Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

View Poll Results: Helmet wearing habits?

Voters
1650. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've never worn a bike helmet

    174 10.55%
  • I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped

    94 5.70%
  • I've always worn a helmet

    644 39.03%
  • I didn't wear a helmet, but now do

    402 24.36%
  • I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions

    336 20.36%
Page 311 of 349 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321 ... LastLast
Results 7,751 to 7,775 of 8704
  1. #7751
    Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    5,278
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon

    According to a leading neurosurgeon bike helmets a to flimsy to really protect the head/brain.

    Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon - Telegraph

    This I can agree with.......to a point.

    The problem is, as I see it, is weight and cooling that can't be had with heavier materials. All other type of helmets use plastics ,and padding, that had pounds, not ounces, to the rider to supply the energy to move. I guess it comes down to "thinking" you have protection when you really don't know for sure.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

    Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

  2. #7752
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may weigh a bit more, I'm sure enough for racers or racer wannabees to notice, but certainly not for me to notice, but I've never seen or heard of a bicycle helmet made from EPP. They are all EPS. EPP would have a bit more energy absorption properties than EPS.

    Military helmets are the only ones I know of made from EPP. I work in EPP manufacturing. I'll have to ask my ex-boss why we aren't going after bicycle helmets. He's my ex-boss because he recently moved to vice president. He can't be vice president and have a peon like me working under him, LOL. Now I work under the engineering department, so I have lots of folks to ask about this.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  3. #7753
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    It may weigh a bit more, I'm sure enough for racers or racer wannabees to notice, but certainly not for me to notice, but I've never seen or heard of a bicycle helmet made from EPP. They are all EPS. EPP would have a bit more energy absorption properties than EPS.

    Military helmets are the only ones I know of made from EPP. I work in EPP manufacturing. I'll have to ask my ex-boss why we aren't going after bicycle helmets. He's my ex-boss because he recently moved to vice president. He can't be vice president and have a peon like me working under him, LOL. Now I work under the engineering department, so I have lots of folks to ask about this.
    "By combining polypropylene resin with magic dust, and applying heat, pressure and CO in an autoclave, the material is formed into small plastic beads."

    Source: EPP: A Leading Plastic Foam Material that Solves Design Challenges

  4. #7754
    Member CourtJester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well a bike helmet may not be a cure all but it beats a blank.
    This was at about 15 mph with no helmet. It may not have saved the face, but according to the Dr. it would have saved me from a fractured skull. Never ride without one now.


  5. #7755
    Senior Member Homebrew01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ffld Cnty Connecticut
    My Bikes
    Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales
    Posts
    15,588
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    :
    Bikes: Old steel race bikes, old Cannondale race bikes, less old Cannondale race bike, crappy old mtn bike

  6. #7756
    vol
    vol is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,509
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    According to a leading neurosurgeon bike helmets a to flimsy to really protect the head/brain.

    Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon - Telegraph
    OP, by all means please (also) post this to the Helmet thread.

    I find this quote of the Olympic medalist James Cracknell quite hypocritical:
    "Even if you don't care enough about yourself to wear a helmet other people care about you." I highly doubt that those who want to force everyone to wear a helmet on the bike do so out of genuinely caring about others.

    (Btw the reader comments are quite entertaining )

    CourtJester, sorry for your injury--looks bad; hope you are completely recovered. The injury notwithstanding, would like to know how you fell.

  7. #7757
    Member CourtJester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vol View Post
    OP, by all means please (also) post this to the Helmet thread.

    I find this quote of the Olympic medalist James Cracknell quite hypocritical:
    "Even if you don't care enough about yourself to wear a helmet other people care about you." I highly doubt that those who want to force everyone to wear a helmet on the bike do so out of genuinely caring about others.

    (Btw the reader comments are quite entertaining )

    CourtJester, sorry for your injury--looks bad; hope you are completely recovered. The injury notwithstanding, would like to know how you fell.
    Thanks, I'm good now. That was about 7 years ago and I didn't ride much at all at the time. I lost a few memories, staggered dizzy for a while, and didn't have the balance to ride for about six months but everything but the memories came back. I still have zero clue what happened. I remember ridding out of the garage and the next thing I remeber is getting my shoulder and head exrayed but couldn't see anything.
    I will say that it’s gotten me off the hook for forgetting my anniversary more than a few times.
    Last edited by CourtJester; 05-31-14 at 09:56 PM.

  8. #7758
    Senior Member loneviking61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Carson City, NV
    My Bikes
    Schwinn 700c, Schwinn Varsity
    Posts
    376
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    According to a leading neurosurgeon bike helmets a to flimsy to really protect the head/brain.

    Cycle helmets are useless, says brain surgeon - Telegraph

    This I can agree with.......to a point.

    The problem is, as I see it, is weight and cooling that can't be had with heavier materials. All other type of helmets use plastics ,and padding, that had pounds, not ounces, to the rider to supply the energy to move. I guess it comes down to "thinking" you have protection when you really don't know for sure.
    This surgeon is talking about car vs bike accidents, and in those cases helmets are largely useless. I worked for several years at a hospital in a resort area and saw plenty of bike wrecks come in.

    Where the helmet was useful was in wipeouts at less than 20 mph. Road riders hitting something and being catapulted over the handlebars or hitting gravel and going down. Mountain bikers bombing down trails and wiping out into granite boulders and trees. In those cases, a helmet may save your life.

  9. #7759
    Walmart bike rider gpsblake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    1,663
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always tell people to do this to see if helmets work or not.

    Take a hammer. Put on your helmet. Tap your helmet on your head a few times with the hammer... Then take off the helmet and do the same with the hammer.... It hurts a lot more without the helmet doesn't it???????

    Helmets aren't perfect but they do offer a level of protection... They can prevent you from being de-scalped in an accident. Or having a blunt object enter your skull....

    Bike helmets are a compromise though, a much better helmet would be a full face helmet but it's rather bulky and wouldn't be worn.....

  10. #7760
    Senior Member elcruxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    mordor
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsblake View Post
    I always tell people to do this to see if helmets work or not.

    Take a hammer. Put on your helmet. Tap your helmet on your head a few times with the hammer... Then take off the helmet and do the same with the hammer.... It hurts a lot more without the helmet doesn't it???????

    Helmets aren't perfect but they do offer a level of protection... They can prevent you from being de-scalped in an accident. Or having a blunt object enter your skull....

    Bike helmets are a compromise though, a much better helmet would be a full face helmet but it's rather bulky and wouldn't be worn.....
    It's a good thing I don't ride around hammer swinging maniacs then. If I did I might consider a helmet more useful.

    Btw. I do the same thing to people who are going into houses. I take a wooden object with an edge and ask people whether it would be less or more painful to be whacked with said object with/without helmet on. The times I would have been spared a bump or a bleeding head wound if only I had worn a helmet inside buildings.

  11. #7761
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,439
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Many forms of cycling involve practically no head contact, or even de-biking.

    I went out on some new - to - me mtb trails the other day. Crashed 3 times. Helmet a pretty good PPE choice. Tomorrow morn I ride to store and back. 10 miles @ 13 mph average. Helmet is overkill in the PPE department for that ride, in my opinion. Tomorrow evening is STXC race. Can't race without a lid and it's a pretty good PPE decision also, as far as I'm concerned.

    I'll never understand the hammer and baseball bat clowns. What point do they really think they're making?
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  12. #7762
    Quirky Grifter LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vancouver, USA
    My Bikes
    My War
    Posts
    20,439
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post

    Btw. I do the same thing to people who are going into houses. I take a wooden object with an edge and ask people whether it would be less or more painful to be whacked with said object with/without helmet on. The times I would have been spared a bump or a bleeding head wound if only I had worn a helmet inside buildings.
    I got knocked out exiting the shower in 2009 or so. Still showering sans-lid.

    -organ donor.
    Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 06-04-14 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
    1980ish Free Spirit Sunbird fixed * 1996 Mongoose IBOC Zero-G * 1997 KHS Comp * 1990-ish Scapin * Lemond Buenos Aires Triple

  13. #7763
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    charlotte nc
    My Bikes
    Airbourne,2006 QR Caliente
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    First No helmet ride

    So I went out for my Sunday road ride and noticed I wasn't wearing my helmet. I said oh well one time shouldn't kill me. So I wanted to see if cars reacted any different. The amount of room I was given when the cars passed me was considerably more. Does anyone ride without a helmet all the time?

  14. #7764
    Free Velo Vol! Velo Vol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    My Bikes
    Velo Volmobile
    Posts
    19,786
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    No.

    I'm dumb enough to road cycle, but I'm not that dumb.

  15. #7765
    Senior Member elcruxio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    mordor
    My Bikes
    2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro
    Posts
    697
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Constantly. When going to the shops, Uni, bar, post office etc I never wear one. When road riding or mountain biking I usually wear a helmet if there is nothing stopping me.

    I have to point out that my riding habits are quite different when doing day to day stuff and when I'm doing it for the fun of it. Daily day is just getting around slowly and calmly. Fun stuff is an adrenalin filled boost of speed, daring curves and scetchy city riding.

  16. #7766
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Laurinburg, NC
    My Bikes
    '11 Focus Culebro, '97 Raleigh R700, '92 Paramount Series 5, '93 Diamondback Axis TR
    Posts
    964
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to go with no helmet back when no one did. Started wearing one when I got into mountain biking in the early 90's. Seems like that's one of the things MTBing brought to the road scene.

