Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1652. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    175 10.59%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    94 5.69%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    644 38.98%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    403 24.39%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    336 20.34%
Page 277 of 349 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287327 ... LastLast
Results 6,901 to 6,925 of 8711
  1. #6901
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    six

    Your saying that most people do not use available safet equipt. How about the fact that a majority of people now wear seat belts while in their cars.
    Available safety equipment for driving includes five point harnesses, full-face helmets, Nomex driving suits, and HANS devices. The majority of drivers use none of it; hence my point that almost nobody takes advantage of "available safety equipment". Rather, we use what we think appropriate according to circumstances, and most of us are fine with strangers making those decisions for themselves. Why you are having such a fit about it may only be known to your therapist.

    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    Not only do I wear a helmet, I classify my recumbents as safety equiptment. I am lower to the ground and less distance to fall, and I arrive at the scene of the accident feet first rather than head first. There are several more reasons that recumbents are safer. I can list them if you want. Just let me know.
    You can classify your recumbent any way you want and it'll still be a rolling joke among actual cyclists. Aren't you supposed to talk about bicycles on a bicycle website?

  2. #6902
    Senior Member elcruxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    mordor
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rekmeyata View Post
    AGAIN, I DON'T CARE!!! It's about personal freedom to choose! Sticking my finger in a light bulb socket while standing in a bucket of water has been proven to be dangerous, yet the law doesn't say they'll write you ticket if you do so, or that you have to strap yourself into a chair before doing so! Driving a car is dangerous too with or without seat belt on, so you might die sooner without the seat belt so what? it's your life, you control it, you own it, your life doesn't belong to the government and you don't need a nanny state looking over your shoulder all the time.
    If you're not driving alone you should absolutely be mandated to use "the Belt" as it's not solely your safety. Also as you know I'm from a "socialist" country so I do feel some nannying has it's place. Like in a situation where a safety device has absolutely been shown to prevent serious injury _in general_ like "the Belt" and unlike the helmet (helmet might provide personal safety but has not been shown to increase safety in general even with high population use)

    But you know we have the free healthcare so it's sensible to tty to prevent actions of individuals which would cause high costs in terms of healthcare.

  3. #6903
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
    If you're not driving alone you should absolutely be mandated to use "the Belt" as it's not solely your safety. Also as you know I'm from a "socialist" country so I do feel some nannying has it's place. Like in a situation where a safety device has absolutely been shown to prevent serious injury _in general_ like "the Belt" and unlike the helmet (helmet might provide personal safety but has not been shown to increase safety in general even with high population use)

    But you know we have the free healthcare so it's sensible to tty to prevent actions of individuals which would cause high costs in terms of healthcare.
    And there it is, with social medical comes a lot of nanny rules, I guarantee it that if the USA ever gets a true socialist health care system helmets will be required on all cyclists because US studies along with most other countries do show that helmets save lives.

    However a seat belt only saves the life of the user just as helmets do, when a crash happens in car the occupant without a seat belt will fly around and possibly die but the car is crashed and there is nothing that an alive occupant wearing a seatbelt could do afterwards to save the lives of others thus the seat belt as with the helmet is solely for the individual who is wearing either safety.

  4. #6904
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    six

    So you think my recumbents are a rolling joke. How big of you. Isnt that kind of a contradiction in what you post about helmets? You post that everyone should make their own decision on how to ride with or without a helmet. Yet you ride antique DF bikes apparently. You are following right along with all the other sheep riding a bike that is "approved" by the UCI. By their way of thinking we should still have steam trains, and kerosene lamps. Time does move on, and recumbents have proved to be far more modern than DF bikes. Thats why more and more cross country riders are now riding bents. I might add that I dont walk funny after a 6 hour ride on my bents.

    Not only are my recumbent safer for many reasons, I am riding a type of bike that I dont have to buy expensive clothes to protect me from my bike. Show me in any post that I claimed that your riding a DF bike was a joke. Further you might want to take an even handed approach if you want to have people believe you when you say everyone should do as they please, and not be ridiculed for doing it.

  5. #6905
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    six

    Please define an "actual cyclist".

  6. #6906
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    six

    Please define an "actual cyclist".
    Don't waste your breath, Dix is just trying to piss you off, that's his real hobby, he doesn't really cycle at all which is obvious by his supreme knowledge of the cycling world which came out so blatantly in his posts to you, me, and others here.

  7. #6907
    Senior Member elcruxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    mordor
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    I might add that I dont walk funny after a 6 hour ride on my bents.
    neither do I... I personally don't know anyone who does either.

  8. #6908
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    elcruxio

    I have run many a sag stop for my bike club. Doing so I get to observe cyclist.

    I have observed that when DF riders ride into the sag stop, they immediately get off their bikes, shake out their hands, pick at their laundry, and in fact do walk funny. Not all, but most. OTOH bent riders just ride up and stop. Many just set there and finish their water bottles before getting off their bikes. Tell me who is the most comfortable on their respective bikes.

    And since it is a club ride, everyone is wearing a helmet. Our club Ins company demands it.

  9. #6909
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
    neither do I... I personally don't know anyone who does either.
    I know I don't walk funny after 6 hours on any of my bike either, however due to my lower back fusion I cannot ride a bent because it puts too much pressure on that area, I know because I tried a friend's bent.

  10. #6910
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    six

    Still waiting for you to define "actual cyclist". I bet your answer will be really good.

  11. #6911
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,449
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    .
    .
    ... * patiently waiting for the inevitable segue into the "best frame material" discussion *
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  12. #6912
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    six

    Still waiting for your definition of "actual cyclist". BTW before you answer, you might want to google the definition of a bicycle.

  13. #6913
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rydabent View Post
    six

    Still waiting for your definition of "actual cyclist". BTW before you answer, you might want to google the definition of a bicycle.
    You're not going to here back from him, he knows he lost the argument and since his hobby is to piss others off he found the tables turned so he's absent...absent minded that is.

  14. #6914
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I had something better to do. But thanks for your concern.

    As to the definition of "cyclist", I include anyone who rides a bicycle. And I disinclude anyone who rides a sofa, regardless of the number of wheels.

    As for the best material to use in a sofa, I honestly have no idea.

  15. #6915
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    six

    While you say that anyone that rides a bike is a cyclist, for some strange reason you dont include recumbents, or trikes. Could you expand on that reasoning.

    I think you would have a hard time convincing thousands of people that have rode clear across the US or even around the world on recumbents they are not cyclist. Are you that brain washed by the likes of the stiff necked old dictators of the UCI. Are you miffed and angry that virtually all cyclist records are held by recumbents, including just lately that a recumbent trike was the first to the South Pole?

    Or as others have posted are you just trolling and just trying to get my goat since we dont agree with the use of helmets. If that is the case, you are just beating up your keyboard for nothing.

  16. #6916
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Six

    BTW you might like to know that even tho I am 75 I am much faster than most on both my bent, and my trike. The reason-------------the rear wheels on both are 26" inch wheels and the fronts are 20". That means I am going down hill all the time, and so I am much faster. Im sure you can understand that.

  17. #6917
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    Actually, I had something better to do. But thanks for your concern.

    As to the definition of "cyclist", I include anyone who rides a bicycle. And I disinclude anyone who rides a sofa, regardless of the number of wheels.

    As for the best material to use in a sofa, I honestly have no idea.
    Trust me, I had absolutely zero concerns about you...unless you had a life threatening situation or something relatively close then regardless of what I think of you I would still wish you all the best.

    Now back to the snide remarks! You're wrong about bents, wrong, wrong, wrong. Perhaps you need to get your head out of your 7th grade history class and read this: http://www.cyclegenius.com/history.php If you can grasp that then try this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bicycle And bents are faster than regular bicycles on flats, in the wind, and going down hills, however going uphills they are not. Read this comparison: http://www.biketcba.org/TRICORR/compare.html

    There is a lot on the internet about bents being bicycles, it would behoove you, I'm sorry that's a big word for you, it would benefit you to read all you can before making another stupid remark...of course if all you want to do is piss people off than go ahead and make more stupid comments because it will prove to all what we already know about you.

  18. #6918
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well here's an idea: you guys ride whatever you want, however you want, and I'll keep my mouth shut about it entirely. The only catch is that you have to do the same. Deal?

  19. #6919
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Six jours View Post
    Well here's an idea: you guys ride whatever you want, however you want, and I'll keep my mouth shut about it entirely. The only catch is that you have to do the same. Deal?
    this makes no sense, if you don't say anything stupid like bents aren't bicycles then we don't say anything about it either, so I guess if your mouth is shut about it then so is ours due to the nature of the conversation...there isn't one!! LMAO!!!

  20. #6920
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,881
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No matter how low I set my expectations, you still manage to surprise me.

  21. #6921
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A demitasse would fit your head like a sombrero.

  22. #6922
    Can'tre Member 3alarmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    ,location, location...
    My Bikes
    old ones
    Posts
    7,449
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terrierman View Post
    No wonder everybody hates you.

  23. #6923
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    six

    Just to keep up my end of the conversation, maybe you could expand on your disrespect of recumbent bikes. Did you have your handle bar grips blown off by a recumbent blowing by you? Was that evil speedburner on that bent wearing a helmet?

    I bet is was a huge shock to you, a fast bent with a rider wearing a helmet!!!
    Last edited by rydabent; 02-16-14 at 07:37 AM.

  24. #6924
    Senior Member rekmeyata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,742
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    There is no worse comedy in the world then to watch a couple of grownups act like 4 year olds.

    But that bike was a very interesting bike, I've never seen one of those even back in my childhood days, makes me wonder if it was custom made for the movie or a real vintage bike.

  25. #6925
    Senior Member rydabent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lincoln Ne
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus TerraTrike Cruiser
    Posts
    3,885
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rek

    A lot of PeeWee's bike looks like a '50s bike, but Hollywood dolled it up for the movie of course.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •