Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1621. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    170 10.49%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    92 5.68%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    633 39.05%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    397 24.49%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    329 20.30%
Page 156 of 345 FirstFirst ... 56106146154155156157158166206256 ... LastLast
Results 3,876 to 3,900 of 8601
  1. #3876
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    19,985
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I prefer way more protection than a helmet if I know I'm going to fall. Full leathers, MC boots, kneepads, elbow pads, MC or autoracing helmet, neck brace, chest protector, etc.

    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  2. #3877
    Senior Member skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
    In your point (a) "in" should be "is"?

    My point that you quote is only that for the same type of crash you will be better off in general wearing a helmet. I am saying the same thing as you mention under (a) and (c).

    I understand that there are situations where a helmet makes the damage worse but are you saying that if you know you are going to fall and hit your head you would prefer not wearing an helmet?
    Yeah. In an Artie Johnson-type fall, I'm unlikely to hurt my head in the first place. In any real-world bicycle crash, a helmet may likely do me more harm than good.

  3. #3878
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada, PG BC
    My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    And I pointed out to you that the test had already been done, and gave you chapter and verse. At which point you claimed you were too scientifically illiterate to understand such studies.

    So you have, in fact, posed a question to which you admit you cannot understand the answer.

    Or, as I suspect is closer to the truth, the answer contradicts your beliefs, so you claim ignorance to ignore it.
    Yes, when I look at all those mumbo-jumbo numbers proving this or that, I do tend to ignore them when thinking about what would happen in real life, and using commonsense tells me different... Just like you are ignoring what my tests would do to your head if you did them, thus you too, are ignoring facts that would contradict your beliefs, and you claim the answer is in the tests and are different than I would get doing my test... And yet I believe you won't do my test because deep down you know that wearing a helmet will/could help in most situations where you find yourself needing a helmet. Again I will admit that in some circumstances a helmet could be worse, but in my opinion the studies outcome/conclusion that not wearing a helmet is actually better, is what I have a big problem believing in all those mumbo-jumbo numbers...

    EDIT; I guess what it boils down to, is that my commonsense tells me to ignore the numbers/studies, and those numbers/studies are telling you, to ignore commonsense...?
    Last edited by 350htrr; 10-31-12 at 05:08 PM.

  4. #3879
    Senior Member mr_pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    Yeah. In an Artie Johnson-type fall, I'm unlikely to hurt my head in the first place. In any real-world bicycle crash, a helmet may likely do me more harm than good.
    So there is the rotational impact argument, but clearly that is not the only type of impact that can hurt you? Do you have references or arguments to back up that overall no helmet causes less harm?

  5. #3880
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada, PG BC
    My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
    So there is the rotational impact argument, but clearly that is not the only type of impact that can hurt you? Do you have references or arguments to back up that overall no helmet causes less harm?
    The no helmet group have numbers out the ying-yang to prove that not wearing a helmet is generally "better" than wearing a helmet, but... IMO...Really, put some commonsense into the equation and, ? But I guess commonsense is for old fuddy-duddies like me...
    Last edited by 350htrr; 10-31-12 at 06:40 PM.

  6. #3881
    Senior Member skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
    So there is the rotational impact argument, but clearly that is not the only type of impact that can hurt you? Do you have references or arguments to back up that overall no helmet causes less harm?
    They're up and down this thread, my friend, I'm not going to bother to repost them.

  7. #3882
    Senior Member skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post

    EDIT; I guess what it boils down to, is that my commonsense tells me to ignore the numbers/studies, and those numbers/studies are telling you, to ignore commonsense...?
    I think you're living proof that common sense isn't as common as some people think.

  8. #3883
    Senior Member skye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    645
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    35herpderp, I found a video of the test you're looking for. Right at your level, too.


  9. #3884
    Senior Member curbtender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, East bay
    My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Posts
    2,903
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    If I thought I was going to be robbed I'd go somewhere else. And if I thought I was going to crash my bicycle and land on my head I'd stay home.
    Guess you were never a boyscout. I wouldn't have rode nude if I thought I might get a sunburn...