  17. #7767
    A might bewildered... Dudelsack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Loovul
    My Bikes
    Bacchetta Giro ATT 26; Lemond Buenos Aires
    Posts
    6,286
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ibtm

  18. #7768
    Senior Member OldsCOOL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    northern michigan
    My Bikes
    '88 Cannondale Criterium, Trek Pro Series
    Posts
    4,853
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only worn a helmet 3 seasons now and never during a casual ride.

    This thread will get moved.
    Having a flat tire as part of the total cycling experience is highly overrated. Knowing how to fix one quickly is not.

    '85 Trek 460 road racer

    '89 Raleigh Technium PRE

    '79 Motobecane Super Mirage

  19. #7769
    Senior Member RPK79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    SE MN
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix Pro
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dudelsack View Post
    ibtm
    +1

  20. #7770
    rugged individualist wphamilton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    My Bikes
    Nashbar Road
    Posts
    6,067
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yugyug View Post
    Where I live there is a mandatory helmet law. I see this often too. I guess its because going in and out of the central business district there are a few hotspots where police conduct sting operations and fine helmetless cyclists, so the cyclists put it on there and then take it off later.

    I ride helmetless and got a ticket in on such hotspot this morning!

    But I won't buy a helmet and hang it off the bars - I agree thats ridiculous
    I thought about this thread this morning (welcome to the official quarantines helmet thread btw) when I stopped at the store and hung the helmet on the bars for the rest of the trip in.

    The helmet on the bars is there to be potentially worn when you need it. The helmet is on your head for when you potentially need it. Since the potential is so slight in either case there objectively isn't a whole lot of difference.

    Incidentally we have a city code requiring a helmet on the MUP I sometimes use, and no requirement for city streets. I am a good citizen and try to be a good example so I wear one on the MUP. On the roads it's a distinct decision on a given ride whether I'll take one. Taking one, I'll usually wear it but if I decide at some point to take it off I'll do that without hesitation. These are all decision points based on risk evaluations and other factors - it's no big deal either way, and it's not at all illogical.

  21. #7771
    Senior Member mrodgers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Western PA
    My Bikes
    2014 Giant Escape 1, Junk Walmart Job - Mongoose DXR mountain bike
    Posts
    883
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
    "By combining polypropylene resin with magic dust, and applying heat, pressure and CO in an autoclave, the material is formed into small plastic beads."

    Source: EPP: A Leading Plastic Foam Material that Solves Design Challenges
    Gonna have to talk to Steve about that one. Not so professional looking on our site trying to look professional. I'll tell him the guys discussing bike helmets on a cycling site were laughing and making fun of that descriptive statement.
    Ride no faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

  22. #7772
    SpIn SpIn SuGaR! FIVE ONE SIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,896
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joshnc View Post
    So I went out for my Sunday road ride and noticed I wasn't wearing my helmet. I said oh well one time shouldn't kill me. So I wanted to see if cars reacted any different. The amount of room I was given when the cars passed me was considerably more. Does anyone ride without a helmet all the time?
    the only wear one if i go on a group organized ride, where they're mandatory, otherwise i never wear one on the road. and it's been a proven fact for years that motorists will respect a ride without a helmet more than a rider with a helmet. and that's strictly because they think the helmet will save a rider from pretty much anything, which any real road cyclist knows is not true, while they don't want anything to do with a rider not wearing a helmet because they feel they have a higher chance of getting hurt or worse in an accident and they don't want anything to do with that...

  23. #7773
    Senior Member Shimagnolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Zang's Spur, CO
    Posts
    6,356
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrodgers View Post
    Gonna have to talk to Steve about that one. Not so professional looking on our site trying to look professional. I'll tell him the guys discussing bike helmets on a cycling site were laughing and making fun of that descriptive statement.
    This is the first thing I thought of when I read that: Cheech and Chong - Santa and the Magic Dust - YouTube

  24. #7774
    Junior Member Huffamoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a new guy here, And one that has no Set opinion on helmets one way or the other. The Non helmet wearing side has no solid ground to stand on when calling the Helmet crusaders zealots and nasty. Granted I didn't read the thread that was locked that lead to this one but there is at least an equal amount of vitriol from the non wearing side from what I read. If this comes from them being outnumbered I'm not sure. My gut says that if a car backs into me and I head butt a parked car the helmet can only help. Will it help me if I am hit by a car doing 65? Harder to tell but most likely not. For full disclosure I just started riding and I have been wearing a helmet. I came here to learn if it was worth it.. I still don't know.

  25. #7775
    Senior Member Nachoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Point Loma, CA
    My Bikes
    Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)
    Posts
    12,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10% of you never wear helmets?
    Are you yahoo renegades?
    .
    .

    Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •