prefer not wearing an helmet?
mr_pedro is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 02:38 PM   #3866
Monster Pete
Senior Member
 
Monster Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Warwick, UK
Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion
Posts: 1,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Pete View Post
Sometimes Rydabent chimes in with his usual 'anti-helmet cult' drivel
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
What I find disgusting about the anti helmet cult is when cyclist such as myself that have been in accidents and report that our helmets prevented some injury, the cult immediately make sport of it. They just cant truck anyone with real world experience disproving their view. They spew "studies" that claim helmets are of no use at all. Yet in the REAL WORLD those of us that have been saved some injury know better.
Monster Pete is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 02:54 PM   #3867
350htrr
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canada, PG BC
Bikes: 27 speed oryx with over 38,000Km on it, 10,000Km with a BionX assist on it
Posts: 2,439
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
In your point (a) "in" should be "is"?

My point that you quote is only that for the same type of crash you will be better off in general wearing a helmet. I am saying the same thing as you mention under (a) and (c).

I understand that there are situations where a helmet makes the damage worse but are you saying that if you know you are going to fall and hit your head you would prefer not wearing an helmet?
Yea, I do believe that is basically what the anti-helmet bunch is saying... I made up a test in my post 3810, to see what hurts more when you hit your head on the pavement, wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet, but nobody is doing it/has done it to prove the helmet-less theory...

EDIT; Or at least you would be better of in a crash without a helmet than with a helmet... ???

Last edited by 350htrr; 10-31-12 at 03:03 PM.
350htrr is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 03:00 PM   #3868
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rock Springs, WY
Bikes: My War
Posts: 27,194
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
After 35 years of riding bicycles, my chances of falling on my head while JRA are on par with the chances of such while jogging. No helmet while jogging either.

I wear a lid while racing bicycles, though.

No head bashing or helmet bashing required. Dontcha know that ruining helmets is bad for the environment? The main problem with these helmet/head bashing contests is that they presume head/helmet bashing is a normal part of everyday bicycle riding. If it is for you, then you're doing it wrong.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 10-31-12 at 03:16 PM.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 10-31-12, 03:13 PM   #3869
curbtender
Senior Member
 
curbtender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, East bay
Bikes: Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
Posts: 3,993
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I'm not a gun owner, but if i thought I was going to be robbed I'd like to have a gun on me. Same goes for accidents and helmets.
curbtender is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 03:48 PM   #3870
Six jours
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 6,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
I'm not a gun owner, but if i thought I was going to be robbed I'd like to have a gun on me. Same goes for accidents and helmets.
If I thought I was going to be robbed I'd go somewhere else. And if I thought I was going to crash my bicycle and land on my head I'd stay home.
Six jours is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 03:52 PM   #3871
skye
Senior Member
 
skye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
Yea, I do believe that is basically what the anti-helmet bunch is saying... I made up a test in my post 3810, to see what hurts more when you hit your head on the pavement, wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet, but nobody is doing it/has done it to prove the helmet-less theory...
And I pointed out to you that the test had already been done, and gave you chapter and verse. At which point you claimed you were too scientifically illiterate to understand such studies.

So you have, in fact, posed a question to which you admit you cannot understand the answer.

Or, as I suspect is closer to the truth, the answer contradicts your beliefs, so you claim ignorance to ignore it.
skye is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 03:53 PM   #3872
mr_pedro
Senior Member
 
mr_pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
Yea, I do believe that is basically what the anti-helmet bunch is saying... I made up a test in my post 3810, to see what hurts more when you hit your head on the pavement, wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet, but nobody is doing it/has done it to prove the helmet-less theory...

EDIT; Or at least you would be better of in a crash without a helmet than with a helmet... ???
I had read that post, but it seems like arguments are being mixed up. For me it is clear that in general I would prefer to have a helmet if I know I am going to fall while on the bike, while climbing a ladder, while running, while in bath... However that is not an argument for the necessity to always put on a helmet during such activities, that should be an individual risk/return trade off that everyone should make for themselves. It just seems that the risks of riding a bike are overstated, not in the last place because of campaigns to get people to use helmets.

However the claim that one would prefer not having a helmet when falling is quite surprising...
mr_pedro is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 03:53 PM   #3873
skye
Senior Member
 
skye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 890
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
I'm not a gun owner, but if i thought I was going to be robbed I'd like to have a gun on me. Same goes for accidents and helmets.
In your analogy, a bicycle helmet is the equivalent of an unloaded gun.
skye is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 03:56 PM   #3874
mr_pedro
Senior Member
 
mr_pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye View Post
And I pointed out to you that the test had already been done, and gave you chapter and verse. At which point you claimed you were too scientifically illiterate to understand such studies.

So you have, in fact, posed a question to which you admit you cannot understand the answer.

Or, as I suspect is closer to the truth, the answer contradicts your beliefs, so you claim ignorance to ignore it.
I still don't understand from your answer if you believe that in general you are better of without a helmet when you fall, so if you know you are going to fall, would you prefer not having a helmet?
mr_pedro is offline  
Old 10-31-12, 03:58 PM   #3875
mr_pedro
Senior Member
 
mr_pedro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Bikes:
Posts: 476
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
If I thought I was going to be robbed I'd go somewhere else. And if I thought I was going to crash my bicycle and land on my head I'd stay home.
Although correct, that is not the point.
mr_pedro is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:58 PM.