  10. #3885
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    I think we should make a bet as to how many posts will this generate before a mod closes it or no one responds to it anymore, and the person who gets the closest gets a prize from the Bike Forums.
    n-1. Where n is the post in which the mod announces closure of the thread.

    Bet is to have my views on helmet use acknowledged as correct by all in the new new helmet thread for a week...

    I can't wait 'til I win...

  11. #3886
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    ncon

    In my case I was knocked over side ways at a low speed. I hid the side of my helmet on the pavement. There were scratches and gravel dents on the side of my helmet. If I had not been wearing a helmet my ear and the side of my face would have the gravel in wounds. Also I was not knocked senseless.
    Gravel in wounds is conjecture; as is your implication that the helmet saved you from being 'knocked senseless.'

    Likewise, no one else can claim with any more certainty that the helmet did not work exactly as you say.

    That's the rub: as much as the helmet haterz are correct in saying you can't really claim a helmet protected you from damage you did not or wouldn't have received, they many times go a bit too far, and engage in the same type of argument they find fault with in others.

    Helmet thread is like a debate about the color green, with one side arguing it is more purple, the other that it is more orange.

  12. #3887
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    In any real-world bicycle crash, a helmet may likely do me more harm than good.
    Also: In any real-world bicycle crash, a helmet may likely do me more good than harm.

  13. #3888
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by curbtender View Post
    I'm not a *** owner, but if i thought I was going to be robbed I'd like to have a *** on me. Same goes for accidents and helmets.
    Point being, you don't know when you're going to be robbed; you never know when you'll crash your bike.

    So you should wear a helmet. Wait, that would mean you should also carry a ***...

    Equating helmet use with *** nuttery open carry paranoia.

    Well played, curbtender, well played indeed. *golf clap*

  14. #3889
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    19,985
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    How about a financial plan in place for when I win the lottery? My M-F cycling style probably has equivalent odds of head impact.
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  15. #3890
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada, PG BC
    My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skye View Post
    I think you're living proof that common sense isn't as common as some people think.
    Says the guy not wearing a helmet because he thinks it's "safer" to ride a bike that-way, to the guy that does wear a helmet while riding a bike...

  16. #3891
    Bicikli Huszár sudo bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    My Bikes
    '95 Novara Randonee
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 350htrr View Post
    Says the guy not wearing a helmet because he thinks it's "safer" to ride a bike that-way, to the guy that does wear a helmet while riding a bike...
    Go outside. Find a tall building. Look around very carefully. Common sense should tell you the earth is pretty flat. Don't need none of them "fancy" studies or "sciency" stuff to tell you what you can already find out from common sense, right?

    Or here's an alternative: While showering, slam your head against the tap with a helmet. Then repeat while not wearing a helmet. Did it hurt more without the helmet? Then obviously, you should be wearing shower helmets. Common Sense!
    "The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind. I love the bicycle. I always have. I can think of no sincere, decent human being, male or female, young or old, saint or sinner, who can resist the bicycle."

    - William Saroyan

  17. #3892
    Senior Member NCbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
    While showering, slam your head against the tap with a helmet. Then repeat while not wearing a helmet. Did it hurt more without the helmet? Then obviously, you should be wearing shower helmets. Common Sense!
    No, common sense would tell you not to "slam your head against the tap".
    __o
    _'\<,_
    (*)/ (*)

  18. #3893
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada, PG BC
    My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
    Go outside. Find a tall building. Look around very carefully. Common sense should tell you the earth is pretty flat. Don't need none of them "fancy" studies or "sciency" stuff to tell you what you can already find out from common sense, right?

    Or here's an alternative: While showering, slam your head against the tap with a helmet. Then repeat while not wearing a helmet. Did it hurt more without the helmet? Then obviously, you should be wearing shower helmets. Common Sense!
    Well This is iffy ground for me, this scientific stuff, but wasn't it proven by commonsense that the earth was round? Somebody with some commonsense and some brains noticed that the sails of ships coming into port could always be seen first, so where was the ship? Well he applied some commonsense and came up with the brainy answer that the ship was below the horizon because the earth was round, at least that's the way it was when I went to school... As for this wearing a helmet in the shower it's a straw-man argument... And I believe real huszars ride horses, not bicycles...

  19. #3894
    Senior Member mr_pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sudo bike View Post
    Go outside. Find a tall building. Look around very carefully. Common sense should tell you the earth is pretty flat. Don't need none of them "fancy" studies or "sciency" stuff to tell you what you can already find out from common sense, right?

    Or here's an alternative: While showering, slam your head against the tap with a helmet. Then repeat while not wearing a helmet. Did it hurt more without the helmet? Then obviously, you should be wearing shower helmets. Common Sense!
    This may be part of the reason why this thread is going on for so long, you are mixing up two things in your response above:

    1) Are you better off wearing a helmet when you hit your head?
    2) Is it a necessity to wear a helmet while biking?

    Now if you answer yes or no to each of these questions, there are 4 possible combination and I have seen people here arguing for 3 of those possible combinations:

    1)yes 2)yes
    1)yes 2)no
    1)no 2)no

  20. #3895
    Senior Member mr_pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    Point being, you don't know when you're going to be robbed; you never know when you'll crash your bike.

    So you should wear a helmet. Wait, that would mean you should also carry a ***...

    Equating helmet use with *** nuttery open carry paranoia.

    Well played, curbtender, well played indeed. *golf clap*
    That is the problem with analogies, I thought the *** example was very good, but only the people that understand your point already are going to understand the analogy, otherwise it will just be misinterpreted.

    His point is that if you know you are going to be robbed you would want to carry a ***, but in your day to day life, taking into account the chances of being robbed he still prefers to walk around with no ***.

    So in bike-helmet terms: If you know you are going to fall you would prefer to wear a helmet, however by itself that fact is not enough to conclude a helmet is a necessity all of the time.

  21. #3896
    Bicikli Huszár sudo bike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fresno, CA
    My Bikes
    '95 Novara Randonee
    Posts
    2,116
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NCbiker View Post
    No, common sense would tell you not to "slam your head against the tap".
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
    This may be part of the reason why this thread is going on for so long, you are mixing up two things in your response above:

    1) Are you better off wearing a helmet when you hit your head?
    2) Is it a necessity to wear a helmet while biking?

    Now if you answer yes or no to each of these questions, there are 4 possible combination and I have seen people here arguing for 3 of those possible combinations:

    1)yes 2)yes
    1)yes 2)no
    1)no 2)no
    Clearly, I was satirizing 350's "experiment" and was not at all serious. EDIT: Actually, I guess not so clearly . I meant to respond earlier but hadn't the time./edit. My point was two-fold: 1) That common sense is often wrong and usually a way to justify per-conceived notions and 2) That the method for determining whether you should use a helmet, which was actually proposed by 350, is silly. It doesn't address a lot of other variables such as whether there is enough likelihood of a collision to be really very useful or even necessary in the first place, how do most bike crashes happen, would a helmet be useful in most bike crashes, do they mitigate serious injuries or death or simply deal with minor wounds? All this and more. Simple thinking tends to want to water things down to simple black and white scenarios, such as smashing your head against a wall and seeing which hurts more. In truth, the world isn't usually that black and white or simple. All that really proves is that I'm probably going to wear a helmet if I intend on smashing my head against the wall because it will hurt less. Anything else is a wild-ass guess based on that very simple conclusion.

    Quote Originally Posted by 350htrr
    Well This is iffy ground for me, this scientific stuff, but wasn't it proven by commonsense that the earth was round? Somebody with some commonsense and some brains noticed that the sails of ships coming into port could always be seen first, so where was the ship? Well he applied some commonsense and came up with the brainy answer that the ship was below the horizon because the earth was round, at least that's the way it was when I went to school...
    There's a fine line between declaring something common-sense because... well, just because, and using logical thinking to reach an answer (even moreso because "common sense" is often the refrain sung when someone doesn't like a logical answer that was reached). The latter is absolutely legitimate and is exactly what science and these studies you are so wary of try to do. Use logical thinking to account for variables as best as possible and see what happens. It isn't some mysterious black magic. You can usually go through and read their methodology and why they did it that way.

    As for this wearing a helmet in the shower it's a straw-man argument... And I believe real huszars ride horses, not bicycles...
    It isn't a straw man at all, as much as people who find it inconvenient try to waive it off as such. The question that is really being asked when the shower/ped helmet question is asked is: Is the risk level of riding a bike much greater than these other daily activities that it should necessitate helmet use when cycling, but not performing these activities? Further, will they benefit cyclists in a way that you should wear them riding, but not walking or jogging.

    I mean, if you're just making the point that having a helmet on versus not in a collision is probably better, while I think those crashes that it does help in are a minority within a minority situation, sure, it can help to some extent. But the same could be said of walking, driving, showering, or nearly any other activity. So if you're wanting to show that wearing a helmet is especially prudent compared to not, I think you first need to show that a) the risk is above and beyond other daily activities we never think twice about not wearing a helmet for and b) that they will actually help, and how much will they help (will they prevent brain injury, or just save you a few stitches?). Neither of those two questions has been clearly answered, IMO. With other safety devices, such as seat belts or life-jackets, it has. That's why they aren't really comparable.

    And I'm not a real huszar... but I do play one on TV.
    Last edited by sudo bike; 11-01-12 at 01:31 PM.
    "The bicycle is the noblest invention of mankind. I love the bicycle. I always have. I can think of no sincere, decent human being, male or female, young or old, saint or sinner, who can resist the bicycle."

    - William Saroyan

  22. #3897
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canada, PG BC
    My Bikes
    27 speed oryx
    Posts
    853
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_pedro View Post
    This may be part of the reason why this thread is going on for so long, you are mixing up two things in your response above:

    1) Are you better off wearing a helmet when you hit your head?
    2) Is it a necessity to wear a helmet while biking?

    Now if you answer yes or no to each of these questions, there are 4 possible combination and I have seen people here arguing for 3 of those possible combinations:

    1)yes 2)yes
    1)yes 2)no
    1)no 2)no
    Yea, close, but from my point of view this whole "discussion" is more like;

    1) Are you generally better off wearing a helmet when you hit your head in a bike accident?
    2) Are you generally worse off wearing a helmet when you hit your head in a bike accident?
    3) Is it necessary (should be mandated) to wear a helmet while biking?
    4) Is it a good idea to wear a helmet while biking?
    5) Is it a bad idea to wear a helmet while biking?


    I vote for 1 & 4


    EDIT; OK, sudo bike, I think I was using the wrong word, (commonsense) instead of (logic), that's what happens when English isn't ones mother tongue...
    Last edited by 350htrr; 11-01-12 at 03:16 PM.

  23. #3898
    W A N T E D Juggler2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    498
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    *snip*

    Helmet thread is like a debate about the color green, with one side arguing it is more purple, the other that it is more orange.
    Literally or figuratively?

  24. #3899
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggler2 View Post
    Literally or figuratively?
    The arguments are similar figuratively; the result is the same literally.

  25. #3900
    Senior Member curbtender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SF Bay Area, East bay
    My Bikes
    Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Schwinn Speedster, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina
    Posts
    2,903
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    Point being, you don't know when you're going to be robbed; you never know when you'll crash your bike.

    So you should wear a helmet. Wait, that would mean you should also carry a ***...

    Equating helmet use with *** nuttery open carry paranoia.

    Well played, curbtender, well played indeed. *golf clap*
    That's what I'm saying. You make a choice how far you want to take your comfort zone. And thanks for the CLAP>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •